Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I know Bosch make a 12v impact (I've got their 12v swappable head drill and love it) but their lineup is very small compared to Milwaukee's 12v stuff. I've read good things about the M12 fuel stuff.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I’ve been using a Dewalt impact driver with a 3/8” and 1/4” bit for years for this kind of stuff. Easy to modulate how much power you want and strong enough to remove most smaller bolts (10mm sockets etc.). I think it’s more flexible than getting a dedicated 3/8” impact.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Mach E, Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, iD4, e-tron, Lyriq.
    Lots of small SUV form factors. I'm curious why she "needs" the height of a full size truck.

We have an Ioniq 5 and Mach E in our neighborhood, they are pretty low to the ground.

It's mostly a personal preference. She's rather short and we're from rural areas, she grew up with a manual Jeep. Sadly there are so many tall vehicles and crossovers these days, and being in DC, traffic moves pretty slow. I can see a where she might be uncomfortable surrounded by tall vehicles.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Thanks for the input on the tools. Watching the Project Farm review of 3/8" impact wrenches I think I'll go with the Rigid. Home Depot has the model in the review for $119 and the rest of the cordless line covers anything else I could want. I might also consider getting an electric drill/driver while I'm at it. There's a compact drill/driver with two 2.0 Ah batteries for $150 and if I buy the tool only version of the impact wrench for $80 I'm still under $250 including tax. Sounds good to me for my light use needs.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Thanks for the input on the tools. Watching the Project Farm review of 3/8" impact wrenches I think I'll go with the Rigid. Home Depot has the model in the review for $119 and the rest of the cordless line covers anything else I could want. I might also consider getting an electric drill/driver while I'm at it. There's a compact drill/driver with two 2.0 Ah batteries for $150 and if I buy the tool only version of the impact wrench for $80 I'm still under $250 including tax. Sounds good to me for my light use needs.

Yea the only time I actually burned through a single 2.0ah battery on my dewalt was when we were full on remodeling the bathroom. Having two batteries on hand will see you through small projects.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I get very mixed messages reading through forum threads and Reddit on whether or not a 3/8" is enough to take lug nuts off. Reviews of the 3/8" Ridgid show it easily handling, with a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter, bolts tightened to 200 ft/lbs. My lugs are 76 ft/lbs would should be no problem at all. The Ridgid 1/2" is rated to the same 225 ft/lbs of breakaway torque as the 3/8" so I don't necessarily gain anything by going to the larger size. My Enkei Summer wheels have very small deep set lugs and I can barely fit a 1/2" 21mm socket in there and using a impact wrench with a 1/2" socket is asking to mar the wheels which is why I have a breaker bar. I'd have to get a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter which is around $10 but if the breakaway torque is the same between the 1/2" and 3/8" then why bother?

I'm also now considering the Dewalt XTREME 12v 3/8" subcompact series. Ergonomically with the smaller battery they might be a good alternative to the Rigid. Not much more expensive either. The set of impact wrench and drill/driver will also come with 4 batteries as I can't find one or the other as tool only unless I buy them from Amazon which I'd prefer not to do. Dewalt does not have a tire inflator for the 12v line which is something I do need, so that's one good reason to get the Ridgid.

Cormac on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If your log nuts are torqued properly, the 3/8 is probably fine. If your lug nuts are torqued up by the gorilla at the local tyre place with their pneumatic dak dak set at maximum, maybe not. But, you have a breaker bar for that.

Also I'd always give lug nuts a nip up with a breaker (or preferably torque wrench) after I had some lug bolts come loose after only dakking them on.

• Options
    On the weekend I finally got around to setting the ring gaps and completing my postie bike engine rebuild.

And then I realised that I'd left the dowels off the cylinder and now I have to take it all back off to fit them.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I think it’s worth noting that “75 ft lb torque spec” does not mean that 75 ft lb will take the lugs right back off. Heat, corrosion, and such can make the needed torque to remove a nut considerably higher than what you originally installed it with.

For your purposes the 3/8 is probably fine to pop the lugs off, especially if you have a breaker as a backup. But I’m a big fan of having max ugga dugga available at all times.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I realized last night that I was using the wrong socket to get the lug nuts off. Tire Rack sends a 13/16 socket with their wheels but the stock Lexus nuts are 21mm. I have a 21mm that I use with my 1/2" impact wrench but forgot I had it because it was in the case with the tool. There was a tiny bit of rust on the 13/16 socket. Just enough to make getting them on and off the lugs a huge pain in the ass. What should have taken maybe a minute or two per wheel was taking 5-7 minutes.

I'm in no real rush to spend money on tools since I won't be switching my wheels out again until November and I have no immediate need for a drill/driver either. My heart is set on the M12 Milwaukee stuff but good god is it expensive. For my limited needs it's overkill and now I'm looking more into Dewalt's 12v and 20v line and seeing what Makita may have. Focusing on what I'll use most, an impact wrench, and then look at what other tools are in the battery system. I'm not forgetting the Ridgid stuff because it's fantastic value, has an extremely good warranty, and for my needs is definitely good enough.

Cormac on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The quote to repair my car came back at just under $11,000.

Gat
    DANG

• Options
    So yeah forget about not being in any rush to buy tools. Home Depot has a Father's Day sale going on and they have the Milwaukee M12 combo kit with a 1/2" hammer drill/driver, 1/4" impact driver, and 3/8" stubby impact wrench, 2.0 Ah battery, 4.0 ah battery, and charger for $269. That'll do nicely, very nicely.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Cormac wrote: »
    So yeah forget about not being in any rush to buy tools. Home Depot has a Father's Day sale going on and they have the Milwaukee M12 combo kit with a 1/2" hammer drill/driver, 1/4" impact driver, and 3/8" stubby impact wrench, 2.0 Ah battery, 4.0 ah battery, and charger for $269. That'll do nicely, very nicely.

Yea, between Father's Day and Labor day you can get pretty set. I never buy batteries not on sale. Like I got 2 for 1 on 4.0ah batteries last year. I'm hoping to pick up an electric weed eater this year.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'm in Orlando for a family reunion type of thing and the new Ferrari / Maserati just opened up. Two 288 GTOs, two F40s and the rest of the rabble. And right next door was a Porsche dealership. 718 GT4 with a stick, 911 something with a stick. Everything else was automatic / PDK. Nice way to spend an hour or so.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    On a completely separate note, not sure if this is just a supply chain thing or a normal thing, but it would have been cheaper to buy a costco membership and get a replacement battery at costco than just buying the battery at autozone. By like $50. I already had a membership so it was even more brainless, but yeah.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    On a completely separate note, not sure if this is just a supply chain thing or a normal thing, but it would have been cheaper to buy a costco membership and get a replacement battery at costco than just buying the battery at autozone. By like $50. I already had a membership so it was even more brainless, but yeah.

The savings from buying cheese at coscto has paid for my membership every year so far, and the first year we got it we saved $500 on are car because of the membership, so its been a pretty easy thing to keep renewed.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If you don't have the executive membership, and you spend a lot of money at Costco, have them look into it, it might get you enough cash back to pay for the membership in full or hopefully at least half.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    If you don't have the executive membership, and you spend a lot of money at Costco, have them look into it, it might get you enough cash back to pay for the membership in full or hopefully at least half.

We upped to an executive membership last year before getting our Solar which was hoo boy worth it.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Correcting myself, but at least according to Tesla's website
    To ensure our statistics are conservative, we count any crash in which Autopilot was deactivated within 5 seconds before impact, and we count all crashes in which the incident alert indicated an airbag or other active restraint deployed.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Man this new Z is supposed to be out this summer and we still don't have any kinda actual date.

I just wanna know if I can actually get the one I want or not dangit!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

You know, I never really thought about how much some of the rare parts for extremely expensive cars must go for, especially NOS ones like this fuel injection pump.

Turns out, more than many brand new cars!

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Today's car is brought to you by the letter "V", and the number "12".
    A 2006 Toyota Century! The worst car to buy considering gas prices, but I walk to work so whatevs.

6rfgvj5pyg6q.jpg

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Today's car is brought to you by the letter "V", and the number "12".
    A 2006 Toyota Century! The worst car to buy considering gas prices, but I walk to work so whatevs.

6rfgvj5pyg6q.jpg

are you the guy who posted this on youtube?

• Options
    Which guy? Century videos kept popping up in my feed so I took it as a sign to buy one. Didn't post anything myself though.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Oh! okay the background just looked similar to his shoot. They've been all over my feed as well for some reason.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I only recently learned Toyota made a V12 and was swiftly depressed that I'll never have the money to rev one out.

• Options
    While it's a nice engine, it's definitely one built for comfort. Has a bit of kick in power mode, but nothing outrageous. But it's smooth and quiet, especially on the highway where it's barely stressed. Also, five resonators means it's not much of a screamer anyway.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Okay car people, if I want a fairly roomy electric crossover or smaller SUV, is there a better option than the Ioniq? It compares very favorably to the Solterra and BZ4X in both price and range, with fairly similar options to the EV6. The EV6 seems to be a decent option, but just looking at numbers, I'm concerned about interior space (I'm 6'4 with a long torso, my headroom requirement is a bit more than median). I guess until I sit in both I can never really be sure, right?

Is there a good tool to do a side-by-side of the EV6 and the Ioniq? It looks like I'd need the GT for the EV6 and the Limited on the Ioniq to get the features in both that I want, totally ignoring any color options I'd prefer.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Okay car people, if I want a fairly roomy electric crossover or smaller SUV, is there a better option than the Ioniq? It compares very favorably to the Solterra and BZ4X in both price and range, with fairly similar options to the EV6. The EV6 seems to be a decent option, but just looking at numbers, I'm concerned about interior space (I'm 6'4 with a long torso, my headroom requirement is a bit more than median). I guess until I sit in both I can never really be sure, right?

Is there a good tool to do a side-by-side of the EV6 and the Ioniq? It looks like I'd need the GT for the EV6 and the Limited on the Ioniq to get the features in both that I want, totally ignoring any color options I'd prefer.

The EV6 is the Kia right? It and the ioniq share the same platform. I imagine if you fit in one youll fit in the other.

• Options
    That seems like a pretty safe assumption, yeah. So far I think I'm leaning every so slightly toward the Ioniq, but I've owned a Kia before and dealt with them and they have really good customer service. No experience with Hyundai.

• Options
    That seems like a pretty safe assumption, yeah. So far I think I'm leaning every so slightly toward the Ioniq, but I've owned a Kia before and dealt with them and they have really good customer service. No experience with Hyundai.

Ive had solid customer service with Hyundai corporate when we had some warranty work done on our Elantra GT. dealers are still going to be all over the place for both though. Kia is still bad at the dealership level supporting their high end cars. Hyundai is a bit better.

• Options
    Johnny is 6 foot something and seems to fit in the Ioniq. There's also an EV6 test on the same channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6RsmzCYB3I

• Options
    The thing I'm having the hardest time reconciling with is the aesthetics. I think the EV6 looks much better, but it's only available in like 3 colors at the trim level I want, and then I'd have to spring for better interior colors to not have to sit on 200 degree faux leather during the summer. The Ioniq has a much better range of colors, in general, and they don't limit your choices when you upgrade trim like the EV6 does. I can get a teal Ioniq! My color choices for an EV6 are white, silver, grey and black. Like what the fuck, I want some color.

But I guess, on that topic, how much does it cost to just...get a car painted? Is it still in the $3,000 range?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think even wrapping the car would maybe cost more? At least where I am.

I like the ioniq better I think. The backside of the ev6 is a bit of a mess in my opinion.

• Options
    The EV6 apparently has a lot less storage space, so that's a pretty glaring check against it, as well.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    The thing I'm having the hardest time reconciling with is the aesthetics. I think the EV6 looks much better, but it's only available in like 3 colors at the trim level I want, and then I'd have to spring for better interior colors to not have to sit on 200 degree faux leather during the summer. The Ioniq has a much better range of colors, in general, and they don't limit your choices when you upgrade trim like the EV6 does. I can get a teal Ioniq! My color choices for an EV6 are white, silver, grey and black. Like what the fuck, I want some color.

But I guess, on that topic, how much does it cost to just...get a car painted? Is it still in the $3,000 range?

Wrapping is better than repainting. It will cost less and you can do whatever color you want then if/when the time comes to resell the car you can get the wrap peeled off and the original factory paint job will be there underneath. I got my car wrapped in 2018 for a bit over $2,000 (Seattle area) and I love it. Highly recommend

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    I felt the Ioniq had a bigger cabin space and visibility. The biggest plus the EV6 has in comparison is a rear wiper. There’s also the VW ID4 which is close in price, or the Genesis GV60 on the same platform as the Ioniq.

• Options
    I've currently got a VW and I've not had good experiences with my local dealership, so I'm more or less just nixing them from the off. Since Genesis is a subsidiary of Hyundai, I'd imagine the GV60 and the Ioniq are basically identical in quality, and I'd more or less just be feature comparing?