As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean volcanice is right there.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    'Ice volcanoes'? Look just because you have PhDs doesn't mean you can just make things up to take the piss.

astrophysicists are the least creative nerds in the world

Don't forget about WIMPs and MACHOs.

Or MERLIN and MAGIC and ELF and DRAGN.

Though, let's be honest, most are like the VLA; the Very Large Array.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Could be worse, you can always end up with STEVE.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Using a drone, photographer Lior Patel captured an impressive timelapse that shows sheep racing across the agricultural landscape [video: https://t.co/GEuJAOkxKZ] [author's site: https://t.co/jYbVZSPtQo] https://t.co/mbBHnAMgVS

SHEEPSWARM: HERD MODE

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I love that so much

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Rare to see SciShow going knives-out for a current event in science, but in this case it's very well justified.

An Alzheimer’s Drug That Doesn’t Treat Alzheimer’s? (12:33)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3iTqShlvBU

This was a great explainer, but didn't get into the policy ramifications: it could basically double spending on Medicare Part B because of the large overlap of the potential users with Medicare beneficiaries and the high annual cost of the medication, leading to higher premiums for all beneficiaries. It's pretty bonkers!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You just let this twitching tarry blob slither up your nose and do its thing and when its done we'll just leave it in there in case you need it again

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh man if that li'l blob could sort out the tangled, haphazard wiring in my brain and organize them and put them in clips and stuff, I'd snort it up like coke.

get in there, get to work.

tangentially related, I once read this pulp post-apocalyptic book where this guy was a psychic, but a more powerful psychic burned out the part of his brain where psychic powers live. but it's okay because a snail the size of a skyscraper made a tendril (it had tendrils) microscopic and it went into his brain and fixed his psychic powers.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Brolo wrote: »

Using a drone, photographer Lior Patel captured an impressive timelapse that shows sheep racing across the agricultural landscape [video: https://t.co/GEuJAOkxKZ] [author's site: https://t.co/jYbVZSPtQo] https://t.co/mbBHnAMgVS

SHEEPSWARM: HERD MODE

My first thought was “this looks like the Cavaliers blowing my mind with new drill formations/movements again”

Sheeps bleating probably sound as good as their horn line too

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Also
    xtvrrjyvbq8l.jpeg

Way to slip that in past the point most people stop reading cause it’s boring

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    'Ice volcanoes'? Look just because you have PhDs doesn't mean you can just make things up to take the piss.

yd8b99q15tib.png

https://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=1452#comic
    ctn37qgzqtb5.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    this could be... big?

new heat engine with no moving parts is as efficient as a steam turbine

a-new-heat-engine-with.jpg
    Engineers at MIT and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) have designed a heat engine with no moving parts. Their new demonstrations show that it converts heat to electricity with over 40 percent efficiency—a performance better than that of traditional steam turbines.

this could be HUGE

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    That link is broken

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's so big it broke the link.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Assuming this isn’t some sort of special condition exception, RTGs just became unbelievable - NASA’s next-gen probes will love it.
    If it’s scalable to industrial levels then we can finally free ourselves of turbine halls on … well every thermal reactor use… the space savings alone…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Assuming this isn’t some sort of special condition exception, RTGs just became unbelievable - NASA’s next-gen probes will love it.
    If it’s scalable to industrial levels then we can finally free ourselves of turbine halls on … well every thermal reactor use… the space savings alone…

Special condition would be that it needs temperatures in the 2000-2400C range to work. That's well above the melting point of steel for example. Existing RTGs run 1000C on the high end.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that is a pretty important caveat to this tech yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Twitter was going nuts last night about Higgs Boson or whatever in the way that everything is gonna change and would anyone in here know what that's about. I figure there's something just not the overreaction obfuscating it

Madican on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Twitter was going nuts last night about Higgs Boson or whatever in the way that everything is gonna change and would anyone in here know what that's about. I figure there's something just not the overreaction obfuscating it

Disclaimer: I actually know fuck-all, especially about anything reported specifically within the last day. This is my version of the news from the past two weeks or so on the particle physics front, presented mostly for my own understanding.

So there are building blocks of matter that are smaller than protons, neutrons, and electrons. The thing is, once you get to things that are that tiny, they're held together by forces powerful enough that those things would really, really rather be protons, neutrons, and electrons, than just themselves. So it's hard to detect them individually. Science has chosen to address this by building a giant-ass racetrack for small particles, whipping some of them clockwise and others counter-clockwise until they get lucky and two lumps of matter going in opposite directions smash into each other, and then examine the wreckage before it congeals back into the stuff we already know about.

It turns out that there are a lot of distinct pieces to those protons, neutrons, and electrons, and science keeps finding new ones and using the measurements it takes about the ones it found to guess what the rest of the them are going to look like. Well, there's one particular piece that science has been having trouble finding a copy of, but within the past couple weeks... one showed up! They caught it on camera, weighed it, measured it, all that jazz.

Aaaand... it was smaller than expected. And not just a little smaller than expected; by the measures of how far a thing is outside of expectations, it was really fuckin' smaller than expected. Which means either the tools fucked up and science took a bad measurement, or, if we keep finding ones around this size, a lot of the math we already have is wrong. And with science, when your math is wrong, that means you get to create new math.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Thanks, I'm still working on the math I have. Does science do doggy bags?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    All I know is 5 minus 4 equals Gallows

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The latest chapter in the What The Hell Did Spinosaurs Actually Do And Stuff story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBdxRkXbYM

tl;dr they probably weren't Mega-Crocs, they were Hell-Herons!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I eagerly await the next chapter wherein we learn they were actually more like sandworms.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    The latest chapter in the What The Hell Did Spinosaurs Actually Do And Stuff story:

*looks at giant birds vs giant reptiles*

... Can we have the mega-crocs back instead? I feel we'd have a better chance against that in the event of a mad science escapee.

• Options
    Oh my first quick glance at that thumb indicated that was “giant fisting dinosaurs” and that was a giant ulna that chap was holding up

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

*looks at giant birds vs giant reptiles*

... Can we have the mega-crocs back instead? I feel we'd have a better chance against that in the event of a mad science escapee.

Oh there were actual mega crocs too, don't worry!

Well, obviously worry. Don't worry that you won't have to worry about mega-crocs, is what I mean.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

[SNIP]

This is all still in flux. There was just a histological study on bone density in a broad range of dinosaurs which suggested Spinosaurus (and Baryonyx, but not Suchomimus) were well adapted to subaqueous foraging.

• Options
    I found both arguments convincing. I just like saying 'Hell-Heron'!

NB: I have to admit that I kinda think about the fishing in a place that would support Spinosaurids in either capacity.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i choose to believe that every "how dinosaurs ate and hunted" theory is true and they simply shifted with the seasons. take THAT scientists

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I can't wait until we invent time machines and start figuring out how weird dinosaur behavior really was. T-rex all burying its head and filter-feeding on termite mounds. Ankylosaurs all being stealthy and patient arboreal ambush hunters.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    We might also note that individuals with a species can have different strategies, especially larger animals

• Options
    "Judging by the fossil record, the goose was a large, clumsy waterfowl that could fly long distances but couldn't take off very quickly. It most likely spent its life avoiding the shores of ponds and lakes for protection from predators, and would have been easy prey for anything that caught it on dry land."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That's not really realistic since paleontologists are kinda obsessed with adult animals of different species fighting each other!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I say we just go back to thinking they're the bones of giants and dragons and cyclopses and shit

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    "Judging by the fossil record, the goose was a large, clumsy waterfowl that could fly long distances but couldn't take off very quickly. It most likely spent its life avoiding the shores of ponds and lakes for protection from predators, and would have been easy prey for anything that caught it on dry land."

For geese and swans, specifically, I like this take on a what a shrink-wrapping paleontologist might've made them look like:
    ujDUCmM.png
    (source: All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals)

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

“It’s full of stars!” ✨

This mosaic represents a sparkling turning point as we #UnfoldTheUniverse. #NASAWebb’s mirrors are now fully aligned! Next is instrument calibration, the final phase before Webb is ready for science: https://go.nasa.gov/3OJWBD1

Big ol' image here.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

“It’s full of stars!” ✨

This mosaic represents a sparkling turning point as we #UnfoldTheUniverse. #NASAWebb’s mirrors are now fully aligned! Next is instrument calibration, the final phase before Webb is ready for science: https://go.nasa.gov/3OJWBD1

Big ol' image here.

"The optical performance of the telescope continues to be better than the engineering team’s most optimistic predictions."

A most excellent sentence!

This discussion has been closed.