As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I don't know...I've seen too many rounds on that map where the team that doesn't take top sits huddled up below the platform and tries to keep pushing up the ramps against a full firing line. Usually the team on top gets hyper focused on defending those same ramps and if you circle round as a team you can take them by surprise and scatter their line.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I am vaguely angry that the Incubus/Vixen is available, but only for real money.

I mean, I know that's what PGI do, but I used to pilot the hell out of that mech on 3065 way back when. It was super-good considering you couldn't refit things and had to use the default variants. I had all three that were available, and they were sick. Run around at 150kph at max range to pick things apart with ERPPC or LPL with the 1 or 2, and move in for the kill with the shorter range weaponry later, or just out-dual other lights with the Vixen-3. So tasty.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    I am vaguely angry that the Incubus/Vixen is available, but only for real money.

I mean, I know that's what PGI do, but I used to pilot the hell out of that mech on 3065 way back when. It was super-good considering you couldn't refit things and had to use the default variants. I had all three that were available, and they were sick. Run around at 150kph at max range to pick things apart with ERPPC or LPL with the 1 or 2, and move in for the kill with the shorter range weaponry later, or just out-dual other lights with the Vixen-3. So tasty.

Give it like, two months, and it'll be released for Cbills.

• Options
    Oh, I know. I'm just griping about it 'cause that mech has a SPECIAL PLACE IN MAH HEART.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Nascar happens because its the only thing resembling a strategy that a herd of cats can do, thats it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Daycare is closed for the second day (it isnt even that cold...) so when nap time started I blasted through my workout so I could get into MWO.
    Got into a match, put on my headphones... no sound. Reached down to adjust the knob of the cord... and the cord is hanging freely from the set. Cat had chewed through the cord. So much for coordinating over voice chat.
    Plugged the broken speakers back in to find out they work!
    Then two matches later kid woke up. Naturally today is one of those hour and a half nap days and not a three hour nap day.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Hour and a half? Three hours?

My one-year old and her two half-hour naps each day leave me dreaming of the days before being a Stay-at-Home Commander.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Hour and a half? Three hours?

My one-year old and her two half-hour naps each day leave me dreaming of the days before being a Stay-at-Home Commander.

Three hours only seems to happen at daycare... ours started napping longer when we moved from two naps to one nap, if that helps?
    Always someone that has it worse, lol, a friend of mine once complained that their kid only slept 12 hours one night, and I nearly leapt across the table at him, since mine was waking up every <2hr at night at the time.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Oh, I know. I'm just griping about it 'cause that mech has a SPECIAL PLACE IN MAH HEART.

Once you pilot it, your heart will be the only place you'll play with it. It's...not good.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »

Once you pilot it, your heart will be the only place you'll play with it. It's...not good.

It was exceptionally good when you had to use stock loadouts. I could see it not being great when you can munchkin it out and it's not a 6 energy point Cheetah or a 12 ballistic point Piranha.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Update #59: LIVE - BATTLETECH 1.4.0 Release Notes: The One with Localization! And the 4th Novella! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2402598

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

It was exceptionally good when you had to use stock loadouts. I could see it not being great when you can munchkin it out and it's not a 6 energy point Cheetah or a 12 ballistic point Piranha.

The INC-4 would like to have a word with you.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The INC-4 would like to have a word with you.

When I were but a knee-high mech-sproggier, there were only THREE Incubus variants, and they were called Vixens because we were playing from the Inner Sphere side!

Yeah, the place where the Incubus/Vixen caught me didn't get to Heavy Lasers or Micro-lasers, so. I was not familiar with the -4 variant.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Ooooooh. They finally released the 4th Kickstarter backer novella. Add it into my rotation as soon as I wrap up Jihad Hot Spots: Terra.

Which is coincidentally, the first Jihad source book I've actually enjoyed. Now that it's focused on one planet, it actually has a coherent narrative.

I don't know why I'm putting myself through this aside from my completionist streak. If I'm going to read Battletech, I'm going to read the entire timeline.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Ooooooh. They finally released the 4th Kickstarter backer novella. Add it into my rotation as soon as I wrap up Jihad Hot Spots: Terra.

Which is coincidentally, the first Jihad source book I've actually enjoyed. Now that it's focused on one planet, it actually has a coherent narrative.

I don't know why I'm putting myself through this aside from my completionist streak. If I'm going to read Battletech, I'm going to read the entire timeline.

I really liked the Jihad and Dark Age sourcebooks. I know the format was thrust upon them when the novel lines went away, but I found them to be a fascinating way to tell a story, particularly a story with so many moving parts.

I'm really sad I lost all my non-PDF books. Like, the Fedcom Civil War sourcebook was an achievement.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I kinda loved the idea of converted non-battlemechs, and wish that had been a thing during the Succession Wars. Things like the Roughneck honestly fit to me with that timeframe.

Especially as a pre-cursor or contemporaries of the Raven and the 'Phract

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Broke down and bought myself a MAD-3R (set up with the dual LB-10X and 4 ML configuration), and changed my MAL-MX90 into the 4xUAC/5 configuration.

Marauder is a bit rough starting out, but I'm guessing it's because it's a brawl build with not enough skill points in armor yet.

Mauler though, that baby sings. I think I like it more than the 4 AC/2+2 RAC/2 build. Fires fast enough where people start acting like I'm hitting them with a pair of RAC/5s and it's long enough range where I can surprise other assaults by removing a side torso.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Broke down and bought myself a MAD-3R (set up with the dual LB-10X and 4 ML configuration), and changed my MAL-MX90 into the 4xUAC/5 configuration.

Marauder is a bit rough starting out, but I'm guessing it's because it's a brawl build with not enough skill points in armor yet.

Mauler though, that baby sings. I think I like it more than the 4 AC/2+2 RAC/2 build. Fires fast enough where people start acting like I'm hitting them with a pair of RAC/5s and it's long enough range where I can surprise other assaults by removing a side torso.

One tip for 'torso twisting'. In most mechs you can just "look" left and right to spread the damage. Marauders you have to look down then do the same thing.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I bought a Timberwolf. I think I feel bad.

• Options
    RizZenRizZen Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I bought a Timberwolf. I think I feel bad.

Mhhhhh my favourite :biggrin:

The best MechCommander mod of the world!

wuwkjcjja402.jpg
    My wife & me ruling a mission :P

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Timberwolf and Summoner??
    I know where this is going...

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Then I tried Solaris, and now I feel REAL bad.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I got drunk and bought a Javelin last night. First mech I've bought where I was like..."man this cockpit interior is legit!"

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    It's the TIE Silencer canopy frame to the Battlemaster's TIE/Ln Fighter

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Then I tried Solaris, and now I feel REAL bad.

You definitely need solaris focused builds to be competitive in solaris.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

You should see the Cyclops canopy.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

You should see the Cyclops canopy.

Hah, oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Definitely the true TIE look-alike.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Something I've been giving some thought to: Is it worthwhile now for IS laser vomit mechs to skip LFE and either go to standard engines or just straight to XL?

With the current heat transference rules it feels like losing the side torso is pretty close to a kill anyway since if you are riding the heat scale you're probably going to overheat to death or shutdown and get alphaed before you can get back online.

And even if you manage to avoid those fates, you get to be little more than a stick since firing any of your high heat guns means you're going to need to cool down for a long time afterward.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its an interesting idea but too dependent on chassis to say for sure

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The mech that got me thinking about it was my WHM-6D.

For example, this is the "meta" vomit Warhammer LFE build: WHM-6D.

I could do this with a STD engine. It's a little slower, one less medium laser and a two less heat sinks, but while losing the left torso would be rough, I'd still have three medium lasers to contribute to the fight and the vast majority of my heat management.

Or this with an XL. Same firepower as the LFE build, but a little faster with one more heat sink and a T1. Sure, it's dead if it loses a side torso, but the LFE is pretty much in the same boat.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    personally I've lost a ST and fought on enough times that I find it worthwhile, even though losing one in a brawl often means death anyway

it's just more fun in quickplay to be able to survive the loss of a torso, as opposed to having marginally more speed/dhs (especially since slot constraints often mean you can't even fit that many more heat sinks anyway)

in faction play it makes less sense because you're a lot more concerned with staying 'on schedule' with the rest of the team than with surviving absolutely as much damage as possible, and also there's more incentive there to move quickly

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I bought a tiny Flea.

I killed two assaults in my first outing with it.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options

I could do this with a STD engine. It's a little slower, one less medium laser and a two less heat sinks, but while losing the left torso would be rough, I'd still have three medium lasers to contribute to the fight and the vast majority of my heat management.

Or this with an XL. Same firepower as the LFE build, but a little faster with one more heat sink and a T1. Sure, it's dead if it loses a side torso, but the LFE is pretty much in the same boat.

Why would you use that STD build when you could use this 300 build? Same heat, slightly better range/firepower (thanks to the TC1), just 5kph slower.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options

Why would you use that STD build when you could use this 300 build? Same heat, slightly better range/firepower (thanks to the TC1), just 5kph slower.

It was a quick 2am build >.>.

Yours is definitely better.

• Options
    I bought a tiny Flea.

Oooh oooh oooh, which one did you get? The all laser one with MASC?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I bought a tiny Flea.

Oooh oooh oooh, which one did you get? The all laser one with MASC?

I have seven pulse lasers and masc :o

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    So far, the thing I like most about the Flea is the end-of-rollarcoaster-laugh I get when I inevitably die and faceplant ragdoll going 170kph.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Flea is like the mech you HAVE to get the Meep meep warhorn for.

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I just discovered something super handy I wish I'd known about:

r49vwkjq6ozt.png

You can track and claim your event rewards from within the MWO client, no need to go thru the website.
    Apologies if this is common knowledge!

404 not found