Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    And because it's uncouth to talk about vintage cars without sharing photos, a couple pics my dad sent me this afternoon:

xKroZb2h.png
    kQ8OyWBh.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    They really don't make interiors like that any more. All the risk taking in cars is gone, it seems.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Well I went and did the dumbest thing ever this weekend and decided to go test drive a 2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid Limited at the Hyundai dealership. I just wanted to get a good idea of what the car was like to drive, I've never driven a hybrid before.

So of course the car salesman told me it was the only one they'll ever see and you won't get another shot at this, blah blah blah and they've called me several times in the past few days to let me know that people are coming in to drive it like hey there's competition come get it now and I'm like okay thanks.

Wife and I went over our financials and while we could get it, it would put us in a risky spot for a few months and it's not worth the risk and we'd rather just hold off until we have less than 4 contractors working on our house and have a few less million things draining our income.

But of course I went and got attached to the fucking thing like a goddamn idiot.

Here's the great thing about new cars - they make more of them.
    Also - if you say to that salesman - "I want that car, but in a different color" or something, THEY WILL FIND IT. Dealerships around the country are CONSTANTLY swapping new cars for customers. There's no car salesman worth their salt (note - many aren't worth shit) that won't try to make it happen.
    I'd also say that Costco and truecar buying services can be great at getting good prices on cars with zero negotiation anxiety.

That was a weird thing when I was buying the Veloster N. I liked that the salesman wasn't pushy at all during the test drive (maybe they just assumed I wasn't a serious buyer in that price range?), and they didn't call me up saying other people were looking at it even though it was actually the only one remotely close to me. When I want back the next month (Christmas was in between) to try and sort something out, the one I had driven had sold a few weeks ago and they were skittish about finding another one. I had to talk them into doing the search and, eventually, driving one 400 miles up from Georgia.

Really strange experience.

Also I went back to the dealership like a week later and they had another one on the floor :rotate:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I am looking for a veloster n myself. The market is crazy right now.

There is roughly 50 2022 for sale across the entire US. It doesn’t feel like dealers are willing to swap them as they are in high demand.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Am I crazy or is it like everything Hyundai makes looks kinda sporty no matter what? Like, I don't think there's a single car they make that I don't like the look of.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    They really don't make interiors like that any more. All the risk taking in cars is gone, it seems.

Speaking of, I just remembered the worst part about mine - no freaking cup holders.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Am I crazy or is it like everything Hyundai makes looks kinda sporty no matter what? Like, I don't think there's a single car they make that I don't like the look of.

The Elantra N has some questionable choices to me after looking at the press photos. That spoiler? the massive black hole front end???

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

The Elantra N has some questionable choices to me after looking at the press photos. That spoiler? the massive black hole front end???

I will say I think the current Elantra design looks much better in person than in photos, but it's still really strange when looking at it from certain angles.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I have a coworker with the regular Elantra and it does look very good in person. I'm sad the hatch was discontinued in the US.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I have a coworker with the regular Elantra and it does look very good in person. I'm sad the hatch was discontinued in the US.

The Kona's basically that niche now. If they made an Elantra GT with AWD, I probably would have gotten that over the Kona.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Even the Elantra Limited Hybrid I was test driving looks really weird in photos and then when you look at it in person it's just kinda cool and looks a bit like a cybercar or something.

Speaking of which, my wife was telling me last night to just go buy it and I had to be the adult and say no and fuck it was hard and I begged her not to say that to me again.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a few months ago i sold my 2016 mini cooper for 16.5k (!!!, it was only 23 brand new)

now my primary vehicle is my 1997 miata... barely functional windshield wipers, no weatherproofing, and no air condition during a florida summer? absolutely no problem, no sir!

but i do still have an old dodge caravan for when i have to go places in the rain

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular

I just got a new Sonata with the panoramic moon-roof and it's wild how sleek it looks. The interior is no slouch either. We are holding out for a better deal on the new Tuscon, that is going to replace my wife's Fit once we can get a decent deal on it.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Colourful interiors are now the domain of the compact class.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The Sonata is the best looking sedan on the market right now and I don't think it's close.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Colourful interiors are now the domain of the compact class.

Or the ridiculously expensive supercar (if you're willing to pay, they'll custom do anything)

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The red interior in my car is one of my favorite things about it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    My dad went out and bought himself a "new" toy car, a Mustang. I thought it was weird since he already has one (maybe 4 or 5 years old, silver convertible with the V6). This one though is an '89, with the anemic 4 banger (and early tech fuel-injection) that gets like 90 HP. I mean, whatever makes you happy and all, but not the toy car I would have picked. At least it's got some cool stuff going, with a two-tone white/red interior, 25th anniversary badging on the inside, and 5 on the floor with about 85k miles on the clock. Though I'm wondering where it's going because they have a 3 car garage, and they have the already mention '16 Mustang, his "final year" 2012 Ranger, and my mom's Explorer.

I suggested he drop in the 5.0 V8 but was met with silence :biggrin:

One thing you'll have to note is that the convertible tops are only good for about 5-ish years. Ford never did a really good job with them, and that might be the case. It's worth checking out.

• Options
    My wife, ladies and gentlemen, 20 minutes ago.

"Hi Honey, I'm gonna go over to the dealership. I just got an insurance quote, I think we'll be fine, let's just go get you that car."

I do not deserve her, and I don't even know which context I mean that in but I feel like it's true regardless of context.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    My wife, ladies and gentlemen, 20 minutes ago.

"Hi Honey, I'm gonna go over to the dealership. I just got an insurance quote, I think we'll be fine, let's just go get you that car."

I do not deserve her, and I don't even know which context I mean that in but I feel like it's true regardless of context.

You should marry her

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I ruined my wife hahaha, at this point if I send her a car ad she basically goes "if it will make you stop talking about cars just go buy it"

Jokes on her

It will never make me stop talking about cars

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I had a '91 Mustang LX Hatchback when I was in my early 20s (So, early 2000s). It was in pretty great condition, and I'd never driven a car with any real power before, so the four cylinder didn't bother me.

It was so floaty on icy road, though, my lord. I lived in Calgary at the time, and even with winter tires, if I went over even a gentle bump, it would start to slide, which was real exciting at 70 or 80 kph.

Before that I had a '79 Firebird that had an 8 cylinder engine that guzzled gas and delivered no power, but would spin at the slightest hint of snow, so my relationship with RWD has always been a bit...tenuous.

I ended up replacing the Mustang with an Impreza, and now AWD is my one hard requirement, which made the shopping list when I bought a new car in 2018 a super short list.

EDIT: My one car regret is I had an opportunity to buy a used 2004 Mustang Mach 1 back in 2008, just a few months before I bought the Impreza. It had, like, 20,000 kms and was basically in new condition. The blue one with the black racing stripe:
    85369181.jpg&w=800&h=400

I ended up passing and I wish I hadn't.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    I was out running errands at lunch and got passed by a Nissan GT-R. What an amazing car. I hope I get the chance to drive one at some point.

• Options
    Well I did it, I now own an Elantra Hybrid Limited

It's pretty fucking sweet and surreal right now.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    jgeis wrote: »
    I feel like if you're starting from a 4-cylinder Fox Body, you should definitely get a bit more wild with the engine swap than just putting in a 5.0 from that era. Seems like between the time sink and cost of sourcing an engine and the supplementary parts, it'd be be easier and cheaper to just start with a Mustang GT outright and build on the 5.0 already in the car.

You should get him to do, like, a 2JZ swap or a 13B-based tri-rotor.

B16 turbo.

Einzel on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    So uh it's been almost a full week with the new car, and I'm still in love with it. I will fully cop to the fact that I am endeared with all the flashy electric shit, all the driving assist shit, and watching the energy diagram as I coast and feather the accelerator and see how long I can go without the engine running each day.

But the car handles really well and that's a big plus for me because my Bonneville was a bit of a boat sometimes and it irked me. I do think my Bonneville was a more comfortable ride but I honestly don't think, outside of buying a crossover or a Buick, that I was ever going to get that back. The Bonneville really spoiled me, there.

My city MPG has been going up steadily every day while I've been putting the car in Smart Mode, and I've been getting better at figuring out how to do my (extremely short 7-mile) daily commute with the least gas expended. This morning I got 44 MPG while driving at 35 MPH. This past weekend I went on the highway for about 25 miles and I got it up to 55 MPG, so I'm pretty confident I can probably get it up to 60 MPG on the Interstate. The car is sold as being able to do 48 city / 50 highway, btw.

I also got to playing around the other night with Bluelink, and I got curious about whether Alexa had a skill for MyHyundai and Bluelink. It does. Was able to start my car via a speech command to my echo dot. I immediately disabled this function because it really bothers me, but it was fun while it lasted!

Thawmus on
  • Options
    Oh also I gave my 02 Bonneville SLE over to my MiL this weekend. She was insistent on having a "backup car" and was gonna blow her coronavirus stim on it (she can't afford to do that, she needs that money), and I had promised her that if she didn't she could have my car when I got a new one this year, and a promise is a promise. I'll miss that car but I'm glad it's going to someone who likes it. I bought it for $6000 15 years ago, and it has served me very, very well.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    At this point, I'd seriously consider a CT 4 Blackwing over a Corvette. Don't know what it is about the Vette that is giving me such a "meh" feeling about it. It's not like I have kids or anything. Hm.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I'm toying with the idea of ordering a manual CT5 Blackwing. I've never bought a new car, and it would be really tight on my budget, but I feel like this one might appreciate.

If the Vette was available with a manual I would order one, but alas.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like that green color with the bronze rims on the CT5, it looks very nice.

I do like the corvette, but the rear of the car isn't that attractive for me. I'm not sure what it is but it seems too plastic.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That green is six grand 😬.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I just need fun used cars to not be stupid expensive. The market is pretty dumb right now. 7 year old BRZ for 27k? Really?

• Options
    The BRZ has been around for almost 10 years already?

Oh god

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Almost 10 years and there still isn't a factory turbo version or one with something near 300hp without modifications.

Apparently in Japan used ones are around 10K and are starting to become much more common as drift cars as the usual S-chassis go-to's are become rare and very expensive. You can thank the 25 year import rule in the US for some of that.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    schuss wrote: »
    I just need fun used cars to not be stupid expensive. The market is pretty dumb right now. 7 year old BRZ for 27k? Really?

Yeah the chip shortage and every car having stupid onboard tablets my dad dint get the exact truck he wanted but the GMC Sierra he got is pretty nice aside from the factory lift but again not many options

A whole bunch of f150s just got detailed too

I want to like the caddys but I just can't and this would also be true for the vette maybe but I built caddies and impalas so to me they are the same car

If you wondering what I mean they use the same frame? I don't know the term oh and there's the fact everytime a turbo came down the line every job had like 5 more things to do that sucked ass lmao

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Almost 10 years and there still isn't a factory turbo version or one with something near 300hp without modifications.

Apparently in Japan used ones are around 10K and are starting to become much more common as drift cars as the usual S-chassis go-to's are become rare and very expensive. You can thank the 25 year import rule in the US for some of that.

Yeah, if they made a turbo AWD version, I would own it (Assuming I could fit in one, I've never actually drove one and they seem so small, but I dunno).

The car I ended up with is a turbo AWD coupe, so Subaru, you could have had my money!

• Options
    While I think the BRZ should have a bit more power (I'd prefer a supercharger) I think having it rear wheel drive is more core to it's sports car roots.

• Options
    Probably. I just really like it, but I only have one parking space, and that means my one vehicle has to have AWD.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I’ve mentioned it before but I have a love for the performance models of otherwise generic/crappy American cars from the late ‘80s and ‘90s. When I’ve got little bits idle time I’ll browse Craigslist, as one does.

Today someone listed a 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34 with just 45,000 miles on it. I doubt there are many, if any, cleaner examples of that generation of Monte Carlo in existence.

But the seller wants $8k for it, which even given the condition seems like a tall order. But man, that listing stopped me in my tracks.

There’s also a ‘92 Dodge Spirit R/T, what could be considered the proto-Neon SRT-4, for sale out in the desert by Palmdale, CA. It’s pretty rough, looks like it’s been sitting for a long while after the seller says it’s “oil pump drive shaft” broke, but it’s complete and even looks like it has some NOS extra parts on the back seat and a fuel cell in the trunk. The price is a much more reasonable $1200, if I had a garage where I could work on it I’d honestly have probably already bought it.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm the same way about the mid to late 90s Eagle Talons. I loved them as a teenager, and having one now would be pretty fuckin' cool.