As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Going to hit up the store today and pick up a thermoworks thermopop. I need to step up my thermometer game and my old slow offbrand one finally died.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Seasoning the cast iron pan this morning; we've been using it a long time but never given it a proper, rigorous seasoning, so it's time to rectify that

This urge was brought on by a rather pretty spot of polymerized oil on one of our baking sheets

This didn't turn out quite like I wanted it to; to look at, the seasoning is still uneven and coarse-textured. I wonder if I should leave it in longer, or maybe if I should be using more oil—I was using the absolute minimum that I could while being sure that I got at least some on every part

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Seasoning the cast iron pan this morning; we've been using it a long time but never given it a proper, rigorous seasoning, so it's time to rectify that

This urge was brought on by a rather pretty spot of polymerized oil on one of our baking sheets

This didn't turn out quite like I wanted it to; to look at, the seasoning is still uneven and coarse-textured. I wonder if I should leave it in longer, or maybe if I should be using more oil—I was using the absolute minimum that I could while being sure that I got at least some on every part

Less oil. Always less. If its patchy and tacky you used too much.

Wipe the pan with oil as light as you can, get it in the oven. About 10 minutes in pull it out, wipe off excessive oil then put it back in for the remaining time.

Watch cowboy kent rollins on youtube. He has a series on taking care of cast iron, and it hasn't steered my wrong.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Wipe the pan with oil as light as you can, get it in the oven. About 10 minutes in pull it out, wipe off excessive oil then put it back in for the remaining time.

Watch cowboy kent rollins on youtube. He has a series on taking care of cast iron, and it hasn't steered my wrong.

Hmm. All right, I'll look that up. I went by the Serious Eats method, which was "use as little as possible, no that's too much, and buff it with cloth until you can't tell you added any to begin with, then throw it in the oven for 30, then do that 2-3 more times"

I guess the real thign that bugs me is that it looks like it did before I started, because I didn't strip off the (uneven) seasoning that we'd developed over time spent cooking. Should I start with scrubbing everything off with steel wool?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Hmm. All right, I'll look that up. I went by the Serious Eats method, which was "use as little as possible, no that's too much, and buff it with cloth until you can't tell you added any to begin with, then throw it in the oven for 30, then do that 2-3 more times"

I guess the real thign that bugs me is that it looks like it did before I started, because I didn't strip off the (uneven) seasoning that we'd developed over time spent cooking. Should I start with scrubbing everything off with steel wool?

How uneven you talking about? Like is it actually lumpy? If it is an issue and you want to start from scratch id use the oven cleaner spray method to get it down to the bare iron.

Also i bake mine for an hour at 425f, pulling it out and wiping it off after that first 10 minutes.

If you've been using it a bunch and it was functioning as a nonstick pan it probably didn't need an oven seasoning. Thats for setting the initial seasoning.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Going to hit up the store today and pick up a thermoworks thermopop. I need to step up my thermometer game and my old slow offbrand one finally died.

I love Thermoworks! We have a ChefAlarm (for leave in) and a Thermapen (for instant). Which may be a bit of overkill but the ease of whipping out the latter really is fantastic. They usually have good end of year sales if I recall correctly.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    I don't know that I'd call it working as nonstick? We've always used oil when we cook. I guess I could try to fry some eggs in it just to see...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I love my induction burner. It's really nice to be able to set something to exactly 215 for just the absolute mildest simmer.

The obvious solution is to get a gas stove/range and then buy one of those induction hotplates for those times you want one of those perfect simmers.

Or get an induction stove with a separate gas job for the few times you need one.

It's a lot easier to run an electric cable to a worktop than it is a gas line.

And safer.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I don't know that I'd call it working as nonstick? We've always used oil when we cook. I guess I could try to fry some eggs in it just to see...

Noooooo!

Eggs stick to everything!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Noooooo!

Nahhh. Ive gotten one of my cast irons built up enough i can do scrambled eggs without sticking.

Also always use a bit of oil. If the pan is seasoned well, and has a light layer of oil applied, just about everything should float around in the pan as if it was in a teflon no stick.

• Options
    I cook as I live: recklessly and with the knowledge that I may regret my actions in the immediate future

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm gonna make brownies.

with some dried cherries and pistachios.

Why?

cause I want brownies.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    A little dry is fixed by a healthy application of gravy.
    I really don't mind a slightly-dry chicken or turkey breast, ESPECIALLY if there's pan gravy to pour over it.

Goddamn. Thanksgiving is the best holiday.

Yeah I followed a recipie from Chef John about making your own stock and then making gravy and the whole time I was thinking "Man this is a lot of work it had better be worth it" I did have to thicken it up a little with some cornstarch/cold water but it was totally worth it.

Do you roux?

I did but it wasn't thick enough

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Just a heads up: the actual thermometer probe is a skinny metal thing. The plastic tube covering it is just like a scabbard, and if you dip that directly into frying oil it'll melt the shit out of it.

I, uh...a friend had that happen to him when he bought his first thermopop. It was very embarrassing. For him.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »

Just a heads up: the actual thermometer probe is a skinny metal thing. The plastic tube covering it is just like a scabbard, and if you dip that directly into frying oil it'll melt the shit out of it.

I, uh...a friend had that happen to him when he bought his first thermopop. It was very embarrassing. For him.

Hahaha. I've had probe thermometers before. Thanks for the tip though. It must have came as quite the surprise for your....friend. At least they can be a cautionary tail.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to dry brine our turkey for Thanksgiving but my mom who always helps is like "why"

Someone give me a good argument to convince her that I'm right and we should try it this year.

And then tell me how to do it because I'll have to take care of it a few days before hand personally.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want to dry brine our turkey for Thanksgiving but my mom who always helps is like "why"

Someone give me a good argument to convince her that I'm right and we should try it this year.

And then tell me how to do it because I'll have to take care of it a few days before hand personally.

Flavor, So Much Flavor! for a dry brine you'll rub a spice mix under the skin a few hours before the bird goes to cook. If you want some fun get a food safe 5 gallon bucket, fill it full of a salt brine solution, put the turkey in it for 8-12 hours with a bunch of ice (to keep it cold!) and enjoy the juicy amazingness.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tell her it'll taste even better and the meat will be much less dry.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Her solution is always "more butter"

I'm just going to go for it I think this year.

I'm not quite sure I'll be able to get a food safe bucket so I'll just dry rub it up the afternoon before Thanksgiving and pop it in a big bowl (we typically get a 12 lbs bird since it is only three people eating) in the fridge with some light plastic wrap over it.

I'm also considering home made dinner roll dough this year...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    i'm gonna make brownies.

Why?

cause I want brownies.

Damn, I’ve been trying to figure out what to use this home-made grenadine for and cherry-pistachio-grenadine-layered brownies sounds fuckin’ aces, thanks.

• Options
    I bought one of those fish spatulas last night and used it for grilled cheese. Man that thing is awesome. Cant wait to use it for burgers. Might make some stuffed burgers friday.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I bought one of those fish spatulas last night and used it for grilled cheese. Man that thing is awesome. Cant wait to use it for burgers. Might make some stuffed burgers friday.

Stuffed with what?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

My brother and my mom had that conversation a few years back.

The compromise: Two smaller turkeys, one brined and smoked, one in the classic method.
    End result: turkey leftovers for days. Everybody wins.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Noooooo!

Nahhh. Ive gotten one of my cast irons built up enough i can do scrambled eggs without sticking.

Also always use a bit of oil. If the pan is seasoned well, and has a light layer of oil applied, just about everything should float around in the pan as if it was in a teflon no stick.

People fuss about getting the perfect seasoning way too much. Our grandma's didn't fret about it, they just used the pans, and kept using them. That's the key, just keep using them, regardless of how pretty they look, and the seasoning will build up over time.

As for non-stick, cast-iron will never be like teflon. But as you hit on, oil and heat solves everything. You could cook eggs in stainless, that everything sticks to, given you use enough (a lot) of fat and have it properly heated. The key is to have enough hot oil that the egg bottom cooks instantly as it hits the fat and floats a bit on it preventing it from adhering to the bottom of the pan.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Noooooo!

People fuss about getting the perfect seasoning way too much. Our grandma's didn't fret about it, they just used the pans, and kept using them. That's the key, just keep using them, regardless of how pretty they look, and the seasoning will build up over time.

As for non-stick, cast-iron will never be like teflon. But as you hit on, oil and heat solves everything. You could cook eggs in stainless, that everything sticks to, given you use enough (a lot) of fat and have it properly heated. The key is to have enough hot oil that the egg bottom cooks instantly as it hits the fat and floats a bit on it preventing it from adhering to the bottom of the pan.

Yep. I follow the cast iron subreddit and the main takeaway is just keep cooking in it.

The only time pans really need work is if the seasoning is fairly lumpy, the pan got scorched and the seasoning peeled off or if you dont know the history of the pan and need to strip it to lead test or make sure all the seasoning is vegetarian friendly.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Double Posting because MMMmm MMMmmm Good.

First real attempt at doing deep fried chicken fully immersed in oil. I got about 80% there. It was a bit overcooked, and the coating wasn't quite flavorful enough, but both of those things are easily rectified. the chicken was still super juicy though, and I don't feel nearly as bad afterwards as I would with KFC.

First picture is fresh in the oil, 2nd is about 8 minutes in after the flip, and of course the final product. Biggest change I'll make is instead of 16 minutes, I'm going to do 12 and then check temperature.

qgqegtccyc29.jpg
    3sy5jgg4n6w9.jpg
    u1q7bmgogp0i.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    A little dry is fixed by a healthy application of gravy.
    I really don't mind a slightly-dry chicken or turkey breast, ESPECIALLY if there's pan gravy to pour over it.

Goddamn. Thanksgiving is the best holiday.

Yeah I followed a recipie from Chef John about making your own stock and then making gravy and the whole time I was thinking "Man this is a lot of work it had better be worth it" I did have to thicken it up a little with some cornstarch/cold water but it was totally worth it.

Do you roux?

I did but it wasn't thick enough

Yeah I've found that just using pan drippings as the fat base never seems to be quite good enough. Plus I'm a snob for a blonde roux so I always want more roux

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Wow webguy what kind of spider is that? I like that fine mesh style there.

Also do you brine your chicken before frying it? I've gotten into a 2 hour yogurt marinade and it's incredible.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Wow webguy what kind of spider is that? I like that fine mesh style there.

Also do you brine your chicken before frying it? I've gotten into a 2 hour yogurt marinade and it's incredible.

I have no idea on the spider, picked it up at bed bath and beyond this week. I also liked the fine mesh.

I do a two hour saltwater brine, then drain off 95% of it and add in a pint of butter milk and let that sit for an hour then off to the races. What is this yogurt recipe of which you speak?

• Options
    Oh I just literally put it in a Ziplock bag filled with basic (non-Greek) flavorless yogurt for a couple hours. I did it with tikka masala like a year ago and it's just what I do with chicken now.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Got a good chicken going

8xb7safrj1d9.jpg

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I made a Cincinnati-style chili today:

GebAO0Q.jpg?1

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I did not like it all

xet8c.gif

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Got a good chicken going

8xb7safrj1d9.jpg

Story checks out, I am definitely lookin’ at a good chicken.

• Options
    That's not a chicken, that's a man boo!

• Options
    My dining room table arrives today.

This weekend is the Thanksgiving Costco run.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    i'm gonna make brownies.

Why?

cause I want brownies.

Because I don't know what brownie mix we were getting so I bought the 5 different styles
    We figured it out after the 2nd one so we are now stuck with 3 other boxes. Still I really want beef and noodles but see the bad food thread of why and the sadness

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    My dining room table arrives today.

This weekend is the Thanksgiving Costco run.

I swear to goodness if you don't take every single photo you can of this, I will be so sad.

Let me live through you, friend.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My oldest son wants to make Il Tempano from Babish with me

I can't wait!

Even if I'm going to have to make a bunch of sausage before we even start!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    My oldest son wants to make Il Tempano from Babish with me

I can't wait!

Even if I'm going to have to make a bunch of sausage before we even start!

It's one I've been meaning to try and as we get closer to winter I think that this is the year.

Just set aside an entire Saturday to prep and then Sunday for the eating of it.

Are you going to buy a special bowl or what?

This discussion has been closed.