Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    That’s the Ilya, which has three ballistic mounts

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    MWO Question: In the event that I do want to run an LRM assault, how does the BLR-1S stack up? Decent quirks, not sure about the hard point placement though. Biggest bonus is that it's on sale.

Note: QP I'd probably switch it to an MRM build in most cases.

Nobody on
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Huh. The Mist Lynx is kind of confusing. Wanted another light mech, and should have gotten a Raven.

Yeah, I think the Mist Lynx is mostly used for ECM and AMS right? I think it used to be a decent mech with missiles till the Arctic Cheetah came around.

Apparently. Teaches me to not pay attention when buying mechs.

I always try out a mech these days before purchasing it. One good thing that PGI did put in. Unfortunately though it is tough to say how well a mech will do once you put it into battle.

Yeah I bought the Ebon Jaguar EDC last week while it was half price. I took it for a test drive and liked it, but in practice I'm pretty disappointed with it.

I don't know if I'm playing it wrong but I get cored super easy in that mech , nearly every match. I've maxed armor skills on it but it still seems to be made of paper.

404 not found
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    That’s the Ilya, which has three ballistic mounts

Yup. Mine is 3 uac5s, which at one point I had set up to stagger fire for maximum screenshake. It was hilarious.

It's a shame I don't think it holds up anymore. TTK is way too low, and Cataphracts melt like butter now.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah the meta just kinda passed it by; the three ultra fit can still kick out dps but the hardpoints are so low that it needs really ideal conditions, and the phract profile makes XL engines a big liability

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    MWO Question: In the event that I do want to run an LRM assault, how does the BLR-1S stack up? Decent quirks, not sure about the hard point placement though. Biggest bonus is that it's on sale.

I honestly have never run an Assault with LRMs... Is the Stalker on sale? Those are decent I think.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I think the game would be a lot better if they nerfed all weapon damage across the board and buffed armor.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think I've ever run LRMs on an assault except where I had some spare space and threw on some missiles because why not. I think one of my Atlases has an LRM 20

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Darn, checked and the Stalker is not on sale. I have no idea about the Battlemaster with LRMs. Should work till you swap it over to MRMs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darn, checked and the Stalker is not on sale. I have no idea about the Battlemaster with LRMs. Should work till you swap it over to MRMs.

I have a BLR-1S kitted out with all the LRM15s and a TAG (it was for an Oosik theme night). To put it mildly: It did not perform well.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    honestly the best way to play LRM in quickplay is to do it on a medium; hunch 4j, wolverine 7k trebuchets I guessssss

nobody really cares that you're hanging back a bit and smaller LRMs are a really good dps/ton weapons

• Options
    Or on a Mad Dog with all LRM5s. Endless stream of angry bees.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Or you could replace the medium with a fafnir and the lrms with acs/gauss and play right into the meta.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in hopping on and fucking up in a 2v2 Solaris match until we win for for the event?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry I couldn't help you out with it last night, I was at a net 7 losses on my CRB for the day. I should really stop posting about how much I love a mech in this thread, when I do the matchmaker likes to punish me.

• Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

@Kusmeroglu, this isn't your Kablamaphract, is it? Because if it is, I'm super confused how you managed that.

Yep! I took 6th in Heavy division once with this baby, way back in the day. It's the Muromets variant.

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So I was supposed to be done with BATTLETECH for a while, maybe until urban warfare this summer. Finished a career and thought I'd take some of these other games people play for a spin.

Instead, intrigued by the cheevo for Ironman campaign, I start a fresh campaign. You know, just to play a few missions and have it there to pick up and play now and then.

Instead, I crossed the 500 hour mark for BATTLETECH this weekend and liberated Panzyr with an AC20 Centurion, Shadowhawk and a pair of Jagermechs - +60 damage punch mod w/ all the machine guns and a +1 damage LRM 20 and LL support sniper.

Guess I'm hooked.

Part of it is that about four missions in, before I had even up-armored all the base five campaign mechs and when you are doing all the half and one skull missions abrading evasion pips from infinite Locusts and Spiders, I ended up at a planet with a full Centurion for sale. Interesting.

So I did all the missions on that planet for max cash, sold almost everything in my inventory including my Locust and Spider, taking me down to three mechs, and bought the Centurion. Then en route to the next system, we hit bill day and we were down to only 168 total C-bills. Yikes - knocking at the door of bankruptcy!

But we had a Centurion. Things got more lucrative from there in short order.

Yep, I'm hooked.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »

@Kusmeroglu, this isn't your Kablamaphract, is it? Because if it is, I'm super confused how you managed that.

Yep! I took 6th in Heavy division once with this baby, way back in the day. It's the Muromets variant.

Huh. I thought your Kablamaphract was a shotgun build. I am apparently very mistaken!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Huh. The Mist Lynx is kind of confusing. Wanted another light mech, and should have gotten a Raven.

Yeah, I think the Mist Lynx is mostly used for ECM and AMS right? I think it used to be a decent mech with missiles till the Arctic Cheetah came around.

I always try out a mech these days before purchasing it. One good thing that PGI did put in. Unfortunately though it is tough to say how well a mech will do once you put it into battle.

I kind of just assumed I could turn it into something I like, omnipods etc. Its just got that weird left arm... Ended up doing well with a ERLL and ERML in the right arm, ECM/AMS in the left.

After getting torn apart in my first attempt with the stock Kodiac 3, I swapped a shotgun for one of the UAC, added heatsinks, and lost a match with 3 killed and something like 700 damage. Armor skills, obviously, but is it worth putting points in mobility for an Assault? Need more torso twist.

Also: apparently you can unlock nodes without equipping them? So in theory I could unlock every node, then just equip the 90(91?) I want to use? Interesting.

Also: thanks for putting up with all these questions about a pretty old game, things I could probably find of I dug into the internet but dont want to search for!

monkeykins on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    So I was supposed to be done with BATTLETECH for a while, maybe until urban warfare this summer. Finished a career and thought I'd take some of these other games people play for a spin.

Instead, intrigued by the cheevo for Ironman campaign, I start a fresh campaign. You know, just to play a few missions and have it there to pick up and play now and then.

Instead, I crossed the 500 hour mark for BATTLETECH this weekend and liberated Panzyr with an AC20 Centurion, Shadowhawk and a pair of Jagermechs - +60 damage punch mod w/ all the machine guns and a +1 damage LRM 20 and LL support sniper.

Guess I'm hooked.

Part of it is that about four missions in, before I had even up-armored all the base five campaign mechs and when you are doing all the half and one skull missions abrading evasion pips from infinite Locusts and Spiders, I ended up at a planet with a full Centurion for sale. Interesting.

So I did all the missions on that planet for max cash, sold almost everything in my inventory including my Locust and Spider, taking me down to three mechs, and bought the Centurion. Then en route to the next system, we hit bill day and we were down to only 168 total C-bills. Yikes - knocking at the door of bankruptcy!

But we had a Centurion. Things got more lucrative from there in short order.

Yep, I'm hooked.

Centurion is the best 'mech: confirmed.

• Options

I kind of just assumed I could turn it into something I like, omnipods etc. Its just got that weird left arm... Ended up doing well with a ERLL and ERML in the right arm, ECM/AMS in the left.

After getting torn apart in my first attempt with the stock Kodiac 3, I swapped a shotgun for one of the UAC, added heatsinks, and lost a match with 3 killed and something like 700 damage. Armor skills, obviously, but is it worth putting points in mobility for an Assault? Need more torso twist.

Also: apparently you can unlock nodes without equipping them? So in theory I could unlock every node, then just equip the 90(91?) I want to use? Interesting.

Also: thanks for putting up with all these questions about a pretty old game, things I could probably find of I dug into the internet but dont want to search for!

For a brawling assault with ballistics its not a bad idea. Get armor obviously and then firepower stuff but only like magazine size/jam chance if relecant etc.

Close range dakka doesnt really need velocity or cooldown so plenty of points for turn speed and acceleration talents.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

For LRM Assaults, I generally go with whatever has quirks for it. The AWS-8R and 8V, STK-3H, MAL-1R and Knockout, and BLR-1S are all great for it.

I wouldn't try to use the BLR-1S as an MRM build since two of the missile hardpoints are in relatively low-slung arm mounts and one of the torso hardpoints enlarges the left torso. You can't really peek all that well with it, and its hitboxes aren't well-suited for brawling.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »

Huh. I thought your Kablamaphract was a shotgun build. I am apparently very mistaken!

Oh sorry - I misunderstood, I thought you were asking about hardpoints. Yeah, right now it has AC5's on it, which I would switch out to sometimes when I got tired of playing hide and go shotgun in a heavy. I haven't played in ~3 years, so I'm not sure why specifically, but the silly volcano map comes to mind :|

.. however, I'm ready to restore it to it's former glory and once again surprise the armor off mechs big and small!

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    "Surprise the armor off" is my new favorite phrase. :D

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Playing flea for a couple weeks now and an lrm boat awesome might as well be afk.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    If you don’t have at least three ppcs of any kind on your mech it is NOT an awesome.

This post brought by awesome pilots that refuse to put up with you sullying their good name.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I feel like lurm boating assaults can actually work on polar, since if you're not on domination mode and you're in an assault, good fucking luck doing anything for 75% of the round on that blasted map.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

For LRM Assaults, I generally go with whatever has quirks for it. The AWS-8R and 8V, STK-3H, MAL-1R and Knockout, and BLR-1S are all great for it.

I wouldn't try to use the BLR-1S as an MRM build since two of the missile hardpoints are in relatively low-slung arm mounts and one of the torso hardpoints enlarges the left torso. You can't really peek all that well with it, and its hitboxes aren't well-suited for brawling.

For LRM assaults, DON'T RUN LRM ASSAULTS!!!!

• Options
    If I did run an LRM Assault it’d be very forward, using a tag for my own locks, and praying I got one of the polar maps or plexus.

Anything else gets really iffy.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Heffling wrote: »

LRMs can be quite viable on Assault platforms with the right quirks and skills. So long as you move with the team and don't stand behind rocks the whole time, you can carry your weight and then some, even outside Polar Highlands or Alpine Peaks.

And then there's ATMs. Good lord, ATMs. Utterly absurd damage if you can keep your spacing.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Atm48 Supernova is pretty funny

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

LRMs can be quite viable on Assault platforms with the right quirks and skills. So long as you move with the team and don't stand behind rocks the whole time, you can carry your weight and then some, even outside Polar Highlands or Alpine Peaks.

And then there's ATMs. Good lord, ATMs. Utterly absurd damage if you can keep your spacing.

Usually when I get randomly deleted from the map, ATM's had something to do with it.

• Options
    Holy shit, I literally cannot get a win on my Crab tonight. It's like half the fucking team dissolves because they Nascar right into artillery strikes or chase squirrels into the enemy assault lance one by one, and I'm one of the last ones left.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Atm48 Supernova is pretty funny

Honestly the supernova is just overall scary. The only guy whom I've ever seen pull off a LRM-assault well did it in a Supernova. 4x LRM15 and just rapidfire hammering on Alpine peaks.

The STK-3H can also do this wierd 2xLRM20A + 4xMPLs+2xSRM6A. You don't push him and he pumps LRMs like a madman (he has two LRM launchers, -10% cooldown and -20% heat with those), you get close and you get 50 damage to the face, rapidfire style. The thing with the STK-3H and 2xLRM20s is that as long as he's only using those LRM20s he's always fresh as far as heat goes.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Chasing down a not too challenging 3 mech lance in a jungle battle - Centurion, Shadowhawk and Thunderbolt. Shadowhawk goes down quickly, and I'm closing with the Centurion on its flank to get our brawler's machine guns into play. No armor breaches, all is well for my +dam punchy Jagermech, AC20 Centurion, Shadowhawk and LRM Jagermech.

Then the Centurion turns around, exposing his back to the rest of the squad, and fires a breaching AC10 shot directly into the cockpit of the punchy Jager. Normally that's not too bad as it's got the company's one +++cockpit mod that can soak up three hits for the pilot. In this case, though, that mod is critted and destroyed. :(

Yikes. So the pilot, a sensor/tactics/bulwark I'm training up as a backup to Dekker and who is just this mission away from having not only targeting mastery but also the important +15 heat threshold at 9 guts, is riding around a fully armored Jagermech in an open cockpit.

Okay, I guess we better end this thing quickly. We explode the Centurion with extreme prejudice, hitting ammo through the back and then taking out the downed mech's CT. Our Centurion closes with the Thunderbolt and puts a breaching AC20 into a side torso.

So what does the Thunderbolt do? Rather than back up and keeping his rear covered, he ignores our biggest threat, swivels to his right (exposing his back when our Centurion will move next turn) and fires a single breaching shot LL at long range across the rain forest basin and into the cockpit of our Jagermech.

Fuck.

Lost a good pilot and, more importantly, our only damage prevention cockpit mod.

The game do taketh.

But the game giveth as well. Our very next mission is a four salvage tundra battle and we score the last piece of a Thunderbolt and all three pieces of a carefully beheaded Orion.

Onwards!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Well, I wasn't expecting to wake up to this news: a fan of MechCommander just released an updated, recompiled version that incorporates the expansion and a bunch of fan missions.

Sarna has the details. I'll be grabbing this shortly.

http://www.sarna.net/news/mechcommander-gold-darkest-hours-gets-4-0-release/

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I never played those! Where do you get the base game nowadays and what eldtrich god must be beseached in a dead and forbidden language to get it to run on modern hardware?

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, gonna have to get that. It's going to look so awful on my TV...

• Options
    Here's a (somewhat) direct link to the spot on NGNG to grab the files:
    http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4709.msg26810#msg26810

Downloading now. Will update with status once I've got it working.
    I never played those! Where do you get the base game nowadays and what eldtrich god must be beseached in a dead and forbidden language to get it to run on modern hardware?

Since the modder rebuilt the game from the released code (as I understand it), it should just run on modern systems. Will let you know.

Also, yes, MCG is totally worth playing. It's really good, and holds up. My only gripe is the key bindings come from an era prior to RTS standardization, so there's some funky button settings.

The modder included up-rezzed settings, if not sprite work as well. Again, will update in a few minutes.

• Options
    Here's a (somewhat) direct link to the spot on NGNG to grab the files:
    http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4709.msg26810#msg26810

Downloading now. Will update with status once I've got it working.

Since the modder rebuilt the game from the released code (as I understand it), it should just run on modern systems. Will let you know.

Also, yes, MCG is totally worth playing. It's really good, and holds up. My only gripe is the key bindings come from an era prior to RTS standardization, so there's some funky button settings.

The modder included up-rezzed settings, if not sprite work as well. Again, will update in a few minutes.

It has been a few minutes. Where's my update????

oosik_betsuni.png