Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Chibnall's version of the Master was jealous that the Doctor was special and he punished the Time Lords for it.

The Doctor was just this guy, but now there was something more to him. They hinted at that in Old Who.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Eve of the Daleks is good. Like not just good for a Chibs episode, just good. Suspiciously so. Like I legit have a conspiracy theory that Aisling Bea rewrote all the dialogue because it's so far beyond what Chibs can normally manage.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Except that the weird stalkery behaviour was forgiven incredibly quickly

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    They did a lot of livin' and dyin' to focus the mind!

Honestly the fact that anyone acknowledged how fucking weird he was being is surprising to me. That's actually one of the reasons I think the actors had some heavy input on the dialogue.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Unrelated, did y'all see Forbidden Planet is selling a gold variant of Fourteen's sonic?

y53qlokjecmm.jpg

That actually looks better than the real color scheme IMO. Always thought the lil gold bit at the bottom clashed with the overall silver look. Turns out making the whole thing gold resolves that issue for me!

I hope the "porcelain" section is indeed darker/yellowed like in the examples on the right. The one in the box looks the same as the regular toy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The episodes are on Disney+ right now. Space Babies is a very Davies episode.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

c1nnxi4j2m92.gif

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

c1nnxi4j2m92.gif

It is very Davies in it's silliness. You will see.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    There's always a twist at the end....

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    There's always a twist at the end....

See, they don't have a word for "pond,"..

• Options
    Devil's Chord
    The Doctor is having some bad luck. He keeps running into gods.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I wasn't expecting two episodes to drop, so I saw "Space Babies" for now and will watch the second new episode tomorrow. I didn't think it was as good as the specials or the season premiere / special 4 (Disney+ seems to list it as both,) but it was still a lot of silly fun.
    It sort of reminded me of that webcomic Ronnie was doing after Whomp. I enjoyed the "nanny filter" gags, as well as The Doctor relating to The Bogeyman as last of their kinds.
    Speaking of which, Gallifrey is still dead again after the Chinail era. Anyone want to place bets on how long it'll last this time?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Gallifrey
    I guess the Master wiped out everyone.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Ncuti really isn't good at selling me on being sad or serious. He exudes joyful silliness extremely well though. Those were both extremely silly episodes, with much more emphasis on sci-fantasy versus sci-fi.
    I wouldn't have saved the monster made of genetic ally engineered snot, even if it was the last of it's kind. Let it get ripped apart in the airlock. 😁

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The video about casting Ncuti said that they were looking for an actor that can do comedy because, and I quote "all actors can do tragedy, they are all trained to be sad on the rain". With the iconic sad Doctor gif lmao.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPikSFYPlE
    Seen a bit of this, Ncuti can do comedy, the physical parts and the heartful speeches, he'll be fine as long as the writing isn't dreck.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 11
    Only watched Space Babies so far. Will save the other one for next week, since we weren't expecting two to drop at once.

It was...silly. Very silly. Not sure if it was just "super fun" very silly or "weird" very silly yet.

Two questions though:
    1. What, specifically, was the Star Trek reference at the start? Did I hear that right? Was that supposed to be a cheeky "Disney is coming for Paramount next" line?
    2. Was the snot alien supposed to very particularly evoke Alien, since that's now also owned by Disney? Was that why the Doctor said it looked "very familiar"? Like, was I just reading too much into that, or was it not just me?

(ETA: spoiler tags. Stupid posting on mobile).

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Only watched Space Babies so far. Will save the other one for next week, since we weren't expecting two to drop at once.

It was...silly. Very silly. Not sure if it was just "super fun" very silly or "weird" very silly yet.

Two questions though:
    1. What, specifically, was the Star Trek reference at the start? Did I hear that right? Was that supposed to be a cheeky "Disney is coming for Paramount next" line?
    2. Was the snot alien supposed to very particularly evoke Alien, since that's now also owned by Disney? Was that why the Doctor said it looked "very familiar"? Like, was I just reading too much into that, or was it not just me?

The BBC is showing both episodes tonight, so you’ll be a week behind most discussion if you hold off on Episode 2.

I’m going to try to watch them at the scheduled time with my daughter on a Saturday evening, but I do like having the option to watch a bit earlier if we’ve got a busy weekend.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Gallifrey
    I guess the Master wiped out everyone.
    Weren't they convreted to Cyberfolk, though? That's like the easiest thing to fix when you have regeneration powers. I doubt it will stick for long, not after all the efforts to bring it back again.

I forgot to mention that for all the silly bits, Space Babies wasn't exactly subtle about its message.
    Wow, a culture that forces babies to be born but won't take care of them afterward. I can't imagine what THAT's a reference to. Not to mention the refugee discussion. But we needed something to counter the pro-life moon whale episode eventually.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Davies got rid of Gallifrey right at the start of his tenure, as he considered it a bit boring. I doubt he’ll bring it back.

• Options
    edited May 11
    Finished Space Babies. A very Davies episode. Big emotional swings, slightly clunky social commentary, strong character work, aimed squarely at a family demographic. Kind of a mid-range episode in terms of quality but almost immediately better in just about every way than the last few years.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Not entirely sure about The Devil’s Chord. Having outright fantasy and magic be the season arc feels a bit off for the show, somehow.

And I guess we’re a quarter of the way through the season? Eight episodes a year doesn’t seem like enough.

• Options
    Like past companions, there is something wrong with Ruby. Reminds me of Clara and Amy.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Two questions though:

Regarding #1 there

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    There is a lot of fourth wall breaking this season. Not certain if I like it.

The best kind of fourth wall breaking is when it feels wrong. I think Fight Club did that. I remember Tyler looking at the camera and the projector starts malfunctioning.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So The One Who Waits is totally
    gonna turn out to be Susan or something right?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ruby's elderly next door neighbour? Oh yes she's very suss.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ruby's elderly next door neighbour? Oh yes she's very suss.

No. It is the
    Rani.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    no, it's Mephisto!

shit, wrong thread

(I thought these were both pretty decent episodes though the first was perhaps a little too silly to start with for my tastes)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    There is something totally weird going on with Ruby.
    The Doctor's memory totally changed.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m really appreciating the consistency of the C-plot with Ruby being sprinkled in

Moffat was kinda bad about it, and even Davies’ first seasons weren’t great

• Options
    edited May 11
    Devil's Chord
    I assume the whole musical number at the end was the Doctor's and Ruby's prize for defeating a god. Either that or music coming back to Earth.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited May 12
    Gallifrey
    The Doctor did kind of casually let Gallifrey get blown up. So, I hope there were no innocent people still living there.

Gods
    I do hope that recieving a prize does become a thing with banishing gods. Like you always recieve a boon.

I am a little annoyed that the next episode is a "stepped on a landmine" episode.

I am sure that Moffat will do something unique with it. There has to be some kind of twist.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited May 12
    I think Ioved both those episodes.

Murray Gold cameo!

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 12
    So interesting easter egg/reference in Devil's Chord:
    The giant billboard at the end before the twist is apparently a reference to the very first DW episode: "Chris Waites and the Carollers are a fictional band, referenced in the show's first ever episode, An Unearthly Child, transmitted on 23rd November 1963."
    Wonder if it's connected to The Maestro saying "he who waits"

Separately, I did not like all the fourth wall breaking. The winking to the camera was not needed; just start playing the theme, we'll get it.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    While I agree fourth wall breaking can be overdone, I have a very high tolerance
    "I thought that was non-diagetic"

made me laugh out loud

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    A thing I did not notice; a background actor has had a speaking line as multiple different characters in nearly every episode so far.
    Susan Twist has appeared as Mrs Merridew, Newton's maid in the intro to Wild Blue Yonder, a heckler asking for a song at Ruby's show in Church on Ruby Road, one of the station staff on the videos in Space Babies and the tea lady in The Devil's Chord. That last one did jump out as a little weird to me, that the camera lingered on her after the Doctor left.

So the Twist at the end is SUSAN! AAA!

Or it's just a weird easter egg. Wonder if she's hidden in the chaos of The Giggle somewhere too?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    So...Davies couldn't make The Devils Chord run to time and decided to just fill up the space? ;)

I'm sticking to my theory that the theme if the season is
    Fear. In two episodes now the Doctor (someone who is usually unflappable) is overwhelmed by Fear. Calling it that the BBEG is Fear itself. Ties in with the fairy tale nature of the season so far. Goblins, monsters, Gods...

So far it feels like the first Tennant season - wonder, energy, horror. Good stuff.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Watched The Devil's Chord today. Thoughts:
    Overall I liked it better than Space Babies, but that could just be because the talking babies effect was way too uncanny valley for me.

Maestro knocked it out of the park. Loved their energy.

The "fear" thing might be a good call, Raziel. The Doctor felt very frozen into inaction in a very un-Doctor-like way, and it doesn't feel like RTD would do that haphazardly. But who knows, we shall have to see.

I was fine with the fourth wall breaks up until the Doctor winking at us. Every point before then felt like it helped sell the Maestro as an otherworldly "gods of old" type figure. Which, sure, you can argue the Doctor is one also, but he wouldn't label himself as such.
    Unless...?

The musical number at the end felt out of place, and yeah to me rang a bit like a time filler. Also, I've been spoiled by better musical numbers in other shows. It was fun enough, just felt like it should've been a special web release or something, not that it belonged with the main episode.

The content warning at the front on D+ said "infrequent coarse language". Guess they meant the Doctor saying "hell" twice? LOL

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    Finally got to watching both episodes.

Space Babies
    It was fine? Like, compared to the junk we’d had in the prior era obviously it was good, but it’s weaker than the specials before it.

Talking baby effect was off, didn’t like that. Overall silliness, a bit much. Then again my kids were really digging it so I can appreciate this might also be meant as a new entry point for the younger audience. That’s fine. But the bogeyman was gross. Yuck.

Thumbs down: story, heavy handed Davies social commentary, baby effects

Thumbs up: The Doctor, Ruby, episode energy/vibe, into

Overall not sure I’ll revisit this one.

Devil’s Chord
    The villain was entertaining and memorable. Chewing scenery like crazy and fascinating to watch. Did tire of it a bit by the end but that’s a minor complaint.

Loved their excuse to not have to play any Beatles songs.

All this looking into the camera and talk of paradoxes and godly powers makes me wonder what they’re setting up. Like some sort of universe reboot ala Big Bang 2? Of course I hope they’re about to use it to undo dumb Chibnall stuff but in my heart I know that’s not true.

Would enjoy hearing 15 make one of those grand “I’m the Doctor” speeches but maybe that’s more of a Moffat thing. Speaking of, excited to see what he does with his episode!

Overall, would maybe put this one above Space Babies and the first Tennant special, below the other two specials but it’s hard to say. All this singing and magic and stuff is so different I’ll need to ponder it longer.

• Options
    edited May 13
    The amount of money they're throwing around is such a change - ha - too.

Even modern Who would have the
    space babies taking through a speaker, not trying to do weird cgi. And you'd never see the strollers/prams? moving on their own; be a good ol chap crawling on the floor pushing them.

MichaelLC on
This discussion has been closed.