As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem], available now!

LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stewWhen it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Social Entropy++
https://youtu.be/jZizDqnz7oY

Anthem is Bioware's attempt at making a Destiny except with rad exo suits and flying.

It is like Destiny in that there are a handful of classes, no set roles, recharging abilities as well as an ultimate, fun traversal, a bunch of aliens to shoot, some story about some ancient macguffin or another I think, and nice graphics. The mission design is kind of also go to X location and shoot things until you go to Y location from what I have seen.

It is unlike destiny that honestly the combat isn't as good when compared to something made by a house that almost exclusively makes FPS games. None of the guns are as punchy, nor does it have something similar to hitting the weak point for massive damage. I think I like the dialogue/characterization of the NPCs more. Traversal has a bit more management to it since you can overheat but skimming a river is sure cool. The loot system is basically how all gameplay customization is done. Your loot is not only guns but your active abilities(like your class ability and grenade in Destiny), and passive armor bonuses. I haven't messed with it so far this demo but there is a crafting system to make items for all of the above too it seems. The cosmetic system is also miles above the shaders. You can customize not only paint color but material type for six different categories as well as decals, clean and dirty shaders and unlockable part types. This seems to be where any of the microtransaction stuff might come in. Oh and probably the emotes too.

I dunno what else to say really cause I really only know what I know from playing the demo. You can play it too this weekend if you have a fast enough connection to download it. Or on the 15th with EA Origin Access Premier, or the 22nd when the game actually comes out.. or... I dunno I'd have to look at the chart again.

I don't know if anyone around here is interested in it but I'm definitely gonna pick it up for either PC or PS4.
Also this is just an excuse to make people look at my good good javelin designs.

Lasbrook on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I played a couple missions last night

My connection was real bad but that's probably because I am on wi-fi

When it wasnt laggy, I had a lot of fun. The shooting is solid and all of the movement is fun as hell. I really appreciate the sense of weight and momentum that the Javelin has, the brief moment where you are just falling mid-air before your thrusters kick in is so SATISFYING. I even like the arcing descent crash landing you get when you overheat, feels real neat.

I haven't unlocked my class yet so just the default Ranger but I had a good amount of fun, and the visual customization options are RIDICULOUSLY in depth.

The first-person bits in the fort are definitely awkward, you move SO slow and the weird baby step sound effects you get are hilarious but the writing ain't bad. The stuff with Matthias was pretty entertaining.

Seems neat! Probably gonna buy it!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. I have to imagine the full game has a slightly better tutorial than this, it very much drops you in and hopes you figure everything out

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I don’t know if the closed alpha is still NDA at this point but it seems like it was earlier in the game and it had an actual tutorial.

• Options
    Apparently this isn't the final build, the cert process took so long that they had to submit an older build and a lot of the issues present in this one will be fixed for the actual release

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    traversing the first person hub makes me want to take a nap

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This is a fun game. Also there is def shooting weak points for massive damage in this game. Pretty much all the bigger enemies have some sort of weak point you can either shoot for a ton of damage or to make explode.

Also ya the very first thing the alpha did was put you through an actual tutorial mission where it explained how to use all your stuff. No idea why they didn't include it in this demo. It really needed it.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

They've already said you will be able to run in the finished game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I definitely like the Interceptor the most out of the four classes, triple jumping is fun for both traversal and showing off, and its rapid melee is pretty satisfying. It looks like they toned down the difficulty of the Tyrant Mine from the VIP demo, as it was actually manageable and fun this time around.

• Options
    The bartender being Jack McBrayer is freaking me out

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Matthias being Lester from Chuck is similarly unsettling

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Anthem (2019)

r6bfmlzf79ll.jpg

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Demo has a lot of issues, but there's a great game in there

When it's not crashing it's really fun

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    The colossus is a lot of fun.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Being the last person alive in your squad when you're a Colossus is the worst, though.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Okay played as the Colossus and finished up the story bits in the demo

I like the gameplay a lot and will probably get it

But my 2 biggest complaints are:

A) this was a terrible slice of the game to choose for a demo. There is no tutorialization, no context for basically anything in the world and the story bits we see, and having a hub area where literally everything besides a handful of main characters pops up a NOT AVAILABLE IN THE DEMO screen is a real bad experience.

And B) this game will live and die on how much there is in it at launch. The exploration feels really good, the combat is fun and the customization is very in depth, but if they don't have enough content in there to keep it feeling fresh then that will wear thin very quickly. There needs to be a much larger map, more activities and a lot more loot options (like, if all Assault Rifles handle exactly the same the only difference is the rarity, for example, then that is going to be super unsatisfying) in the game at launch or this is probably gonna fizzle out hard.

I want this game to do well, and I am almost certainly going to buy it (barring any early coverage revealing it has major problems like my potential worries) but I am a little worried.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    My buddy and I were talking about this the other day and I don't want it to be like Destiny or the Division where you get to max level and then there just isn't endgame content to run once you get there. I feel like there's a good chance that happens.

The Division really stepped their game up like three months after release, but too many quit because there wasn't anything to do in that time and never came back.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

honestly as time goes on i just have a lot of problems with the first person hub town in general beyond the lack of running

it feels lifeless even by hub town standards, and having NPCs that are trying to have Bioware Monologues at you who then swap back into generic "How's the weather?" style drivel was really jarring

the invisible walls and segments you can't go are very noticeable, and being in first person both doesn't add anything and makes it feel like a separate game bolted on to the mech game

it's just complicated enough to get lost in and simple enough to not be interesting

and it's weird because it's not particularly important? like it exists to be the downtime and glue between the actual gameplay so you can decompress, but it's just sort of obnoxious right now. and i've never really spent much time thinking about hub social spaces in this game so i'm really not sure what specifically they're doing wrong? so i just know that i think it's bad and it's annoying to interact with.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

honestly as time goes on i just have a lot of problems with the first person hub town in general beyond the lack of running

it feels lifeless even by hub town standards, and having NPCs that are trying to have Bioware Monologues at you who then swap back into generic "How's the weather?" style drivel was really jarring

the invisible walls and segments you can't go are very noticeable, and being in first person both doesn't add anything and makes it feel like a separate game bolted on to the mech game

it's just complicated enough to get lost in and simple enough to not be interesting

and it's weird because it's not particularly important? like it exists to be the downtime and glue between the actual gameplay so you can decompress, but it's just sort of obnoxious right now. and i've never really spent much time thinking about hub social spaces in this game so i'm really not sure what specifically they're doing wrong? so i just know that i think it's bad and it's annoying to interact with.

Tarsis is where most of the story happens, so they don't show a lot of what goes on in the demo. That's why so much is locked off.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This game is a lot more pleasant to play when it actually works.

Unlike what happened in the last demo weekend.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There were a lot of server issues, and as has been pointed out this was a bad slice of game to present in a demo without any tutorials or context, and in what is probably an outdated build to boot

But the bones are there, and I'll probably pick it up as long as the reviews aren't like "uh there's fucking nothing here"

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    I'm kinda glad they're doing the staggered release date thing, it'll give me a chance to see the state of things on launch

Apparently there will only be three Stronghold missions at launch, and running those will be a significant portion of the endgame, which...sounds a bit bare?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ideally the Free Roam at endgame is interesting and satisfying

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    If the Stronghold included in the demo is one of those three that is

Not a great sign

It is a fun little thing and is fine but is also like maybe 30-40 minutes long and nothing too flashy or crazy

The thing I am most worried about is the map

The area in the demo is fun to explore and very pretty but there better be a LOT more they don't show in the demo because that's gonna get real old to navigate real quick if not

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I was actually looking this earlier and the strongholds seem to be their strike-ish equivalent, there will also be new contract missions and “legendary” aka harder versions, but the main thing will be what they call cataclysms:
    “We unlock one stronghold during the main story,” Darrah says. “The other strongholds don’t unlock until you get to the endgame and finish the main story,” Darrah explains. “There is power gating in a way, in that you have to have unlocked it in order to play it. We’re not going to force you to be at a certain suit level, at least not yet. The Cataclysms will be more like that. Anyone can go into them, but your degree of success will be more driven by your strategy and gear. It’s a soft gate. You can experience the content. We don’t want to have content that people feel like they can’t see because they aren’t good enough.”

Cataclysms will function similarly to seasonal content found in games like “Fortnite,” with a global change to the map, or what DICE is doing with “Battlefield V’s” Tides of War. These will be time-limited, thematic content that gives BioWare the chance to change how the world looks, feels, and reacts to players. Cataclysm events will only last for a limited period of time and the core experience tied to them will also fit somewhere on the spectrum between a “Destiny” strike and a raid.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-01-biowares-endgame-for-anthem
    https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/anthems-endgame-how-bioware-hopes-to-hook-players-1203125590/

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So what exactly is the story supposed to be about in Anthem?

I usually look to BioWare games for the characters and story, more than the gameplay.

But this game kinda just looks like Destiny... where the story seems mostly like a tacked-on thing to make excuse for to shoot mans and get loot.

RT800 on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So what exactly is the story supposed to be about in Anthem?

I usually look to BioWare games for the characters and story, more than the gameplay.

But this game kinda just looks like Destiny... where the story seems mostly like a tacked-on thing to make excuse for to shoot mans and get loot.

I think all we know are the broadest of strokes that suggest something akin to the start of ME:A — humanity long ago colonized a planet that at some point turned out to be extremely volatile in its structural integrity; at this point in history, they presume it has something to do with the relics of a "precursor" race, and uh... they are looking to get things under control? While various alien factions are trying to kill each other?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The game just looks kinda bland and I can't help feeling disappointed that this is what BioWare has been spending its time on.

I mean it looks to me like it's just another co-op loot treadmill where everyone runs around killing waves of enemies and shooting the glowy bits of the big monster until candy falls out. Rinse and repeat until boredom overtakes.

I don't know, maybe it'll be awesome. But I am having a really hard time mustering any enthusiasm.

• Options
    Have you tried it?
    The little bit of story we got in the demo and have seen in videos from Alpha seems good enough to me

There seems to be some really cool lore from before humans became free. I think they used javelins to stage a revolution or something?
    Also, Helena Tarsis and the Legion of Dawn seem cool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, bits and pieces do look really cool, but how they are presented via first and third person controlled camera make it really hard to pay attention to the right things compared to directed scenes like in mass effect. And it's due to this I'm kinda iffy on the entire story thing, it might be there but for me, I feel is going to be hard for me to follow the story in this.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    If the Stronghold included in the demo is one of those three that is

Not a great sign

It is a fun little thing and is fine but is also like maybe 30-40 minutes long and nothing too flashy or crazy

The thing I am most worried about is the map

The area in the demo is fun to explore and very pretty but there better be a LOT more they don't show in the demo because that's gonna get real old to navigate real quick if not

You can see a lot more map around the edges of the demo area but it warps you back if you try to go there

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say I'm interested to see how freeplay works in the full game. I'm hoping there are actually things to discover.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mission dialogue is totally white noise, my brain absorbs none of it

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Wish you could try all four javelins in the demo but I definitely enjoyed what I got of the ranger and the colossus - the whole shield instead of dodge thing threw me for a while but once I got the hang of it I definitely enjoyed the colossus a lot. Always partial to the tanky boys and having giant guns to complement it just makes it better.

I'm probably gonna wait for the first sale to pick up the game proper, to help get an idea of what the end-game content etc is like, but I'm definitely interested based off this demo.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I'm struggling between shooting feeling bad with a pad and flying feeling bad on kbam

also the hub is really boring to me and I really worry about the AI being dumb as rocks. I dunno if it's some kind of leashing thing that's not working quite right, but just running away for a bit reliably makes enemies bunch up in the distance and not do anything while I shoot them. On top of that it seems like enemies don't quite know how to handle someone darting back and forth between cover for the most part

Flying around a fancy lookin new world might still be enough to make me want to play, though. I just really hope enemy behaviour seems less abusable in the full game, because that's not gonna work for me. Considering footage I've seen has included enemies literally T-posing and phasing out of existence I'm hoping my problems stem from bugs instead of AI working as intended or such

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I find after playing the demo I'm just as conflicted as when I went into it, really

The voice acting is good and it's pretty and the flying is very fun and I'm obviously a big robot fan and grouping up with friends is very easy and I appreciate the design of the city

I don't....actually enjoy the shooting much though. That might change when I get to play a character that isn't entirely shooting, since I like to play a magic user whenever I get a chance to, but I'm also having a very hard time not directly comparing all the everything either to Destiny or to other BioWare works that were also made to cater directly to me, even if that ends up being a little unfair to the game itself

The conversation system feels empty, the writing with the characters feels wonky (though maybe that's due to the demo section chosen and having the build-up prior will help?), and as much as I appreciate the level of customization available in the robot section, it doesn't really appeal to me much in comparison to Destiny. (The big appeal there being that Destiny's armour system feels like a fashion simulator/dress-up game where I can make myself look like an Eldritch Space Queen, whereas making a slightly different robot feels more...like customizing a car in a Forza game than making a Cool Space Lady.)

I mean I'll probably still get it presuming my usual Gamer Crew does, because I am generally very forgiving of a co-op experience since they often just act as an excuse to be social with friends for me, but until I hear reviews closer to the release date I don't know that a lot of those concerns are gonna be resolved

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    The game just looks kinda bland and I can't help feeling disappointed that this is what BioWare has been spending its time on.

I mean it looks to me like it's just another co-op loot treadmill where everyone runs around killing waves of enemies and shooting the glowy bits of the big monster until candy falls out. Rinse and repeat until boredom overtakes.

I don't know, maybe it'll be awesome. But I am having a really hard time mustering any enthusiasm.
    I mean it is not a Mass Effect/Dragon Age style game

They have been very clear about that since it was announced. It is a multiplayer loot driven game, not a single player narrative.

Bioware is also working on DA4 for folks who want that style of game but I think it is perfectly fine for them to try another genre as long as they are up front about it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

I guess some shit is going down? I dunno, i’m at work.

Demo ends at 6pm pacific btw.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I thought the game felt pretty good once you were actually in the missions, particularly when playing the Storm. I really liked how every encounter was in a huge area with tons of enemies. I think by setting everyone up on Rangers at the start they didn't get to emphasize the combo system, which I feel is the most interesting part of the game. I think when you're comparing the shooting to Destiny it's obviously gonna come up short since Destiny has the best shooting of any game on the market, but thought this felt good and unique with its mobility mixed in.

The UI was rough and the stuff at the base and the story didn't really work for me. I'm also a little worried that every mission flooded you with a ton of junk items that didn't feel particularly interesting rather than a handful of meaningful items, but that's loot games in general.

rhylith on