As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    that's new to me!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I bought a tiny Flea.

I killed two assaults in my first outing with it.

Oooh oooh oooh, which one did you get? The all laser one with MASC?

I have seven pulse lasers and masc :o

So few mechs have MASC that I can never remember to actually use it.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Jimbo wrote: »
    I just discovered something super handy I wish I'd known about:

r49vwkjq6ozt.png

You can track and claim your event rewards from within the MWO client, no need to go thru the website.
    Apologies if this is common knowledge!

I assumed you all knew about that!
    I think the Stocking Stuffer event still had to go through the website, but otherwise it can go there.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Yeah, PGI added that sometime last year. I know we mentioned it in the thread, but it was such a tiny thing I'm not surprised most of us still missed or forgot it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Yeah, PGI added that sometime last year. I know we mentioned it in the thread, but it was such a tiny thing I'm not surprised most of us still missed or forgot it.

It takes so long for me to go hit that button, then hit the correct event then collect that I just alt-tab and keep the website open. Old school, but it works faster for me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Most random missions 4 atlases armed with a total of 6 AC20s can handle with maybe a little damage. But sometimes, the game still figures out a way to screw you.

An artillery spotting mission popped. Lunar environment, so 65% heat sinking and critically, no cover. Two hostile lances of mixed assaults and heavies, all of nasty variety. If I'm going to make this work with assaults, I need one of them running for like 5 turns to make it to the far location in time. Another one will need to run a similar distance, but that's mainly painful in that I lose the firepower. The last two can stay by the nearest beacon and duke it out with the hostiles. The supporting lance will help draw fire. Wait, shit, this isn't a flashpoint and there isn't a supporting lance. Crap.

No cover means everyone is taking the full pounding. Having to run to the far beacon means turning your back on the five heavies and assaults. Having to run to beacon 2 means that's only two mechs taking the combined firepower of 8 hostiles.

I aborted and reloaded a save prior to the mission after my second Atlas blew up. :(

I'll have to figure out a different strategy the next time that pops. Ye gods.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    It probably involves not taking four assaults.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options

It worked fine last time!

Let's say I bring just two assaults and 2 mediums. Those two assaults will still need to take the brunt of the fire and survive, and as soon as the mediums end up in the beacon locations, all fire switches to them so there's a good chance they go down too.

That whole no cover and limited time thing is gonna be a tough nut to crack.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Now, that's just crazy talk.

• Options
    Can't you just blow up the opposing lances then walk to your beacons? You didn't mention a time constraint.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Can't you just blow up the opposing lances then walk to your beacons? You didn't mention a time constraint.

11 rounds, 3 beacons, you must have a mech in each beacon for 2 turns before 11 rounds are over. Mechs in beacons are prioritized by all hostile mechs in firing range.

• Options
    Huh. I'd suggest a fast light or medium to bunk down in the zone before running for the next one, and try to activate the enemy lances with the main body of your force.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Huh. I'd suggest a fast light or medium to bunk down in the zone before running for the next one, and try to activate the enemy lances with the main body of your force.

That will survive--maybe--one turn in the zone. Hostile LRM fire will strip the evasion pips that turn, the next turn it's meat.

When I did this in the Flashpoint version, my assault in the zone ended up with severe structure damage to the right torso by the end of the second turn. Taking 6 mechs worth of LRM fire and 2 of direct fire will fuck up just about anything.

I guess I could toss a rookie in there and just treat the mech as disposable--hope it survives the two turns and if it doesn't, just withdraw.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Hostile LRM fire will strip the evasion pips that turn, the next turn it's meat.

If you have jump jets, you could move a short distance and get a bunch of evasion pips, adjust facing, and brace for damage reduction?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

That will survive--maybe--one turn in the zone. Hostile LRM fire will strip the evasion pips that turn, the next turn it's meat.

When I did this in the Flashpoint version, my assault in the zone ended up with severe structure damage to the right torso by the end of the second turn. Taking 6 mechs worth of LRM fire and 2 of direct fire will fuck up just about anything.

I guess I could toss a rookie in there and just treat the mech as disposable--hope it survives the two turns and if it doesn't, just withdraw.

I did this mission with four assaults. What I had were two brawlers, and two LRM boats. What I did, as I recall, was:

Turn 1: Sprint all.
    Turn 2: Sprint all.
    Turn 3: Sprint both brawly King Crabs past the 1st drop zone, one left and one right. One of my LRM boats went onto the back point, the other stood just outside. Circle A 1/2.
    Turn 4: Sprint the right KC. The left one walked and did called shots to the CT of one of the heavies or assaults, taking it down. LRM boat in the back circle walked forward, leaving the circle, and focused targets on the far right. LRM boat outside of the circle moved in and focused the same target. Circle A 2/2.
    Turn 5: Walked both KCs to their circles. The left one got in the circle, and did called shots to another CT. The right one was within sprinting distance of the circle. LRM boats kept pounding mechs on the right. Circle B 1/2.
    Turn 6: Left KC stays in circle and does another CT shot. Right KC springs into circle. LRMs rain on whatever is left, I recall the right circle area was clear. Circle B 2/2, Circle C 1/2.
    Turn 7: Left KC moves towards LRM boats. More called shots to CT. LRMs keep cleaning up. Mech in right circle has nothing to shoot at. Circle C 2/2.
    Turn 8: Arty countdown starts, mission is basically won. Some internal damage to the left KC, everything else is pretty sanded down but otherwise ok.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Spotting missions require a lot of Vigilance and bracing. Have the mech on the beacon jump and brace every turn, with a Bulwark pilot. You should only really need one faster mech to take an outlying beacon, while the rest can blob up and push the other two one at a time.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Also, there was apparently an event over the weekend? Mostly just clock-punching.
    Finally got a 500-score match, in my Arty-strike Raven, in a loss.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Another tactic you could try is sending a pair of lighter, faster mechs to a beacon so each only needs to spend one turn inside. The lead mech reserves down, preferably to phase 1 so it is not exposed for multiple phases, moves inside the zone, preferably a max distance move or jumpjet to max evasion, and then braces to end the turn. On the beginning/middle of the next turn you move the trailing mech into the zone and move the lead mech out. Just make sure the trail mech is in the zone before you move the lead mech out or it will reset the timer. Beginning of the third turn the beacon is active and the trail mech can move out. Now you do need to balance reserving with exposure because the two mech's moves must overlap, but each will only be exposed to at most one turn of fire per beacon. Use other mechs to fire on enemies near the beacon to try and draw fire. If the mechs are fast, they can reach multiple beacons before the time limit, you can send slow mechs to the nearest beacon.

Another thing is that only a single mech needs to make it back to the extraction zone to succeed. If you don't have components in the heads or don't care about losing those parts, you can eject from mechs that would otherwise be too slow to make it to the extraction zone. So for example, you could try to sprint assaults out to the far beacon points to just sit and tank fire then abandon them on the spot once the beacons are active and the extraction point is up.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    So I was out this weekend with a cold, and I almost missed a monumental event...

idy7wsep5u3e.jpg

Available now on your Kickstarter or BackerKit account. The Stackpole Quadrilogy is complete, finally.

Also, if you haven't picked it up yet, Battletech is 40% on GOG:
    https://www.gog.com/game/battletech_digital_deluxe_content

I have no idea if that is the best deal you can find, but I noticed it in my inbox this morning and figured I'd pass it along.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Awesome, I'm almost finished with my current book, time to finally dig into my backer rewards and continue with book 1

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In mech related news, Titanfall 3 is dead, respawn is only doing "pilot" battle royale, which is out now

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends

https://kotaku.com/titanfall-3-is-not-in-the-works-respawn-says-1832336218

Fuck EA

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Titanfall without the titans? That's a bold move, lets see how it pays off... (lol) I heard they removed a lot of the parkour from the pilots as well.

Haha, I can't wait for all the articles about how its impended failure is the fault of "toxic" fans.

"We removed all the defining features of your favorite game and then put microtransactions on top. Why are you guys all so mad?"

• Options
    Titanfall without the titans? That's a bold move, lets see how it pays off... (lol) I heard they removed a lot of the parkour from the pilots as well.

Haha, I can't wait for all the articles about how its impended failure is the fault of "toxic" fans.

"We removed all the defining features of your favorite game and then put microtransactions on top. Why are you guys all so mad?"

Yeah, there's no wall running, and no pilot jump packs. Apparently there's classes, so it's "EA tried its hand at overwatch copy battle royale", which doesn't sound great.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

No trailers, no press, no reviews, no early twitch sponsors; suddenly it's just out one day? My guess is they were sitting on a trash fire and knew it, and instead of shelving the work, hastily threw a battle royale veneer over what they had and are hoping to either pull off a fortnite miracle, or catch a few whales to milk dry before the game population tanks. Seems like this will be Radical Heights all over again.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Dark_Side wrote: »

No trailers, no press, no reviews, no early twitch sponsors; suddenly it's just out one day? My guess is they were sitting on a trash fire and knew it, and instead of shelving the work, hastily threw a battle royale veneer over what they had and are hoping to either pull off a fortnite miracle, or catch a few whales to milk dry before the game population tanks. Seems like this will be Radical Heights all over again.

*edit* Not relevant to MWO/MW5 (or Mechwarrior/Battletech in general). If the post is brought over to the Apex Legends or Titanfall thread, I'll repost there.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    RACro has apparently been fixed. Hope so, cos the one solo game I jumped into last week had a 5-RAC2 King Crab in it and I just want to say I hope that fucker dies in a house fire.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    RACro has apparently been fixed. Hope so, cos the one solo game I jumped into last week had a 5-RAC2 King Crab in it and I just want to say I hope that fucker dies in a house fire.

There was a Baradul video a week or two ago where one of those things was doing major fucking work on Canyon Network.

• Options
    huqlephflnge.jpg

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    So, when someone posts a screenshot like that, I just automatically assume that they're bragging about the damage score, so I immediately looked at that.

And I saw it was over 3k, and thought "Holy fucking shitballs, that's amazing".

And then I saw the four 'Mech designations on the right side, and realized that this had to be in Faction Warfare.

Then my brain did the math quick, and I though "Y'know, that's really really good!"

You took me on a hell of a ride there, Heffling. Congrats on the strong performance!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Oh good a battle royal game

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Most random missions 4 atlases armed with a total of 6 AC20s can handle with maybe a little damage. But sometimes, the game still figures out a way to screw you.

An artillery spotting mission popped. Lunar environment, so 65% heat sinking and critically, no cover. Two hostile lances of mixed assaults and heavies, all of nasty variety. If I'm going to make this work with assaults, I need one of them running for like 5 turns to make it to the far location in time. Another one will need to run a similar distance, but that's mainly painful in that I lose the firepower. The last two can stay by the nearest beacon and duke it out with the hostiles. The supporting lance will help draw fire. Wait, shit, this isn't a flashpoint and there isn't a supporting lance. Crap.

No cover means everyone is taking the full pounding. Having to run to the far beacon means turning your back on the five heavies and assaults. Having to run to beacon 2 means that's only two mechs taking the combined firepower of 8 hostiles.

I aborted and reloaded a save prior to the mission after my second Atlas blew up. :(

I'll have to figure out a different strategy the next time that pops. Ye gods.

Actually worth keeping a Banshee 3E around for these kind of missions. Put nothing but melee mods, SLs, and JJs in it, and then load it up on armor. It should end up with over 1100. It's the perfect runner for the far spotter target. It's twice as fast as most other assaults, has a longer jump range, it's pretty burly, and it's capable of punching the crap out of anything that gets close to it.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    You took me on a hell of a ride there, Heffling. Congrats on the strong performance!
    The bigger miracle is getting a FW game at all. :x

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    So, when someone posts a screenshot like that, I just automatically assume that they're bragging about the damage score, so I immediately looked at that.

And I saw it was over 3k, and thought "Holy fucking shitballs, that's amazing".

And then I saw the four 'Mech designations on the right side, and realized that this had to be in Faction Warfare.

Then my brain did the math quick, and I though "Y'know, that's really really good!"

It's totally bragging. I didn't show the team scores, but the next highest on my team was in the 1800's. I was on fire, and took quite a lot of aggressive risks that paid off.

• Options

I would 100% play a mech battle royale game

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Several Oosik Thursday matches ago, I pitched an idea:

Battle(tech) Royale!

Mechs drop in like the Atlas did in that MWO trailer from yester-year...except they drop in completely unarmed. You find lasers, launchers, autocannons, ppcs out on the field of battle and have to pick them up to be able to use them. Which means one thing...

...if a mech doesn't have hand actuators, they're not going to be able to pick up weapons.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Spectrum wrote: »
    The bigger miracle is getting a FW game at all. :x

I've done one so far after joining Ghost Bear. Was mocked for not knowing what to do about 3 seconds after it started: "I've been playing for 5 years, if you don't know what to do don't play FW, guess we are just wasting our time because we have a new player in a trial mech..." surprise, I ended up winning the match for our team...
    Also it took forever to find a match.

I like objective play, but so many matches just turn into TDM in quickplay, and it seems like they don't have the population for more game modes?

monkeykins on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, while I can appreciate how quickly games pop (at least in solo drop Quick Play), it does feel like most drop points and objective modes have been designed for both teams to just brawl in the middle with as little downtime as possible.

Which I don't mind, but they do kind of blur together after a while, it's death ball versus death ball or go home. I have vague memories of people having to split up to hold objective in the past due to them being too far apart to quickly reach, but they're practically a stone's throw away now. I at least wish the Domination point moved around, the city part of River City seems entirely pointless because the fight always happens in the middle of the lake.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, while I can appreciate how quickly games pop (at least in solo drop Quick Play), it does feel like most drop points and objective modes have been designed for both teams to just brawl in the middle with as little downtime as possible.

Which I don't mind, but they do kind of blur together after a while, it's death ball versus death ball or go home. I have vague memories of people having to split up to hold objective in the past due to them being too far apart to quickly reach, but they're practically a stone's throw away now. I at least wish the Domination point moved around, the city part of River City seems entirely pointless because the fight always happens in the middle of the lake.

Respawns would do it. Perhaps new drops every 2 min, one lance at a time in order of death time. Increase the time on Domination, award ticks to whatever team has more tonnage in the cap zone. Assault would need to reduce the time to cap the enemy base.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of weight influencing how slowly/quickly points are capped. So it's not always just lights running around the outside points like chickens while everyone else brawls on the middle point.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Well yeah obv

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg