As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole taped conversation thing is pretty crazy. It did teach me that Canada is pretty weak in terms of anti-wiretapping laws. What she did should be straight-up illegal, but apparently it isn't here.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    10 years ago or on another earth I would probably have had a different opinion because I felt at least back then the crazy on the right was somewhat kept in check but it's now full bore everywhere and it's simply not worth the risk in this political climate to self sabotage.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Like, this isn't denying that other members of the party acted like idiots. The whole smear whisper campaign that happened against her at one point was incredibly stupid and childish. But her conduct has also been a bit bizarre, to say the least.
    Across the board, the way the Liberals have been conducting themselves for the past few months probably has the other parties watching and thinking, "Wait, are they actually ... huh".

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

You know, opening a cannabis store called the honey pot on april fools day...

Still 50% convinced this is going to end with the police just locking everyone inside.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole taped conversation thing is pretty crazy. It did teach me that Canada is pretty weak in terms of anti-wiretapping laws. What she did should be straight-up illegal, but apparently it isn't here.

"An individual may record a call as long as he or she is one of the participants of the call. The recording can be used as evidence in a lawsuit." There's a creepy local place called SPYTECH that used to be an antiunion thing, they'd video tape the strikers as intimidation. They moved on to spying and shit, busses have their signs on them and in big block capitals, "It's legal to record a call that you participate in." or similar.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Taping was a bit uh weird but her standing up for prosecution for a company even if the delayed thing was preferred it doesnt teach the company anything. Im just tired of companies doing immoral shit and they just get away with it because profit is all that matters in a captialist system.

The bank bailouts in 08, sears priortizing stock holders and investors over pensioners (crazy how little risk there is being a investor and you can demand infinite profit at the expense of the labourers its fucking gross!) GM got bailed out underminned the union by making it agree to no more full time union members as it attempts to replace them with "temp part time" which is happening in all industry. Oh and the production demands the union got? GM never follows them the current deal was till 2019 but uh oops theyre leaving before then!

I could go on about the liberals are fine with the status quo and the cons want to keep privitising everything as other industry is maxxed out social programs get privitised. My cousin has to pay for all his insulin and its probably not gonna get better! They might trial some social programs but under a captilist system they are doomed to fail because they by definition are social and arent supposed to turn a profit but well things are only allowed to exists if they make money.

Sorry im a bit displeased. Its also carbon tax day so many people are being babies

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    In this case, the company isn't 'getting away with it', even with a DPA.

The CEO that was in charge at the time is apparently serving time in Switzerland (Or Sweden?). Multiple executives are already charged.

Although one case was thrown out because it was taking too long.

But as far as I can tell, all the people that were doing the actual corruption are being individually charged. I'm not sure what charging the company accomplishes that a DPA doesn't.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's not the shareholders or executives who are going to suffer if SNC dies, it's the people who have to work for a living. Under a DPA, on the other hand, shareholders have to lose money. This is not one of those situations where just going"death to corruption" actually lead to punishment for the corrupts. It mostly lead to collateral damage, and a Conservative government. Collective punishment is not a good idea.

Giving SNC to Montréal would be a better solution than just destroying the whole thing. I'm certain Valerie Plante could find something to do with a major engineering company and its profits.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I've pointed out before that SNC-Lavalin has weathered, quite profitably even, being shut out of bidding for contracts before right? Despite every indication that they don't qualify for a DPA as the law is written that the Liberals set up, I really don't think all that many of their jobs are going anywhere given what happened with that company for the last 2 decades, they've had plenty of opportunities to change their ways or their name before this.

That's the weirdest thing to me through all this, Trudeau and his team didn't need to push for a DPA or any of the actions that followed in the intervening months at all. The juice has not been worth the squeeze.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    The company threatened to pull up stakes and relocate if they didn't get a DPA.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Recent poll on AB election is 46% UCP, 42% NDP. Worth remembering that polling Alberta is really fucking hard and a whole bunch of pollsters got it wrong last time.

More interesting is the breakdown. 56-28 in favour of the UCP for those with HS education or less. 57-34 in favour of the NDP for those with a university education.

One thing that hasn't gotten a ton of attention is how high the unemployment rate for folks without even a HS diploma is, the last I saw was somewhere north of 25%. Kenney offers easy lies about how he'll get them working (spoiler - his plan is mostly 'decrease corporate tax rate and then give companies money to sue for pipeline construction').

What's starting to get some traction is that the UCP want to turn back a law that had banked overtime at 1.5x, back to 1.0x. Shockingly, this has resulted in some pretty serious backlash from the blue collar people who rely on that banked overtime, particularly coupled with his tax cuts. The 'Kenney only cares about his rich friends' narrative that the NDP have been pushing is starting to get some traction.

Anyways. Alberta politics!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

You know, opening a cannabis store called the honey pot on april fools day...

Still 50% convinced this is going to end with the police just locking everyone inside.

Lol that place is right next to where I live. The lineup was around the block.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The CEO that was in charge at the time is apparently serving time in Switzerland (Or Sweden?). Multiple executives are already charged.

It was Switzerland, and he's out now (a plea-deal saw him sentenced to three years back in 2014, after being arrested in 2012).

An interesting note about that decision was that SNC-Lavalin was recognised as an injured party, and received 16 million in damages from him (Riadh Ben Aïssa).

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm dumb and drowsy.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    https://biv.com/article/2019/04/snc-lavalin-buys-trans-mountain-project-feds

Well I wonder what the likelihood of them leaving now is...

I'm pretty sure that's just an April Fool's joke...

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The company threatened to pull up stakes and relocate if they didn't get a DPA.

Of course they did companies lose nothing by threatening this

Captial has free movement labour doesnt its explotation

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Richy wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »
    https://biv.com/article/2019/04/snc-lavalin-buys-trans-mountain-project-feds

Well I wonder what the likelihood of them leaving now is...

I'm pretty sure that's just an April Fool's joke...

Wow lol this is what I get for posting stuff i find Tuesday morning.

finnith on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Anyways. Alberta politics!

My favorite image is this one of Jason Kenney shaking hands with the other ('kamikaze') UCP leadership candidate, who is, as far as I can see, also Jason Kenney:

callaway-and-kenney.jpg

(I'm in Greg Clark's riding (Alberta party, which is actually not as 'alberta!' as the name makes it sound) and it's fun to see that he's reusing the same signs from the previous campaign, just with "re-elect" stickers on the top. I guess they must have made too many last time)

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Thought you all might be interested in this tweet thread:

Essentially talking about the closeness of the vote for Newfoundland to join Canada in 1948, but how district breakdowns were far more polarized. I found it interesting to see how the more urban/developed portion of the province was in favour of responsible government, but the rest of the province (colloquially "the bay") was way more heavily in favour of joining Canada. Both the area my family is from, St. Barbe, and the area I grew up, Labrador, were very heavily pro-Canada.

Anyway, some interesting comments in that thread about the ethnic/religious divide as well.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    cjrApkJl.jpg

I despise the Toronto Sun, it is such a blight on Canadian journalism and political discourse as a whole.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    cjrApkJl.jpg

I despise the Toronto Sun, it is such a blight on Canadian journalism and political discourse as a whole.

Ask 10 Canadians what the carbon tax is and I would guess 8 x would have no idea.

If anything the Liberals have done a terrible job of educating the population on the how and why it was put in place.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Ask 10 Canadians what the carbon tax is and I would guess 8 x would have no idea.

If anything the Liberals have done a terrible job of educating the population on the how and why it was put in place.

Creating a new tax 6 months before an election is a terrible idea that will piss off moderates and the right.

Having your only real accomplishment in the fight against climate change in four years be creating a new tax 6 months before an election is a terrible accomplishment that will piss off the left.

Honestly I don't know who they were trying to please with this move. If they were deliberately trying to lose the election they couldn't pick a better plan.

sig.gif
  • Options

Creating a new tax 6 months before an election is a terrible idea that will piss off moderates and the right.

Having your only real accomplishment in the fight against climate change in four years be creating a new tax 6 months before an election is a terrible accomplishment that will piss off the left.

Honestly I don't know who they were trying to please with this move. If they were deliberately trying to lose the election they couldn't pick a better plan.

That does seem to be their strategy lately, yeah....

• Options

Yeah it's unfortunately pretty easy to churn out anecdote-based political ads (anecvertisements?) that paint the tax as unfairly hurting the little guy or whatever.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Well now, this is pretty fucking bad. Turns out Canada is warming at twice the global rate.

Neil MacDonald thinks that we should be more concerned about us all choking to death on wildfire smoke than wringing our hands about SNC-Lavalin, and he's not wrong.

This shit infuriates and terrifies me in equal measure. We are in an election year and the (sadly) only realistic hope of fighting against this existential threat is being held up by what amounts to a temper tantrum over a cabinet shuffle. Alberta is on the verge of electing a government who will deny that anything is happening as smoke from wildfires in my province darkens the skies in theirs. Environment Canada has issued an air quality warning every day for at least the last two or three weeks where I live. Last summer, on August 17, the smoke was so bad that it was dark out at 9 in the morning. This is what it looked like from a balcony on the building where I work:

msO5Ltj.png

I should add that this wasn't that bad of a day, strictly speaking. There were days where I couldn't see the hill in the background of that photo, and it's probably only 4kms away from my office window. Hell, there was at least one day where I couldn't see the details of the building in the right of the photo, and it's only a block away. The smoke was coming from a wildfire about 250kms away from where I live.

Folks, I am really scared. Why is it so difficult for us to realize that we cannot live this way forever and we needed to start making changes about forty years ago? Why is it that so many people refuse to believe the evidence that their own eyes are providing to them? Instead of realizing that trouble's a-brewin', they talk about what a mild winter we had, or what a warm summer it's been. WE'VE HAD A MILD WINTER BECAUSE THE FUCKING PLANET IS WARMING UP, YOU MORONS. I had to buy a respirator last year to use on days when I rode my bike to work because I was having trouble catching my breath otherwise due to the smoke in the air.

Is it bad that when I think of the next Avengers movie I feel like they shouldn't do anything to stop Thanos? Objectively speaking, what he did would actually be a net good to the universe. We could certainly use a thinning of the herd to give Earth some breathing room.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    People, as a group, rarely want to do anything. Most changes just kinda happen rather then being planned. Mass mobilization is very rare.

The simple fact is that things-that-cause-climate-change are externalities and so basically aren't taken into account by anything humans do. So the only way to stop it is to actively consciously fight it. And groups of people are very very very bad at that kind of a thing.

shryke on
  • Options
    Famine/War/Mass casualties is what will get people to change and only then when it hits their doorstep. Same as every other crisis in human history.

• Options
    Well now, this is pretty fucking bad. Turns out Canada is warming at twice the global rate.

Neil MacDonald thinks that we should be more concerned about us all choking to death on wildfire smoke than wringing our hands about SNC-Lavalin, and he's not wrong.

This shit infuriates and terrifies me in equal measure. We are in an election year and the (sadly) only realistic hope of fighting against this existential threat is being held up by what amounts to a temper tantrum over a cabinet shuffle. Alberta is on the verge of electing a government who will deny that anything is happening as smoke from wildfires in my province darkens the skies in theirs. Environment Canada has issued an air quality warning every day for at least the last two or three weeks where I live. Last summer, on August 17, the smoke was so bad that it was dark out at 9 in the morning. This is what it looked like from a balcony on the building where I work:

msO5Ltj.png

I should add that this wasn't that bad of a day, strictly speaking. There were days where I couldn't see the hill in the background of that photo, and it's probably only 4kms away from my office window. Hell, there was at least one day where I couldn't see the details of the building in the right of the photo, and it's only a block away. The smoke was coming from a wildfire about 250kms away from where I live.

Folks, I am really scared. Why is it so difficult for us to realize that we cannot live this way forever and we needed to start making changes about forty years ago? Why is it that so many people refuse to believe the evidence that their own eyes are providing to them? Instead of realizing that trouble's a-brewin', they talk about what a mild winter we had, or what a warm summer it's been. WE'VE HAD A MILD WINTER BECAUSE THE FUCKING PLANET IS WARMING UP, YOU MORONS. I had to buy a respirator last year to use on days when I rode my bike to work because I was having trouble catching my breath otherwise due to the smoke in the air.

Is it bad that when I think of the next Avengers movie I feel like they shouldn't do anything to stop Thanos? Objectively speaking, what he did would actually be a net good to the universe. We could certainly use a thinning of the herd to give Earth some breathing room.

It's cool that you work on Mars apparently ....... /S

The wildfires last year were insane. My bosses daughter has severe lung issues and pretty much lived at the children's hospital for three months.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Famine/War/Mass casualties is what will get people to change and only then when it hits their doorstep. Same as every other crisis in human history.

People will only change if they are convinced that they won't be the winner of the resources wars.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Not surprising, I have a feeling that this won't end the story.

Chances on moving to the Cons or NDP?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Not surprising, I have a feeling that this won't end the story.

Chances on moving to the Cons or NDP?

Maybe NDP or independent. No way she moves to con's.

• Options
    Maybe the Greens?

• Options
    Trudeau going hard on the recording of the phone call being a big issue.

This whole thing pisses me off and I am anxious as to how they pull out a win in the next election :(

• Options
    oooooooooooooooooooof. JWR/Philpott being ejected is one of those inevitable events that you nonetheless are pained to see. No way this turns out well for the Libs in the coming election, as the issue has been blown to bits in the media (social and traditional both).

If Jagmeet Singh is smart he'll try and recruit them. They'll probably end up taking up influential positions in the NDP if so,.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Trudeau going hard on the recording of the phone call being a big issue.

This whole thing pisses me off and I am anxious as to how they pull out a win in the next election :(

"Trudeau or Scheer, your choice"

... I mean, I don't know, either. I figured the average case would be Liberal minority as the memories of Harper fade and the ABC's drift back. Keeping a majority probably requires a pretty hefty scandal from another party or two.

• Options
    They're political liabilities. I'm not sure anyone is gonna be recruiting too hard.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    They're political liabilities. I'm not sure anyone is gonna be recruiting too hard.

Singh will try. Might not publicize it, might not succeed, but he needs something major to change. Mulcair got 19% in the election and the NDP are polling below that.

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

Singh will try. Might not publicize it, might not succeed, but he needs something major to change. Mulcair got 19% in the election and the NDP are polling below that.

Even so, "Lit my own party on fire from the inside" isn't exactly great on a resume.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

"I'm curious about what being backstabbed feels like. Welcome aboard!"

This discussion has been closed.