As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I look forward to hopefully getting one of those used in the next 5 years.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    If I was going to get a Z it would be the baseline manual Sport. I think that's where the sweet spot for that car is. I also think it looks better without the lip spoiler, and with the fatter tires and smaller wheels.

I can see that.

I dont like all the wheel gap with the smaller wheels personally.

Plus no LSD.

And the biggest point for me would be no awesome blue interior. Thats such a big thing that if I didn't get that I'd be disappointed thinking about it every time I got in haha.

I like the brakes upgrade, myself.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If I lived someplace that had curvy roads, I'd definitely consider getting one of those 86s. Alas, flat and straight, lol.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

As someone with a manual 2022 brz - they're extremely fun.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I have a reservation for a manual 2023 brz. Hopefully arrives before winter so I can get some manual practice time in before the snow starts.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Perfect! When your ready to sell in 4-5 years let me know and I'll take it off your hands.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

As someone with a manual 2015 86 - they're extremely fun.

Please don't convince me I need the GR though.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I think my only complaint with the 86/brz is that they're lighter, and lower powered than the 4 cyl turbo supra, but get worse mileage.

Is it like, since it's competing with the miata it needs to have garbo efficiency, too?

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    I think my only complaint with the 86/brz is that they're lighter, and lower powered than the 4 cyl turbo supra, but get worse mileage.

Is it like, since it's competing with the miata it needs to have garbo efficiency, too?

It's probably mostly the gearing. The gears are very short and biased to <80 mph. Even in 6th, I want to say you're spinning 2.5-3k rpm at 80.

• Options
    Turbos add efficiency if you don't drive them with a lead food. I would be amazed if anyone around town is getting the EPA mileage in the supra.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Coming from “inefficient” V8s the relatively poor gas mileage of smaller sports cars always baffled me. My Corvette averaged around 25mpg doing 70% highway/30% city. My brother’s NC Miata averages around 27 all highway. Whoop de do? If the smaller, lighter car isn’t going to be any better on gas then gimme the V8.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Coming from “inefficient” V8s the relatively poor gas mileage of smaller sports cars always baffled me. My Corvette averaged around 25mpg doing 70% highway/30% city. My brother’s NC Miata averages around 27 all highway. Whoop de do? If the smaller, lighter car isn’t going to be any better on gas then gimme the V8.

I'm surprised by both of those numbers honestly enough. The Miata should be well into the 30s unless your brother is driving like a bat out of hell.

• Options
    He does have slightly wider wheels which isn’t helping, but the Miata is rated 22 City/27 highway. Corvette is rated 20 City/26 highway.

• Options
    You were probably turning 1500 RPM cruising in the Vette. The Miata is probably closer to 3000. Hell, at 80, my 5.0 is doing 2500. (3.73 gears).

• Options
    edited May 2022
    He does have slightly wider wheels which isn’t helping, but the Miata is rated 22 City/27 highway. Corvette is rated 20 City/26 highway.

Gotcha. Also my first search showed me the ND, which has made some pretty significant strides at 27/36mpg. I will say though, after driving some big HP cars, and some low HP cars, I am a proponent of slow car fast. As much as I'd like a Mustang 5.0, I'd rather wring out a BRZ than just sit puttering around in 3rd gear in the Mustang.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Yeah there is definitely something to be said for “slow car fast,” especially the fact that a hard pull is not “Go directly to jail, do not pass Go do not collect $200.” I still enjoy big dumb fast cars though, although I mostly only take them out to cruise or go to driving events.

My caged Miata turns faster lap times than my Vette did, but I’d still say the Vette was more fun

• Options
    Yeah there is definitely something to be said for “slow car fast,” especially the fact that a hard pull is not “Go directly to jail, do not pass Go do not collect $200.” I still enjoy big dumb fast cars though, although I mostly only take them out to cruise or go to driving events.

My caged Miata turns faster lap times than my Vette did, but I’d still say the Vette was more fun

Oh don't get me wrong, in some ways I'm sad that this is probably the last decade of the V8 engine. A well tuned V8 is pure joy. My maybe achievable dream car would be the Mustang GT350 with the flat plane crank v8.

• Options
    At least you all aren't my flavor of impossible. I want a small manual rwd 4 door (no Germans). Most of the pieces exist but they'll never go together.

Recently found out the supposed rwd inline-6 mazda 6 seems to never be happening.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    At this point I've just accepted that my life is probably stuck in "cheap economy car, fun bike or two" mode for a while, and even if I do get a sportier car it's probably going to have to remain some degree of practical

but god damn even when I'm riding like an absolute hooligan it's hard to get my Kawasaki sub-40 mpg

• Options
    At least you all aren't my flavor of impossible. I want a small manual rwd 4 door (no Germans). Most of the pieces exist but they'll never go together.

Recently found out the supposed rwd inline-6 mazda 6 seems to never be happening.

Last decent one was what, the IS300? Maybe a caddie? I actually need to drive the current 4 or 5 caddie. They're supposed to be amazing.

That said, if you can stomach no rear seats, the BRZ is quite fun.

• Options

Cadillac ATS 2.0 turbo was available as a manual RWD (with limited slip diff!) The V and CT4 Blackwing variants are available with a stick too but of course $$$

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    I had to rent a Camry for a a couple of days last week. I don't see the appeal. Aside from the generic beige, it just wasn't set up ergonomically at all. Massive blind spots out the rear with the headrests in the way. 100% would take a Civic over that thing.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Feels like Hondas are kings of Japan in the car market right now, I just wish they still sold a USDM hatchback

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    The new engine in my WRX has an oil leak after 7000 miles

Mechanic who installed it says it's between the front cover and the rest of the motor. He's going to take the front cover off and reseal it

Hopefully that fixes it, but man if I have to get another engine, I'm gonna scream

Not impressed, Subaru

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So this happened yesterday:
    ddtykoi0s8q1.jpg

*long suffering sigh*

It's on video, genius looked directly at the camera before chucking the stone and is already arrested, my insurance is already got me hooked up with the same local autobody that fixed my car when someone keyed it all to hell and slashed the tires, and they did a great job on that. The window is no big deal, it's annoying, but it'll get fixed, but there's so much damaged leather inside and it's such a nice interior and ...just....

*another long suffering sigh*

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Ugh. 🤜

• Options
    Damn, I’m sorry dude. Somebody broke the window on my shitty Jeep years ago and I was livid, I can’t imagine it happening to an actually nice car.

• Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    I did something impulsive. Only miss driving a manual a little.
    31plvsbs308v.jpeg
    Some things I have learned, the paint is soft enough that I got full protection film before it got more chips.
    Running AC or a heater takes at most 15 miles off max range with a heat pump.
    There’s enough free chargers that I have’t paid to charge yet.
    The backup warning is embarrassingly loud.
    I don’t think I could go back to an ICE daily driver, but would still recommend a hybrid until EVs get cheaper.

• Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    I have a reservation for a manual 2023 brz. Hopefully arrives before winter so I can get some manual practice time in before the snow starts.

Had to cancel my reservation as I don't fit in the car :( . My legs are too long so I can't shift without smashing my leg into the steering wheel.

• Options

Had to cancel my reservation as I don't fit in the car :( . My legs are too long so I can't shift without smashing my leg into the steering wheel.

Ugh, sorry man. Yeah, it's small as hell.

• Options

Ugh, sorry man. Yeah, it's small as hell.

If only I could live barefoot I would be have been set. The car is a real joy and now I am back trying to find something fun and affordable to drive.

• Options
    Camaro Turbo or Mustang Ecoboost maybe? They won’t be quite as agile (though the Camaro isn’t too far off), but are probably big enough. Used 370Z might work too, though it lacks a back seat.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Mercutio87 wrote: »
    31plvsbs308v.jpeg
    Some things I have learned, the paint is soft enough that I got full protection film before it got more chips.
    I don’t think I could go back to an ICE daily driver, but would still recommend a hybrid until EVs get cheaper.

Our next car needs to be a bit off the ground for my wife. I'm eyeing hybrids this time around. Doesn't seem like too many EV crossovers with height yet (other than the lightning).

EDIT: I really really love the HUD on those Kia EV's though. I wish more cars would adopt them.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Mercutio87 wrote: »
    31plvsbs308v.jpeg

Our next car needs to be a bit off the ground for my wife. I'm eyeing hybrids this time around. Doesn't seem like too many EV crossovers with height yet (other than the lightning).

EDIT: I really really love the HUD on those Kia EV's though. I wish more cars would adopt them.

Have you checked out the Mustang EV crossover?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Mach E, Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, iD4, e-tron, Lyriq.
    Lots of small SUV form factors. I'm curious why she "needs" the height of a full size truck.

schuss on
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    Higher ride height can make it easier to get in and out, entry height and passenger space was one reason I picked this over a sedan, my preferred body style. It actually has the same ride height as the Mazda3, but the battery makes the seating position higher.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a cordless 3/8" impact wrench? I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee M12 FUEL Stubby Impact Wrench. The 1/2" corded impact I have is way too powerful and has no power adjustment settings. I have a good breaker bar but it's honestly kind of a pain in the ass to use.

I want something 3/8", cordless, adjustable power settings with one low enough to screw in lug nuts without getting near the 76 ft/lbs I tighten them to with a torque wrench, and has a good line of other tools that use the same battery packs. Let's say a max of $300 for the wrench, battery(s), and charger. I have no brand loyalty as this'll be my first tool, but I'd prefer something not from Harbor Freight. I'm very much a buy it right the first time even if it costs a lot.

That said, the Ryobi ONE+ HP 18V Brushless Cordless Compact 3/8 in. Impact Wrench looks to do everything I need and cost 1/3 as much as the Milwaukee.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a cordless 3/8" impact wrench? I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee M12 FUEL Stubby Impact Wrench. The 1/2" corded impact I have is way too powerful and has no power adjustment settings. I have a good breaker bar but it's honestly kind of a pain in the ass to use.

I want something 3/8", cordless, adjustable power settings with one low enough to screw in lug nuts without getting near the 76 ft/lbs I tighten them to with a torque wrench, and has a good line of other tools that use the same battery packs. Let's say a max of $300 for the wrench, battery(s), and charger. I have no brand loyalty as this'll be my first tool, but I'd prefer something not from Harbor Freight. I'm very much a buy it right the first time even if it costs a lot.

That said, the Ryobi ONE+ HP 18V Brushless Cordless Compact 3/8 in. Impact Wrench looks to do everything I need and cost 1/3 as much as the Milwaukee.

Check out project farm and search if he's done impact wrench tests. He has tons of useful tool comparisons.

For heavy duty use Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita are generally all winners. Ryobi is fine but not as solidly built. Each brand has their star performers though.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I have the 1/2" Ryobi impact, it has 3 power settings and has been real handy. I'm no power user, so I pretty much just get Ryobi tools when I need them, handy to have all the same batteries between mechanical and woodworking tools. So far I've not had any problems with any of them.

pimento on