Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Hmmm, so my temperature guage isn't stuck and the radiator hose is hot which does not indicate a stuck thermostat.

Hmmmmmm.

Even stuck open the car will eventually get up to running temperature, it just takes longer.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, so my temperature guage isn't stuck and the radiator hose is hot which does not indicate a stuck thermostat.

Hmmmmmm.

What code is it throwing?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Ok I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat sticking now. I drove home and the temp guage never moved. Turned the car off, turned it back on and it jumped up. So that's easy enough to fix.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Engine noises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DVUYTeOyQ

Dario Franchitti testing the Cosworth V12 that's going into the GMA T50, fitted into an Ultima test mule

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah I hate loans. I had my jeep paid off real quick back when I didn't have nearly the rent payment I have now and I'm looking at that new loan amount with high levels of anxiety.

My loan is 12.95% interest with 75 month term so it's been absolutely destroying my finances for years already

Was that financed through the dealership? Or through your bank? Because that interest rate is bonkers.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Yeah I hate loans. I had my jeep paid off real quick back when I didn't have nearly the rent payment I have now and I'm looking at that new loan amount with high levels of anxiety.

My loan is 12.95% interest with 75 month term so it's been absolutely destroying my finances for years already

Was that financed through the dealership? Or through your bank? Because that interest rate is bonkers.

The dealership. But I doubt my bank would have been better given my credit.

I actually traded in my previous car to get a better interest rate. You don't want to know that interest rate.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Some fine vintage motoring for your Monday morning:

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Your bank may or may not have offered you a better rate back when you bought the car. But you've been paying on this loan for a number of years, and that means you've got a good pay history. Banks like that. 12.95% is an absurd, predatory, APR. Please do yourself a favor and at least apply for a refi loan at some local and national banks. You might also want to look into a local credit union. You should qualify for a far lower rate and save yourself some cash each month.

[edit] From the other figures you've supplied in other posts, I calculate that the purchase price of the car was $19,896. That means that of each $480 payment, only $265.28 goes toward the principal. So your interest charge per month is $214.72.

While I don't know exactly how many payments you have remaining, if we do the absolute maximum and say your loan matures in December of 2024, that leaves us with 26 payments of $480, or a total amount of $12,480. If you were to refinance that balance, here's what some monthly costs would look like. Loan length will vary by bank, credit score, and so forth. I've chosen 48 months (4 years) for these examples. Longer loan terms will mean higher total interest charged and lower monthly payments, shorter loan terms will be the opposite.

3.5%
    Total amount (principal plus interest): $13,392.14
    Total interest: $912.14
    Monthly payment: $279.00

4.5%
    Total amount (principal plus interest): $13,660.20
    Total interest: $1,180.20
    Monthly payment: $284.59

6.0%
    Total amount (principal plus interest): $14,068.47
    Total interest: $1,588.47
    Monthly payment: $293.09

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Not enough Frog and Toad though!

It gave me a smile on my shitty Monday, so thanks for that!

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Your bank may or may not have offered you a better rate back when you bought the car. But you've been paying on this loan for a number of years, and that means you've got a good pay history. Banks like that. 12.95% is an absurd, predatory, APR. Please do yourself a favor and at least apply for a refi loan at some local and national banks. You might also want to look into a local credit union. You should qualify for a far lower rate and save yourself some cash each month.

[edit] From the other figures you've supplied in other posts, I calculate that the purchase price of the car was $19,896. That means that of each $480 payment, only $265.28 goes toward the principal. So your interest charge per month is $214.72.

While I don't know exactly how many payments you have remaining, if we do the absolute maximum and say your loan matures in December of 2024, that leaves us with 26 payments of $480, or a total amount of $12,480. If you were to refinance that balance, here's what some monthly costs would look like. Loan length will vary by bank, credit score, and so forth. I've chosen 48 months (4 years) for these examples. Longer loan terms will mean higher total interest charged and lower monthly payments, shorter loan terms will be the opposite.

3.5%
    Total amount (principal plus interest): $13,392.14
    Total interest: $912.14
    Monthly payment: $279.00

4.5%
    Total amount (principal plus interest): $13,660.20
    Total interest: $1,180.20
    Monthly payment: $284.59

6.0%
    Total amount (principal plus interest): $14,068.47
    Total interest: $1,588.47
    Monthly payment: $293.09

Thanks for the info IKG

I might look into it soon. It's probably a long shot though given my credit not having improved much what with long term carrying a bunch of balances on high interest cards... Since I still like to you know... Do things despite my budget being tight with the huge car payments.

Plus I'm on disability, which I feel like some banks don't really treat the same as income from a job as far as applying for loans.

I've literally never missed a payment though so you'd think that would help a bit.

Maybe I should look into refinancing everything under one lower interest loan. But I don't own any property or anything really for collateral so it would have to be unsecured and I don't know a ton to not get suckered into another high rate loan ..

• Options
    Let me add a second voice @Tallahasseeriel , continuing to pay without looking at refinancing is doing yourself a disservice. Maybe your score hasn’t improved and you gain nothing, but if you haven’t missed payments i think there is a good chance you can reduce your payment substantially.

If you’re concerned about being taken advantage of, or if you have any questions about what to do, come visit us in the Financial Literacy Thread! Plenty of people in there who can look over any offers a bank or dealership gives you and tell you if you’re getting a good deal.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I am a fucking idiot. I moved my car to install my new Husky liner floor mats and leatherette seat covers (a grade A investment though I just realized the seat covers say GIANT PANDA in thankfully tasteful cursive red script. But still, not super the vibe I'm going for.) Got everything put in and the thing wouldn't crank. It just kept trying to turn over and I was starting to panic.

My dumb ass put the liner over the gas pedal and it wouldn't let the car start.

Shoot me in the back of the head I lost 10 minutes to this make it quick I don't want to feel a thing.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Real video of footage of Juggernut, that I got from Juggernut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4plN8rNPOEs

• Options
  • Options
    Oh fuck off with these new gas caps.

I can't add my Marvel Mystery Oil! I love that stuff! But those weird, locking gas caps won't let anything other than a gas nozzle in. I guess I'm gonna have to get a funnel? Will those work?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Sigh. After a lot of back and forth I've decided I really want a 2016+ Camaro SS 1LE. Got the financing lined up (1.99% for 60 months, woo), found a couple of cars that looked like they could be a good fit, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. Prices are just goddamned stupid right now and I can't justify paying $37,000 for cars that was $32,000 18 months ago. Tempted to buy new, but now we're talking $44,000 and that just feels extra fucking crazy, plus I'll lose my ass on depreciation once the market returns to sanity.

But damn I was excited to get into something with a warranty for a minute.

Car I decided against tonight:
    rkifnlzi0b1b.png

mRahmani on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Sigh. After a lot of back and forth I've decided I really want a 2016+ Camaro SS 1LE. Got the financing lined up (1.99% for 60 months, woo), found a couple of cars that looked like they could be a good fit, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. Prices are just goddamned stupid right now and I can't justify paying $37,000 for cars that was $32,000 18 months ago. Tempted to buy new, but now we're talking $44,000 and that just feels extra fucking crazy, plus I'll lose my ass on depreciation once the market returns to sanity.

rkifnlzi0b1b.png

I'm not a Camaro guy, but that is a sharp lookin' ride right there. I really like the wheels on it.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

rkifnlzi0b1b.png

Yep, that's why I ended up ordering the BRZ - the used market is just stupid price-wise on any enthusiast car with a stick.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

This is the best twitter video I've ever seen. I want a new 100 year old car now.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Here, some more motivation.

https://youtu.be/dbk__8VN1T0

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

This is the best twitter video I've ever seen. I want a new 100 year old car now.

So many good moments, but I especially like

- having your backseat passengers bounce up and down to generate a bit of traction
    - the marshal who saw a wildly fishtailing car accelerating up a muddy hill towards him and thought "hmmm, better take one (1) half step backwards, just to be on the safe side"

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Note that at least in the roadracing portion, some of those cars are nearly priceless. The beast of turin? It's the last example.
    Vintage racing is nuts in the money that's on the track at a given point. I remember watching Paul Newman crash a famous 914 at Limerock and the restoration costs were likely astronomical.

• Options
    Yea it's so good to see those things out there being thrashed about.. carefully, but enthusiastically. The previous race was on a damp track and the drifting that the guy that nearly won the race up there did was epic. Cars aren't meant to be shoved into a corner in a climate controlled warehouse and forgotten about, get 'em out there and drive 'em.

Heck, I gave way at a cross walk today in my '75 Merc and an older lady gave me a huge thumbs up and said 'cool car!'. It's not even that special, but it gave someone a kick just to see it in a shopping centre car park.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    So after replacing the thermostat it appears that the coolant sensor may also be faulty.

Also this morning I got up to find out the passenger side led ring around my tail light is out. The turn signal works, and I think the brakelight works (will need a verification) but the racetrack led is off. Dunno if the circuit board is bad or what.

I would like one (1) month with my new vehicle without fucking issues, that is all.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    So after replacing the thermostat it appears that the coolant sensor may also be faulty.

Also this morning I got up to find out the passenger side led ring around my tail light is out. The turn signal works, and I think the brakelight works (will need a verification) but the racetrack led is off. Dunno if the circuit board is bad or what.

I would like one (1) month with my new vehicle without fucking issues, that is all.

You bought a used service vehicle. Weird electrical gremlins are part of the adventure! Believe me, I speak from experience.

• Options
    I see a fair number of Chargers with parts of the racetrack LED dead. I would look at a Charger forum, I’m sure there’s a fix out there.

• Options
    Something I noticed when I updated to Android 12 on my pixel 4a

They finally deprecated phone screen mode in Android auto entirely and replaced it with a totally useless driving mode in Google assistant which can't be used in landscape, has a terrible interface, automatically tries to navigate for you and doesn't even let me use voice to control my music unless I tap the screen which is way less safe.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    My wife and I have been considering one actually, it ticks a lot of boxes for us though we’d have to give up some of the luxury features from her Tahoe. What specs did you end up with? Would love to hear your thoughts on the car.

@Dirtyboy

mRahmani on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Not me that bought it, lol. That guy works for Blizzard on Diablo.

EDIT: I do personally hope to get an electric car as my next.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    We have a order in for a Mach-e California Route 1 edition. Should arrive March/April 2022

Edit.

We wanted something with AWD and extended battery. Since the 2022 route 1 now included heated seats and steering wheel it moved to the lead. Since it has the 18 inch rims you get better range compared to the premium, for less money and lose out on some fancy interior lights and a power trunk.

Ethea on
  • Options
    Speaking of the Mach-e, Ford is now selling it's motor as a crate motor. I want the pickup in this video. yes please.

https://youtu.be/DAUcuJOb0-M

• Options
    Reminds me that SEMA show just started, in time to give me ideas for Forza Horizon 5 paint jobs.

https://www.motortrend.com/events/2021-sema-show-tuner-mega-gallery-photos

sema-preview-r34-vspec-2.jpg

• Options
    Gonna try and get the coolant sensor replaced next week. Also going to see if we can trace the line back to the body control module or whatever and see if that's why my racetrack light has gone out. Barring that I'll have to replace the whole damn housing, which is like $140-170 for the unit.

It still has the break light and turn signals so it's either a loose lead from how this thing was wired or the circuit board has burned out.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

It's like monster energy the car. I thought it was a fancy Juke at first.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    ick

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Barf.

• Options
    I was just thinking how they managed 800hp in that thing.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    honestly think it'd look way better with just the upper roof-mounted spoiler

the rear one is just goofy and visually messy