As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Auto Chess] Drodo's Auto Chess, Dota Underlords, and Teamfight Tactics!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    got my first placement above 5th in a ranked game and it was first!

started really fast with the demon shapeshifter and got her to lvl 3 super early. grabbed the obvious demons and probably missed 3 star eves and morgs because I was covering other bases... never got to 2 star brand but I did get to 2 star swain and 3 star aadirondacks (the demon blademaster, can't remember the name), amd a 2 star dragon sorc for my third sorc, plus the 3 star shapeshifter and 3star k-sorcerer (not the k assassin that starts early, the sorcerer

haha I'm learning names and all still but I know most of their looks really well and definitely know the class pairings.

that felt good. I'd post the image but it never loaded so I finally clicked 'stop waiting for stats.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    pd3ohfrrkauv.jpg

Rolled the double warrior passive early but didn't get a 2* till round 11. Got shoved all the way down to 40HP before the fact that my boys are literally too angry and armoured to die kicked in.

Turns out when it's physically impossible to CC Kunka and stop his boat you win a lot. Weird.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So which of these games is best and why? I’ve just been playing the game called auto chess on iOS and it’s fun

But it takes a looooong time per match

Are the others faster?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Underlords is about 40 minutes on average.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    This beautiful sight almost brought a tear to my eye.

UHFKggO.jpg

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So which of these games is best and why? I’ve just been playing the game called auto chess on iOS and it’s fun

But it takes a looooong time per match

Are the others faster?

TFT is very polished but not on mobile

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Not having played TFT, Underlords is also polished I feel. Definitely less popular, but available on more devices.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think everything is in an agile development period with a lot of refinement and upgrading, such that it's hard to really call one The Right One

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The biggest factor is probably if you have an attachment to dota or League.

If you have no preference among them it's basically a cointoss, both are fairly polished and in very active development.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    As a caveat, I am way more familiar with LoL than DotA, but I tried Underlords because being able to play on the iPad was super tempting.

The animations in Underlords feel... very amateurish, at least compared to TFT. I also find the UI in TFT more aesthetically appealing, and of course hexagons are the superior tile layout.

I've only played a handful of games of Underlords, but it feels like in TFT everything is tighter, which has pros and cons. You're scrabbling for bonuses much more, and the fact that you combine items means that you generally don't get to directly pick your higher level items. On the other hand, you have more "room" in Underlords.

TFT is also about 30 minutes max, so there is that.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    I had the 2CM 2Arc Warden (+refresher orb and mek) build fall into my lap and yup that sure is gonna be nerfed
    but by god is it hilarious
    A652B3AF7D90319E710668CBE8BABFDD79B4788E

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    do you get the 'victory' screen after 2nd place? I had a long string of 4ths tonight and on my last game it game down to the wire but my dragon/shapeshifter/phantom/ninja/sorc thing lost in the last round to a bunch of blademaster assassin stuff. was very sad. I had like 9 health and they had 3 but I lost the round so I can't see how I won the game, but I guess you get a victory screen for top 2 or 3?

anyway, I know why I was getting 8th a bunch. I'd watched a videoa bout playing greedy but hadn't learned how to pivot into actually playing and making decisions. getting all 4ths after that night of alllll 8ths really felt solid. actually gaining points felt great. and I decided to end the night and I had such difficulty deciding near the end but things lined up really nice. I hate having a couple of 2 stars that are synergistic only with each other on my bench, and sometimes it's hard to know if a synergy is worth a sacrifice of a star... I'm sure it's super situational, like a rank 5 1 star with synergy beats a rank 1 2 star without it, but that's an extreme example. slowly learning just by how it feels when I pick certain characters haha. definitely seeing why what's popular is popular, it takes a really good glacial comp to slow down the super offensive stuff, it seems. plus items.

and speaking of items. it seems like there's like 4ish that are way better than most but I may be over or under estimating some. obviously double bow and bow/chainmail but I also really like double sword, and the armor and atttack speed for group ones seem great but I don't know how much 200 armor really is if you're not also stopping crits. again, surely it's highly dependent just yapping.

fun game. really didn't think I'd like it, almost didn't want to, and I failed a lot the first day of playing. I never fight to learn a game like that.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Are gunslingers still any good? Was grabbing them early as that's what I was given, but then saw the synergy was way nerfed.

Also, I see talk of GP being god mode, but he never does shit for me.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Are gunslingers still any good? Was grabbing them early as that's what I was given, but then saw the synergy was way nerfed.

It's still a decent synergy and still one that affects a good 5 cost unit. Especially with on hit items like hush and cursed sword. GP doesn't feel good at 1 star with no items, but 2* with something to help get the barrels off and he does massive damage.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    seasleepy wrote: »
    I had the 2CM 2Arc Warden (+refresher orb and mek) build fall into my lap and yup that sure is gonna be nerfed
    but by god is it hilarious
    A652B3AF7D90319E710668CBE8BABFDD79B4788E

I had that plus The shaman buff ( the turn into a chicken one) and 2 x primordial edilon buff.

Was hilarious but also crashed my phone :(

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

gunslingers are completely broken

they were enormously buffed

just stick blademaster on trist with debuff items with 4gunslinger (cursed blade / sword breaker optimal) and stick damage items on a blademaster lucian and you can faceroll anything. line up at the back like a huge nerd and abuse a bit of locket and zekes and ur off to the races

gonna get nerfed without question, and because you go graves gp pyke you get pirate gold, which offsets the interest lost of rolling down early to get your 3* tier 1s and 2s

you can also do assassin gunslinger which is hysterical but a bit more of a meme

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Saw my first 3* Veigar last night. Holy hell that is brutal.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular

gunslingers are completely broken

they were enormously buffed

just stick blademaster on trist with debuff items with 4gunslinger (cursed blade / sword breaker optimal) and stick damage items on a blademaster lucian and you can faceroll anything. line up at the back like a huge nerd and abuse a bit of locket and zekes and ur off to the races

gonna get nerfed without question, and because you go graves gp pyke you get pirate gold, which offsets the interest lost of rolling down early to get your 3* tier 1s and 2s

you can also do assassin gunslinger which is hysterical but a bit more of a meme

I had an assassin Lucian carry me from 7th to 2nd place last night. Thought for sure I was going to lose hard that game but the bad item RNG protection kicked in and I was able to salvage my team.

• Options
    One fun thing I've done a couple of times is drop the assassin item on Kennen when running the 4 ninjas. His ult is a real shock to their back line. /rimshot

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I went with Underlords because it's on steam and therefore easier for me.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TfT has more RNG
    Underlords is very good and consistent

They're just different.

• Options
    used a spatula successfully, that's nice. it can be so hard to keep track of things and sometimes my brain freezes and I die just before getting tings to come together. sometimes I don't freeze, things come together, and I get crushed haha.

but 4 ninja 6 blademaster is disgusting.

I may peak at underlords, although two streamers I enjoy play tft so I kinda feel like I'm not gonna bother.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've played like, five matches of TfT and 18 hours of Underlords.

Underlords feels more immediately readable in both UI and how fights play out excepting super assassin RNG fun hours.

TfT I like the item combining system and carousel but figured I'd wait till it felt more solid in other areas before spending time with.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Underlords should be more fun once they fix this Arc Warden thing. I've lost two ranks both trying to find a strat to beat it, and trying to replicate it because I'm bad at RNG.

I still like the game otherwise, though

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    My best run so far in ranked - 14 round win streak!

p3W7unE.jpg

• Options
    BEHOLD

Fr1V7yl.jpg

• Options
    Second night in a row seeing a 3* Veigar. Folks are really leaning into the Veigar + Cursed Blade strat.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    as they should, carry veigar is very funny

• Options
    as they should, carry veigar is very funny

It's interesting because the mechanics mean that you can just splash him in any comp. Who cares about synergy when he one shots any lower star unit regardless. The guy dominating us last night had him in a gunslinger / brawler comp.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they patched just now to nerf most of the obvious bullshit

volibear lost attack speed, assassins no longer get multiplicative crit scaling (which made no sense), cursed blade proc chance down, hush still a 50% proc rate which is ?:??????, morello buff, minor buffs to sorc and wild

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't tried god-king Veigar in any full comp other than yordles or sorcerers so far, but I could totally see how he would work as an add-in to a few other comps. Gunslinger is probably best just because of the cursed blade synergies, but I kind of want to try and fit him into a demon or blademaster build with a well-placed spatula, too. That may be tomorrow's project...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I had a two star Veigar somehow deal 23k damage one round. I don't think he even had any items.

I wasn't really paying attention so I just looked back at the end and saw that everyone else on my team had tiny little slivers for damage dealt. Dunno what happened.

e: I have just now read Veigar's ability, it must have been against a team of 1 star brawlers or something.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    stating the obvious but it's wild how much good items help. I'll also say tho, I think part of that is they help me make decisions faster. when I have to decide between a couple of good options with no amazing ones I sometimes freeze. end up making mistakes in combining, sometimes miss rolls and other mistakes etc. etc.

when the items come early and heavy it's easy to stay calm. sure I'll make some red buffs, some double arrows. oh yeah, I'll hush someone why not.

I'm consistently gaining points now which I'm glad for. top 4 isn't crazy hard to get. winning still feels great. I am torn between the worst feeling being when you are juuuust to slow to finish an upgrade before the match, and it being when you're juuuuuuust fast enough but lose anyway hahaha.

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    TfT's item r'n'jebus absolutely wrecks me. I see players I'm up against have amazing completed items, and I barely have one. I don't know what it is, but it's super frustrating :/

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I think they are definitely strategically picking items over champs in the carousel. Took me a while to realize those were usually more important. After all, you can't roll for items. Also the patience - I used to scoff at people sitting on 4-5 half items unused, but when they put them together for the gross combinations, it's illuminating. Looks like the bad luck protection is real, but it's small consolation if you're also not putting together champs to survive early.

2jf4bbldbvkx.png
    But I think the "or more" can be pretty significant when someone really gets lucky, and it never feels good to come across the guy with like 7 completed items when you have 2-3.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah i usually draft from the carousel for the best item available, then the best unit, then the highest gold unit

only real exception is if grabbing a specific unit completes a comp (like, kayle to my nobles) or something like that

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD WHY DID THEY DO THIS TO PRIMORDIALS

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD BALANCE CHANGE

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i usually sit on my items for a while unless i get my comps a long way along pretty quickly, since i don't usually know which way rng is going to screw me yet

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    OH MY GOD WHY DID THEY DO THIS TO PRIMORDIALS

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD BALANCE CHANGE

Everyone losing to ridiculous ArcWarden combos and having heroes get stunlocked into oblivion thought it was an excellent idea

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Underlords was so much better before this last balance patch. I never see matches get past round 30 anymore.