As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] 2 More Legolas's Pineapples

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yesterday i was working from home cuz we got the day off, but we can use floating holidays so i was like i'll work and then take my bday off

and i was like aw yeah i'm gonna get so much done, i have so much to do, but today is all set, sunday i made a good plan and a to do list, was productive with life stuff and reading sunday, i had no meetings or distractions, no commute

and then i started my day off in a distracted manner with internet
    and i managed to get a bit of work done but mostly i just clicked around the internet for the entire day
    i couldn't break the loop

according to rescue time, i barely spent like 25% of my time on my computer on work (that is, even having the work document being the focus of my screen)
    and according to my phone when i went to bed i spent 6.5 hours on my phone too

feelsbadman - it me: https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-procrastinators-procrastinate.html
    in the dark playground forever

fuckin problems
    fuckin brain

poo
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Stan Lee must really be wondering why he is in a Christian version of the afterlife.

He was Jewish right? What huge differences are there between Jewish and Christian heaven other than Jesus being the reason for the season?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Accidentally committing suicide by trying to take a selfie, I tried to consider the philosophical implications there and my brain did the equivalent of turning two mirrors to face each other.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Oh boy here comes a new round of cramps. I hoped they were gone.

shit I may have to call out regardless I cannot go in like this

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    i am trying not to describe my brain as bad if that's ok

Sorry 'Chu, I've grown a little flippant about it, I apologize <3

it's cool just don't ever do it again or i'll hack your IP and compromise all your network nodes

I don't know what all that last stuff means but it sounds hot

It was hot

Trust me

Im a computer scientist

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Stan Lee must really be wondering why he is in a Christian version of the afterlife.

He was Jewish right? What huge differences are there between Jewish and Christian heaven other than Jesus being the reason for the season?

We don't have a heaven.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

It's a LOT more vague since there isn't a lot of focus on what is to come rather than how you live your life in the world, is how I always understood it.

Like, what is to come is supposedly better, but bright lights and pearly gates and whatnot are trappings of pop christianity not supported by any kind of text.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There really isn't a solid definition of Heaven in Judaism

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    No Hell, either.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The fill valve in my toilet is spraying water when I flush, so it dribbles down the side of the tank. Not too bad, and hopefully a simple replacement.

I assume it's cracked from the tectonic force of me dropping ass

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also, "what is to come" can just as easily describe the post-messianic era and the resurrection of the dead as it does any concept of an afterlife.

Honestly I am a fan of religions that shrug towards things they can't be certain of. It's endearing as opposed to folks who say they know exactly what exists beyond the unknown.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I had been feeling detached interest and or indignace about the whole matter. Something big happened, it's interesting and indignance over the stupid errors likely done

But today seeing the pictures of if going fully under I felt a sharp pang of sadness

It is just plain sad to see a ship go down

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    To be fair Christian Heaven is almost a complete invention of Milton and Dante anyways

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    On Nov. 12, 1970, two infamous characters were given life in Oregon.

On the same day Oregon engineers used dynamite to remove a beached whale's carcass from an Oregon beach, figure skater Tonya Harding was born in a Portland hospital. Both characters would inspire awe through their sheer power, and both rose to and fell from grace, leaving behind a trail of debris that would captivate people for decades to come.
    Some writer really had fun with this article.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

We don't have a heaven.

Neat I didn't know that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

jewish iconography generally would not portray the sort of direct, physical interaction invested in christian art and eschatology. there are of course holy figures who communed, historically, but there's far more of a uh, brightness. most observant jews would not think of just, speaking with yahweh. it's a staring at the sun sort of reverence.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    No Hell, either.

Well not really.

There are stories about God opening the Earth and swallowing people who pissed him off. Gehenna is the term that is usually used. Judaism is more focused on the, "don't get struck by lightning because you fucked up." Its a more focus on living not on what happens when you die.

You do get the messianic stuff where when God comes to Earth and lands the temple he resurrects the Jews to sit at his right hand as his eternal bureaucracy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    To be fair Christian Heaven is almost a complete invention of Milton and Dante anyways

But ... Revelation chapter 21.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    You do get the messianic stuff where when God comes to Earth and lands the temple he resurrects the Jews to sit at his right hand as his eternal bureaucracy.

how is this real and not a racist joke

• Options
    oops i misunderstood your question

• Options
    The more I learn about the Jewish religion and morality and the afterlife the more I'm convinced they have way better ideas on how to live life.

Also their weddings are fucking dope.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That was a very good callback to Dark Souls 1

Oh look a dragon, I'll come back later when I have a bow

*returns with a bow, lands one arrow and instantly gets set of fire by a return fireball*

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    No Hell, either.

Well not really.

There are stories about God opening the Earth and swallowing people who pissed him off. Gehenna is the term that is usually used. Judaism is more focused on the, "don't get struck by lightning because you fucked up." Its a more focus on living not on what happens when you die.

Right - the post-messianic era is definitely a state change in the world according to the faith, but it's not a classic "heaven" as it were.

I honestly place that stuff alongside the Book of Revelation as a metaphor-strewn prophecy of its time rather than something guaranteed to transpire at some point.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

how is this real and not a racist joke

Its more "God shall resurrect Jews and they shall sit at his right hand." It always seemed to me we run the "eternal government" thing by sitting at God's right hand. We are the Court aka the bureaucracy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    cicadian shit must be real because i do not understand people who are night owls by choice. there is some fundamental, broad schism between them and i. middle of the night is the most useless, shitty stretch of time there's ever been. what a waste of hours in a day.

There aren't any people late at night though, it's great.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    An afterlife that gives the chosen people a nice, solid job in the government bureaucracy is a fantastic touch.

Is it all ambrosia and singing and choirs and our wishes come true instantly?

No, what are you, kidding? It's OK, though, you get a good job, it's nice, it's safe, you'll be fine.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The more I learn about the Jewish religion and morality and the afterlife the more I'm convinced they have way better ideas on how to live life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETCM90yHiY

• Options
    ok apparently I am not allowed to ingest anything today. I drank 4-6oz of water with my pill and it triggered about 15-20 minutes of agony.

someone come hang IV fluids so I can work and get fluids without pain.

• Options
    How long do I gotta work in the bureaucracy tho, can I like quit and find a nice quiet job not dealing with dumbass souls somewhere else?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    in my faith, heaven is an eternal JO sess with Our Holy Bro

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @Elki I know you are mostly on Xbone, this seems like a decent deal if you are getting on to FO 76

• Options

But ... Revelation chapter 21.

Its like when Disney started making entire movies about throwaway Star Wars characters

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm also a fan of jewish theology + philosophy (and theodicies) and food and also the women

There's absolutely no way you can portmanteau 'weeaboo' and 'jew' without sounding unbelievably offensive but yeah

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/13/18087002/kilogram-new-definition-kg-metric-unit-ipk-measurement

Ok this is fkn fascinating.

We are no longer going to use the kilogram as the true unit of measurement for kg any more. Come the 16th, we will rely on pure math instead of the physical object.

End of a fuckin' era.

Also, this paragraph blew my mind:
    Le Grand K has proved this point itself. Although the kilogram is made of one of the most stable alloys known to science and treated with reverential care — it has sat, undisturbed, in the same location for almost its entire life, encased in a trio of vacuum-sealed bell jars — it has also, inexplicably, been losing weight.

During ceremonial weigh-ins that take place every few decades, when reference copies of the International Prototype Kilogram are flown in from around the world and compared to their distinguished forebear, the IPK has been found to have lost around 50 micrograms in mass, roughly equal to a single eyelash. Of course, because the IPK is the definition of the kilogram, it can’t technically lose or gain weight. Instead, it’s more accurate to say that the rest of the world has been getting slightly heavier.

I am glad to know it is not my binge drinking and overeating that has caused this dilemma. Thanks, science!

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Eddy just wakes up in the morning and invents new racial slurs

• Options
    judaism is very focused on living a meaningful and good life. thinking about it now, the afterlife is not a popular question in judaism. that's pretty amazing. i don't mean that in an ass kissing way, where judaism is better. it's just remarkable to me, raised for most of my life now in a culture where eternal communion with god and his grace is this ineffable, ultimate desire. because as time goes on, the question of the jewish afterlife is talked about less and less (ime, in both israel and america). everything is about mitzvahs. the closest thing to a jewish heaven i heard discussed in my ultra orthodox upbringing was a realm where the righteous just continue their study and practice of judaism. so meme-y that the best outcome a jew can hope for is to be a better jew forever and ever.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of jewish theology + philosophy (and theodicies) and food and also the women

There's absolutely no way you can portmanteau 'weeaboo' and 'jew' without sounding unbelievably offensive but yeah

Hee-a-brew is the closest I could get. And even that feels close to terrible.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

I feel like weeabrew is solid

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    100% of the women i've gone out with were jewish

not sure the sample size is large enough for that to be a meaningful statistic

This discussion has been closed.