Options

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Luv 2 watch a season of Hell’s Kitchen where a team of all white women continually conspire to kick out the one black woman on the team, saying they “just don’t like her vibe” and “it’s not what she says, it’s how she says it”

When I say I love it I mean it extremely sucks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Digging the hell outta Umbrella Academy. 7 eps in.

"Think We're Alone Now" from ep1 is a perfect scene.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Ran across Sharp Objects on HBO a while back and mentally added it to my list. Watched the first three or four episodes last night and finished the rest today.

It's really well-done. Creepy, morbid, and intense.

Highly recommended.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I watched the first three episodes of the new Dragon Prince season and am enjoying it so far. I'm not 100% certain but the animation seems much smoother than before. Remember to watch the credits, as they continue to have both jokes and plot foreshadowing in them.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I watched the first three episodes of the new Dragon Prince season and am enjoying it so far. I'm not 100% certain but the animation seems much smoother than before. Remember to watch the credits, as they continue to have both jokes and plot foreshadowing in them.

The studio said they were doing more frames this season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

I would honestly recommend everyone to turn off "Autoplay the next episode" in Netflix playback settings because on Dragon Prince it tends to kick in before the beautifully drawn closing credits even start to roll.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Netflix app I use always throws the end credits up into a tiny picture in picture mode, and I hate it

Netflix does not respect how much I like watching credits (and previously ons, for that matter)

• Options

oh man I had no idea there was a new Alan Partridge thing coming

The only thing I've seen was the recent movie but I enjoyed it a lot

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the first Alan Partridge thing I ever saw was a bit where someone dubbed over bits from Yu-Gi-Oh with an Alan Partridge scene that I somehow found on Napster, I think

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Finished the third season of The Magicians last night and boy, they don't have any problems setting up the next season do they? Dang that's a good show.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Watched both the Umbrella Academy and Doom Patrol pilots tonight

I enjoyed them both, but I ended up liking Doom Patrol's a lot more, which is genuinely shocking to me.

Umbrella Academy was stylish and had a decent hook but was 15 minutes longer and felt like it covered like half the ground DP did.

Doom Patrol's entire cast puts in work, especially Fraser and Guerrero, all of the characters are fully established and compelling and it juggled being hilarious, tragic and just plain weird with a surprising deftness.

Its a good time for weird superhero shows!

also, alan tudyk is a fucking BEAST there. like, holy shit. the whole first episode was kind of amazingly well done, but he was phenomenal.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Ran across Sharp Objects on HBO a while back and mentally added it to my list. Watched the first three or four episodes last night and finished the rest today.

Highly recommended.

Don't run with sharp objects!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i really enjoyed the first episode of black monday and will definitely watch some more

it's like wolf of wall street told in the style of GLOW, with a historical revisionist premise that i feel will be very satisfying

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Boo to the cliffhanger ending of the kingdom season.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

The studio said they were doing more frames this season.

I'd read that, good to see they kept their promise.

Enjoying season 2 so far, episode 5 has probably the highlight of the show for me so far, with the human kingdom meeting. Virren does good Powerpoint presentations.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Man Umbrella Academy is like someone heard about the comic book and went "Yeah I love all of this but lets change everything except the style." 'Even all the characters details and personalities?' "Yes especially all of that."

How disappointing.

Edit: Ok Klause is spot on

Double Edit: Ok I'm mostly just mad at the lack of Spaceboy's monkey suit and Kraken having 2 eyes

Bucketman on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I guess I feel good having not read the comic first then, because I’m loving every character.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Highly recommended.

Don't run with sharp objects!

it's ok, I had someone hold my beer

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    All of the characters in Umbrella Academy feel exactly like their comic counterparts to me, so I think some of that is up to interpretation

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I read the umbrella academy comics forever ago so I don't remember them super well but the show and characters seem to line up well with what I remember

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    It kinda merges the first two books and supporting characters go in some way different directions. But I think it’s pretty solidly in the tone of the books

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Five is just the right amount of snarky asshole that I can endure in a kid for it to be fun and enjoyable.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I really liked Umbrella Academy, but i never read the comic so I didn't have many expectations or know too much about it. Everyone does a really good job, but the kid who plays Five is particularly good.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am doing my semi-regular reaper rewatch

man this show was too goddamned good

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    i am doing my semi-regular reaper rewatch

man this show was too goddamned good

We had a show gutsy enough to build an entire episode around Golden Earrings' "Radar Love," IN ITS FIRST SEASON, and we squandered it

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    any show that is smart enough to have jenny wade in a recurring role should be cherished

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I finally got around to checking out Counterpart and ended up blazing through the first season this weekend. Fantastic stuff. It sucks that they got cancelled, but at least I've got the second season to look forward to.

• Options
    Finished Dragon Prince S2, spoilery thoughts below
    I liked S1, but this was an overall improvement, and not just in animation. It hit some good character beats, expanding the world and lore and developing Callum and Ez's abilities (well, redeveloping Callum's) so they can be useful in combat. And the final credits showed that Gren was found, which makes me happy.

The only low point for me was them invoking the "kill off the queer characters" trope, no matter how tastefully they tried to do it. Yes, you immediately know they're dead in the present because their daughter is queen already, and they sacrificed themselves so their kingdoms could survive, but I'm just so tired of seeing this happen in stories.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Finished Dragon Prince S2, spoilery thoughts below
    I liked S1, but this was an overall improvement, and not just in animation. It hit some good character beats, expanding the world and lore and developing Callum and Ez's abilities (well, redeveloping Callum's) so they can be useful in combat. And the final credits showed that Gren was found, which makes me happy.

The only low point for me was them invoking the "kill off the queer characters" trope, no matter how tastefully they tried to do it. Yes, you immediately know they're dead in the present because their daughter is queen already, and they sacrificed themselves so their kingdoms could survive, but I'm just so tired of seeing this happen in stories.
    I referred to that last bit as "introducing your queers pre-buried" on Twitter

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I just want to say

Doom Patrol has menacing farting donkeys

and they work in that they are a) genuinely menacing and b) genuinely farting

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Fuck off

• Options
    Okay that sounds terrible except "a postmodern Planes Trains and Automobiles" is entirely my shit

• Options
    Give me thirteen episodes of Green Eggs and Ham directed by David Lynch

The entire thing should feel like an extremely long Philip Glass composition

An entirely episode devoted to the word green repeated ad nauseum

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Arrested Development Season 5: Part 2 comes out March 15.

I am very surprised they're even bothering putting it out.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    we here at the team really think of this season of "Ham" as more of a 7 hour movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Episode 6 is the bottle episode.
    "Will you try them in an elevator? During a power outage?
    "I will not. "

*23 minutes of silence. "

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.