As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Supergiant is 1 for 3 for me so I don't think i'll risk trying Hades even if I would end up liking it. I have no way of knowing anymore. People liked Transistor and Pyre a lot but I couldn't stand them and I just can't figure out why specifically.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    i loved bastion, hated transistor and thought pyre was.... fffine but not great

will probably try hades for free at least

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Hades plays considerably more like Bastion than their previous games

It's like... the combat of Bastion with the storytelling of Transistor and the character building of Pyre

it is.... real good

also I don't believe it's free? it's 20bux on the Epic Games store (which honestly is a p solid price for one of their games)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It was only free on accident, it's supposed to be $20

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    oh

nevermind then

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Also I take no pleasure in being right about Far cry, but I'm not surprised I was

• Options
    If you liked Bastion, and don't mind some-what rogue-like style games, then I'd say you'll likely enjoy Hades

getting it in early access is defs not for everyone though

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Bethesda is skipping Steam for Rage 2, sounds like

I must admit it’s a bold move considering they just had a massive data leak involving their launcher

I imagine DOOM Eternal is next

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    the art and color choices in pretty much every supergiant games are enough to carry me past most gameplay flaws

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    At this point I wish games would stop being early access for the purely selfish reason of I get really curious to try them out but also know that if I play them a bunch in EA I'll have lost interest and moved on by the time they actually come out, robbing myself of the full experience.

Don't give me the option, I can't handle it!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I wish I could buy a massive wall scroll of a Jen Zee painting

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »

I must admit it’s a bold move considering they just had a massive data leak involving their launcher

okay who's making a game launcher launcher that will just let me have one place to access all my games from

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »

okay who's making a game launcher launcher that will just let me have one place to access all my games from

this is what Discord is trying to do, isn't it?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    nationalise steam

• Options
    does the discord thing do that? I don't use the service but I might check it out if it does a decent job

it almost seems like Windows should have a better built in way of doing this

• Options
    The gameplay is why I hated Transistor but the story didn't do it any favors either.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You can import all your games into the Discord launcher, but it still needs to go through your other launchers to actually run the game.

But as long as you have those launchers running anyway, it's a place to have all your games on one list that you can run them from.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    HADES IS SO GOOD, GOD DAMN

all of the writing is very good, hades is such a good dick of a character, and he's the version from greek myth where he's just like a petty, petulant administrator. it's so good.

you get bonuses from other gods, and some rooms you have to choose between two gods' boons. Whichever you choose, the other god is pissed and sends enemies at you.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    also Zagreus talks with irritation about probably meeting a "Meg" at some point

and then I met her

and I see why he was irritated, and it was great

I'm just genuinely shocked at how many times I would die, go back home, chat with my friends and then head back out and discover new little things in the world, or story, or mechanics

the game just kept offering me new things at every turn and I love it

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You can import all your games into the Discord launcher, but it still needs to go through your other launchers to actually run the game.

But as long as you have those launchers running anyway, it's a place to have all your games on one list that you can run them from.

That's always going to be the case though. You can't run a Steam game without Steam--that's the entire point of having the platform in the first place.

It's like Trillian still had to go through whatever IM api you were using, so if you had your Skype connected to Trillian it was still launching a Skype app for the actual messaging. We will probably never have a launcher that lets you play Steam games without going through the Steam client

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    does the discord thing do that? I don't use the service but I might check it out if it does a decent job

it almost seems like Windows should have a better built in way of doing this

There was the games folder in Vista and 7. There was some games it would autodetect and games could add themselves to it.

I think it was mostly ignored, which is why it was removed in Windows 10.

• Options
    At this point I wish games would stop being early access for the purely selfish reason of I get really curious to try them out but also know that if I play them a bunch in EA I'll have lost interest and moved on by the time they actually come out, robbing myself of the full experience.

Don't give me the option, I can't handle it!

I think the only EA game to truly work out for me was Subnautica

when I played it in EA it was just to explore this gorgeous underwater environment and mess around and get scared by big monsters

then on release I played it to do all the story stuff and proper goal-based exploration and enjoyed it for different reasons

was pretty great

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

That's always going to be the case though. You can't run a Steam game without Steam--that's the entire point of having the platform in the first place.

It's like Trillian still had to go through whatever IM api you were using, so if you had your Skype connected to Trillian it was still launching a Skype app for the actual messaging. We will probably never have a launcher that lets you play Steam games without going through the Steam client

There's actually a number of games where you can just launch the exe without Steam running. It's up to each game developer whether they want to use Steam as DRM.

I'd imagine there are people who have compiled a list of these.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

There's actually a number of games where you can just launch the exe without Steam running. It's up to each game developer whether they want to use Steam as DRM.

I'd imagine there are people who have compiled a list of these.

Well sure, but those are exceptions. Games that are tied to the Steam launcher are probably always going to have to invoke the Steam launcher to run properly.

A unified front-end for that is still very good because you don't gotta sort through multiple interfaces/lists (I really want a clean app that does this for streaming video services too) but you're still gonna need those backends in most cases.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    All of Supergiant’s games are very good in their own way.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/VxeSZ-M8ThU
    For some reason Beholder 2 doesn't seem to have any professional reviews, even though the first one was fairly successful as far as I could tell. I didn't play it, but the sequel is pretty good. The stylized 3D graphics, menacing music, and Slavic inflected Simlish the characters speak create an engaging world, although the grim humor of a Soviet dystopia feels a little misplaced when the authoritarian surveillance state we are barreling towards looks very different. As the trailer shows, your actual job is paperwork (without a time limit because this is more relaxed than Arstotzka), but the majority of the gameplay is point and click RPG where you try to get money and influence to pay your bills and move up the ladder. My main complaint would be that the game systems are not always well explained. Breaking into people's offices and hacking their computers is totally fine, but the security guards magically know if you took any of your coworkers' stuff and on my second day at work I got sent to million years gulag for stealing pens because I couldn't pay the fine...

• Options
    @Tcheldor @Aistan

have you guys finished crosscode?

I just got past the first two parts of the wave/lightning temples

and that was... trying

and then a steam cloud save snafu ended up setting me back to the beginning of the jungle area

how close am I to the end of the game? I'm really struggling to get myself through these dungeons, they go on forever

should I just watch a LP that lets me see the end of the story?

• Options
    Gaia's Garden is chapter 8 I think? It's easily the longest chapter in the game since the jungle is huge and there's two temples. There's 10 chapters total though so you're almost done.

You could bump down the difficulty settings if you're not enjoying yourself, but you should absolutely see the story to the end in whatever capacity you are able to.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

We need for Steam and stuff what Gaim/Pidgin was for AIM/MSN.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The person fired from GOG now works for a right winger Youtuber.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/gog-transphobic-tweet-gamergate-website/
    Two months after GOG community manager Sean Halliday tweeted a transphobic joke belittling a trans rights hashtag, Halliday revealed that he was fired by the company, according to a new profile from Eurogamer. However, Eurogamer’s report fails to mention that Halliday is working with Jeremy “TheQuartering” Hambly, a right-wing YouTuber, on a new website focused on “all games, no politics.”

For Magic the Gathering players, Hambly’s name is notorious. The YouTuber received a lifetime ban from Magic’s Wizards of the Coast after reportedly harassing cosplayer Christine Sprankle. These days, Hambly creates YouTube videos complaining about “SJW RAGE” and why “incels did nothing wrong.” He also created a gaming website called “Exclusively Games,” dedicated entirely to “fans of gaming who are sick of politics forcing its way inside.”

“I don’t want any infection from politics or modern day ‘journalism’ which is of course just activism parading as games journalism,” the site’s Indiegogo reads. “I got sick and tired of reading the same BS ‘Hot Takes’ from our existing options in terms of ‘video game news’ websites and rather than just complain I have undertaken doing something about it myself.”

Hambly revealed in November that he planned to offer a job to Halliday, letting him “join my team, to help Discord, my social stuff, and work on managing a new community I am working on.” Apparently, that job has now come to fruition. After Eurogamer published its profile on Halliday, Hambly revealed that the former GOG employee is now Exclusively Games’ community manager.

[...]

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Outerworld developer said their isn't npc romance options because it usually just ends in a minigame that people meta the fuck out of regardless of rp.

Huzzah!
    But I inevitably want to be lesbians with one of the women!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Two months after GOG community manager Sean Halliday tweeted a transphobic joke belittling a trans rights hashtag, Halliday revealed that he was fired by the company, according to a new profile from Eurogamer. However, Eurogamer’s report fails to mention that Halliday is working with Jeremy “TheQuartering” Hambly, a right-wing YouTuber, on a new website focused on “all games, no politics.”

For Magic the Gathering players, Hambly’s name is notorious. The YouTuber received a lifetime ban from Magic’s Wizards of the Coast after reportedly harassing cosplayer Christine Sprankle. These days, Hambly creates YouTube videos complaining about “SJW RAGE” and why “incels did nothing wrong.” He also created a gaming website called “Exclusively Games,” dedicated entirely to “fans of gaming who are sick of politics forcing its way inside.”

“I don’t want any infection from politics or modern day ‘journalism’ which is of course just activism parading as games journalism,” the site’s Indiegogo reads. “I got sick and tired of reading the same BS ‘Hot Takes’ from our existing options in terms of ‘video game news’ websites and rather than just complain I have undertaken doing something about it myself.”

Hambly revealed in November that he planned to offer a job to Halliday, letting him “join my team, to help Discord, my social stuff, and work on managing a new community I am working on.” Apparently, that job has now come to fruition. After Eurogamer published its profile on Halliday, Hambly revealed that the former GOG employee is now Exclusively Games’ community manager.

[...]

They sound perfect for each other. May they waste away in obscurity together.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bastion is one of my favorite games ever and I liked Transistor quite a bit. I never did get around to Pyre though

So yeah, I'm all in on Hades

Bucketman on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Pretty much figured that at the dog whistle "no politics"

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    One of the notable things about the alt-right as a whole is that when people fuck up like this, they're perfectly willing to play wormtongue and say "all is forgiven, come onto our side where we'll tell you that you weren't wrong in the first place" and, in cases like this, provide the guy with employment that he presumably direly needs.

It's insidious and I'm not sure what can really be done about it, but it's a very effective tactic and I think the left as a group needs to be aware of the power of saying "you fucked up, but are forgiven", because the right are perfectly willing to weaponise this kind of performative magnanimity. I don't think it's exactly a huge loss, in this case. Oh no, another person who was essentially a gamer gate guy has gone completely over rather than giving lip service to centrism.

And at the same time, you know, people shouldn't give this guy a job, because he's bad at it. If my role here were "give this guy a job" I'd have to respond with "but there are lots of people who don't have proven track records of fucking up who I could also give this job to"

Tube on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

[...]

Fuuuuuck hiiiiiimmmm

here's the last little bit of benefit of the doubt he had

it's gone, poof

sig.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    @Tcheldor @Aistan

and that was... trying

and then a steam cloud save snafu ended up setting me back to the beginning of the jungle area

how close am I to the end of the game? I'm really struggling to get myself through these dungeons, they go on forever

Yea. I speed run the game so I’ve finished it a bunch of times. After Wave and shock temples you have 2 more dungeons and one more area. You’re pretty close.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I guess video games got the rough equivalent of wingnut welfare too.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

and that was... trying

Yea. I speed run the game so I’ve finished it a bunch of times. After Wave and shock temples you have 2 more dungeons and one more area. You’re pretty close.
    There's actually a speedrun strategy to skip like half of the wave and lightning temples, so if you don't want to replay all of those temples you could do that.

• Options
    The most credit I could give to him would be to say that he could legitimately be so stupid that he thinks that insulting "SJWs" and "the alt-right" is actually the same thing.

Boy the normalisation of fascist beliefs really worked didn't it

This discussion has been closed.