As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Senior Kindergarten, is what I'd imagine. I don't know if every province offers Junior and Senior Kindergarten, but Ontario does.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    We had preschool then kindergarten and it was good enough for us!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    My stay-at-home wife works very closely with our kids' school and is actually quite close with the support staff, certain teachers, the librarians and even the principal. School council and all that. My kids are in SK and Gr3, but even the grade 8's recognize my wife from her various volunteer efforts in the school. Which is to say that we're pretty close to the strike action. Our admin ladies are wonderful people who often go the extra mile. However they make only $16.50/hr. These women, as well as the angels who are the kindergarten ECE's, deserve to be treated better. I don't know fully what their beef is... but they should at least get some consideration, as opposed to vitriol they were getting on right leaning talk radio this morning. Its like these callers don't even know what and who are striking. They see CUPE and go red. They hear schools and think "overpaid teachers with 4 month vacations!".... sheesh.

I can't really defend the custodians though, because in my experience the boys washroom in my kids school is absolutely disgusting, they don't clean the hallways and instead of de-icing the entire tarmac, there is just a path from the parking lot to the doors in the winter. And the kids are just forbidden from playing on the icy tarmac, but shunted into the ice covered snow in the fields instead. So, you know.... fuck those guys. :)

"News" talk radio is gross. When you say your kids are in SK and Grade 3, do you mean Saskatchewan?

No, sorry. Ontario. SK means Senior Kindergarten. I sometimes forget that other provinces don't have a junior and senior kindergarten.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    My stay-at-home wife works very closely with our kids' school and is actually quite close with the support staff, certain teachers, the librarians and even the principal. School council and all that. My kids are in SK and Gr3, but even the grade 8's recognize my wife from her various volunteer efforts in the school. Which is to say that we're pretty close to the strike action. Our admin ladies are wonderful people who often go the extra mile. However they make only $16.50/hr. These women, as well as the angels who are the kindergarten ECE's, deserve to be treated better. I don't know fully what their beef is... but they should at least get some consideration, as opposed to vitriol they were getting on right leaning talk radio this morning. Its like these callers don't even know what and who are striking. They see CUPE and go red. They hear schools and think "overpaid teachers with 4 month vacations!".... sheesh.

I can't really defend the custodians though, because in my experience the boys washroom in my kids school is absolutely disgusting, they don't clean the hallways and instead of de-icing the entire tarmac, there is just a path from the parking lot to the doors in the winter. And the kids are just forbidden from playing on the icy tarmac, but shunted into the ice covered snow in the fields instead. So, you know.... fuck those guys. :)

"News" talk radio is gross. When you say your kids are in SK and Grade 3, do you mean Saskatchewan?

No, sorry. Ontario. SK means Senior Kindergarten. I sometimes forget that other provinces don't have a junior and senior kindergarten.

Yeah, my girl is in SK right now, but when I was growing up, it was called "Pre-Kindergarten" and "Kindergarten". Weird.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    FFS

I have to say, it is very impressive the way Singh deals with this sort of bullshit.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I continue to be impressed by how much better a person Singh is in those kinds of situations than I would be. As well as obviously very disappointed that these situations are happening in the first place, and depressed by how unsurprised I am at this point.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    The People's Party candidate in the riding of West Nova has stepped down, citing that he was shocked, SHOCKED, to find that there was gambling in this establishment racism and hate in the party. You know, the party that was literally founded on anti-immigrant sentiment.
    Link

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    FFS

I have to say, it is very impressive the way Singh deals with this sort of bullshit.

Jesus. Put that old bastard in jail for a night.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    FFS

He stayed wayyyyyy calmer than I would have.

I like Sigh the most of all leaders .... His party not so much.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The whole "I'm gonna pull you super close to say something really mean and insulting right into your ear while looking like I'm friendly" is such a Quebecois thing. When I worked in tourism so many Quebecers would do this to me in order to reprimand me and my mastery of french.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    It's a "let me give you a little advice" kind of gesture while insulting or belittling you, but doing it as a favor to you on how you should change your ways.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The People's Party candidate in the riding of West Nova has stepped down, citing that he was shocked, SHOCKED, to find that there was gambling in this establishment racism and hate in the party. You know, the party that was literally founded on anti-immigrant sentiment.
    Link

Note this is a few weeks after the PPC ejected someone else from their party for saying white supremacists are bad.

That said one of the other candidates here is still a full-bore Qanon cultist, so they can still have a shot at stinking up the province!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Which is Bernier's riding? Any hope that he won't win his seat?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    His riding is called Beauce and its a toss up between the PPC and the Conservatives.

http://338canada.com/districts/24007e.htm

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Singh consistently shows that he's a good person.
    If the ndp lose as bad as it seems (due to cpc fears and green surge) I hope he will not be scapegoated.

He's got something and I think the party as a whole has failed to generate the groundswell of support and yeah, some of that is on him but some is not.

I think he has a unique opportunity to stand out as a level headed alternative in the debates but will the message work on people and are they willing to take a chance?

I think they aren't (I am not) but I'd like to see him continue on in the future.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    FFS

He stayed wayyyyyy calmer than I would have.

I like Sigh the most of all leaders .... His party not so much.

Sadly, I imagine Singh has had a lot of practice keeping his cool in exactly this situation.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    He really needs to borrow Obama's Anger Translator.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I would love to see Singh become Prime Minister. He's the only party leader who (as far as I can recall) hasn't done something irredeemably stupid in the last couple years or isn't already a crackpot.

The best thing about him being PM would be all of the right's heads exploding at once at the announcement.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

I'm an elementary school teacher in one of the major GTA boards. I don't know the full details of the CUPE's bargaining, but the pay is really low (EA's, CYW's, and ECE's make an average of $38,000 per year) the working conditions are tough. These staff routinely work with the most challenging students, which is very exhausting and demoralizing. Imagine going to work every day and getting spit on, kicked/punched, bitten, screamed at and cussed out.

I bet that CUPE wants more money for more staffing, which is better for the kids and also will reduce burnout. Wouldn't surprise me if the government wants to cut their sick days as well.

• Options
    Desmond Cole asks some very good questions here in this three tweet thread...

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So tonight is the TVA French debate, between Trudeau, Singh, Scheer and Blanchet.

I just turned it on. Got in in the middle of a question between Scheer and Blanchet on abortion, with Scheer very uncomfortably saying that the Cons wouldn't reopen the debate. He looked like a five year old with ice cream all over his face saying "no I didn't eat any". I don't think (I hope) no one believed him.

Next question is on the right-to-die between Trudeau and Singh. Or between someone who is in favour of increasing access to our right to die and someone who is in favour of increasing access to our the right to die even more. Perhaps the less interesting pair to have that debate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Now the four-way debate, and Trudeau opens by asking Scheer if he's personally in favour of a woman's right to choose. He dodges and dodges and dodges. Singh piles on, and Scheer deflects on the right to die. Scheer goes back to abortion, Scheer deflects again. Now Blanchet goes back to the right to die, and asks which leaders will respect or appeal the decision by the courts that the right-to-die law is too restrictive. Singh and Trudeau immediately respond they will respect the ruling, Scheer says he'll appeal.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Now a question about Bill 21.

I've got to say, this is a debate with actually interesting questions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Scheer said he's the only one who can defend Québec's interests in Ottawa. Someone, I'm pretty sure it's Blanchet, scoffed.

Now a question about illegal immigrants coming from the USA.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Now a question about weed legalization. Trudeau asks Scheer if he'll reverse the law, Scheer dodges, the moderator asks him the question again directly.

I like this moderator. He's keeping people in line.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh my god.

Scheer: "Mr. Blanchet, only by voting Conservative can Québec MPs sit at the table and stand up for Québec."
    Blanchet: "Mr. Scheer, let's be clear, if not being part of the government makes an MP useless, then you've been useless for the past four years."
    burn!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Scheer: "If Canada stopped polluting completely tomorrow, China would replace our pollution in three weeks."
    Blanchet: "So because others pollute, let's pollute more."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh, Singh wants to rectify the injustice of Québec not signing the constitution. He's in a face-off with Scheer.

Singh: "Will you rectify this injustice? Yes or no."
    Scheer: "I will stand up for provincial rights."
    Singh: "So you won't build a pipeline in Québec against their will? Yes or no."
    Scheer: "The pipeline is win-win."

Man, Singh is owning Scheer here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Scheer and Singh double-teaming to say the new NAFTA deal is a failure by Trudeau. Trudeau is not holding his own here. I wish he was stronger in defending himself.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Scheer: "The respect of First Nations is the respect of First Nations that want to get involved in large energy projects."

I hope someone calls him on this in the exchanges.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Thanks Richy for all of these, I mostly missed the debate, you summary is quite useful.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Scheer: "The respect of First Nations is the respect of First Nations that want to get involved in large energy projects."

Even for the Conservatives, holy fuck.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

Even for the Conservatives, holy fuck.

With my horrible, 20-years-out-of-school French:

"Collaborateurs seulement, s'il vous plait."

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    FFS

Man that sits atop the pile of videos that end too soon. I want to know what was followed up by "You know you should...". I know it's going to probably be some racist cunty bullshit, but lets leave the old twat bare for all he's worth.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    FFS

Man that sits atop the pile of videos that end too soon. I want to know what was followed up by "You know you should...". I know it's going to probably be some racist cunty bullshit, but lets leave the old twat bare for all he's worth.

Did you not watch all 26 seconds of it? That cunty racist twat did bare himself for all he's worth.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    The stupid thing is that he told Singh that he hopes Singh wins at the end of the exchange.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    In other news about racism in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/dorothy-marston-bernier-protest-mohawk-1.5305661

Support a fascist, get called a fascist, even if you’re eighty and in a scooter.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Even with Bernier being a trash fire of a human being this is the most racist thing I have ever seen from a political party in canada.

For those monolingual among us

"Choose to vote for men and women who resemble you, who share your values , who listen to your concerns, who's working for your interests , for Quebec's interest and only Quebec's interests. "

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    In other news about racism in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/dorothy-marston-bernier-protest-mohawk-1.5305661

Support a fascist, get called a fascist, even if you’re eighty and in a scooter.

The lack of self awareness that person exhibits in that article is astounding.
    I'm also not exactly thrilled about the CBC writing a big sympathetic article about a bigot.

This discussion has been closed.