As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm a bit amused that the electric Mustang is called Mustang Lamb's Lettuc-E in France.

Also, this is fun (related because the Mach-E has a similar problem):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE

honovere on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    So, that great decision Merc I picked up.. I thought that it wasn't shifting into fourth gear because I was only counting 3 shifts and it runs out of gears at like 80kph.. turns out it's working as designed, just the 1-2 shift is real smooth (and happens at like 5kph), 4th is a 1:1 gear and the final drive is either 3.6nice or 3.92. Given how it revs out so quick and comparing it to the Alfa (with a 4.10 final drive) I'm thinking it's the 3.92 diff. So now I'm on the look out for a 3.07 diff out of a diesel model, cos this just ain't gonna work for me as is. I want it to be something I can cruise up and down the freeway/go on a road trip, and that ain't gonna work at like 4500/5000 rpm.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I finally got around to swapping my winter wheels with my summer wheels, rotating the tires while I was at it, and now I have a vibration in the steering above 65mph. One wheel is brand new and newly balanced and one tire had a screw taken out and plugged. One of those two is likely the culprit. Worst case though is that the pothole that bent one wheel may have also damaged another wheel that will also need replacing. The vibration is subtle but something I want to get taken care of, so I've made an appointment at a local tire shop that does road force balancing to see if they can figure out what the issue is.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So the next Smart is going to be a four door SUV. Just, like, why? Was that a niche that Merc thinks they hadn't filled yet somehow?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So the next Smart is going to be a four door SUV. Just, like, why? Was that a niche that Merc thinks they hadn't filled yet somehow?

Money

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Ford has dropped the details on the all electric F-150 Lightning and I gotta say, I think it's actually pretty impressive given the price. A base model with 230 miles of range comes in at $39,974 before any government rebates, and it still comes with all the core selling points like a 2000lb payload capacity, 10,000lb towing capacity, dual electric motors for full-time AWD, and 9.6kW of generator power that can intelligently flow power back into your house if it detects an outage while plugged in (Ford is also providing an 80 amp charging station with each Lightning for customers to install at home). The extended range battery option pushes range to 300 miles, and using DC fast charging the battery can go from 15 to 80% charge in 41 minutes. On the provided charge station it can add 30 miles of range in an hour.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Ford has dropped the details on the all electric F-150 Lightning and I gotta say, I think it's actually pretty impressive given the price. A base model with 230 miles of range comes in at $39,974 before any government rebates, and it still comes with all the core selling points like a 2000lb payload capacity, 10,000lb towing capacity, dual electric motors for full-time AWD, and 9.6kW of generator power that can intelligently flow power back into your house if it detects an outage while plugged in (Ford is also providing an 80 amp charging station with each Lightning for customers to install at home). The extended range battery option pushes range to 300 miles, and using DC fast charging the battery can go from 15 to 80% charge in 41 minutes. On the provided charge station it can add 30 miles of range in an hour.

Seriously. I'm in the market for a truck in the next 9-12 months. This just made it on the list. With the EV credit it becomes very affordable compared to a lot of other stuff.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    If you told me last year I'd want to buy a Cadillac more than another WRX I'd have laughed at you but...
    https://www.cadillac.com/future-vehicles/ct5-v-blackwing

that is quite the bit of machinery they are putting down. I would love to make owning a CT5 work, but I'd go from building a reliable retirement account to eating Ramen. The CT4 how ever... hmmm

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    A 6.2L SUPERcharged V8?

658 lb-ft of torque?

That's a monster, what the f

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    A 6.2L SUPERcharged V8?

658 lb-ft of torque?

That's a monster, what the f

I was going to say it's the last great american sport sedan, but I suppose the Charger exists. The Caddy is probably a lot better place to be though.

• Options
    Still a shame they abandoned the actual Blackwing V8 after putting it in the CT6-V and nothing else.

It was almost matching the 6.2L SC V8’s torque output despite being down 1.8L in displacement and while it was down significantly on horsepower, I have to assume they could have tuned it well over 600hp if they’d have wanted.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    The Blackwing V8 is just Northstar 2.0, a complex DOHC V8 for the sake of having something complex and techy.

The LS/LT small block is lighter, simpler, cheaper, more reliable, easier to package, and still gets fuel economy numbers on par with the market segment.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    If GM ever wants to build a ev luxury sport sedan, sure. Otherwise they can keep their overly complex north star engines.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Their explanation to why they used the Blackwing title without using the actual Blackwing engine was that they took all the passion and technical knowledge they built and learned making the original blackwing engine and refined it in to an entire car/driving experience.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Their explanation to why they used the Blackwing title without using the actual Blackwing engine was that they took all the passion and technical knowledge they built and learned making the original blackwing engine and refined it in to an entire car/driving experience.

I too find a 1:1 correlation between the things I learned in CFD and thermodynamics learnings to ergonomics and control theory. :rotate:

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    “We fucked up the V brand by massively watering it down so I guess we’ll call the fast cars Blackwing now “

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    “We fucked up the V brand by massively watering it down so I guess we’ll call the fast cars Blackwing now “

"Also marketting think it's a cool name and we should do something with it."

• Options
    swapped out the serpentine belt today in my Vic. Had a buddy come help in case things went sideways but they did not. It was like a 5 minute job. Having a second set of hands was a big help though. Car doesn't squeal anymore and that old belt had some gnarly cracks on it. Going to get the engine oil changed tomorrow along with the rear diff oil.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    I finally got around to swapping my winter wheels with my summer wheels, rotating the tires while I was at it, and now I have a vibration in the steering above 65mph. One wheel is brand new and newly balanced and one tire had a screw taken out and plugged. One of those two is likely the culprit. Worst case though is that the pothole that bent one wheel may have also damaged another wheel that will also need replacing. The vibration is subtle but something I want to get taken care of, so I've made an appointment at a local tire shop that does road force balancing to see if they can figure out what the issue is.

Damn. It turned out to be another bent wheel. The pothole I hit back in November ended up taking out two of my wheels. A new wheel should be here by the end of the week, hopefully mounted this weekend, ceramic coated when I get it back, and mounted on my car the next day.

So I'll now have two Enkei TM7's that I can use as a table base. I may look into to getting the less badly bent one repaired so I'll have a backup on hand in case I somehow bend a third wheel sometime during this car ownership.

• Options

Ford has fully revealed the new 2022 Maverick, which will go on sale this autumn. The base model features a 2.5L I4 paired with a hybrid system that produces a total output of 191hp/155lb-ft and more importantly hits 40mpg city. You get that configuration (2.5L hybrid, CVT, front-wheel drive) starting at the low, low price of $19,995. While that base model doesn't come with a huge number of features, it does include an 8" touchscreen with CarPlay/Android Auto and automatic front collision braking, and the payload capacity is 1500lbs. If you want AWD you need to "upgrade" to the non-hybrid 2.0L turbo engine, which also allows you to get a "4k" towing package that, you guessed it, can tow 4000lbs. The hybrid model can tow 2000lbs.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Ford has fully revealed the new 2022 Maverick, which will go on sale this autumn. The base model features a 2.5L I4 paired with a hybrid system that produces a total output of 191hp/155lb-ft and more importantly hits 40mpg city. You get that configuration (2.5L hybrid, CVT, front-wheel drive) starting at the low, low price of $19,995. While that base model doesn't come with a huge number of features, it does include an 8" touchscreen with CarPlay/Android Auto and automatic front collision braking, and the payload capacity is 1500lbs. If you want AWD you need to "upgrade" to the non-hybrid 2.0L turbo engine, which also allows you to get a "4k" towing package that, you guessed it, can tow 4000lbs. The hybrid model can tow 2000lbs.

Very interesting. A little less capable than the Hyundai Santa Cruz, but also a bit cheaper. Here is a video of Doug DeMuro reviewing it. That tow capacity on the hybrid though, woof. Even the i4 NA Santa Cruz is 3500. It does look better than I was expecting.

https://youtu.be/-arOcpTLySU

webguy20 on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is that the new Ranger?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Is that the new Ranger?

No. They've already had the new ranger out for a couple years. Is this the new small truck in Ford's line up that's more comparable with an mid aughts ranger? Yes.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    The “build & price” configurator is up on the Ford website. I was playing around with it and I could definitely get by with an XLT trim (heck, even XL, but you know what I mean), but to get some of the options I really want it’s actually cheaper to get a Lariat with no options than to option up an XLT.

A vehicle with the Maverick’s shape and 40MPG city is basically my ideal vehicle at the moment, I could see trading in my Jeep in a couple years for a Maverick.

• Options
    The “build & price” configurator is up on the Ford website. I was playing around with it and I could definitely get by with an XLT trim (heck, even XL, but you know what I mean), but to get some of the options I really want it’s actually cheaper to get a Lariat with no options than to option up an XLT.

A vehicle with the Maverick’s shape and 40MPG city is basically my ideal vehicle at the moment, I could see trading in my Jeep in a couple years for a Maverick.

For me the towing with the hybrid is just too low. My crown vic that I currently drive has a higher capacity.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Is that the new Ranger?

No. They've already had the new ranger out for a couple years. Is this the new small truck in Ford's line up that's more comparable with an mid aughts ranger? Yes.

Yeah that was more what I was asking, I just didn't have time to elucidate.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    So more Ranger than a Ranger. Surprised Ford didn't also call it a Mustang Mach T to continue their diluting of that brand.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    So more Ranger than a Ranger. Surprised Ford didn't also call it a Mustang Mach T to continue their diluting of that brand.

I'll say this, I saw a Mach E around here and it's pretty sharp looking and does evoke the Mustang, my annoyance at that naming has waned a bit. Also it's faster than the turbo 4 and the old v6, and only barely slower than the GT.

If they wanted to bring back the ranchero in electric form and slap the mustang name on it I'd be fine with it.

EDIT: Yessssss.......

avk3hkssy4sk.png

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    If I were still doing serious field bio work, a Maverick could be a near-ideal vehicle

As it stands, city living and working in a lab means keeping my doofy Scion tC is still more practical for parking and such

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Base maverick is fwd? Isn't that... odd for a thing that'll be used to haul and tow, mildly?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Base maverick is fwd? Isn't that... odd for a thing that'll be used to haul and tow, mildly?

Not intrinsically, though it depends precisely what you're doing

In the UK, the most common non-trade towing scenario is probably caravanning, which are up to around a couple of tons, and the most popular tow cars tend to be diesel estate cars (station wagons), which are mostly fwd with a couple of exceptions (BMW, Mercedes, AWD variants of family cars like the 4motion VWs)

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »

Base Maverick only has a tow rating of 2000lb, which is plenty light enough for a FWD lower power application. It's enough to haul an ATV and gear, or a couple of dirtbikes, or a small boat, yard of mulch (but not dirt) or furniture and appliances, and as noted smaller campers.

• Options
    My neighbor brought a brand new 2021 F150 in December because he totaled his 2016, and now he's mad he didn't wait for the Maverick.

• Options
    My neighbor brought a brand new 2021 F150 in December because he totaled his 2016, and now he's mad he didn't wait for the Maverick.

Surprised he didn't get a ranger if he didn't need the full capabilities of the F150. I'm hoping that I'll be able to somehow snag an electric F150 next year.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here sold their car through an online auction, like BAT or Cars and Bids?
    I'm helping my parents gear up to sell their car, as it's been sitting for the better part of a year, and I can only surmise what it takes to make it sell well.
    I also don't have room myself, and don't want the car to sit out on the street and be basically ignored. I have another car that does that enough.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I'd have it professionally detailed inside and a good wash and wax on the exterior. Have a professional photographer or at least someone good with a camera take some good pictures in nice light, really make it shine. If it's been sitting for a year I'd take it to have a mechanic do an inspection so you can present that on the auction. I'm not sure if you need to present a carfax or just provide the VIN.

Also be honest with any problems. I'm much more likely to bid on/buy a car with a few noted foibles than someone going "This car is the second coming of christ!" when it's 10 years old with 150k miles on it.

What kind of car is it?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I've sold a few through my work but it's a more local thing (except the caddy we had to ship to Sweden and depending on the milage and condition it might be more valuable to just scrap it, catalytic converters are worth a lot due to what ever metal is currently high

I know that's weird but it's something to keep in mind depending on the car

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Has anyone here sold their car through an online auction, like BAT or Cars and Bids?
    I'm helping my parents gear up to sell their car, as it's been sitting for the better part of a year, and I can only surmise what it takes to make it sell well.
    I also don't have room myself, and don't want the car to sit out on the street and be basically ignored. I have another car that does that enough.

What car is it? If not an enthusiast car, carvana or CarMax may be more troublefree

schuss on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The car is a 2002 Acura RSX Type S.

• Options
    The car is a 2002 Acura RSX Type S.

Yeah, that car in good shape both cosmetically and mechanically could do surprisingly well.