Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So the unfortunate thing about 76 is you need a subscription for private servers, but honestly, you generally don't see people.

I'm one of those weirdos who liked it before they added NPCs, though.

If they had released Fallout 76 as it was but as a player hosted co-op game, I genuinely think it would be universally praised as the best in the series.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So the unfortunate thing about 76 is you need a subscription for private servers, but honestly, you generally don't see people.

I'm one of those weirdos who liked it before they added NPCs, though.

If they had released Fallout 76 as it was but as a player hosted co-op game, I genuinely think it would be universally praised as the best in the series.

Yup. It was the online stuff that brought it down, 100%.

On the other hand, I do appreciate them trying things, even if I don't think they succeed.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 20
    The Horizon mod for Fallout 4 released the 1.9.4 update a few days ago:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374

https://fo4horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Horizon_Wiki

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    I decided to give Fallout 4 another go after watching the show and needing a new game to play. I opted to use that Magnum Opus modlist, and I don't really expect to care about the main story. My plan is to do a lot of exploring and side quests that I missed out on previous playthroughs.

I also finally grabbed Fallout 76 while it was on sale recently. I read it's very doable solo, and not needing to interact with people. Is it like Elite where I can join a "solo map" or is there a PVP flag I can disable? I'll give it a go after I'm done wandering around F4's map.

There's a PVP flag you can disable, and the map being pretty huge and there only being like, 12 people on the map, means you won't see anyone unless you're in a high traffic starter area, or actively choose to.

I think I got into PVP, outside of the deprecated dedicated PVP mode...once. In like five years. It's basically a single player game.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    I decided to give Fallout 4 another go after watching the show and needing a new game to play. I opted to use that Magnum Opus modlist, and I don't really expect to care about the main story. My plan is to do a lot of exploring and side quests that I missed out on previous playthroughs.

I also finally grabbed Fallout 76 while it was on sale recently. I read it's very doable solo, and not needing to interact with people. Is it like Elite where I can join a "solo map" or is there a PVP flag I can disable? I'll give it a go after I'm done wandering around F4's map.

There's a PVP flag you can disable, and the map being pretty huge and there only being like, 12 people on the map, means you won't see anyone unless you're in a high traffic starter area, or actively choose to.

I think I got into PVP, outside of the deprecated dedicated PVP mode...once. In like five years. It's basically a single player game.

The only time I ever got into PVP was folks coming after me controlling the Fusion Core fabricator at the power plant or the Ammo factory.

And half the time it just turned into a "Hey, wanna just split stuff and team up to go do some quests instead of fighting?".

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Been putting in some time with FO3 now that TTW is working and ugh, I definitely remember the visuals being bland but even I don't remember them being this bland. Just... holy shit, this game has no visual appeal whatsoever. I turned my HUD blue just to put some fucking color in the game somewhere. Gonna look for some TTW-friendly mods to make the world something besides "shit brown" or "dull grey".

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I flipflopped and decided to switch to Fallout 76, I barely played FO4 an hour before hitting the "I've already done this" wall. From what I've read, they've done a lot of work on FO76 since release, and that I can just enable pacifist mode and not worry about getting ganked.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Been putting in some time with FO3 now that TTW is working and ugh, I definitely remember the visuals being bland but even I don't remember them being this bland. Just... holy shit, this game has no visual appeal whatsoever. I turned my HUD blue just to put some fucking color in the game somewhere. Gonna look for some TTW-friendly mods to make the world something besides "shit brown" or "dull grey".

You may enjoy https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2672

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yes, that.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don’t think I ever got attacked playing 76, and I have like 250 hours in it. I enjoyed my time with the game, it’s great if you really liked just exploring environments and the various monsters and such. I think it’s a cool world to explore, but it’s basically just for people who enjoyed that aspect, the exploring, shooting, looting stuff.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i never played 3 or new vegas. i got TTW working last night (with all the required mods and most of the recommended ones), except it was very stuttery (despite the recommended dxvk, anti-flicker etc). in frustration i deleted it all and then tried a vanilla new vegas install (except for dxvk). exact same issue. finally i thought to try a bunch of different display setting options. v-sync off, windowed, 1080p- and now it's running perfectly and smoothly.

makes me think TWW would work the same, if i set those options. but idk whether i'm willing to go through the whole installation again, especially as a novice mod user

harumph

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I wrestled with TTW for several hours before it worked but once it worked, performance was perfectly smooth and I didn't mess with any video settings. Did you do the additional essential mods like the 4GB enhancer? There's a few mods which don't run through Mod Organizer and you set up manually.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I *loathed* 76 on release but revisited it after the added NPCs and toned down survival stuff, and it was much more enjoyable to me. The map is fantastic, a lot of great areas to dig into. You'll still get a lot of 'event notification ' spam but it's pretty easy to ignore, and some of them are actually kinda fun as a once in a while thing

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Just finished the show. I fucking love Maximus, he’s such a flawed goober but he’ll go to war for people he cares about. Lucy and Cooper are both great characters as well. It’s just, as an awkward weirdo in real life, Max resonates with me on a fundamental level.

Also Xbox gamepass has all of the fallout games. I’m downloading 76 right now, just to see if it’s even remotely worth my time.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    I *loathed* 76 on release but revisited it after the added NPCs and toned down survival stuff, and it was much more enjoyable to me. The map is fantastic, a lot of great areas to dig into. You'll still get a lot of 'event notification ' spam but it's pretty easy to ignore, and some of them are actually kinda fun as a once in a while thing

I am the one person who enjoyed the 76 world more when there weren't NPC's in it, but I appreciate that makes me an outlier. There was something about scavenging in the ruins of a tragedy inside a tragedy, knowing that every story had a definite end. It seeped melancholy right into you.

I went back briefly after they put NPC's in and went through to the then end, and I've popped back on now a few years later to catch up on the plot. It's still fun, I can still run around solo, so that's nice. I need to figure out expeditions, daily ops, and the expansion areas though!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I wrestled with TTW for several hours before it worked but once it worked, performance was perfectly smooth and I didn't mess with any video settings. Did you do the additional essential mods like the 4GB enhancer? There's a few mods which don't run through Mod Organizer and you set up manually.

yeah, i did everything essential according to the official TTW setup guide. 7700x and a 7900xt.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I found that fallout 3 and NV don't like super high resolution, it would have all kinds of weirdness when you run at full res but seems to run fine at lower resolution. Also you can't tab out of it. Just a limitation of this ancient engine.

• Options
    Really glad I switched to F76. I’m enjoying the fresh, new setting. It’s pretty chill so far. I heard you can pretty much ignore the survival food/drink stuff? It helps but doesn’t hurt that much to not deal with it?

• Options
    Really glad I switched to F76. I’m enjoying the fresh, new setting. It’s pretty chill so far. I heard you can pretty much ignore the survival food/drink stuff? It helps but doesn’t hurt that much to not deal with it?

Correct

• Options
    Just found out I could have saved 8 bux and gotten Fallout 76 for free from Amazon Prime Gaming. Oh well.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    The thing that keeps stopping me from getting 76 is that I'm pretty sure there's no VATS. And I love VATS.

The idea of playing any Bethesda RPG as a shooter, without VATS, on a console just chills me.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »
    The thing that keeps stopping me from getting 76 is that I'm pretty sure there's no VATS. And I love VATS.

The idea of playing any Bethesda RPG as a shooter, without VATS, on a console just chills me.

There is absolutely VATS.

You need the Concentrated Fire perk to allow you to target specific body parts, but it's definitely there. Tweaked a little, mind,

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 21
    What.

(Looks it up.) That barely counts, and not enough for me lol

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    There’s no slow mo, but the vats system is still pretty decent. The shooting can get pretty fun if you’re into what it’s doing. Tho I feel like it’s a you like it or loathe it kind of thing

I still prefer slowmo vats of course, but for a multiplayer setting it’s a decent halfway point.

It mainly works as a kind of lock on system, like you can just instantly be aiming at an enemy which feels cool and helps prevent you from being overwhelmed or bum rushed since you can just instantly be aiming at enemies, and mow them down quickly

Prohass on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Okay I've decided to reinstall Fallout 4 for a mod-a-palooza and then give Fallout 76 a try. What's...what's the deal with Fallout 76? I have five minutes of playtime. When I launched the main screen was all obnoxious store page stuff.

What's a good up to date mod overview/guide for FO4 and what's a good beginner's guide to 76? Do I need to buy DLC to get the good stuff?

• Options
    Okay I've decided to reinstall Fallout 4 for a mod-a-palooza and then give Fallout 76 a try. What's...what's the deal with Fallout 76? I have five minutes of playtime. When I launched the main screen was all obnoxious store page stuff.

What's a good up to date mod overview/guide for FO4 and what's a good beginner's guide to 76? Do I need to buy DLC to get the good stuff?
    You might want to hold off on Fallout 4. The script extender tends to break every time they patch the game and a lot of mods need the script extender to work. You would end up with a broken game, unless you turn off updates. The new patch is dropping on the 25th.

• Options
    Good call. Chances are good by the 25th the urge to mod FO4 to death and play for five minutes will have passed anyway.

• Options
    I’m going to play after the new patch just to see all the new enclave gear.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I wonder how much money a year criminals spent on abraxo in the prewar fallout universe.

Shit would be more effective at disappearing dead bodies than acid ever was.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I dug out my PS3 and restarted New Vegas.

Whoof.... the FPS aspects of this one are rougher than I remember. I don't know if I'll make it...

• Options
    Oh god, why would you do that to yourself, my friend?

Fallout 3's PS3 version was the worst technical experience I ever had with a video game. I mean, you could feel it falling apart the longer you played. I can't imagine NV's PS3 fared much better.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Oh god, why would you do that to yourself, my friend?

Fallout 3's PS3 version was the worst technical experience I ever had with a video game. I mean, you could feel it falling apart the longer you played. I can't imagine NV's PS3 fared much better.

I've been playing for two days and while I agree that New Vegas had the best storyline.... I might be regretting my choice, yes.

• Options
    edited April 22

Well, last I checked Wabbajack was the best way to load up on graphical overhauls.
    just look up the installation guide and pick a curated modlist:
    https://www.wabbajack.org/gallery?selectedGame=Fallout 4
    You will need to buy a months worth of Nexus subscription though, unless you want to click 200 times on the slow download page.

Then load up on other mods, I highly recommend Sim Settlements
    https://youtu.be/MTSD7xZjm5Y?si=aKtcp3nISRhCgO6z

As mentioned though a big ol' update is getting pushed by Bethesda so all these mods could be fucked for a while. Big reason why some amazing projects are getting delayed.
    man there's a lot of cool shit on the horizon:
    https://youtu.be/bS-EQG0C1sM?si=wRPcmIF9RHuNf3U-

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Sim Settlements 2 is THE standout mod of Fallout 4.

It not only breathes genuine life and depth into the settlement system but it actually has a storyline to go with it about building the commonwealth back up and help making it feel alive again.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    As someone (else) who may finally, finally be starting FO4 soon - thank you, this is all good to know.

• Options
    Sim Settlement's quests are top notch. Good enough to be a real DLC if not better.
    It also caters to micro managers that let you do complete control of settlement or if you're like me it also just lets you appoint a settler as the settlement manager and they build everything for you.

• Options
    I'll be honest, Sim Settlements is a better designed thing than much of the game itself. It's one of the entries on the list of "really impressive mods of gaming history" I think without question.

The last time I did a Fallout mod-a-thon was like 2022 though and I'm sure half the shit I was using back then is even more broken now.

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    One tip about Sim Settlers is to make sure you put up your first recruiting beacon in a large settlement. The quest chain is based off the first beacon and having it in where there is a small building area makes it really tight to build.

• Options
    Holy shit, I'd completely scrubbed the awfulness of the DC subway system from my brain. It's all the same goddamn tunnel AND I JUST FUCKING WANT TO GET TO THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES. Let me go south! Why am I in the National Cemetery on the wrong side of the river?

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I've heard the subway system is much more manageable if you ignore quest markers and actually follow the subway signs and routes.