As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Do they ever re-record or cut quick looks?

Feel like brad looking up the controls for a game 50 min in is classic GB quick look format

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If they do edit quick looks, it's been unnoticeable.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    for better or worse, they don't edit them afaik except for maybe technical difficulties (lost save, no audio, we lost the source material)

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think Dan should just not be assigned to review/QL/present certain games.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

You mean a game he wanted to play and was interested in?

HOW DARE HE

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't really see how Dan is at fault here. He was really just a victim of the QL format of "pick up the game where you left off to show what it's all about". I've seen this happen on literally dozens of QLs over the years. This is very much an instance of "don't hate the player, hate the game" though the "game" in this format is the QL...not the game....and the player is....Dan....I think I confused myself with this metaphor.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

You mean a game he wanted to play and was interested in?

HOW DARE HE

I’m not sure why you think my statement is unreasonable? He has said many times that he does not care much about dialogue or story and just wants to get to the gameplay bits, and he frequently mashes his way through things that other people, who might also be interested in the game, would want to see.

There has to be a balance between the personalities and the service that GB provides. I don’t really find it satisfactory that Dan wanted to play the game, but oh there goes Dan again, being Dan, what are ya gonna do? People still want their recommendations and Dan taking up a game that he’s not interested in exploring is a disservice to the audience.

• Options
    There's also a large audience that just want over the top character action from platinum games.

I don't watch Dan quick looks either because I know we have different interests in games, but there is probably a lot more people who play games the way he does then your giving credit for

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    There's also a large audience that just want over the top character action from platinum games.

I don't watch Dan quick looks either because I know we have different interests in games, but there is probably a lot more people who play games the way he does then your giving credit for

Well those people can also skip through the video to get to the point they care about. As someone who wanted to see the dialogue bits, it was frustrating when presented with something interesting, then only to be told the video didn't care about that and wanted to get through it as fast as possible. I wanted to see a good chunk of the game both action and story/sidequest bits, Dan had no interest in showing off part of that. Which, in a feature designed to show off a chunk of the game, was frustrating.

• Options
    An even as someone that really likes stories in games, I don't remember a thing about the story in vanquish except it got real dumb when you started killing humans, but the rocket sliding was real good.

If the vanquish quick look was anything but rocket sliding, it was a bad quick look

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I was surprised to see Austin and Dan kinda like agree on their Astral Chain take.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    To put it in Dan terms, imagine a Metal Gear Solid quick look where they skipped the codec conversations to get to third person sneaking game play. Something tangible gets loss in trying to convey the essence of that game in a video. Again, it's an editorial choice that don't agree with.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I was surprised to see Austin and Dan kinda like agree on their Astral Chain take.

Why? It sounds bad and both Austin and Dan figured that out :)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    That dog side quest must be some real Bloody Baron-quality stuff considering how seriously everyone is taking it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    That dog side quest must be some real Bloody Baron-quality stuff considering how seriously everyone is taking it.

It seemed like an interesting thing, but there's no way to tell since Dan mashed through it.

It wouldn't bug me if Dan had said "I've done this before and this is pointless, let's get to the good stuff" but it was stuff Dan hadn't seen either and had no way of knowing if it would be worth seeing or not.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Yeah, it felt like they came to the same conclusion for different reasons (I don't think Dan finished the game/plans to finish it, while Austin already had). Austin thinks there was too much bad story bullshit that got in the way of what little good story snippets the game had, while Dan thinks the game has too much story bullshit in that he doesn't care about the story at all (which Austin agrees is very bland and probably not worth caring about anyway)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

Agreed. It was clearly just a weird/dumb side quest. I really don't understand people having issue with Dan not going into great detail around it.

Now, if you're upset about the fact that the Astral Chain QL was essentially 'wasted' then I can kind of understand that.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Agreed. It was clearly just a weird/dumb side quest. I really don't understand people having issue with Dan not going into great detail around it.

Now, if you're upset about the fact that the Astral Chain QL was essentially 'wasted' then I can kind of understand that.

should have just cut out the beginning and restart the ql after he finished mashing out of it. idk.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Most of the Heave Ho portion of the latest Playdate is me watching Alex in morbid curiosity as he either forgets he can grab stuff or forgets he can let go, depending on the situation.

Dat ending though. <3

Glal on
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

should have just cut out the beginning and restart the ql after he finished mashing out of it. idk.

I don't disagree but that's not really how QLs work for the most part.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Why? It sounds bad and both Austin and Dan figured that out :)

@cooljammer00 said it way better than I could. Then that segment is followed by Austin's patented "I like this game but I can't recommend it".

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Also, if they don't think it would be fun for the viewers then cut that bit out, or play past it and restart the QL there. Personally I don't need an excuse to listen to Vinny and Dan waffle, but I also wouldn't consider it hot content that needs to be included either.

As someone who has done amateur level production of content, you basically never cut anything, especially if the whole point is to give an example of the experience. It takes a lot of time to do any editing, you only restart if you have a technical issue you cant overcome. At least thats the GB doctrine and the more work I do the more I understand it.

When you see fun gags done by Vinny in editing in old content? Thats to stop from going insane from the long hours. If you want the video editor experience, watch youtube poop videos and I would say its almost there. I'd wager it's why they do live audio effects on the bombcast now, those audio effects fucking up or mistiming is worth the risk vs not having to scrub through the podcast to edit them in. Vinny does it once for the east podcast, and I guarantee its because he knows exactly what his voice graph for "COR-RECTIONS" looks like without listening.

Edit: After ~20 episodes of podcasts, I know exactly what two of my friends voice graphs look like when they say 'ummm','ahhhh', large laughs and coughs, and can tell you which is which without listening.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I still think this might be one of the funniest Bombcast segments ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHvn6-tytQ

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I look mental right now laughing my arse off at that!

• Options
    wtf...I didn't notice this at first:
    2nciyrixfdk1.png

• Options
    Obviously a joke. That seems like exactly the kind of thing Ben would joke about without realizing that it might actually piss off Jeff.

• Options
    The junior scientist will never be getting their lab coat.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I mean, it's on the official GB newsletter. I doubt Jeff would actually be mad that Ben decided he's the dog editor (like how Brad and now Jan are the anime editors)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    i laughed at that right away when the email came in this morning heh

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I think it's a bit different when you're effectively pretending you have your boss's job. It's probably not a big deal in the world of GB but there are spaces I've worked in where it would be a definite no-no. Especially if it's being committed to print.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I’m surprised no one mentioned the best part of this play date.
    Vinny reminding Dan about the rewind feature as Alex beats him in Mario Kart. Then Dan rewinding it and winning instead.

• Options
    I'm surprised the former Harmonix members who joined Alex's charity stream this weekend can still listen to the Beatles after the ordeal that was working on that game (and other RB games)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think it's a bit different when you're effectively pretending you have your boss's job. It's probably not a big deal in the world of GB but there are spaces I've worked in where it would be a definite no-no. Especially if it's being committed to print.

Jeff seems like the kind of boss who wouldn't give a shit given he's held his position basically in perpetuity

That said, I too strongly doubt Ben will ever get his lab coat now

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think Jeff would be more pissed about Ben being in the wiki as the best dog companion being fake wiki edits and I missed the whole title gag. I dont think he would care about the title. The wiki seems like a hard set documented design thing that he holds as important to him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm sure Brad would have more reason to be pissed about the editor-in-chief joke (not that he is) than Jeff ever would be, given if Jeff left he'd be the likely one to take the job.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I'm sure Brad would have more reason to be pissed about the editor-in-chief joke (not that he is) than Jeff ever would be, given if Jeff left he'd be the likely one to take the job.

Not if Brad leaves first.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sad to see Brad go.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sad to see Brad go.

It's the longest farewell

• Options
    Whenever I hear “Man of Medan” I just think of “Man of My Dan.”

• Options
    It's a very odd name unless there is an actual Man of Medan.

Also the BeastCast isn't the first place that mentioned that Man of Medan feels sloppier than Until Dawn. I figure because Until Dawn was in development for many years (wasn't it going to be a PS3 title?) maybe they had more time to polish it up.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.