Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO:

There's an event going on alongside the engine sale. Complete events for light/medium/heavy/assault. Some of the portions (like UAV detection) count for the light portion but can be done in any size mech. 1 mil C-bills, some MC, and some cockpit items for each weight class.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    MWO: man, picking the game up again with friends is... rough. We can get decently matched games when solo dropping, but the moment we drop as a group we get demolished in a Not Fun At All way. We tried bringing a new player into the game and the last time we played our matches the entire night were such a misery of defeats he went "I don't think this game is for me", which is disheartening.

It doesn't help that a) the rest of us hadn't played in +year (and were never top tier to begin with) and b) it's very hard to tell why you lost in any one game due to its team nature, at least unless you play the game a lot. Did you die because you were out of position, because the enemy team outplayed you, because they aimed better, because your own team did a bad, because your team comp was bad on that map, was your loadout garbage? ~Who knows, look at the end match numbers and thrown your divination bones~

I can't wait for MW5, just so I can play stompy mechs with friends without also dealing with randos.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Group play in this game is incredibly merciless.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd recommend, if you want to just faff about and play for shits and giggles amongst friends, Private Matches might be what you're after. Sure, there are no rewards (no cbills and no XP)...but it's shooting each other's stompy robots to bits for fun.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Don't you need 24 players for that?

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Don't you need 24 players for that?

Nope! I've done it with 1 friend before to run hit-reg experiments. Also, it's one of the few ways to get asymmetric matches going (one of the Twitch streamers I watch will play MWO with his community...one of their favorite past-times is running 2-3 assault mechs vs. 7-8 lights).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The Quickdraw is fine, it's a SuperJenner, just run it with like 3-4 MLs +/- an SRM in the CT, if you want to spare some armor. Deadside it, and it'll last you a while.

The dirty secret to Battletech is that every new 'mech you get must immediately undergo refit. This is not a time penalty, this is an investment in vastly superior 'mechs.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I'd recommend, if you want to just faff about and play for shits and giggles amongst friends, Private Matches might be what you're after. Sure, there are no rewards (no cbills and no XP)...but it's shooting each other's stompy robots to bits for fun.

I can't enforce this enough when just wanting to play with friends and not against try hards.

These days group queue requires you to at least know how to play and hope to goodness you get grouped up with decent players. The only way you know is if you get someone on comms calling shots and telling the group what the basic game plan will be. Another recommendation I can give if you are rusty is to stay behind the blob a bit. Not only do you get to see where the enemy group is coming from, but you can shoot around your teammates who are taking the damage for you. Then when they go down you are fresh to take the front line of theirs down at least.

Otherwise the group queue is full of players who have been playing a while and probably know what they are doing. Sadly it is not beginner friendly at all.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The difficulty of those 3 skull missions seems to vary widely. My last one had 8 mediums and a heavy, but because they came in two separated groups I was able to defeat them in detail without taking too much damage. If they had managed to hit me as a group that would have been ugly. The one that ended up as a net loss and required more than a month of repair work on my frontline mechs had 7 mechs, and I think the breakdown was 4 heavies and 3 mediums.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The difficulty of those 3 skull missions seems to vary widely. My last one had 8 mediums and a heavy, but because they came in two separated groups I was able to defeat them in detail without taking too much damage. If they had managed to hit me as a group that would have been ugly. The one that ended up as a net loss and required more than a month of repair work on my frontline mechs had 7 mechs, and I think the breakdown was 4 heavies and 3 mediums.

Yeah, one of the other dirty secrets of BattleTech is that in the higher difficulty contracts, it's better to keep your mechs close together and make contact with the enemy at an edge of the combat zone. That lets you deploy the power of focus fire while you're out of range of the reinforcements.

I really like BT, but its procedural mission generation is definitely its weakest aspect. It achieves increasing difficulty by punching you in the dick more often rather that by building it out of game systems. You've hit the "OK, the player has heavies now. Let's hit them with 2x the numbers!" in progression. The assault game at 4.5 to 5 stars will be, "OK, the player has assaults now. Let's hit them with 3x the numbers! And at least a third of those should be LRM boats hidden behind a terrain feature!"

The endgame would be a lot better if they'd broken with the lore and used mechs and pilots built according to the meta rather than the old table top rulebooks.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah, one of the other dirty secrets of BattleTech is that in the higher difficulty contracts, it's better to keep your mechs close together and make contact with the enemy at an edge of the combat zone. That lets you deploy the power of focus fire while you're out of range of the reinforcements.

I really like BT, but its procedural mission generation is definitely its weakest aspect. It achieves increasing difficulty by punching you in the dick more often rather that by building it out of game systems. You've hit the "OK, the player has heavies now. Let's hit them with 2x the numbers!" in progression. The assault game at 4.5 to 5 stars will be, "OK, the player has assaults now. Let's hit them with 3x the numbers! And at least a third of those should be LRM boats hidden behind a terrain feature!"

The endgame would be a lot better if they'd broken with the lore and used mechs and pilots built according to the meta rather than the old table top rulebooks.

It didn't help that on my "aw fuck" mission with the long ramp, while I had 3 heavies, one of them was a default configuration Quickdraw which both overheated too fast and had less armor than any of the mediums I currently have in inventory.

I've switched to going pure money for missions since I'm so close to bankruptcy, but it's frustrating because my lance progression has necessarily halted. Oh well, hopefully a few more of these and I'll have enough margin again.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I see a lot of people saying it's terrible, and by numbers yeah, but for whatever reason I had pretty good luck with the Quickdraw as well and used it to great effect during that special time in a medium lance's life when it starts to mature into a heavy lance.

Certainly, stock, it's much more dangerous than any of the stock mediums--all the stock medium load outs are terrible. But... a QKD only has one more usable ton than the 55s and because it's a heavy, its jump jets weigh twice as much. So even if you don't mind its late initiative, you literally can't build a QKD with jump jets that has as much firepower and armor as a Shadowhawk/Griffin/Wolverine/Kintaro that also has JJs.

So I'd use a Quickdraw over a 45 or 50 ton medium, but never instead of a 55.

The Victor has the same problem, and you're always going to have this problem at the transition points in a game.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    PSA: If you have a King Crab behind you and to the side chain firing AC/20s at another assault, try not dodging in front of his ACs to try to steal a kill.

Nobody on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Quad ER PPC Mad Cat II is pretty...insane. Note that the MCII-1 can do the same thing, so you don't need a deathstrike.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJd10LPl6DE

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Isn't that just a 5 ton heavy Warhawk build that's been around forever?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Warhawks biggest problem is its hitbox soooo

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Warhawk's hitboxes and mobility are ass compared to the Mad Cat Mk. II.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Isn't that just a 5 ton heavy Warhawk build that's been around forever?

MCII build
    + Hitboxes. The Warhawks boxes are crap.
    +Higher mounted hardpoints
    + Better protected weapons (sidetorsos protected by well covering arms)
    + Arm Shielding
    + More armor
    + Jump jets

- Acc/dec and top speed. Yeah. The acceleration on the warhawk is better, as is the top speed (63kmh vs 64.8kmh).
    - Slower torso turn rate and less gun mobility (since the Warhawk has armmounted guns)

Not a ton of difference in cooling and projectile velocity since while the warhawk is crappier overall (fewer heatsinks, no TC) it does have ER PPC traits.
    The MCIIs advantage is mainly that it's much sturdier, less likely to lose weapons, better at hill humping (thanks to jump jets and better hardpoints), better able to get to good spots and a much more difficult target.
    Also, people will just target Warhawks more since they know that it's a target that's easy to knock out.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    One thing that would counter-act the Warhawk's speed and acceleration advantage would be to upgrade the Mad Cat's engine. I just theorycrafted Baradul's build with a slightly larger engine that gets you puttering along at 70kphmy mistake, it's only 67.5kph

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    One thing that would counter-act the Warhawk's speed and acceleration advantage would be to upgrade the Mad Cat's engine. I just theorycrafted Baradul's build with a slightly larger engine that gets you puttering along at 70kphmy mistake, it's only 67.5kph

Personally I would just steal 3 points from Firepower (losing 2x Range and 1xHeat gen), 5 points from Auxiliary and 2 points from survivability and reinvest those points (10 points) into Mobility (focusing on Kinetic burst/hard break).

• Options

Personally I would just steal 3 points from Firepower (losing 2x Range and 1xHeat gen), 5 points from Auxiliary and 2 points from survivability and reinvest those points (10 points) into Mobility (focusing on Kinetic burst/hard break).

Or do both! Full disclosure: I tend to not even put points into Auxiliary as I usually forget I have consumables (or, when I do remember that I have them, what their hotkey is).

• Options
    Variety streamer complains about the RACwacker not working for him. Wants something with big fuck-off guns. We suggest Heavy Gauss Sleipnir as he has MC to burn. Reaction to the first time he fired....

https://clips.twitch.tv/OptimisticRenownedWerewolfBibleThump

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The first time I fired my Roughneck's HGR was a moment of joy. Watching an assault take a hit, and nope the fuck out of there was grand.

(Taking the head off a Cyclops by accident with it was grand).

• Options
    chasm wrote: »
    Variety streamer complains about the RACwacker not working for him. Wants something with big fuck-off guns. We suggest Heavy Gauss Sleipnir as he has MC to burn. Reaction to the first time he fired....

In my head, I'm hearing a voice going through his head: "That'll do pig...that'll do."

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

Beagle had a full 12 man drop going for like 3+ hours and I was in for a fair bit of that. It was..oddly satisfying enjoying this game again in a huge group.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have an issue with Battletech hanging up at the studio logo?

It will just freeze there and become listed as non-responding. I don't think this was ever an issue until I bought Flashpoint the other day and started playing again.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

It will just freeze there and become listed as non-responding. I don't think this was ever an issue until I bought Flashpoint the other day and started playing again.

That's been around for awhile in one form or another. It's irritating they still don't have a fix for it. For some you can just wait it out. It might take literally several minutes to unfuck itself. After that it often won't do it anymore. In my case I ultimately had to uninstall and then reinstall Steam to get it to even load once. After that it has usually loaded fine for me.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I think I had the same problem, had to find and delete a cfg file or something to get it to work again.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    hairystevehairysteve Registered User regular
    F u MW 5. I'm tempted to go the $120 pack pretty much just for the mwo content.
    Marauder II ultimate pack should be pretty good plus the bonus double MC for founders.
    Really whale it up.
    I'm not really a mechwarrior more a wallet warrior.
    Oh well someone's gotta keep the servers running.

• Options
    hairysteve wrote: »
    F u MW 5. I'm tempted to go the $120 pack pretty much just for the mwo content.
    Marauder II ultimate pack should be pretty good plus the bonus double MC for founders.
    Really whale it up.
    I'm not really a mechwarrior more a wallet warrior.
    Oh well someone's gotta keep the servers running.

It is a great value if you still play MWO regularly. Lots of goodies and well worth the cash.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

The long delay on the HBS logo was a bug introduced with Flashpoint. If you just wait the game loads fine. They supposedly have a fix but weren't able to get it out before the holidays. In the meantime, a mod called BattletechPerformanceFix https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/321 eventually added their own fix for it. Though I usually pull that mod's releases from GitHub rather than nexus.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @CroakerBC has the long logo wait issue. I think he was telling me it was platter drive related?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Due to my total inability to get MW2 working on my PC, are there any good books or content that summarize the Clan wars?

• Options
    Due to my total inability to get MW2 working on my PC, are there any good books or content that summarize the Clan wars?

People fought for stupid reasons using stupid rules in awesome stompy robots.

People suck, gigantic mecha rock.

The end.

Lore? What's lore?

• Options

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Invasion
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Operation_BULLDOG
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Task_Force_Serpent

This should cover the main points pre-Jihad.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah, but like an actual product, not a wiki article.

• Options

Calling @Nips for assistance.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

The long delay on the HBS logo was a bug introduced with Flashpoint. If you just wait the game loads fine. They supposedly have a fix but weren't able to get it out before the holidays. In the meantime, a mod called BattletechPerformanceFix https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/321 eventually added their own fix for it. Though I usually pull that mod's releases from GitHub rather than nexus.

Yeah, I was one of...a few...people who posted to the relevant bugs thread over on the HBS Battletech forum. They put a note out eventually saying the delay was related to the game being installed on a non-SSD drive, and that they were working on it. Given the volume of people who experienced it, I imagine it's somewhere near the top of the queue.

Generally th edelay is somewhere in the 4-6 minute range. When I started playing again, I just started making coffee during the intro to get around it, which isn't ideal.

• Options
    Yeah, but like an actual product, not a wiki article.

That's about...30 or 40 books. The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy covers the beginning of it. The Twilight of the Clans series ends it. And there's a shitload of decent books in-between.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Invasion
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Operation_BULLDOG
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Task_Force_Serpent

This should cover the main points pre-Jihad.

Wow, that's kind of terrible. It's like... a Robert Jordan subplot for giant stompy robots:

1. Famous military guy and his followers fuck off far away.
    2. Descendants of famous military guy develop a goofball caste-based society while nursing an eternal grudge for the old homeland.
    3. Descendants of famous military guy don super-goofy animal-themed costumes and head back to the old homeland to kick the asses of their decadent, degenerate ancestral people.
    4. Big fight!

I hope HBS keeps all their BT content set before the Clan stuff. I don't know all that much about the lore, but at whatever point in time the current game is set at, it feels like the galaxy is boiling pot full of minor wars, political intrigue, and shifting alliances. That's a lot more interesting than a "Euro/SE-asian cliché cultures vs neo-Mongolians with faux-Aztec aesthetics" deathmatch.