As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    No worries, the quest doesn't even bother to give you a marker so you're just kinda flailing down there.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I'm pluckin' my way through Fallout 4 and - while I dislike that I basically can't interact with a lot of the settlement jazz without a Cha-6 perk, I'm having a good time. It's been so long that I've forgotten most of it, and, in kind of an indictment of the current gen, it doesn't look bad.

I love the system for crits and love the Luck stat perks. Pull out a big gun, aim at someone way too far to hit and make it an auto-crit? That's lovely. Store like 5 of them with a luck perk? Oh yes.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    4 is fine. but it feels like they smooshed 2 games together and the settlement/builder part was just an afterthought. mostly if you ignore it other than making yourself workbenches and a little farm it doesnt impact very much. if youre trying to build a castle it kinda falls apart.

i thought 76 was mostly fine on original launch content wise. but it's still a terrible grind to even gain levels, and doing the story quests really doesnt give you shit compared to just showing up to public events and other people just blowing everything up. 76 is very much about the destination (end game/high levels) while all the other games were about the journey.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    In the spirit of the ttw playing going in I feel like I should link a similar in spirit mod - fallout et tu.

https://github.com/rotators/Fo1in2

It’s fallout in the fallout 2 engine.

Why?

Well companions are the main reason honestly. Fallout 2 companions are handled much better.

But also a lot of other togglable fallout 2 features like upgradable weapons, a highwayman equivalent, etc.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    4 is fine. but it feels like they smooshed 2 games together and the settlement/builder part was just an afterthought. mostly if you ignore it other than making yourself workbenches and a little farm it doesnt impact very much. if youre trying to build a castle it kinda falls apart.

i thought 76 was mostly fine on original launch content wise. but it's still a terrible grind to even gain levels, and doing the story quests really doesnt give you shit compared to just showing up to public events and other people just blowing everything up. 76 is very much about the destination (end game/high levels) while all the other games were about the journey.

I didn't pay attention to levels really at all when I played 76, I just played it like a fallout, and enjoyed it a lot.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wonder if they’ll add a new achievement to fallout 4 for this new enclave quest

• Options
    So I started running through fallout 1 in et tu, and just have to say:

Holy shit the beginning of fallout 1 is just a billion times better than fallout 2. I think a lot of the reason I remember liking fallout 1 better is just because it doesn’t spend the first couple of hours repeatedly dick punching you and actually has appropriate low level content.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    The Temple of Trials gets a lot of grief, their publisher demanded it be implemented a slow paced mandatory tutorial section without any option to skip it (good thing Bethesda learnt from their mistake and didn’t put anything like that at the start of Fallout 3). Even past that though, the difficulty of early areas in Fallout 2 really seems to assume you have a pretty good familiarity with the systems from the first game.

• Options
    edited April 23
    Yeah even without the temple of trials in Fallout 2 a lot of times as soon as you leave arryo on the way to klamath you will pop up in a random encounter of like 10 spore plants or 10 raiders or something of the like. Can you run away from those encounters? Sure, you can unless you get unlucky and they alpha strike you. Does it feel like great design? No not really.

And even with temple of trials - Fallout 1 has the caves outside the vault, it has vault 15 - these are similar areas but the difference is a low level nonoptimized character can actually clear those areas reasonably, the rats are pretty much just one shot enemies for the most part, and you get a companion and decent gun very early. Temple of trials has enemies of similar difficulty to vault 15 - but no companions, no guns, etc. Your basic options are beeline to the end and pass a speech check or have a character decent in melee and unarmed. And even outside the geckos are a good bit tougher than anything you’re expected to fight unarmed and by yourself in FO1, there seems to be no lower level limit for encounters (or the areas immediately around the starting area are set as higher level than fallout 1), etc..

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Fallout 2 is a lot more actiony, it assumes you've played the shit out of Fallout 1 and that the player will be power gaming.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Iirc FO3 was an “open world” but it’s a lie. That’s why there’s insurmountable walls requiring using subways to travel anywhere. I think they just couldn’t get a wide open space to work

• Options
    edited April 23
    Iirc FO3 was an “open world” but it’s a lie. That’s why there’s insurmountable walls requiring using subways to travel anywhere. I think they just couldn’t get a wide open space to work

IIRC in Fallout 3 there’s one big ass “wasteland” worldspace that is everything outside DC, and then DC itself is broken up into several smaller worldspaces.

Looking at Oblivion and New vegas as comparisons, I think honestly the engine did fine with big, open, but relatively less dense worldspaces, but shit the bed when a bunch of buildings and actors and complex props were together in relatively tight proximity (especially on older computers and consoles).

This would also I assume why cities were secluded into their own worldspaces in Oblivion, and why things like Imperial City or Freeside and the Strip needed multiple relatively tiny world spaces but you could have everything outside a city in oblivion be a single worldspace.

Even as late as fallout 4 it seems that where the game really shits the bed as far as performance and stability is when you walk into boston, and for a lot of that to be decent at all the engine is basically “cheating” by using large, precombined (and noninteractable) meshes for things that in past games would have been their own separate objects.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

You're not wrong but that's true for virtually every single "open world" style game that's ever been made.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    IIRC the reason for stuff being split up (like the strip in NV) was due to memory limitations on the consoles. Was the capitol wasteland inaccessible? My recollection was that you didn't have to take the subways if you didn't want to, basically everything was reachable topside.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    IIRC the reason for stuff being split up (like the strip in NV) was due to memory limitations on the consoles. Was the capitol wasteland inaccessible? My recollection was that you didn't have to take the subways if you didn't want to, basically everything was reachable topside.

No, interior DC was completely inaccessible from the rest of the map without using a subway first.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There are now several mods for all of these games that take down the walls, because Moore's Law is a thing and PCs these days can easily handle what would melt the consoles they were originally released on.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm playing FO3 right now and it's as open world as any other open world game. The DC area is chunked up and connected by the subways, but that's just geographical obstruction. And basically any open-world environment should have some obstruction from geography, you can't go out in the real world and go everywhere with just your bare hands.

Yeah, they did it to handle console memory restrictions but piles of city rubble are a reasonable barrier damaged by nuclear warfare.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

No, interior DC was completely inaccessible from the rest of the map without using a subway first.

Yeah if you turn noclip mode on you can literally fly up to the invisible wall, you’ll never fly “over” the obstruction to downtown.

• Options
    edited April 23
    If I could choose to feel anything in this stage of the Operation Anchorage DLC, it would be my limbs.

But I'm the one who chose a squad made of two missile guys and a grenadier so all I can feel is self-recrimination. And definitely not my limbs.

EDIT: Clearing rooms of invisible soldiers is a lot easier with rockets, though.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Entire Squad is Crippled

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

To be fair, this is often how getting into DC feels from the surrounding area IRL.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Yeah even without the temple of trials in Fallout 2 a lot of times as soon as you leave arryo on the way to klamath you will pop up in a random encounter of like 10 spore plants or 10 raiders or something of the like. Can you run away from those encounters? Sure, you can unless you get unlucky and they alpha strike you. Does it feel like great design? No not really.

And even with temple of trials - Fallout 1 has the caves outside the vault, it has vault 15 - these are similar areas but the difference is a low level nonoptimized character can actually clear those areas reasonably, the rats are pretty much just one shot enemies for the most part, and you get a companion and decent gun very early. Temple of trials has enemies of similar difficulty to vault 15 - but no companions, no guns, etc. Your basic options are beeline to the end and pass a speech check or have a character decent in melee and unarmed. And even outside the geckos are a good bit tougher than anything you’re expected to fight unarmed and by yourself in FO1, there seems to be no lower level limit for encounters (or the areas immediately around the starting area are set as higher level than fallout 1), etc..

Fallout 2 seemed to have tied the random encounter rate to PC performance, to a degree that it made a big impact on difficulty if your machine at the time wasn't high end. I first played the game on a computer that I had from some years before the game released and constantly got swarmed by encounters traveling the map. When I upgraded to something more up to date, the game felt way more reasonable. When revisiting the game a decade or more later, it felt like Random Encounters just never happened.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I wonder if they’ll add a new achievement to fallout 4 for this new enclave quest

I hope they do, because then they'd have to get the achievement system working again. I restarted FO4 on Xbox a couple of weeks ago, and the achievements just... don't pop. They're completely broken on Xbox for everybody, and if Bethesda knows how to fix it, they aren't saying. People are hoping the big "next-gen" patch in a couple of days will put things to rights.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    So a note if anyone does play fallout et tu.

To enable the motorcycle and eyebot companion you need to edit the ini.

You really want to do that.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Xbox is usually pretty good with its cloud saves but looks like none of my fallout new Vegas saves went to the cloud, dangit, lost to time I guess

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    @Shimshai today’s patch fixed Fallout 4 PS4 for me.

edit: all console mods are broken though lol. Not that I was planning on using any but if you have saves that depend on them you might be screwed.

august on
  • Options
    Heard elsewhere:

Maximus is the CoD player trying this out.
    Lucy is the girl new to all gaming.
    and the Ghoul is the guy who's played the entire series, some more than once, and knows all the min-max tricks.

• Options
    edited April 26
    SUPRISE bugs and performance problems in the new patch

edit: it's obviously not all bad but this guy had one of the new quests bug and graphical issues and longer load times on pc.

https://youtu.be/G5zED3GAbbA?si=-cZzfA2PB1DU-ZfE

august on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The Creation Engine is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    You people made me reinstall new vegas

• Options
    I remember trying Fallout 1 and 2 back in the day, didn't like 'em. Loved Fallout 3 to bits. Loooved New Vegas. Liked 4 a whole lot, but with this new version on PS5..?

Seeing a Bethesda game, seeing a Fallout game run at sixty frames is shocking
    . It is weird. Suddenly even moving around the environment, walking up these stairs is significantly easier. It can actually be played as a shooter, a little bit! Not a great one, but suddenly playable.

It feels like sixteen years after Fallout 3 came out, I'm finally able to play one of these games as the designers imagined them.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Question that simple googling hasn't answered. I have a PS4 disc of Fallout 4 that I can use install a fresh download of it on my PS5, this I know. The question is does that version then qualify for the upgrade?

Playing New Vegas on my dusty PS3 for an hour after dinner and dishes and kids, etc... has me thinking, "I love this universe...but do I really want to spend my precious free time doing this?"

I mean, if it wasn't for the show.... I'd be scraping together pennies to buy a new game OR downloading RDR2 from a PS4 disc for a replay.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Hello. I have the game of the year edition of Fallout 3 and New Vegas ultimate edition.

If I use the tales of two wasteland mod, will that work with Windows 11?

I know fallout 3 had issues on Windows 11.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Question that simple googling hasn't answered. I have a PS4 disc of Fallout 4 that I can use install a fresh download of it on my PS5, this I know. The question is does that version then qualify for the upgrade?

From what I've seen, yes! The disc is your license, though, so it needs to be in the drive every time you want to play Fallout 4 on PS5.

• Options
    edited April 26
    Karl wrote: »
    Hello. I have the game of the year edition of Fallout 3 and New Vegas ultimate edition.

It should do anything new vegas will do, it only uses assets from Fallout 3. If NVUE runs fine TTW should as well.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Fallout 4 is now Steam Deck Verified (tm).

To start a new game you need to use the virtual keyboard to name your character. The virtual keyboard crashes the goddamn game.

THE ARISTOCRATS

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

It should do anything new vegas will do, it only uses assets from Fallout 3. If NVUE runs fine TTW should as well.

Thank you, from what I'm reading online, running TTW is basically the best way to get Fallout 3 running PC. It has all the bug fix mods as well.

• Options
    As much of a pain in the ass as it was for me to get Tale of Two Wastelands running recently, the game has run nearly perfectly since then. I've had a couple glitches/crashes that were fixed by restarting the game and one crash that required a PC restart, but load times are so immensely improved that it's not a big deal.

Minor warning: FO3 uses the damage/armor system from New Vegas and since enemy balance in FO3 is shit (just big piles of HP), Super Mutants can be a problem because you won't have any armor-piercing or high-damage weapons.

• Options
    edited April 26
    Yeah the balance in TTW has a bit of its own character compared to new vegas - you may really want to invest in energy weapon skill. There are a lot of high armor enemies around, and no 45-70 weapons. IIRC there are some 308 guns (I think in my pure guns run my final weapon was a dead money-style .308 Automatic Rifle somehow? Can’t remember where I got it but I think there was a unique placed one somewhere) anti-materiel rifles that show up but ammo is a problem, especially in Broken Steel, while the enclave is happy to donate plenty of energy weapon ammo to you.

For the most part if it is still the same as when I played IIRC there are some New Vegas weapons (including some lore appropriate weapons from DLC) that weren’t in Fallout 3 that pop up here and there, but generally no “Cowboy” weapons, so a lot less revolvers and lever action guns, etc (aside from ones that were specifically already in FO3).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I don't understand guns mostly, but knowing caliber seems like a useful thing in New Vegas.

What are the piddly baby calibers and what are the big-boy punchy calibers?
    9mm and .22 definitely seem like piddly babies. I don't really know how to rank anything else.