Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I think tomorrow I'm going to go look at two Challengers. One is a 2013 R/T plus in a real nice cherry red and the other is a 2014 jet black R/T Plus with red pinstripes. Specs are the same obviously; 5.7l V8, 370 HP, 390 ft-lbs torque, RWD, etc. They both have almost 130,000 miles on them which makes me a little nervous, but also that's probably the only way I can get one vaguely in my price point. I just don't necessarily want to get something like that and feel like I have between 4 to 6 years in it before it's time to bury it. I generally take good care of my stuff tho and I also know an old school Mopar guy who can help me with a lot of stuff without necessarily needing to wheel it to a shop should the need arise.

So I figure fuck it, I'll take a look.

Edit: I should note I don't give a shit about the year, it's more the mileage. I don't like all the ridiculous electronic shit newer cars are coming with these days anyway. I just want: gas, fire, steel. Thats all you really need to make car go fast. Get the computers out of the cars, I say. Gimme a fucking manual window crank. Throw back up cameras into the ocean.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Maintenance is way more important than mileage. My current fleet:

2000 Trans Am - 165,000
    2002 Avalanche - 234,000
    2009 Tahoe: 246,000
    2011 Cruze: 218,000

130k is just getting started

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I know this isn't an original thought/observation but damn it's been rattling around in my head lately. For decades we've been told Americans don't want wagons to the point where it's essentially an axiom. But you put a 2" lift on it and maybe some unpainted plastic and you can't even keep them in stock they sell so fast.

/grumble

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I wish someone would ask Americans because the majority of Americans I know (a self selected group of people who almost all have kids, to be sure) would welcome the return of the wagon. SUVs are too fucking big but what else is there?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I wish someone would ask Americans because the majority of Americans I know (a self selected group of people who almost all have kids, to be sure) would welcome the return of the wagon. SUVs are too fucking big but what else is there?

The CUV. The wagon with a 2" lift.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've actually been seeing a lot more of the volvo line of wagons, outside of that though usually it's an Audi A4 or A6 allroad.

The new A6 looks like a menace, it's amazing.

This is in Canada, but I can't imagine much a difference between US and Canada for car trends.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    What are the go-to car buying sites these days? KBB and Autotrader just seem to be garbage.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    So young American question: in this case a wagon is... a cross between a large sedan and a hatchback?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    A wagon would be a 5-door, or basically, a sedan that has a hatch on the back instead of a trunk. Previous gen Impreza and WRX had them as an option:
    2009-Subaru-ImprezaWagon-GT.jpg

They don't have to be large. I dunno if they're called 'wagons' necessarily, but a lot of smaller cars use the hatch instead of a trunk.

(I know they're super popular, but I'm one of the few that's okay with them going extinct. I think they look silly.)

• Options
    Talked myself out of looking at the Challengers.

The Charger is looking more and more like the best option for a few reasons, not the least of which I know the dealership owner and what's on the sticker probably is not what I'd actually be paying. I can take the money I'll save there and put it into making some small quality of life/asthetic improvements like: adding a center console, fixing (or replacing) a small crack in the dash, removing the R/T vinyl stickers on the dorsal swoopies and replacing them with something else, and maybe also getting some aftermarket pipes to make it sound like a real bastard like my Jeep currently does.

Also on my list is getting some nice like, vinyl or synthetic leather seat covers to protect the cloth and those model specific molded floor covers. My jeep pretty quickly turned into a junker and I just never really took the care of it that I should've. Not because I was hoping to get more money out of it later on but because its nice to drive in a clean, uncluttered car. I'd like my next vehicle to stay looking like I just picked it up off the lot.

• Options
    I've been on the Mopar site for an hour looking at shit I don't need.

• Options
    So young American question: in this case a wagon is... a cross between a large sedan and a hatchback?

Yes.

I would argue that this is the most wagon of wagons.

b7qttsx38pnd.png

• Options
    I appreciate the practicality of the Wagon. I would also rather touch my bare peen to a hot exhaust pipe than drive a Wagon.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I appreciate the practicality of the Wagon. I would also rather touch my bare peen to a hot exhaust pipe than drive a Wagon.

Give me all the sports wagons.

4qb3np7yr4l0.png

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    If I had an extra $120k lying around, I'd get the new Audi RS6 Wagen in a hot heartbeat.

• Options
    If I had an extra $120k lying around, I'd get the new Audi RS6 Wagen in a hot heartbeat.

The Volvo v90 polestar wagon in that blue they have. I'd take one of those too.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If my old Volvo 850R was a wagon I'd still be driving it.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    ce64agsxmp7k.jpeg
    I lent my one of these to my cousin nearly 15 years ago, and he destroyed the gearbox and refused to help pay for it.
    I regret not finding the cash to fix it every day of my life

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Americans love wagons. As long as they are jacked up and look like trucks.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    A wagon would be a 5-door, or basically, a sedan that has a hatch on the back instead of a trunk. Previous gen Impreza and WRX had them as an option:
    2009-Subaru-ImprezaWagon-GT.jpg

They don't have to be large. I dunno if they're called 'wagons' necessarily, but a lot of smaller cars use the hatch instead of a trunk.

(I know they're super popular, but I'm one of the few that's okay with them going extinct. I think they look silly.)

I'd say there's a distinction between a hatchback and a wagon. I'd always understood wagons to be closer to estate cars than just hatchbacks.

E.g. the standard EU ford focus is a hatchback, but also has an estate variant (and used to have a sedan/saloon variant as well, but I don't think that exists anymore)

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think the difference is having a the D column for the wagon version in addition to the A,B, and C columns on the hatchback?

220px-Three_body_styles_with_pillars_and_boxes.png

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    The difference (empirically based on what companies call them here) is a 5 door hatch is shorter or equal to the 4 door sedan in length. A wagon is longer than said sedan. The 5 door hatch can still have a D pillar, though they usually blend a bit to the C pillar.

• Options
    Or they try to avoid calling it a wagon/estate etc. at all and name it something like Sportback like Audi did with the A3.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    If I had gotten my license earlier my mom would have given me a pretty cool Ford Taurus Wagon that I actually really enjoyed driving.

Unfortunately it took me too long and she traded it towards a '12 impala, then later that impala towards her jetta.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

4qb3np7yr4l0.png

When I worked at GM they had something called the Ambassador Program, where there was a pool of vehicles employees could reserve for a week and demo for friends and family. Mostly it was typical stuff like Equinoxes or whatever but they had a few dumb cars mixed in there too.

Long story short I managed to get my hands on a CTS-V wagon for a week and it was the most baller fucking thing ever

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Wagons are definitely a body style always immediately elicits a look of disgust from me. Something about that shape that I just find so immensely ugly.

And yes, I think the Panamera may be one of the most comically ugly cars out there.

I totally get that people like them but it's definitely one of those things that I just cannot really wrap my head around and just have to accept that I don't get it haha.

Like I'm not a truck guy, but I can see a truck and think "ok, I get how this would be a particularly good looking truck for truck folks" But the I truly can not look at a Panamera and imagine how someone would see it and think "damn that's a good looking vehicle".

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    The panamera is ugly whether it's a wagon or a shooting brake or whatever.

I think it's more a problem when designers want to make a big saloon sportscar that's also a wagon or an SUV. Like the BMW X6 is such a comically proportioned car. The silhouette of a fastback blown up to insane proportions.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

4qb3np7yr4l0.png

When I worked at GM they had something called the Ambassador Program, where there was a pool of vehicles employees could reserve for a week and demo for friends and family. Mostly it was typical stuff like Equinoxes or whatever but they had a few dumb cars mixed in there too.

Long story short I managed to get my hands on a CTS-V wagon for a week and it was the most baller fucking thing ever

These have never dropped in value either. Good examples still run 30-50k, its nuts.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, the panamera is ugly, but I'd love one for the driving. It's the classic "we need our design language in a different body style" forgetting that you have to first make a good looking car, then bring the language to it.

• Options
    Obligatory reminder of that time Volvo entered the mighty 850 Estate in the British Touring Car Championship

zS8TI6G.jpg

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Yeah, the panamera is ugly, but I'd love one for the driving. It's the classic "we need our design language in a different body style" forgetting that you have to first make a good looking car, then bring the language to it.

While the 2nd gen Panamera is certainly more refined, i still love them both.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hey Car Thread, what's the scuttlebutt on the Subaru Solterra? Their official website has so few details I'm not sure a prototype exists.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'll be overly reductionist and say that what I want is a big cargo area accessible via hatchback that's on the back end of a car, not a truck. That's what I think of when I think of a wagon and it's what everyone with both shit and people to transport but doesn't want the overall size of a truck wants. They used to exist! Stylish or no, most of the parents I know would welcome the return of these but affordable and not fancy Euro styled deals, which is all there is now apparently:

HtMIhgll.jpg

• Options
    I'll be overly reductionist and say that what I want is a big cargo area accessible via hatchback that's on the back end of a car, not a truck. That's what I think of when I think of a wagon and it's what everyone with both shit and people to transport but doesn't want the overall size of a truck wants. They used to exist! Stylish or no, most of the parents I know would welcome the return of these but affordable and not fancy Euro styled deals, which is all there is now apparently:

HtMIhgll.jpg

Yea the last “American” wagon was the oldsmobile that was discontinued a couple years ago. It was a good car too, just didnt sell.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

HtMIhgll.jpg

Yea the last “American” wagon was the oldsmobile that was discontinued a couple years ago. It was a good car too, just didnt sell.

I think you're thinking of the Buick Regal TourX? Oldsmobile went defunct over a decade ago, although it's pretty easy to confuse the two brands as they overlapped and platform shared a ton.

z8a2tlrzp6mm.jpg

The TourX is actually a pretty good looking car IMO, and well specced to boot.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I'm looking at a 2018 V60 Polestar, Wagons are dope.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

HtMIhgll.jpg

I think you're thinking of the Buick Regal TourX? Oldsmobile went defunct over a decade ago, although it's pretty easy to confuse the two brands as they overlapped and platform shared a ton.

z8a2tlrzp6mm.jpg

The TourX is actually a pretty good looking car IMO, and well specced to boot.

Yes thats it! For the price it was a solid vehicle. Too bad they killed it. Could be a good find used.

• Options
    They killed it because they sold like 5 of them. I worked on that car.

At the end of the day, SUVs account for over 50% of new car sales today. Car sales have cratered in the last few years and wagons were only ever a fraction of car sales to begin with, people just don’t want them.

• Options
    I always had a soft spot for the Skoda Octavia vRS estate

It's kind of lost its charm now that it's a halo model instead of being a VAG parts bin special into which the engine from the Seat Leon Cupra has been fitted for some reason

Also I'm pretty sure that Buick lives on as the Vauxhall Insignia Estate (now a PSA product)