As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    RAC...macro? I haven't played in a while, so maybe I missed something...but what's this about?

Infinite spinup macro. Basicly as long as your RACs are cold the computer hits "shoot" every 142ms so that you can fire instantly. A typical sign of the RAC-macro mech is that they have two sets of racs to keep one primed/firing and the other cooling.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Had a much better rest of the night after I gave up on the Warhammer after a certain point for the day. Too much brawling and other wackiness going on. Even on victories I just wasn't able to put out damage fast enough and ending matches with decent ammo left because the enemy team was just dying too quickly.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So is there a good build with the NSR-10P? I love the way the mech looks, and was considering picking up an assault with ECM.

Thing is, I can't make anything work. 4xAC5 seems like a waste, maybe 2xGR ERPPC is better, but that seems low power.

NSR-10P

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    4xAC5 is like the only workable build on the nightstar

The most popular ECM assault builds are fafnirs and clan mechs (like the blood asp), but after the streak changes I have this really weird desire to go 3xSSRM6, AC20, 2xMPL ECM Atlas

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Speaking of exploits someone figured out that you can boat targeting computers by using the import function in the mechlab. The bonuses stack, so you can get dumb things like ERLLs with 2km optimal ranges.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Speaking of exploits someone figured out that you can boat targeting computers by using the import function in the mechlab. The bonuses stack, so you can get dumb things like ERLLs with 2km optimal ranges.

I'd recommend that you don't do this, because there might be banhammering for that.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Man I just swapped my BLR-1G to the ERLL sniper build and the number of maps I can abuse for its current optimal range (around 880 meters) is already small because of cover. There’s what two, maybe three maps that’d be useful on?

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Man I just swapped my BLR-1G to the ERLL sniper build and the number of maps I can abuse for its current optimal range (around 880 meters) is already small because of cover. There’s what two, maybe three maps that’d be useful on?

Definitely exploitable (well, 1500 would be):
    Alpine peaks, Grim plexus, Crimson strait, tourmaline desert (all of these have a combination of open terrain, good vantage points for sniping and limited cover)
    To some extent:
    Frozen city, Rubellite oasis, River city, Canyon network, polar highlands (polar has a lot of open spaces but no really good sniping spots)

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I know it's been a while, and maybe it's fallen a bit out of style, but

LOL PGI.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options

Definitely exploitable (well, 1500 would be):
    Alpine peaks, Grim plexus, Crimson strait, tourmaline desert (all of these have a combination of open terrain, good vantage points for sniping and limited cover)
    To some extent:
    Frozen city, Rubellite oasis, River city, Canyon network, polar highlands (polar has a lot of open spaces but no really good sniping spots)

Yeah I was thinking Tourmaline, Alpine, and Plexus, with maybe Polar being somewhat usable as the teams closed together on some mission types. I figured the rest required you to be far from your team and snackfood for the plethora of stealth/ECM lights I’m seeing in every game these days.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    the plethora of stealth/ECM lights I’m seeing in every game these days.

Das me!
    Got a Kit Fox (had lots of cbills, wanted to see what the challenge got me, wanted more lights) and have been fiddling with a way to make it work better. SRM4x2 and HMLASx3 was too hot and I kept self-destructing so I dropped to ERMed. Also bumped the engine on my Vulture way up, switched the MLas for ERsmall, so I've got SRM4x2 and ERSx3 and I'm bringing 2 artillery strikes.

I've also started talking over comms more, and two small mechs hitting the rear at the same time works pretty well.

• Options
    KFX is just too slow for me (if I'm going to run 97kph I'd rather use a cougar since it has more weight and better hardpoints).
    ACH-Prime on the other hand. Love that mech.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I already settled on a good, powerful, fun build for the ACH, and I love it. I probably would have been better off putting missiles in it than getting the Cute Fox. But Skilling up is fun.

I should probably just check for myself, but: once you unlock nodes on the skill trees, can you deactivate nodes higher up and keep lower points active? For example, could I just unlock everything on the sensor tree but only use two of my 91 on the ECM nodes, and use 89 elsewhere? Sure, I'd need to unlock way more than 91 that way, but I have a ton of XP on my ACH and I dont want to spend MC converting it to GXP.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I already settled on a good, powerful, fun build for the ACH, and I love it. I probably would have been better off putting missiles in it than getting the Cute Fox. But Skilling up is fun.

I should probably just check for myself, but: once you unlock nodes on the skill trees, can you deactivate nodes higher up and keep lower points active? For example, could I just unlock everything on the sensor tree but only use two of my 91 on the ECM nodes, and use 89 elsewhere? Sure, I'd need to unlock way more than 91 that way, but I have a ton of XP on my ACH and I dont want to spend MC converting it to GXP.

Unfortunately if you want those ECM nodes, you'll have to keep the rest "below" it as well. I say "below" for the nodes you have to activate to get to the ECM ones.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Dang. I was hoping I could just grind my way to good builds and not bother figuring out optimal heat dissipation trees. So much of the Operations tree seems less useful for Lights, but I want those heat nodes without wasting points on Hill Climb and startup speed.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Ops tree is still bugged because of the new hard heat limit. Don't bother with it right now and just focus on other trees.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    KFX is just too slow for me (if I'm going to run 97kph I'd rather use a cougar since it has more weight and better hardpoints).

It's slow, but it can be fun. I have my support Kit Fox running ECM, triple-AMS with 4 tons of ammo, 3 HMLs, and 4 MGs.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Ops tree is still bugged because of the new hard heat limit. Don't bother with it right now and just focus on other trees.

That's just the heat containment nodes, yeah? I'll waste a couple points on containment to still get to the dissipation nodes.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I think you mean Adder, right? Cougar tops out at 81.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    lazegamer wrote: »

That's just the heat containment nodes, yeah? I'll waste a couple points on containment to still get to the dissipation nodes.

Wait, the "max heat before shutdown" ones? Dang it...

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I know it's been a while, and maybe it's fallen a bit out of style, but

LOL PGI.

To be fair this sounds like an exploit that kind of explains itself, as opposed to breaking something completely unrelated like arm lock or whatever

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

It's slow, but it can be fun. I have my support Kit Fox running ECM, triple-AMS with 4 tons of ammo, 3 HMLs, and 4 MGs.

I run Kit Foxes a lot. They're not really a mech for running and gunning or getting behind enemy lines. In my experience, the best place for a KFX is hiding behind assaults/heavies and peeking out to do damage, especially if you're running the C variant. The other variants are sort of like Piranhas (I say sorta, cause obs you can go ham in a Piranha early too, but it's risky.) in that you want to wait until people are cored before you start venturing out from behind the line to do damage. I mostly run the C and D variants. At least behind the line your speed isn't such a huge deal.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I ran 1xams ecm 4xMG 3xHML on the C and it was Fine.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Is there any way to get more Lostech other than mods? I fucked up, had an arm blown off, and lost two apparently irreplaceable double heatsinks :(

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

Wait, the "max heat before shutdown" ones? Dang it...

yeah the 'max heat' nodes currently do nothing; the cool run nodes work, but aren't really a great use of points considering how many junk nodes you take to get a couple of them

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Is there any way to get more Lostech other than mods? I fucked up, had an arm blown off, and lost two apparently irreplaceable double heatsinks :(

Flashpoints can net you Lostech gear. I came off my mercenary run with loads more double heatsinks than I ever saw in the main campaign, and even had a few backups (though I was running an all-assault lance with high-end weapons at that point, so losing equipment was pretty unlikely).

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    So is there a good build with the NSR-10P? I love the way the mech looks, and was considering picking up an assault with ECM.

Thing is, I can't make anything work. 4xAC5 seems like a waste, maybe 2xGR ERPPC is better, but that seems low power.

NSR-10P

you could do quad rac2, but that might be unsustainably hot

or three rac2 and like, a ppc maybe

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    yeah the 'max heat' nodes currently do nothing; the cool run nodes work, but aren't really a great use of points considering how many junk nodes you take to get a couple of them

Why are they fiddling with how LRMs work when parts of the game are literally broken? Not in a "oh, wow, this light mech is OP" way, but in a Bethesda way?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Why are they fiddling with how LRMs work when parts of the game are literally broken? Not in a "oh, wow, this light mech is OP" way, but in a Bethesda way?

It's... PGI? They've always worked this way. They literally do not know when the game is broken or not, or what steps they took to fuck it up or what solutions to apply to unfuck it.

You outright cannot have expectations of quality or sanity from them when it comes to balancing MWO, if you want to be able to keep enjoying the game to any extent.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Man, that last 5 skull mission was surprising in all the wrong ways.

Two hostile lances. Marker for the first one. 4x Assaults. Fine. I've got 4x Assaults too.

Move up to engage the lance. Manage to pop one hostile with a headshot. Everything's looking up!

Except the action of killing one of them caused the other lance to spawn. And they have me completely mousetrapped. They're directly behind me, and just beyond visual range.

They begin hammering me from behind with LRM fire.

I split my lance in two to try to at least take them under direct fire, under the hope they start laying off the back shots, and rely on superior weapons fit to maybe win. As I close the distance they continue peppering the other half of my lance from behind.

I manage to core a second assault from the first lance and move to mop up.

Meanwhile, things aren't looking so hot for the other side. Since I'm out of position, all four of the assaults are able to concentrate their fire on one mech. It manages to damage one of the mechs in the second lance, but they blow an arm off in return. Not a great rate of exchange considering that arm held an AC20!

My second mech (with 2x AC20s) shows up and cores one of the assaults. It's down to 3 on 2 on that side, except one of my units is heavily damaged. The original engagement is 2 on 2, and well under control.

Those two finish mopping up over the next couple turns. I'm no longer playing with my food in the slightest--all aimed shots are going straight for the core.

The related torso on my damaged mech meanwhile gets blown off. Center torso is looking red. Other torso is taking damage. I do the unthinkable, turn my back, and run away. Here's hope that 2xAC20 can give them the business.

The 2x AC20 blows away a second mech, but then starts taking structural damage as the remaining two mechs turn their attention on it.

I move it behind cover and let my reinforcements show up. They start taking fire, and now both 2xAC20 equipped mechs shred that final pair of foes.

A much more costly engagement than I planned on. That spawn was nasty.

Losing an AC20 +20 damage is ouchy :(

Orca on
  • Options
    And the following mission a Thunderbolt gets lucky and punches the head off Hellburner. Tonight ain't going so well!

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    It's kind of cute when assaults think they can out DPS a medium and want to get into a facetanking fight

oNIsyEE.jpg

didn't work out for either that Awesome or that Dire Whale

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That's just how software development with large teams works. You have X number of people working on new features, Y number on bugs, then different sets for remaining areas (in this case stuff like network and matchmaking issues and improvements, asset development, etc).

They're not a single person working on 1 thing at a time (especially true with MW5), the team working on LRM balancing changes is different from the one that'll be tackling this issue.

• Options
    RizZenRizZen Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    MechCommander is basically abandonware right? That should work. Thanks.

... It's currently one of the few games my laptop can't run ...

Actually on the subject of alternatives, is there a good mech piloting game available that has a single player campaign? I like MechWarrior Online's gameplay... but I'm not too fond of the online-only part.
    wtyh4bzbmcvu.png
    I have created plenty of additional "Resolution.exe" files in order to make MCG run on most common laptops/netbooks and their special resolutions. So MCG Darkest Hours should be playable on most of the existing laptop models.
    _________
    w4xpw9bnqmuj.jpg
    MCG Darkest Hours contains the largest single player campaigns, that ever existet - with an amount of 130 campaign missions total (42 in the vanilla game)! That's the difference between my remastered version and the original one!
    _________
    r8e7z9d6witr.jpg
    How to play MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours Multi-player games online
    The basic fullversion MCG-DH v4.0 contains 64 different multi-player scenarios (the original had 26). The game internal MP functions doesn't work anymore with nowadays technical standards and no microsoft servers supporting it. But game can be played anyways online via gameranger for example. There is a modified MP Game.exe from 2009 that works for gameranger. When you download and install gameranger, you can search for MCG in the GR settings, paste the patch of that certain file to gameranger - and you can easily start your own MC MP games - playing with your friends, clans - having fun.
    MCG Darkest Hours FullVersion - a new level of retro gaming potential!
    Beginner's Guide (MC basics - like keyboard controls...)
    Player's Guide (Mod content)
    Terms of Use

Now have fun, that's an order!
    Regards RizZen 8-)

RizZen on
  • Options
    That awkward moment when you end up on TheBeef's team
    ...And he leads the team in a NASCAR
    ...In a King Crab
    ...And it works

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    ...In a King Crab
    ...And it works

That's the thing. People bitch about NASCAR, but when executed as a team, whole team flanking works. It's a simple enough strategy that disorganized pickup groups can perform it successfully, which is why it's so common.

Sometimes assaults fall behind because the faster mechs get too gung-ho, sometimes they get left behind because they get complacent and stop moving.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    ...In a King Crab
    ...And it works

That's the thing. People bitch about NASCAR, but when executed as a team, whole team flanking works. It's a simple enough strategy that disorganized pickup groups can perform it successfully, which is why it's so common.

Sometimes assaults fall behind because the faster mechs get too gung-ho, sometimes they get left behind because they get complacent and stop moving.

Oh yeah, it can definitely. The problem is when one organically happens and your assaults are Dire Whales/Annihilators that the mediums/faster heavies aren't waiting up for. In this case it worked because the King Crabs were the tip of the spear (even then we had some slower mechs lose out).

My worry is that generally people were taking this as always working without understanding why it worked this time, just because a streamer pulled it off.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    ...In a King Crab
    ...And it works

Oh yeah, it can definitely. The problem is when one organically happens and your assaults are Dire Whales/Annihilators that the mediums/faster heavies aren't waiting up for. In this case it worked because the King Crabs were the tip of the spear (even then we had some slower mechs lose out).

My worry is that generally people were taking this as always working without understanding why it worked this time, just because a streamer pulled it off.

Let me tell you a story about the light lance Long Tom spotting in Community Warfare...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    At least on HPG Manifold, NASCAR is pretty viable, if not necessary when you're playing skirmish and the enemy team gets top.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    At least on HPG Manifold, NASCAR is pretty viable, if not necessary when you're playing skirmish and the enemy team gets top.

Never go full NASCAR on HPG. There are just so many ways it can go wrong. Enemies contesting the top, skirmishers and light snipers lurking in the outer ring etc etc.
    Mind you, a flanking maneuver is usually quite viable, but the real goal in HPG is to catch the enemy on a crossfire, either by enveloping them or luring them to overextend.