As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    A fun game I'm doing with the Castlevania block is to start a game at the same time the runners do, if you own it, and see how far you can get into it by the time they call time.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    aria of sorrow is maybe my favorite castlevania

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I approve of the Castlevania Chronicles rendition of Simon Belmont.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Barkerville, visit Barkerville, yes it's Barkerville, visit Barker-ville,

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That song just now, it took me a sec but it's used in Order of Ecclesia. I didn't know that was a remix, I thought it was original to OoE.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Ninja maids in the Netflix series please

sig.gif
  • Options
    time for the best og castlevania

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    time for the best og castlevania

The run opens with 5 minutes of grinding.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    A fun game I'm doing with the Castlevania block is to start a game at the same time the runners do, if you own it, and see how far you can get into it by the time they call time.

What I like to do is look up the runner's PB and the world record and note where the run is when they get past those times.

sig.gif
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    its all over the speedrun subreddit

e: there's some drama about keizaron hosting since allegedly he's a super abusive manipulative person

(shirt rip guy)
    can you point me at this? i'm unfamiliar with the community, so the only stuff i'm finding is some shade/rivalry towards Gunner & maybe some petty bullshit of recategorizing runs to subvert WR.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    This whole Arby's thing is a little much.

And I mean, granted, I live in a country with no Arby's so this is completely lost advertising dollars to my eyes but even still

sig.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

And I mean, granted, I live in a country with no Arby's so this is completely lost advertising dollars to my eyes but even still

The stuff they make is really cool. I'm not sure I understand the connection with the restaurant, though...?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Arby's decided a year or two ago that they were really gonna lean hard into advertising to gamers and started tweeting little papercraft things related to videogames all the time. To the point where I know Arby's for three things: they make sandwiches, nihilism, and gamer papercraft.

It's just a really weird PR strategy and I wonder how much it's doing for them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Holy shit good skips

sig.gif
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

The stuff they make is really cool. I'm not sure I understand the connection with the restaurant, though...?

https://www.facebook.com/arbys/videos/you-thought-it-was-an-ordinary-roast-beef-sandwich/10154799396646812/

sometimes brands can be ok

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It looks like Arbys just hired a couple papercrafters. Yeah, it's corporate, but it is kind of cute.

As is Spike being identified as Spike "Urban Yeti" Vegeta.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Whoever donated only the Donkey part of the DK Rap is a coward.

sig.gif
  • Options
    it's time for naruto's idiotic adventure

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    $73k donation from The Yetee.

• Options
    yetee just donated 73k

• Options
    that's proceeds from shirt sales so far I guess, damn that's a lot of shirts at $4 donated per shirt

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Looks like the specific number was chosen so that their cumulative donations to GDQ over the years would hit $1million

• Options
    there are some good t-shirt designs I like this year but they are all black shirts, and all black shirts feel like they are soaked in sweat from the moment I put them on for some bizarre reason.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    that's proceeds from shirt sales so far I guess, damn that's a lot of shirts at $4 donated per shirt

They tend to break up their sales into 10k chunks and donate it throughout the marathon, in order to help balance out bid wars and bring in bonus runs. I have no clue how much they usually get a year, but 1 mil lifetime is really, really good.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Oh my GOD I love kungfufruitcup's hair!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    its all over the speedrun subreddit

e: there's some drama about keizaron hosting since allegedly he's a super abusive manipulative person

(shirt rip guy)
    can you point me at this? i'm unfamiliar with the community, so the only stuff i'm finding is some shade/rivalry towards Gunner & maybe some petty bullshit of recategorizing runs to subvert WR.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878907&pagenumber=2#post491339863

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Arby's decided a year or two ago that they were really gonna lean hard into advertising to gamers and started tweeting little papercraft things related to videogames all the time. To the point where I know Arby's for three things: they make sandwiches, nihilism, and gamer papercraft.

It's just a really weird PR strategy and I wonder how much it's doing for them.

Some of the Arby’s papercraft people did a talk at MomoCon this year. The ad studio had some nerds on staff who wanted to make a one-off Zelda reference in an ad, and they got stakeholder approval, and then the ad exploded way beyond anyone’s expectations. So they made another one, and that was also super popular...

One of the people on the panel mentioned that one of the best parts was that they were slowly introducing Arby’s ad stakeholders to all sorts of video games and anime through these ad pitches, and the stakeholders were starting to investigate things on their own and nerding out when they saw papercraft of things they liked.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Edobean just tweeted out a status update on her arrival. Her flight was delayed which caused her to miss the connecting flight to get her to GDQ. :(

• Options
    Um, so the Octoling expansion for Splatoon 2 was just a bunch of levels in the style of the Metal Gear Solid training things? That's pretty fucking lame.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Um, so the Octoling expansion for Splatoon 2 was just a bunch of levels in the style of the Metal Gear Solid training things? That's pretty fucking lame.

that's also what the normal Splatoon single player is

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The ending is more just MGS2 Arsenal Gear than anything.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I had no idea what Flossing was outside of dental context.

Holy crap this is hilarious

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That was a fun run to watch though, good commentary. And lol flossing donations with a physics pop quiz.

Also I wasn't aware that the Killer Wail was actually a megaphone for a booyah. Or... maybe it's just Pearl.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Another thing, google and install the better GDQ chrome extension, you can go to the schedule page and it'll link all the VODs there

Goose! on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    That flossing dude was PRETTY GREAT

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I didn't play the Octo expansion so I had no idea the ending got so crazy, lol
    All the callbacks to multiplayer are really cute.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Oh wow those Floss donations brought in over 6000$

Wowiezowie.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    there's a stock sound effect in RE that is bothering me and I can't place it

i want to say it's the UI button click from X-Com but I can't be certain

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That was a fun run to watch though, good commentary. And lol flossing donations with a physics pop quiz.

Also I wasn't aware that the Killer Wail was actually a megaphone for a booyah. Or... maybe it's just Pearl.

That's what it is.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i might have to watch this RE run on vod... in past years the late night RE runs have been so low energy that it's almost literally ResidentSleeper but this one sounds pretty good so far