As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Sounds about right.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    You know something, looking at Sarna with all the mech models that got updated to be assault class I’m surprised the griffin never got a new version . Especially since the Steiners liked them so much . A 100 ton 2-n sounds like it would be super fun.

Humanoid body, large shoulder plates, big missile launchers on the shoulders and backed up by a laser array? The Mauler IS the Assault class Griffin.

The Tales of Black Widow Company (orignal Battleroids rules) did have the Super Griffin. A larger Griffin prototype, upgraded to a 60 ton Heavy chassis with 2 extra lasers and 9 jump jets. Of course that many jumpjets are illegal under current rules.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Okay so now that I'm home and on my PC, here's the build on my current Battlemaster: BLR-1G

If I went with HPPCs: BLR-1G

And, for curiosity's sake, with ERPPCs: BLR-1G

Nobody on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    If I went with HPPCs: BLR-1G

If you move one DHS to the other arm you can reduce the armor in the empty arm enough to put a TC1 in the head.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Last time I stopped playing the Arctic Cheater just came in and let me tell you, that mech still makes me twitch when I see it on the battlefield. However, it does feel like IS and Clan are more balanced now? Switching between my IS and Clan mechs doesn't feel like night and day any more, I can have fun in both without one requiring twice the effort for the same result.

Yeah, they're way better balanced these days. And there's plenty of mechs on both sides of the table to have fun and be productive with on the open queue. Apparently faction play is still busted and heavily favors the Clan side though.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Just wait till that quad-AMS Corsair hits. That's gonna be fun in Faction Play.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    I really need to practice shooting the PPCs, I'm not used to their velocity so I keep under/over shooting targets.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Decided to farm one more mission before I take on the Cormorant Mk II.

Hostiles: 2x Atlas, 1x Zeus, 1x Victor

Me: headshots or pilot disables on all of four them (thank you terrain that had them walking up a hill towards me, hiding their legs)

...then I remember I only get priority on 3 salvage...

Oh well, a second Atlas to match my first isn't such a bad thing!

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Good running into you tonight @W00dst0ck !

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The new tabletop Battletech sets come out today!

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Multiple phone calls with my CC company, and Xilla or whatever chat support. This is quickly becoming more than an impulse purchase. Why is it so hard to just buy a promise for a video game?!

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Multiple phone calls with my CC company, and Xilla or whatever chat support. This is quickly becoming more than an impulse purchase. Why is it so hard to just buy a promise for a video game?!

Man, this is not making me feel good about pre-ordering MW5 now. Between yours and Erl's issues... Unless this is just if you want to use a CC instead of PP?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Kay wrote: »

A Game of Armored Combat is not yet on Catalyst's site to order. Right?

Thanks, jgeis! Not sure why it wasn't coming up in search.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

Man, this is not making me feel good about pre-ordering MW5 now. Between yours and Erl's issues... Unless this is just if you want to use a CC instead of PP?

Fudge, I should have just used PP. It's also weird that you need to create a new/different account for MW5 than MWO, I just used the same info for both. Are they going to send a code for all the "free" MWO stuff? How will I redeem it? Why not just link the accounts, if you are giving free MWO stuff for buying MW5? Is this supposed to be practice for running a merc company?

monkeykins on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

A Game of Armored Combat is not yet on Catalyst's site to order. Right?

I think this is it?

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-a-game-of-armored-combat

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Fudge, I should have just used PP. It's also weird that you need to create a new/different account for MW5 than MWO, I just used the same info for both. Are they going to send a code for all the "free" MWO stuff? How will I redeem it? Why not just link the accounts, if you are giving free MWO stuff for buying MW5? Is this supposed to be practice for running a merc company?

Yeah I complained about the same thing. Then read their FAQ and figured that they probably want two different accounts so they won't get screwed up in their database.

When you finally buy MW5 they will email you a code to enter into the MWO website to claim your stuff there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    @Orca, would you put up a pic of your 4LL Orion, please? Is it jumpy?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Unfortunately, no jump jets. And when firing 4 large lasers, it's nowhere close to neutral on heat.

image inside the spoiler:
    diam0qnpou6g.png

The 4x LLas Highlander I have fits in jump jets as well as a backup set of SRMs with more heat dissipation. But...it can be tough to get your hands on a second Highlander.

Statistics of note:

1160 armor, 54 heat sinking, 72 heat alpha strike

8x heatsinks, 4x LLas

Orca on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    You're probably overloaded on leg and back-facing armour since you're long-range, and you could use those savings to reinforce RT/LT/(CT), or even add another HS or JJ. At sniper range, you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting outflanked and shot in the back, but you might take LRM or AC2/5 shots, and those things love to hit torso.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Definitely max out the front armor, drop some back armor (I never put it past 40 and have had my back armor knocked out maybe half a dozen times in a hundred hours of playing), and drop armor off the legs until it rounds out the weight to have a ton to work with. Once you start facing off against heavier mechs, you just cannot count on being able to keep snipers from staying at a safe range so you have to have all the effective armor you can carry.

Further, I'd drop one LL for at least a few jumpjets and fill in the remaining tonnage with heatsinks. A triple LL build that can sustain fire is a lot better than constantly being unable to fire a third or fourth LL due to heat, and I classify jumpjets as absolutely essential gear; being able to navigate cliffs and reposition while still keeping an effective/safe facing is just too essential.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    You're probably overloaded on leg and back-facing armour since you're long-range, and you could use those savings to reinforce RT/LT/(CT), or even add another HS or JJ. At sniper range, you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting outflanked and shot in the back, but you might take LRM or AC2/5 shots, and those things love to hit torso.

This is some good advice.
    Definitely max out the front armor, drop some back armor (I never put it past 40 and have had my back armor knocked out maybe half a dozen times in a hundred hours of playing), and drop armor off the legs until it rounds out the weight to have a ton to work with. Once you start facing off against heavier mechs, you just cannot count on being able to keep snipers from staying at a safe range so you have to have all the effective armor you can carry.

Further, I'd drop one LL for at least a few jumpjets and fill in the remaining tonnage with heatsinks. A triple LL build that can sustain fire is a lot better than constantly being unable to fire a third or fourth LL due to heat, and I classify jumpjets as absolutely essential gear; being able to navigate cliffs and reposition while still keeping an effective/safe facing is just too essential.

That doesn't fit with the intended role. The role is "headshotz", and the Orion only has so much tonnage to spare. I definitely miss the jumpjets on occasion, but the heat buildup is only rarely an issue--at least when going for head shots.

If we assumed 95% accuracy (optimal range), and it takes 2 hits to kill a head (61 armor + structure, 40 damage per hit), at 18% chance of a head hit per weapon, a 4x LLas mech has a 13.8% of popping the top off a hostile mech. If we assume 8x LLas (two mechs equipped in this fashion, two aimed shots in that round), it's a 40.8% chance. A 3x LLas mech has a 7.8% chance of popping the top, and the cumulative odds of 6x LLas is 27.3%.

A different option I've been considering is if I can get my hands on some +10 damage AC10s: 70 damage AC10s would allow me to get a killing blow with one hit. I can definitely cram 2 of them plus a little extra onto an Atlas; I may be able to do similar to smaller mechs. If I can get 2 mechs with 4 single-shot-kill weapons fielded, my single-round chance of a headshot climbs to 52.8%--better than a coin toss!

If you can fit out a Highlander with LLas, you have room for jump jets and more heatsinks, nicely addressing your concerns. The Orion is limited by its tonnage--it's amazing you can fit all four on one heavy mech reasonably well as it is!

• Options
    Played a few games with the double HPPC Battlemaster and decided that it just didn't feel right, so I went back to 3 LPL + 4 ERML. It just felt more...right?

• Options
    Played a few games with the double HPPC Battlemaster and decided that it just didn't feel right, so I went back to 3 LPL + 4 ERML. It just felt more...right?

You could try this build.
    3xLL, 4xML+TCII
    It has a bit less cohesion and a bit worse DPS (rather unnoticable except in the 300-400 range band), but a lot better sustained dps thanks to three extra DHSs (and the better heat efficiency of the medium laser).
    For a lesser change I'd just explore how it feel if you just replace the ERMLs in your LPL build with regular mediums.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited January 2019

You could try this build.
    3xLL, 4xML+TCII
    It has a bit less cohesion and a bit worse DPS (rather unnoticable except in the 300-400 range band), but a lot better sustained dps thanks to three extra DHSs (and the better heat efficiency of the medium laser).
    For a lesser change I'd just explore how it feel if you just replace the ERMLs in your LPL build with regular mediums.

Definitely considered regular MLs (I saw a few TTB videos with a similar build), but I like how the ERML and LPL effective ranges line up.

The other build’s a bit too close to my WHM build and I wanted to keep it different.

Honestly, my eventual plan for it is to go 5xERLL sniper once I have it fully skilled up.

Nobody on
  • Options
    There are some hidden mechanics on Called Shot that I've not been able to find complete clearly info on. For example, the called shot accuracy bonus to a certain part does decrease on certain weapons (SRMs and MGs for sure) by 50% for each additional weapon checked. This may affect other weapons, I'm not sure. LRMs have a form of clustering where the very first rocket in the salvo gets the called shot bonus to hit the certain part, but then rather than rolling that 18% for every rocket, the remaining x in the salvo all cluster around the initial shot (because otherwise with 40+ LRMs you could almost guaranteed head-destruction with 18% to hit).

So yeah, 4x LL should be worth trying for mech surgery, but if you can get the game log to give you the individual shot %s, keep an eye on whether the called shot accuracy bonus is working as you think it would.

• Options
    New Bulwark: only works if you Brace, use Vigilance, or end in cover (the only example of which is forests) - is this correct?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    New Bulwark: only works if you Brace, use Vigilance, or end in cover (the only example of which is forests) - is this correct?
    Yes (Whirlwinds also provide cover, there may be something similar on the tropics map which I've never played on).

• Options
    Yes (Whirlwinds also provide cover, there may be something similar on the tropics map which I've never played on).

Some destroyed buildings will provide cover too.

Yes on the new Bulwark skill working. Still the best skill, even nerfed. (Maybe tied with multi-target, but if I had to choose one I'd take Bulwark.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    There are some hidden mechanics on Called Shot that I've not been able to find complete clearly info on. For example, the called shot accuracy bonus to a certain part does decrease on certain weapons (SRMs and MGs for sure) by 50% for each additional weapon checked. This may affect other weapons, I'm not sure. LRMs have a form of clustering where the very first rocket in the salvo gets the called shot bonus to hit the certain part, but then rather than rolling that 18% for every rocket, the remaining x in the salvo all cluster around the initial shot (because otherwise with 40+ LRMs you could almost guaranteed head-destruction with 18% to hit).

So yeah, 4x LL should be worth trying for mech surgery, but if you can get the game log to give you the individual shot %s, keep an eye on whether the called shot accuracy bonus is working as you think it would.

As far as I'm aware, LRMs are the only weapons that apply clustering rules. Where have you seen that the called shot accuracy bonus decreases with some weapons?

Going based on proven performance, 4x LLas seems to be less effective than 1x AC20/Gauss cannon + shitload of everything else. Which makes sense; the single shot kill chance is 17% with an AC20 (if you assumed 95% accuracy) vs. the 13.8% chance of the 4x LLas--assuming it applies equally to all weapons.

So AC20s and Gauss cannons are really your friend, if you can fit them. My second Highlander unfortunately is of the P variety, so I'm stuck with the 4x LLas build there. Oh well.

• Options
    Yup, I give up trying to preorder MW5. Despite taking to Xsolla and them taking the "hold charge" requirement off, and talking to my CC company allowing online charges from them, it still fails.
    Also tried paying through PayPal, assuming I could just use my CC through them or whatever, but that failed too.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, LRMs are the only weapons that apply clustering rules. Where have you seen that the called shot accuracy bonus decreases with some weapons?

Going based on proven performance, 4x LLas seems to be less effective than 1x AC20/Gauss cannon + shitload of everything else. Which makes sense; the single shot kill chance is 17% with an AC20 (if you assumed 95% accuracy) vs. the 13.8% chance of the 4x LLas--assuming it applies equally to all weapons.

So AC20s and Gauss cannons are really your friend, if you can fit them. My second Highlander unfortunately is of the P variety, so I'm stuck with the 4x LLas build there. Oh well.

The dminishing called shot bonus was introduced in patch 1.1 for multishot weapons.
    The Called Shot bonus for multiple-hit weapons (SRMs, MGs) now diminishes by half with each successive shot.

So basicly if you have a 80% bonus with an SRM6 it's 80% for first, then 40 for second, 20 for 3rd, 10 for 4th, 5 for 5th and 2.5% for 6th missile. Then the next SRM6 launcher gets 80%, then 40% etc.
    SRMs used to be OP for cockpit shaking an opponent to death.

• Options
    I'm surprised that hasn't shown up in the searches. Curse you google!

• Options
    So it sounds like in summation:

* LRMs apply clustering rules, and for headshots, only get a chance to hit the head if the first shot connects with the head.
    * SRMs and MGs apply diminishing returns of 1/2 for each subsequent projectile from a single launcher
    * Everything else applies normally

• Options
    The updated Hunchback 4P is pretty good.
    Lots of Bzzzt.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm pretty sure in BT you can only score one pilot damage per salvo, no matter how many individual weapon hits might land.

If you have a machine gun Grasshopper, for example, and target the head, you'll do one or zero pilot damage from weapon fire (assuming you don't just destroy the cockpit.) The most damage you could do to a pilot in one mech's round of fire would be three - one from any head hits, one from torso destruction and one from falling.

EDIT: Orca's right I think. One from damage, including any torso destruction and one from falling.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    That sounds correct, though it might be even more restrictive to one pilot damage from any source plus one from falling.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Does it even matter past the early game? I find that once you're at a medium lance level, most of the pilots have enough wounds that you can't really effectively salvage mechs unless you destroy the cockpit anyway.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I finally got the argo!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg