As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That sounds like way too much work, don't worry I can take it off your hands!

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I was thinking about getting something like a used 2016-2018 Rav4 Hybrid or CX-5 last year due to adding a member to our family. I put some prices in a spreadsheet in July and again in September, and January. Supply was a little light in January but still pretty normal then. I just looked up prices to compare, with the current craziness and el oh el. If you bought one of the aforementioned last summer, it appreciated 25-30+%!! The Rav4s I'm seeing now are listing, used with 20-40k miles, over original MSRP!

Unless I wrote the MSRP down wrong it was $32.3k for these Rav4 Hybrids in Limited spec. Last summer they were $24-28k with 30-50k miles and today:
    $27,950 2017 Limited 83239
    $32,995 2017 Limited 24766
    $30,995 2017 Limited 38179
    $37,002 2018 Limited 24594
    $32,998 2017 Limited 20443

I have less numbers on the CX-5 but say for a 2017 with ~40k miles they went from $20k to $25k, and lower mileage are $29-30k. Original MSRP, $29,000.

I've read all about the silliness of the used car market and what's driving it and so on, but somehow this comparison is blowing my mind in a way nothing else had. So bonkers.

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I'm dumb and put down a $100 refundable deposit for my place in line for one of the new lightning F150s. I might be getting a big promotion and what better way to sabotage it then spending some money before I've earned it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So I'm dumb and put down a $100 refundable deposit for my place in line for one of the new lightning F150s. I might be getting a big promotion and what better way to sabotage it then spending some money before I've earned it.

I know of some better ways to sabotage it if you're interested!

#3 will shock you.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    np71PR7.jpg

it's a duck

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My mom's car key got stuck in the ignition and wouldn't turn while the car was running the other week.

They had to pop out the fuel injector fuse to stall it out and take the negative cable off the battery so the battery wouldn't drain while it sat there all week waiting to get towed to the nearest dealership 25 miles away from her home so she could pay 400 something to get the ignition column replaced.

It's a 2017 jetta, this is not a part of a car that should be breaking IMHO, seems like a solved problem to make a working fucking car key/ignition... Internet says it's been going on with them and audi for like a decade and they have never issued a recall.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    My 2001 Jetta had a similar problem. The number of times I thought I was gonna break the key trying to turn it back from accessories made me a form proponent of push button start.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My parents have an 02 Passat, and they've had a few issues with it. One time while I was driving it, it stranded me. Like it wouldn't turn on after I parked it, and then cleared out the authorization from the key and couldn't start. We had to get it towed away and everything.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Hey car people

I have a friend and they are looking for a newer car and they found a local Chevy Malibu that's all decked out with the fancy options (like almost all of them, turbo engine, fancy sound system, sunroof...) from 2018 and it's a pretty good looking deal but they seem to think there might be something up with it? What do y'all think?

Personally it's still under factory warranty in milage so I lean towards telling them to at least test drive it.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Take if for a test drive and drop it off at a mechanic they trust and have them give it the once over. If the dealer balks, you walks.

• Options
    Seems like good advice

The car market sounds crazy right now though.

The shortage of chips is driving prices up like mad.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hey car thread,

I have an 02 Bonneville that I've had for 13 years and I love it dearly, but it's old and is rusting apart (I lost a side panel as I was driving a couple months ago, just fell down and then the street tore it off my car).

My wife and I have been saving money for a while now and I was going to get myself a new car this Fall, but I've toggled between all sorts of ideas, and the one I've landed on is: I should get a hybrid. As long as I keep cars, I should just go get a hybrid at this point. But more than that, the idea of a plug-in hybrid really appeals to me. I drive maybe 6 or 7 miles a day normally, and then maybe once every couple of months I'll actually leave town. So for the most part I'd be driving on the electric only, and then once in a while I'd actually sip gas and head out of town.

Plug-in hybrids, even with the incentives, are way outside of my price range ($23,000 is basically my ceiling at the moment). Well, except for one in particular: The Hyundai Ioniq. After federal incentives it ends up being $22,000. Between tax credits and power company rebates I basically get paid to put in a Level 2 charger in my garage and have an electrician wire it up for me.

"Okay Thawmus, sounds like a slam dunk, good for you."

Well okay thanks straw person I built up to congratulate myself for my own decision-making, but there's a slight problem with all of this.

Nobody will sell me the fucking car. They don't have it in my state. Hyundai's website says they won't sell it here. The local dealership says there's none within 500 miles (which isn't true there's a few over in Greeley, CO, so either they're fucking lying to me or they couldn't see it).

So I feel like I've done a pretty good job of navigating all of this up to this point, but now I'm so lost.

Can I just buy the car in Colorado and bring it over to Nebraska?
    Will a local Hyundai dealership work on the car if there are problems?
    Am I being dumb and should I just look at a used hybrid or a used plug-in hybrid? I feel like used hybrids have to have something seriously wrong with them to be back on the market but I don't fucking know anything.
    Should I just wait for next year, are there cooler more interesting (yet still affordable) plug-in hybrids coming 'round the corner? Or should I wait simply because the car market is fucked?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options

Yes. You will need to pay Nebraska sales tax, which can either be handled by the dealer, or when you register the car in the state of Nevada. The Colorado dealer can work with you on this.

Yes, any brand dealer will handle any warranty work for their cars, regardless of what state it was purchased in.

Am I being dumb and should I just look at a used hybrid or a used plug-in hybrid? I feel like used hybrids have to have something seriously wrong with them to be back on the market but I don't fucking know anything.

I'm always an advocate for used cars as a better deal. Like any car, hybrids end up back on the market because their owners got bored and want the new shiny thing. In terms of plug-in hybrids specifically, the first gen Chevy Volt is really cheap these days (easily under $10,000) and has a good reputation for reliability. Might be a great option to try out a plug in without committing $25,000 or so to it.

Should I just wait for next year, are there cooler more interesting (yet still affordable) plug-in hybrids coming 'round the corner? Or should I wait simply because the car market is fucked?

If your Bonneville is still holding together, waiting for a few months will get you a better deal. The car market is nuts right now, but as new car inventory starts moving it should cool down a bit. That said, there will always be new and better hybrids and EVs coming out, so it's really a matter of how much you want to spend and how excited you are about driving the latest and greatest.

• Options
    Disclaimer: I was an emissions engineer on the 2nd gen Chevy Volt, so I have an admitted bias. But I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think they were solid cars.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Absolutely. You'll be issued a temporary (paper) tag when you buy the car. You will then need to register the car in your state. In addition to the registration fee and the plate fee, you'll pay sales tax on the car at this time as well.
    Yes.
    The biggest question to answer for yourself is "does this car make me feel happy." Cars are big purchases and you'll likely have this one for many years to come, so feeling good about the car is very important.

There's no reason that a hybrid would have anything wrong with it. People sell and trade cars all the time. A used car that's just a few years old and relatively new mileage-wise (personally I consider anything under 50k miles new-ish) are generally good bets. If considering a used car, look over what all is offered to you. Most car makers have a "certified pre-owned" program that includes the usual warranties the car is still valid for, with potentially some other perks.

Will there be cooler cars in the future? Absolutely. There always will be. But waiting just because something marginally cooler is around the corner just means you'll be waiting forever. So if something speaks to you right now, that's the right call.

Finally, the car market is in a weird place right now due to the global semiconductor shortage. Some manufacturers are getting around this by stripped out features in new cars. Others are simply building fewer in general.

• Options
    Yeah I'd say one of the main issues I'm having is that I can't test drive anything I'm interested in because they're all 350 miles away or more (I even looked for used Chevy Volts just now, same situation.)

I do tend to deliberate for quite some time. When I bought the Bonneville I spent like 6 weeks car shopping and only car shopping while I also didn't have a car because mine died.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    FWIW I bought my current car out of state and did pretty much everything over the phone or email. How smooth that process is will depend on the salesperson and the dealership. You do run the risk of the car not being in it's advertised condition, so there's the chance of showing up at the out of state dealership and leaving empty handed. However with a new car that's highly unlikely versus buying a used car.

For me, everything worked out extremely well and I'd definitely buy from that dealership again (and recommended to people shopping for the make of car). Do your due diligence and check reviews for the dealership in question. I passed on a couple of cars that I liked more because the dealership had years of poor reviews.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Hey car people

I have a friend and they are looking for a newer car and they found a local Chevy Malibu that's all decked out with the fancy options (like almost all of them, turbo engine, fancy sound system, sunroof...) from 2018 and it's a pretty good looking deal but they seem to think there might be something up with it? What do y'all think?

Personally it's still under factory warranty in milage so I lean towards telling them to at least test drive it.

My coworker has one and she's happy with it. I would recommend that you make sure it still has a factory warranty because she has had some repairs done to the parking sensors and transmission. Both were in the multiple thousand dollar repairs but covered under warranty either fully or after a deductible.

Each parking sensor is at least a thousand dollars and when they fail the alerts are non-stop. Salted Upstate NY roads to blame for the failures but it's something to keep in mind. For the transmission, the yoke is a failure point (possibly part of a recall) but, like the sensor, covered under the warranty so long as the car still has one.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

Yes. You will need to pay Nebraska sales tax, which can either be handled by the dealer, or when you register the car in the state of Nevada. The Colorado dealer can work with you on this.

Yes, any brand dealer will handle any warranty work for their cars, regardless of what state it was purchased in.

I'm always an advocate for used cars as a better deal. Like any car, hybrids end up back on the market because their owners got bored and want the new shiny thing. In terms of plug-in hybrids specifically, the first gen Chevy Volt is really cheap these days (easily under $10,000) and has a good reputation for reliability. Might be a great option to try out a plug in without committing $25,000 or so to it.

If your Bonneville is still holding together, waiting for a few months will get you a better deal. The car market is nuts right now, but as new car inventory starts moving it should cool down a bit. That said, there will always be new and better hybrids and EVs coming out, so it's really a matter of how much you want to spend and how excited you are about driving the latest and greatest.

The one thing I will say is that while the local dealer will work on it, if they don't sell that model and there Hyundai isn't selling them in the state, the techs might not be as well versed with hands on experience versus a mechanic that sees them coming through. It might not be a huge deal in the long run but it could take them more time (and money) to diagnose problems.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

This thing is so bizarre. The Camaro engine, the Dodge Ram wheels, the Porsche paint color. It's an incredibly clean build, seems really buttoned up. It even has paddle shifters on the steering column!

It both confounds and compels me.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Weren't those pretty unstable with 1/2 that horsepower?

Bhow on
  • Options
    I would imagine that thing would wheelie straight up and down.

• Options
    Anyone know where the evaporator drain tube is on the bottom of a 17 Kia forte?

Mine must be clogged because I keep getting a sloshy sound when I make left turns and I heard I can just blow it out with some compressed air from the bottom and get it cleared out.

The service advisor said it should be easy to find Uber the splash shield but I'm not sure where that even is. I guess near the passenger side tire?

• Options
    Well I went and did the dumbest thing ever this weekend and decided to go test drive a 2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid Limited at the Hyundai dealership. I just wanted to get a good idea of what the car was like to drive, I've never driven a hybrid before.

So of course the car salesman told me it was the only one they'll ever see and you won't get another shot at this, blah blah blah and they've called me several times in the past few days to let me know that people are coming in to drive it like hey there's competition come get it now and I'm like okay thanks.

Wife and I went over our financials and while we could get it, it would put us in a risky spot for a few months and it's not worth the risk and we'd rather just hold off until we have less than 4 contractors working on our house and have a few less million things draining our income.

But of course I went and got attached to the fucking thing like a goddamn idiot.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Mine must be clogged because I keep getting a sloshy sound when I make left turns and I heard I can just blow it out with some compressed air from the bottom and get it cleared out.

The service advisor said it should be easy to find Uber the splash shield but I'm not sure where that even is. I guess near the passenger side tire?

Found this link with photos doing a bit of searching, it's on a forum for the Soul but they are built on the same platform so there's a good chance it's in the same spot.

• Options
    Well I went and did the dumbest thing ever this weekend and decided to go test drive a 2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid Limited at the Hyundai dealership. I just wanted to get a good idea of what the car was like to drive, I've never driven a hybrid before.

So of course the car salesman told me it was the only one they'll ever see and you won't get another shot at this, blah blah blah and they've called me several times in the past few days to let me know that people are coming in to drive it like hey there's competition come get it now and I'm like okay thanks.

Wife and I went over our financials and while we could get it, it would put us in a risky spot for a few months and it's not worth the risk and we'd rather just hold off until we have less than 4 contractors working on our house and have a few less million things draining our income.

But of course I went and got attached to the fucking thing like a goddamn idiot.

That strikes me as a very manipulative standard sales tactic. He could be telling the truth but it's not like Hyundai is going to completely stop making cars. If the car really was about to be sold to that many people it would have already sold. Dealerships have so little inventory right now if someone really wants/needs a car right now they are going to make the deal right away.

It also sounds like you have enough of your finances tied up in home renovations and the prudent choice is to hold off on the car for now. With the prices on lumber and construction materials going through the roof your money is better saved for unexpected expenses there. It's not as if this is the one and only car inexistence. There will be more when buying a new car isn't going to put a lot of unnecessary stress on your finances.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Here's the great thing about new cars - they make more of them.
    Also - if you say to that salesman - "I want that car, but in a different color" or something, THEY WILL FIND IT. Dealerships around the country are CONSTANTLY swapping new cars for customers. There's no car salesman worth their salt (note - many aren't worth shit) that won't try to make it happen.
    I'd also say that Costco and truecar buying services can be great at getting good prices on cars with zero negotiation anxiety.

schuss on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I know the car salesman is full of shit, sorry, thought that went without saying!

And yeah, I'm holding off. I was just more saying, "Hey look at this dumb fucking thing I did to myself."

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Also - here's a search you can change out your zip code on to call him a liar when he says there aren't any - https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/new-cars/hybrid/hyundai/sonata/dover-nh-03820?dma=&searchRadius=500&location=&marketExtension=include&isNewSearch=true&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25

Also great to call out their bullshit on pricing. I've just web searched on my phone many times to get many thousands off with no negotiation as I'm like "I can just drive to X" (or nowadays "I can get one delivered for X") and they just immediately fold.

schuss on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I know the car salesman is full of shit, sorry, thought that went without saying!

And yeah, I'm holding off. I was just more saying, "Hey look at this dumb fucking thing I did to myself."

The fact you can recognize this means it isn't as dumb as you think. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    My dad went out and bought himself a "new" toy car, a Mustang. I thought it was weird since he already has one (maybe 4 or 5 years old, silver convertible with the V6). This one though is an '89, with the anemic 4 banger (and early tech fuel-injection) that gets like 90 HP. I mean, whatever makes you happy and all, but not the toy car I would have picked. At least it's got some cool stuff going, with a two-tone white/red interior, 25th anniversary badging on the inside, and 5 on the floor with about 85k miles on the clock. Though I'm wondering where it's going because they have a 3 car garage, and they have the already mention '16 Mustang, his "final year" 2012 Ranger, and my mom's Explorer.

I suggested he drop in the 5.0 V8 but was met with silence :biggrin:

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    My dad went out and bought himself a "new" toy car, a Mustang. I thought it was weird since he already has one (maybe 4 or 5 years old, silver convertible with the V6). This one though is an '89, with the anemic 4 banger (and early tech fuel-injection) that gets like 90 HP. I mean, whatever makes you happy and all, but not the toy car I would have picked. At least it's got some cool stuff going, with a two-tone white/red interior, 25th anniversary badging on the inside, and 5 on the floor with about 85k miles on the clock. Though I'm wondering where it's going because they have a 3 car garage, and they have the already mention '16 Mustang, his "final year" 2012 Ranger, and my mom's Explorer.

89 would be the fox body ‘stang right? There are some real fun things you can do to them.

• Options
    Yeah it is. It looks to be in good shape and I'm pretty sure my dad got it for a song. Unfortunately the photos I found from stalking on car gurus have already been removed so I'll have to wait until I visit next or he bothers to send me a picture. He just got it over the weekend so maybe he'll bring pictures when we meet together on our family vacation in a few days.

What sort of fun things can you do? Since I may inherit this thing in 20 years when he stops driving, lol.

• Options
    Yeah it is. It looks to be in good shape and I'm pretty sure my dad got it for a song. Unfortunately the photos I found from stalking on car gurus have already been removed so I'll have to wait until I visit next or he bothers to send me a picture. He just got it over the weekend so maybe he'll bring pictures when we meet together on our family vacation in a few days.

What sort of fun things can you do? Since I may inherit this thing in 20 years when he stops driving, lol.

Pretty much every component can upgraded for better performance, and none of it is very expensive. Easy to work on, can be as mild to wild as you want and I personally like the look of the fox bodies.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Is it an SVO? There was a turbo 2.3L 4 cylinder available in those cars that was actually pretty cool.

EDIT: Aw nevermind, Wikipedia tells me the SVO was only available through '86.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Also they are pre-ECU, so swapping engines is a minimal amount of work electronics wise. The systems are very “dumb”

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    89 Mustang was my first car. Thing ran forever and as said above, it was amazingly easy to work on. That 90 hp wasn't amazing, but it was a very fun car to drive at 16. It got decent torque at fairly low RPM's, giving it still a solid bit more get up and go than a lot of stuff even in 2000. I'm so far removed I don't know how it would hold up today - I remember the ride being very stiff, but honestly the new Mustangs aren't a lot better in this regard, but it was a great first car and fun to play around with and mod.

Edit - Hmm. Just realized I've only not owned a Mustang for like, 3 years of my driving life. That's kinda crazy.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I feel like if you're starting from a 4-cylinder Fox Body, you should definitely get a bit more wild with the engine swap than just putting in a 5.0 from that era. Seems like between the time sink and cost of sourcing an engine and the supplementary parts, it'd be be easier and cheaper to just start with a Mustang GT outright and build on the 5.0 already in the car.

You should get him to do, like, a 2JZ swap or a 13B-based tri-rotor.

jgeis on
  • Options

Found this link with photos doing a bit of searching, it's on a forum for the Soul but they are built on the same platform so there's a good chance it's in the same spot.

Hey thanks. Hopefully this helps. I'll look again in the morning because it's bonkers hot out today already.