Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I put 5 LRM5 on my Mad Dog, and got extra heatsinks as a side bonus. Lets me fire my MPL more, but I dont think the chain fire LRM25 is as good as a LRM40 salvo?

Also had a crappy round with the Mist Lynx, and I got mad and sold it and bought the support Raven instead. Now to figure out how TAG and NARC work.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    The chain fire thing is only for when the enemy is in sight range. Basically it blinds the heck out of your enemy with missiles. Otherwise, just launch them as many as you can and scoot. The LRM5s allow you to fire them faster than the LRM40. That's pretty much the advantages of the 5s over 20s.

Think I left mine as all SRM6s and CERML long ago. I haven't gone back to it in a long time.

NARC is cool since you run way behind the enemy lines, shoot them onto the enemy mechs and scoot off hopefully before they notice you. TAG requires you to stay out in the open and "light" your target (which sucks).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    The chain fire thing is only for when the enemy is in sight range. Basically it blinds the heck out of your enemy with missiles. Otherwise, just launch them as many as you can and scoot. The LRM5s allow you to fire them faster than the LRM40. That's pretty much the advantages of the 5s over 20s.

Think I left mine as all SRM6s and CERML long ago. I haven't gone back to it in a long time.

NARC is cool since you run way behind the enemy lines, shoot them onto the enemy mechs and scoot off hopefully before they notice you. TAG requires you to stay out in the open and "light" your target (which sucks).

TAG is great for LRM boats because it's considerably lighter and easier to use than NARC and doesn't require ammo. You can TAG for your own missiles quite easily.

NARC is better for dedicated spotter mechs, particularly the Raven 3L with its NARC quirks.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    I predict I will drop the TAG pretty quick.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

TAG is great for LRM boats because it's considerably lighter and easier to use than NARC and doesn't require ammo. You can TAG for your own missiles quite easily.

NARC is better for dedicated spotter mechs, particularly the Raven 3L with its NARC quirks.

Oh definitely is a good thing for locking your own targets, just not that great for Lights to use them to lock for teammates.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Tag is great for atm skirmishers

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I outfitted my Catapult (C4 variant) to start learning IS LRMs and threw a TAG on it. Was somewhat helpful for for LRMs, but was more useful for the SSRM-2s

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Somebody's going to make a Marauder II HP with 9 LRM-5s.

8 SRM 6's for life. That 2 Gauss, 2 PPC build with ECM is gonna make my King Crabs cry.

As much as I'd like to pre-order and get in on all that, I don't think I can't justify the purchase cause I know I will never get to play it.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hey team been away from MWO forever, but with the hype surrounding MW5 was thinking about poking at it again. As soon as I login it wants me to make a very serious decision though lol. So I guess I was just wondering how active the clan still is. Should pledge my loyalty to the Free Rasalhague Republic?

corin7 on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    kDWRbau.png

Apparently the MWO pre-order bonuses listed here don't include all the stuff you'd get in the Marauder II pre-order included in each tier. So if the Marauder II packages are anything like past mech packs, you'd actually get a total of 150 days of premium (90 from MW5 and 60 from the Marauder) with the $120 pack.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Finally got back to this game and polished off the ammo dump capture mission. Let one truck escape and blew up two boxes, but managed to capture 6.

It also cost me Behemoth, a Mechwarrior who had been with me from the start. :( She was my main tank, with 34 deployments, 13 injuries taken, 63 kills. The lack of cover in that mission made it a real problem...

The next mission to blow up a Dropship on the ground was similarly painful. Everything was under control, then I let another motherfucking Firestarter barely get in range of my leading unit (an AC20/2x MLAS-equipped Dragon). What was under control rapidly went out of control. That little bastard forced that unit into shutdown, then the enemy Dragon and Catapult just wrecked it over the next two turns: left arm destroyed, left torso destroyed, right arm destroyed, right torso destroyed, center torso destroyed, left leg destroyed. I was left with a left leg and a head on that mech, and I'm guessing the only reason the pilot didn't die was because it was my main.

My other heavy--that venerable Thunderbolt--got similarly fucked up. Ended up with no weapons and a center torso about to go *poof*. That pilot I managed to eject in time though. Whew. Ended with just a Shadow Hawk and a Wolverine that were out of ammo to kill a Dragon and a Catapult.

Net profit but gawddamn I'm getting smashed on these plot missions.

Orca on
  • Options
    That was also the second mission where I actually ran out of ammo on my SRMs. But I don't want to sacrifice another weapon for more ammo. :(

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Finally got back to this game and polished off the ammo dump capture mission. Let one truck escape and blew up two boxes, but managed to capture 6.

It also cost me Behemoth, a Mechwarrior who had been with me from the start. :( She was my main tank, with 34 deployments, 13 injuries taken, 63 kills. The lack of cover in that mission made it a real problem...

The next mission to blow up a Dropship on the ground was similarly painful. Everything was under control, then I let another motherfucking Firestarter barely get in range of my leading unit (an AC20/2x MLAS-equipped Dragon). What was under control rapidly went out of control. That little bastard forced that unit into shutdown, then the enemy Dragon and Catapult just wrecked it over the next two turns: left arm destroyed, left torso destroyed, right arm destroyed, right torso destroyed, center torso destroyed, left leg destroyed. I was left with a left leg and a head on that mech, and I'm guessing the only reason the pilot didn't die was because it was my main.

My other heavy--that venerable Thunderbolt--got similarly fucked up. Ended up with no weapons and a center torso about to go *poof*. That pilot I managed to eject in time though. Whew. Ended with just a Shadow Hawk and a Wolverine that were out of ammo to kill a Dragon and a Catapult.

Net profit but gawddamn I'm getting smashed on these plot missions.

Are you talking about the "Liberate: Smithon" mission? I am pretty sure there's no Catapult among the enemies on that one.

I re-played that one not too long ago. I went with a burly lance comp that had an LRM boat, and I got shot up pretty bad but I didn't get mauled. It ended up being ridiculous in the comic sense. The enemy Spider got up into the southern hilly area where my LRM boat was hiding out, and the two of them spent 5 or 6 turns playing Benny Hill among the rocks.

But yeah... Medusa ended up in the med bay and my Griffin S and Orion K both had an arm shot off.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ugh. Stupid one-armed, punching K2 Catapault.

TASAR0c.png
    Good thing the main character is unkillable. :razz:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Looks like the front fell off.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The story missions were always a comparative dick punch

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The catapult was part of the lance that comes down after you take out the drop ship.

Feels bad man

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The catapult was part of the lance that comes down after you take out the drop ship.

Feels bad man

Man fuck that mission, that one and the one that came before it were the only hard story missions for me.

• Options

Feels bad man

Yeah, losing Big B would suck. Her semi-laconic, semi-Southern "Hell Yeah!" when you hit high Morale is one of my favorite pilot quips in the game.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Uggghhhhhh apparently there's a known bug caused by audio drivers that makes Battletech crash and I've been at the receiving end of it a few times :(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Anyone up for some MWO?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ha, if you get a Banshee down to 2 internal structure in the head it has what looks like a cheery campfire in it, trail of smoke and all.

WH0o3bv.png

<3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Anyone up for some MWO?

Sorry. I had an emergency come up so wasn't online tonight for Oosik night.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Swapped from the 6 MPL build on my CRB to a 5 ERML/1 LL build. So far I'm doing a LOT better with it. I feel like I'm contributing a lot more without kamikazing my way into the enemy team to do so.

• Options
    Oh shit it was Thursday

Yeah well

time isn't real

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Is Thursday Oosik night? Which voice server do we join in on?

also.. Mad Cat sexy walk OP.

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »
    Is Thursday Oosik night? Which voice server do we join in on?

also.. Mad Cat sexy walk OP.

We've been using the PA-MWO Discord server. Looks like the invite link is in the second post back on page 1.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Tried NARCing for a few matches. Did not contribute.

• Options
    Yeah NARC is a hit or miss thing (no pun intended). Some matches you are the bringer of doom (lots of LRM on your side) others you are just putting markers on blobs and nobody cares.

So I was looking at the MW5 preorder thing and noticed that you have to make an account on the MW5 website? So now I'll have another account to play it? Why can't we just use the MWO account? Sorry, just complaining.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    A couple thoughts:

* the QuickDraw is garbage
    * These 3 and 3.5 skull missions are killing me with repair bills
    * I now have a mech without jump jets and I hate it

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    so I have 300 days left in my career mission, I have a cyclops (well had) that was armed with a simpl gauss rifle and ppc++. Last night I managed to decap 4 mechs with precise shots, it was absolutely insane. Sadly the other torso got destoryed and I lost my last ton of gauss ammo so I had to retire it. Now it has an ac/20+++ on it, which is also fun, but not really range effective.

I'm enjoying career mode flashpoints quite a bit.
    A couple thoughts:

*hides his lance compilation that features no jump jets anywhere*

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    A couple thoughts:

*hides his lance compilation that features no jump jets anywhere*

Last mission was one that featured a long ramp up to the high ground. I had three mechs that easily jumped up. One that was left toddling along trying to keep up by running up the ramp. It sucked.

Orca on
  • Options
    A couple thoughts:

Yeah, the QuickDraw is an insta-sell. I think the replacements for the various 55-ton brawlers are the Thunderbolt and Cataphract, but I'm not sure. In my first campaign, I ended up getting a couple of Orions before either of those.

Just out of curiosity, how much armor do you typically run on your front line? I'm about to start on 3 stars in my second campaign, and I'm running around 1000 armor on collection Griffins, Shadowhawks, Wolverines, and one Kintaro.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    What? The Quickdraw was a staple of my early-mid lances. You need to swap an ML for a heat sink or two so it doesn't melt into a pile of slag in a couple turns but it's great for jumping behind someone and tearing up their backside. Also works well as spotter for LRMs. When outside of weapon range it can sensor lock and then close to take advantage of any exposed mechs.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Apostate wrote: »
    What? The Quickdraw was a staple of my early-mid lances. You need to swap an ML for a heat sink or two so it doesn't melt into a pile of slag in a couple turns but it's great for jumping behind someone and tearing up their backside. Also works well as spotter for LRMs. When outside of weapon range it can sensor lock and then close to take advantage of any exposed mechs.

It has about the same capacity for weapons and armor as a Shadowhawk, but because it's a heavy, it's easier to hit and has later initiative. The Shadowhawk also melees much harder.

Admittedly, the Shadowhawk is a bit OP (assuming a custom load out; stock SHD is bad), but only a bit. A Quickdraw is, at best, barely superior to any of the other 55 ton mediums in terms of firepower and armor, which isn't enough, imo, to compensate for its initiative disadvantage.

htm on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I see a lot of people saying it's terrible, and by numbers yeah, but for whatever reason I had pretty good luck with the Quickdraw as well and used it to great effect during that special time in a medium lance's life when it starts to mature into a heavy lance.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I see a lot of people saying it's terrible, and by numbers yeah, but for whatever reason I had pretty good luck with the Quickdraw as well and used it to great effect during that special time in a medium lance's life when it starts to mature into a heavy lance.

Certainly, stock, it's much more dangerous than any of the stock mediums--all the stock medium load outs are terrible. But... a QKD only has one more usable ton than the 55s and because it's a heavy, its jump jets weigh twice as much. So even if you don't mind its late initiative, you literally can't build a QKD with jump jets that has as much firepower and armor as a Shadowhawk/Griffin/Wolverine/Kintaro that also has JJs.

So I'd use a Quickdraw over a 45 or 50 ton medium, but never instead of a 55.

htm on
  • Options
    htm wrote: »
    A couple thoughts:

Yeah, the QuickDraw is an insta-sell. I think the replacements for the various 55-ton brawlers are the Thunderbolt and Cataphract, but I'm not sure. In my first campaign, I ended up getting a couple of Orions before either of those.

Just out of curiosity, how much armor do you typically run on your front line? I'm about to start on 3 stars in my second campaign, and I'm running around 1000 armor on collection Griffins, Shadowhawks, Wolverines, and one Kintaro.

Right now, when all my mechs are up and running, I’ve got 2 1040s, a 900-something, and a 760.

Right now I’m at whatever I can get since half the mechs are in the shop.

Sounds like it’s time to suck it up and change load outs despite the time penalty.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    A couple thoughts:

Right now, when all my mechs are up and running, I’ve got 2 1040s, a 900-something, and a 760.

Right now I’m at whatever I can get since half the mechs are in the shop.

Sounds like it’s time to suck it up and change load outs despite the time penalty.

Sounds like I'm in for a rough time when I start going for 3-skulls, then. >.<

I usually run 2 55 mediums with 900 to 1000 armor, an Orion that has about 1100, and a Centurion LRM boat. I also have Bulwark on all but the LRM boat pilot. Hopefully, I can avoid getting wrecked and bootstrap into the heavy era by by hugging all the trees.

I've done it before, but that was before the skill change/Bulwark nerf.