As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    A little dry is fixed by a healthy application of gravy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I really don't mind a slightly-dry chicken or turkey breast, ESPECIALLY if there's pan gravy to pour over it.

Goddamn. Thanksgiving is the best holiday.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think I missed something, why is there electrolysis happening?

Made dumplings again.

Did a chicken and mushroom mix.

shitake, white buttons, and phoenix mushrooms, chopped up small and then cooked down in some oil with onion and garlic powder, some ginger, and some added hoisin sauce.

Mixed that up with chicken mince and more garlic, ginger, and hoisin. Should have added in some chili sauce or something.
    filled the dumplings and then steamed in my new bamboo steamer for 15 minutes.

They needed more seasoning, definitely. more salt, pepper, etc. but overall not too bad.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah I'm also curious what cooking purpose electrolysis could serve

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I know it's one way to clean cast iron

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »

Bingo. Stripping off some old pans. I don't know their history so getting them down to bare iron, lead testing them then reseasoning. Since good cast iron leads to good cooking, i figured it was appropriate.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Bingo. Stripping off some old pans. I don't know their history so getting them down to bare iron, lead testing them then reseasoning. Since good cast iron leads to good cooking, i figured it was appropriate.

I'm fascinated. Please to be documenting everything.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I also made dumplings yesterday. But the kind that go in stew. Because I made stew. And then broke my vegetarian streak because it turns out I don't have the willpower to resist a good stew.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I also made dumplings yesterday. But the kind that go in stew. Because I made stew. And then broke my vegetarian streak because it turns out I don't have the willpower to resist a good stew.

Sometimes we all need a Stu stew inside of us.

• Options
    Holy shit that electrolysis tank is totally working. The skillet inside of it is about 80% stripped. Only the worst stuff in the middle of the skillet is left. Hopefuly by this afternoon it will be dissolved off. I should have taken a before photo.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I really don't mind a slightly-dry chicken or turkey breast, ESPECIALLY if there's pan gravy to pour over it.

Yeah I followed a recipie from Chef John about making your own stock and then making gravy and the whole time I was thinking "Man this is a lot of work it had better be worth it" I did have to thicken it up a little with some cornstarch/cold water but it was totally worth it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I have found a relatively straightforward recipe for Danish pastry dough on King Arthur's (the flour not the mythical ruler) website, and I actually still have @lonelyahava 's challah recipe. At least I think it was hers... Either way I'm set for future holiday baking. I should try making the dough for Thanksgiving or something before Christmas...

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Andorra!

Now, Andorra is a land-locked microstate with a population about the size of Chino, California. What kind of unique cuisine could it have, I hear you ask?

Andorra is the only extant sovereign state with a majority Catalan population, you hypothetical dope! And so until the fascists in Madrid see the writing on the wall, this is the only chance for an alphabetical cookery tour to dip into the rich well of Catalan cuisine!

I have cooked Escudella, a ridiculously meaty stew that includes bone broth, chicken, prosciutto, and some homemade sausage I made with my parents and nephews a couple of months ago. It's possibly the richest thing I've ever eaten, and exactly the kind of food I'd want if I was pulled half-frozen out of a snowdrift and needed to be nursed back to life.

079i97rginyy.png

Hilariously, after I drove halfway across town to get some good neck bones from a carniceria for the broth, I found that my local grocery store didn't sell any cabbage. And kind of looked at me like an asshole for assuming they'd have cabbage. So for greens I substituted spinach instead. Screw cabbage anyway, that stuff kind of sucks.

First of all how dare you.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bunch of leftover limes from a caiparinha party, so I made lime curd

owarzne88rst.jpg

Whoops no jars!

a35ixsax22nf.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    made beef stew again with a basic mirepoix of onions/carrots/celery, herbs, plus potatoes, mushrooms and acorn squash. The squash really goes perfectly in it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I made a frittata for the first time tonight and it turned out just about perfect. Didn't collapse too much, the egg was just slightly browned on top, released almost completely clean from the pan. It was super tasty too. Some applewood smoked chicken sausage, bell peppers, onion, garlic, cheese with chili powder, paprika, a dash of cumin and salt and pepper to finish it off.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Yeah I followed a recipie from Chef John about making your own stock and then making gravy and the whole time I was thinking "Man this is a lot of work it had better be worth it" I did have to thicken it up a little with some cornstarch/cold water but it was totally worth it.

Do you roux?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Finished up my first cast iron restoration. A 2000ish 12" Lodge skillet that had seen better days. For $10 it was an easy buy on craigslist though. It took 36 hours in the electrolysis tank, then a wire brush and a rasp to get some of the super stubborn seasoning off. After that though the surface was super smooth, versus the gravel driveway texture it had before I started. Cleaned it, lead tested it then 2 coats of vegetable oil later it looks better than new and is ready to cook! Going to fry up some bacon tomorrow.

z9kmtc03uz9i.jpg

• Options
    chicken dumpling soup! fresh picked snow peas from the garden

• Options
    chicken dumpling soup! fresh picked snow peas from the garden

Hot damn that looks tasty.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    It is entirely possible that we are going to skip the turkey on thanksgiving and cook a standing rib roast.

I'm rather confident in my skills in this particular area, but there is something to be said for cooking a $150+ slab of beef for 7 people that gives you pause.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that we are going to skip the turkey on thanksgiving and cook a standing rib roast.

I'm rather confident in my skills in this particular area, but there is something to be said for cooking a $150+ slab of beef for 7 people that gives you pause.

Well yeah, but just think of the ribs! The riiiibs!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Well yeah, but just think of the ribs! The riiiibs!

Oh, I am. This isn't the first time I've cooked one of those beautiful slabs of goodness so I'm kinda hoping the family and guest vote goes the right way. If not I'l be cooking the turkey (and the entire meal) regardless so I get the flavors I'm looking for.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hey @webguy20 how do you do the lead testing?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Hey @webguy20 how do you do the lead testing?

I bought some 3m lead testing sticks on amazon. You rub them on the surface you're testing and if they turn bright pink there is lead present. Have to strip the pan to bare iron to test though. Thats why its so popular to strip and reseason when you get a pan where you don't know its history.

Also note that I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff, and am parroting things Ive read in guides.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    If I were to make my Danish dough on Christmas Eve, could it rest overnight in the fridge for baking in the morning? Or do I need to get up at like 4 and sacrifice my sleep to the baking gods?

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Gonna make sourdough pizza today; I know I should proof overnight but I would like pizza today

The super long proofing can happen next weekend

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Sourdough pizza sounds truly excellent. I imagine you have to be pretty vigilant about bubbles in the dough though. Which I guess you should be anyway with pizza.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    We haven't found out the most important part of Thanksgiving yet

I still don't know if there will be an mst3k marathon or not.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    We haven't found out the most important part of Thanksgiving yet

I still don't know if there will be an mst3k marathon or not.

There will be

The one you put on!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    sarukun wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »
    What is a good skillet/frying pan for everyday use? And I mean every day.

5/7 days a week we're making an omelette for lunch. 5.5/7 we're cooking a dinner that uses the pan. Every weekend it's either French Toast or pancakes for breakfast. Lots of Asian foods for dinner. Lots of stir fry. We've never deep fried.

We've used nonstick pans from a T-Fal, Greenpan, and Cook's Essentials... and I don't know if it's something that we're doing to them or if we've been getting bad ones or if it's just the nature of them but it seems like none of the pans we've had have lasted for more than 2 years before the coating starts discoloring and food starts sticking to the point where we don't want to use them anymore. I'm not using metal tools on them... it's either nylon spatulas or wood utensils.

That sounds almost like oils are oxidizing on the pan...? If you don't remove the cooking oils when you clean your pans, the oil will start as a pale yellow and tacky stain, and go to like a dark brown eventually. If it's dark, it usually means it needs a really thorough scrubbing with dish soap and a rough nylon sponge.

That, or they're cooking too hot and killing the pans. Nonsticks really don't like to be above a medium-high heat.

Most pans it turns out like medium heat. You can sear a steak without having to go above halfway on the burner.

I think thats the biggest thing I've learned while cooking. High setting doesn't equal faster, it equals burnt outside and under done inside, and possible damage to the equipment.

Only time i use high heat anymore is to boil water.

This depends entirely on what manner of food you are cooking.

For Western food it’s pretty spot on, but for a great many Chinese dishes, only the most burninatingest fires will do.

It is why your fried rice is (most probably) soggy and sucks.

I would imagine at those temperatures i probably would want gas burners versus electric.

The trick is that you always want gas burners. Always.

I've done a complete 180 on IH stovetops. I thought I really wanted gas, but couldn't find one in the apartments I was shopping for last year. Got IH instead and have discovered that it's much more efficient.
    I obviously can't do things like blister peppers or flambe or whatever, but for the 95% of cooking tasks I do all the time I get it done faster with IH with less hassle.

Edit: Though, the big asterisk following the recommendation for IH is that you need to check if the cookware supports it. Admittedly I had to replace all of mine with metal cored stuff, but I like the new pots and pans I bought.

godmode on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Induction seems very rad and I doubt I will ever feel comfortable cooking with it.

• Options
    I love my induction cooktop. I can't use my wok or do anything with fire.

but I love that I can cook spaghetti for my kid in less than 9 minutes. Very easy for the end of the day

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I love my induction burner. It's really nice to be able to set something to exactly 215 for just the absolute mildest simmer.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My parents have induction hobs and they're great. I do prefer them to gas because they're just as quick but with less risk of setting things on fire. But I guess I still see them as a rare, premium kind of thing because I still don't know anyone but my parents who have them and I assume they're expensive.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Seasoning the cast iron pan this morning; we've been using it a long time but never given it a proper, rigorous seasoning, so it's time to rectify that

This urge was brought on by a rather pretty spot of polymerized oil on one of our baking sheets

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I love my induction burner. It's really nice to be able to set something to exactly 215 for just the absolute mildest simmer.

The obvious solution is to get a gas stove/range and then buy one of those induction hotplates for those times you want one of those perfect simmers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

The obvious solution is to get a gas stove/range and then buy one of those induction hotplates for those times you want one of those perfect simmers.

Or get an induction stove with a separate gas job for the few times you need one.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I used an immersion blender for the first time last night. It is magic. I used it to make a super creamy cauliflower stew.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I used an immersion blender for the first time last night. It is magic. I used it to make a super creamy cauliflower stew.

one of us!
    one of us!

I use mine maybe 5 times a year, but those 5 times, nothing else will work

This discussion has been closed.