As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I haven't listened yet but are we back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells?

Because it sounds like we're back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells.

Dan has told a lot of anecdotes and they all paint a picture of a person who sees the world at surface level only. We have hundreds of hours of hearing Dan talk about his life and his opinions on things. "Tiny anecdotes" is underselling it. It's not insane for people to think they have a decent idea of Dan's psyche.

Also, he's a line cutting monster.
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    the fact that he honestly believes it's not line cutting is a real problem

It says a lot about him in that he apparently doesn't comprehend WHY line cutting is bad, just that is is, so because his actions don't meet the literal definition, he thinks he's in the clear.

This reminded me of Dan being confused as to why cops wouldn't just arrest everyone doing drugs in a park at a 4-20 party or whatever it was that one time, because he didn't see past the surface level "but that's illegal" to any of the "but also arresting that many people is unfeasible" sort of details.

Personally I think that not knowing a person, well, personally means you probably have no idea what their psyche really is.

You're seeing about 2% of this person's life and even then you're only privy to what he tells you. Let's get a grip here.

On top of that - having the "Dan is the worst person ever" conversation every 5 pages in this thread is more tiring than conversations about which console is best.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Given that everyone on the Beastcast reacted similarly (or worse) than the people in this thread, maybe give it a listen before wagging your finger at people.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    One sure way to have the "Dan is the worst" conversation again is to post about how we're having it too often.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Given that everyone on the Beastcast reacted similarly (or worse) than the people in this thread, maybe give it a listen before wagging your finger at people.

I just did and I still think its an overreacting. Dan did a (extremely mildly) shitty thing. That does not make Dan a full-on shit person. Frankly, his lack of understanding of it being line-cutting is more frustrating than the line-cutting itself.

edit: Vinny is also a shitty person by said logic if he lets his wife back-cut in line too. Which is of course not true at all.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

I just did and I still think its an overreacting. Dan did a (extremely mildly) shitty thing. That does not make Dan a full-on shit person. Frankly, his lack of understanding of it being line-cutting is more frustrating than the line-cutting itself.

I don't think anyone said Dan is a shit person. Calling him a monster is a tongue in cheek thing. It's a pretty shitty thing to do, especially with no remorse or understanding of the social ramifications of his actions.

And I very much disagree that Vinny letting his wife join him in line is anywhere near the same as what Dan is doing by skipping a bathroom line by going into the exit.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2019

That was basically my point, though?

Like, let's rewind a bit. Which post or posts did you feel were an overreaction?

EDIT: Need to break myself of the habit of using "literally" when it's not literal.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I seriously have less than 0 interest in rehashing this. I was just trying to avoid the ever-recurring snowballing of Dan is awful commentary.
    It's totally fine when it's tongue in cheek. That said, some people here seem to want to infer too much in a weirdly serious way based on a fun podcast. @Undead Scottsman I wasn't ever commenting on you directly.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I haven't listened yet but are we back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells?

Because it sounds like we're back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells.

Dan has told a lot of anecdotes and they all paint a picture of a person who sees the world at surface level only. We have hundreds of hours of hearing Dan talk about his life and his opinions on things. "Tiny anecdotes" is underselling it. It's not insane for people to think they have a decent idea of Dan's psyche.

It says a lot about him in that he apparently doesn't comprehend WHY line cutting is bad, just that is is, so because his actions don't meet the literal definition, he thinks he's in the clear.

This reminded me of Dan being confused as to why cops wouldn't just arrest everyone doing drugs in a park at a 4-20 party or whatever it was that one time, because he didn't see past the surface level "but that's illegal" to any of the "but also arresting that many people is unfeasible" sort of details.

Personally I think that not knowing a person, well, personally means you probably have no idea what their psyche really is.

You're seeing about 2% of this person's life and even then you're only privy to what he tells you. Let's get a grip here.

On top of that - having the "Dan is the worst person ever" conversation every 5 pages in this thread is more tiring than conversations about which console is best.

Hasn't even happened in this thread until now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Man, that Burning Man convo on the Bombcast a few years back was pretty good, esp when Jeff starts trying to lead Dan down the path that maybe cops don't always act in the public's best interest when arresting people.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yesterday's Breakfast 'N' Ben was fun. Ben and Jeff have great chemistry, and just having one person play with the other person just watching and chatting kept it more high energy and positive than murder islands often end up

Ben and Jan the true west content creators

EDIT: Jans intro to pokemonday night and hinting at nuzlocke runs has me hype

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think Ben has been steadily becoming Jeff’s most reliable improv partner, and I’m loving it.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Man, I would be super into a Jan led nuzlocke run.

• Options
    Jan is phenomenal behind the camera, which is a tad bit unfortunate because he's great in front of the camera too.

• Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

Hasn't even happened in this thread until now.

Sorry, I was three pages off.
    If your point is that the topic never comes up well I have bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think Ben has been steadily becoming Jeff’s most reliable improv partner, and I’m loving it.

A lot of Ben’s humor falls flat for me. He’ll say a thing and a second later I’ll realize it was supposed to be funny.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I love Ben deflating the bits that everyone else does. There's something anarchical about it that part of me appreciates.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Watching Ben play Apex makes me feel bad though. Yesterday he was with some ace players and didn't heal himself, pick up armor after he walked over 3 over them, it got pinged and called out on voice, ran around with 1 gun for a while.
    I know stream anxiety is a thing but it was hard to look at.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Watching Ben play Apex makes me feel bad though. Yesterday he was with some ace players and didn't heal himself, pick up armor after he walked over 3 over them, it got pinged and called out on voice, ran around with 1 gun for a while.
    I know stream anxiety is a thing but it was hard to look at.

It made Ben's "win" all the sweeter.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Man, that Burning Man convo on the Bombcast a few years back was pretty good, esp when Jeff starts trying to lead Dan down the path that maybe cops don't always act in the public's best interest when arresting people.

Oh I feel like I need to hear this. Does anyone have a date for this?

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Yesterday's Breakfast 'N' Ben was fun. Ben and Jeff have great chemistry, and just having one person play with the other person just watching and chatting kept it more high energy and positive than murder islands often end up

Ben and Jan the true west content creators

EDIT: Jans intro to pokemonday night and hinting at nuzlocke runs has me hype

Jan got me to buy Let's go Eevee and I'm looking forward to the next pokemon. So hype for my sad waterboy.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Jan is phenomenal behind the camera, which is a tad bit unfortunate because he's great in front of the camera too.

That's kind of the curse GB seems to have with all of the production staff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    never die wrote: »

I'm listening to it again right now because of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsO-jYOqh4I

It's funny that he mentions how he hates men who find Don Draper admirable instead of disgusting, and how all those guys clearly miss the point of how Don Draper is supposed to be a monster when that's basically the same thing as his admiration of cool action guys like Jack Bauer, whose interests include waterboarding and getting tons of innocent people killed.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

It's funny that he mentions how he hates men who find Don Draper admirable instead of disgusting, and how all those guys clearly miss the point of how Don Draper is supposed to be a monster when that's basically the same thing as his admiration of cool action guys like Jack Bauer, whose interests include waterboarding and getting tons of innocent people killed.

Cool Business Guy is an entirely different archetype than Cool Action Guy, though. I'm interested in how he feels about Walter White.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

Cool Business Guy is an entirely different archetype than Cool Action Guy, though. I'm interested in how he feels about Walter White.

I do think his aversion to the Cool Business Guy archetype is especially funny considering how much of an avid consumer he is. It's like he can't connect a to b.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So yeah I checked in on Die Another Friday tonight just as Alex had a slight slip of the tongue.

That was accidental.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    So yeah I checked in on Die Another Friday tonight just as Alex had a slight slip of the tongue.

That was accidental.

what happened

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

I do think his aversion to the Cool Business Guy archetype is especially funny considering how much of an avid consumer he is. It's like he can't connect a to b.

cool business guy makes him think about the underlying complexities of society and capitalism that take away his enjoyment of being an avid consumer

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

That was accidental.

what happened

You can see it on the site, Alex slipped into a accidental slur. On point of the episode Dan played well.

• Options
    How bad of a slur are we talking about?

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    For Italians.

They were talking about Burger King's sandwich, the charbroiled Whopper, and ooops, don't abbreviate that!

• Options
    For Italians.

They were talking about Burger King's sandwich, the charbroiled Whopper, and ooops, don't abbreviate that!

So only in the technical sense then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's a really old school slur, and it seems like it was inadvertent and not intended to hurt.

I was worried we had another Ryan situation.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    That's a really old school slur, and it seems like it was inadvertent and not intended to hurt.

I was worried we had another Ryan situation.

Oh, it's totally just a fuck up and very innocent and Vinny is just dying and giving him shit and nails him with the other Italian one at the end and Alex cannot contain himself and just basically laughs himself off stream.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    For Italians.

what the hell is a CW? failed TV network?

i'm clearly missing something here

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I'd argue that hed argue don draper is a realistic archetype of assholes who exist, and his 'heroes' are all unrealistic extreme caricatures. But I really hate getting into these discussions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For Italians.

what the hell is a CW? failed TV network?

i'm clearly missing something here

Abbreviate, not an acronym.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    what the hell is a charwho

WHAT IS GOING ON

edit - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH (just quickly watched it)

you fuckers with your charbroiled totally screwed me up. man that was some classic material there.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    what the hell is a charwho

WHAT IS GOING ON

edit - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH (just quickly watched it)

you fuckers with your charbroiled totally screwed me up. man that was some classic material there.

Ask Dr. Falken. I think it has something to do with games.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.