As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    What I'm getting from recent news is that Teslas are neither safe to be inside or be around.

Every other day there's a story about one exploding or changing lanes on a whim.

I'll own a self driving car a couple decades after we can successfully program a self checkout station

also, my hyundai has a 'collision detector' that will automatically brake my car. it's damn near killed me once and ran me off the road another time. both times I was the only car on the road and in zero danger of anything (well except driving a hyundai)

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    yo what if the cosmological principle isn't true

g2cw0n8i3r4d.jpg

harumph

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    YouTube just recommended me this video

https://youtu.be/PqbB07n_uQ4

I don't 100% understand what I'm watching here, but having never really paid any attention to anything about AI I'm now having a bit of an existential crisis. Somebody say something reassuring.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Fossilized footprints of multiple humans have been found at White Sands National Park in New Mexico, dated at least 21,000 years old, and possibly more than 23,000. Clovis First is basically a dead theory already but getting evidence from the same dang state that's 10,000 years older and not questionable is sticking a fork in it, too.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Does merely "calling for" blowing up pipelines make a person a terrorist?

• Options
    Id even go so far as to say blowing up corporate infrastructure wouldnt make you a terrorist but I have funny ideas about what terror means and what terrorism is

• Options
    Oh for sure, "terrorist" is applied far too liberally today.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Blowing up people for more oil is patriotism.

Blowing up pipes for less oil is terrorism.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'd go so far as to suggest blowing up pipes can be considered legitimate self-defense.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I’d suggest that blowing up pipes is a temporary setback the company can work to milk its insurance and the public teat, as well as an environmental disaster at the location of the break even if the stuff doesn’t catch fire. All the actually important and expensive gear is in the pumping stations and refineries and you don’t actually want or need explosions to shut those down catastrophically.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hunting and eating rex tillerson is a victimless crime

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I’d suggest that blowing up pipes is a temporary setback the company can work to milk its insurance and the public teat, as well as an environmental disaster at the location of the break even if the stuff doesn’t catch fire. All the actually important and expensive gear is in the pumping stations and refineries and you don’t actually want or need explosions to shut those down catastrophically.

Reminds me of one of my favorite bits of storytelling in the opening level of FF7 Remake.
    Avalanche wrecked the reactor's console with a localized bomb but otherwise left everything unharmed. Shinra is the one that exploded the rest of the reactor and then some to make it a spectacle they could pin on terrorism to justify tightening their authoritarian control.

• Options
    Terrorist labels for some, tiny American flags for others.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Someone could also damage the pipeline when it is still empty

• Options
    How about we just get rid of fossil fuel subsidies and put that money toward green energy subsidies.

Oh wait that will never happen because fossil fuels control our politicians with legal bribes

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Science is stupid and should just shut up for a while, I'd like a nap.

• Options
    Science is stupid and should just shut up for a while, I'd like a nap.

I mean you can just pretend it doesn't exist. Lots of people do that. Some of them die, but whatever.

• Options
    a professor at
    @SJSU
    , elizabeth weiss (the widow of notorious 'scientific' racist & eugenicist j. philippe rushton) is here fighting to keep hold of the skeletal remains of native americans in the wake of a bill ordering their repatriation
    Quote Tweet
    Elizabeth Weiss
    @eweissunburied
    · Aug 31
    The skeletal collection I curate @SJSU is in danger of being reburied -- as are all California Native American collections! Here's my @mercnews & @eastbaytimes op-ed on this issue, championing science over religion. #NAGPRA #anthrotwitter @SJSUNewsroom

https://mercurynews.com/2021/08/31/8314049-native-american-remains-uc-ab275-graves/

lmao this you?
    Oof this abstract - EUGENICS, Elizabeth?

ohhh goddamn she's doubling down on this shit! this absolute bullshit!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Eugenics? Isn't that Phrenology? Or did I miss something in skimming through that garbage?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Eugenics? Isn't that Phrenology? Or did I miss something in skimming through that garbage?

Phrenology exists under the broader umbrella of eugenics

Like the Cherry Coke to eugenics' Coke Classic

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Her article first links races to intelligence, so the eugenics happens before she gets into the supporting phrenology.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Eugenics is just phrenology with a hat on.

• Options
    My name is Elizabeth White and now you know everything about me

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Eugenics is just phrenology with a hat on.

Can’t have your skull analyzed if you have a hat on

xl9fyhx5arjs.jpeg

• Options
    I was going to weigh up whether destroying pipes or assassinating employees would be more effective but ultimately both are just cogs in the machine and are easily replaced. Even the CEOs are replaceable, God knows they provide nothing of value. But the Company and its will to make more money lives on no matter how many ants die.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    How dare the government try and take my almost assuredly illegally obtained skeletons!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Scientists have discovered a massive 'mega-comet', possibly 160km, out past the orbit of Uranus. Originating in the Oort cloud, its trajectory will bring it in close to the orbit of Saturn before it starts moving out again, but it is already beginning to show signs of a tail and its extraordinary size make for one of the most interesting discoveries in the field of comets in years.

https://www.space.com/giant-comet-bernardinelli-bernstein-discovery-size-activity
    Scientists briefly estimated that Comet Bernardinelli-Bernstein, as it's now known, was the largest such icy body identified to date, perhaps more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) across. Additional observations have cast that into doubt, but given the "megacomet" a new distinction: it sprouted a tail remarkably far from the sun, suggesting more revelations to come. All told, the object offers astronomers an unprecedented opportunity to watch the antics of a comet

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yes there’s an oort cloud around the orbit of uranus

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Daaaang that's cool

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    More cool science!

NOAA has a small fleet of Saildrones - remotely piloted ocean vessels loaded with weather detection equipment. Anyway, it kitted up one of these remotes with an extra strong sail, put on some heavy weather equipment and...

https://youtu.be/uQM_03zuSAI

That's footage of waves inside a Cat 4 hurricane.
    The Saildrone Explorer SD 1045 was directed into the midst of Hurricane Sam, a category 4 hurricane, which is currently on a path that fortunately will miss the U.S. east coast. SD1045 is battling 50 foot waves and winds of over 120 mph to collect critical scientific data and, in the process, is giving us a completely new view of one of earth’s most destructive forces.

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/world-first-ocean-drone-captures-video-from-inside-hurricane

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVzPMZqOTo4

I guess we're suddenly way better at modelling proteins now! That's cool!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I just got to review a scientific paper! Unfortunately I couldn't recommend it for publication.
    The authors of the manuscript I reviewed had discovered a splice site mutation in a particular gene (I'm being vague to preserve confidentiality). Now, properly defining the effects of a splice site mutation typically requires RNA from cells that express the affected gene. For some genes, that RNA is easy to get, but things get tricky when a gene is only expressed in very specific tissues, like the retina for example, since people tend to have strong feelings about being de-eyeballed for science. In these cases it's common to use a minigene assay instead: cut out a chunk of the gene with the mutation in it, put it into a reporter gene in some immortalised cells, let them grow for a while and see how they process it. It's fiddly and not 100% accurate, since you're chucking out all the contextual sequence surrounding your gene-chunk, but it's a pretty close approximation when done properly and certainly better than nothing. This is the approach the authors of the manuscript took.

Except... they didn't need to. Their gene is expressed in blood cells, and they already had blood from the patient. All they had to do was extract RNA from the blood sample! Provided you're already doing batch analyses of other samples, that amounts to a few minutes extra work for one person. Literally everyone who's ever worked on this gene has done it that way because of course they have, why would you do more work for worse results? I've simply got no idea what they were thinking.

Butler on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I just got to review a scientific paper! Unfortunately I couldn't recommend it for publication.
    The authors of the manuscript I reviewed had discovered a splice site mutation in a particular gene (I'm being vague to preserve confidentiality). Now, properly defining the effects of a splice site mutation typically requires RNA from cells that express the affected gene. For some genes, that RNA is easy to get, but things get tricky when a gene is only expressed in very specific tissues, like the retina for example, since people tend to have strong feelings about being de-eyeballed for science. In these cases it's common to use a minigene assay instead: cut out a chunk of the gene with the mutation in it, put it into a reporter gene in some immortalised cells, let them grow for a while and see how they process it. It's fiddly and not 100% accurate, since you're chucking out all the contextual sequence surrounding your gene-chunk, but it's a pretty close approximation when done properly and certainly better than nothing. This is the approach the authors of the manuscript took.

Except... they didn't need to. Their gene is expressed in blood cells, and they already had blood from the patient. All they had to do was extract RNA from the blood sample! Provided you're already doing batch analyses of other samples, that amounts to a few minutes extra work for one person. Literally everyone who's ever worked on this gene has done it that way because of course they have, why would you do more work for worse results? I've simply got no idea what they were thinking.

I will bet actual real life dollars that using the primary tissue didn't give them the results they wanted so they tried the second method to try and get something out of it.

• Options
    Can anyone explain constructor theory? Is anything to it? Does it make new testable theories about physics, or even offer more elegant explanations of what we already know?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Sounds like it's just a transformation of existing laws into a different mathematical form.
    So it may not make new predictions or provide more insight, but if it's equivalent, it might make for more intuitive explanations of things we already know.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    As far as I can tell, constructor theory is a way to describe things without worrying about the precise mathematics behind what you are describing. So in constructor theory, force isn't mass times acceleration, it's a body acting on another body with the expected outcome being object 1 doing X and object 2 doing Y.

It feels very much like an engineer's take on experimental physics

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYc97J2MZIo

My take on it is that describing physics using constructor theory can help you figure out sensible approaches or a limited search space for testing things. The specific example in the video above is that if you can design an experiment showing that gravity can induce quantum entanglement, then you have shown that gravity must have quantum properties. It provides no particular insight on how to design such an experiment.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I think we all kind of suspected this sort of thing was happening, but it's another thing entirely to see it mapped out so starkly like this

Source: Charles Ornstein, managing editor at ProPublica
    New: The EPA allows polluters to turn neighborhoods into “sacrifice zones” where residents breathe carcinogens.
    @ProPublica reveals where these places are in a first-of-its-kind map and data analysis.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/toxmap-poison-in-the-air

Source: Erin Biba, freelance science journalist
    These are almost entirely black neighborhoods. And this is why we're *constantly* saying that climate and environmental justice is social justice.

We've always known marginalized communities were sacrificed this way, but these maps make it impossible for polluters to deny.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Breaking: "U.S. Space Command is aware of a debris-generating event in outer space. We are actively working to characterize the debris field and will continue to ensure all space-faring nations have the information necessary to maneuver satellites if impacted.” - US Space Command

More: The US is very concerned about a major Russian anti-satellite weapons test conducted over the weekend and the State Department is preparing to put out a statement on the matter today, two US officials tell me and my colleague @kylieatwood

Brolo on
This discussion has been closed.