Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I tried to play DMC4 and DMC3 recently and found them agonizingly unwieldy. The character is so slow, and your weapons surprisingly short, and the main defense is... jumping? Rolling seems worse than I recalled

Far different than I remembered and a lot less fun than Bayonetta, God of War, Soulslikes, etc.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    VishNub wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn

VishNub top row third cup will likely disassemble everyone else (though second row most right might put up a fight, given claw size)

I'm also willing to bet the middle ones are cuddly and blind.

(I like the black and white ones at (2,2))

I assume those are all different species? And you can you ID them on sight?

o_O

There are some color morphs within species, and diet and such can change coloration. I suspect that the three on the right top and the one orange one to the left of that are all the same species, as is second to last row and last row first column, and so are the rest on the last row. Middle two look like blind cave species. First two are probably same species, two on the left on second and third row are the same species.

So, no, I can't ID them on sight, but I can tell you stuff about them. I can tell who'd win because size :P

(and because the two I said would win are of a particularly aggressive clade and the only others of similar size, the black white ones, are either of a species with pitiful weak claws or are females, which isn't a huge handicap except that during breeding season the males molt to switch to enormous unwieldy claws for fighting)

As is proper.

Except that when pregnant, the females go from winning like a little less than half their fights to basically all of them, for two main reasons:

1) they can't escape from danger easily because they would lose their eggs if they tried to swim
    2) fuck you

Are they fighting males (of the same? different?) species?

The most common/notorious species (you have eaten them, surely) form extremely vicious hierarchies. They basically fight without regards to sex, though during mating season the males have the claw advantage (seriously, though, sufficiently unwieldy that it's not really helpful for fighting predators). But yeah, they'll fight whatever, and their mating usually occurs following combat. Kind of like Klingons, frankly. Fighting followed by kinky restraint sex while the other crayfish walk around the tank all bored, or sometimes try to start fights and get frustrated and leave when the ones busy fucking don't want to fight.

I have not tried to fight ones of different species, but my advisor has and said that it's basically just sad watching one animal take the other apart.
    Also I'm glad you have statistics on crayfish fighting ability by season.

The best stats are how if you put two females and one male in a tank, 80% of the fucking will be sapphic.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

They got Danny Trejo to help advertise MTG Arena with Day9. That is weird.

• Options
    I really just want games like Left 4 Dead in terms of co-op.

Challenging, replayable maps of significant length, no loot grind, strong co-op design from the ground up. Ideally add more weapon variety and some neat character abilities

Make it free to play or add micros or whatever, sure, as long as it's cosmetic stuff (which is great! I'll buy some, sure!). Make new maps and characters that I have to buy, sure. But just give me some good, challenging co-op gun play that people can just play with each other.

What about the skippy factor though

What is the skippy factor

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What if you’ve already played the last multiplayer game you’ll ever play with chums

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Making games is hard and having ideas for games is easy

I have design docs for a turn based squad tactics game, with suppression and etc, but will I ever make it or get other people to help? I dunno

Designing AI for that shit is wild
    The trick is to design a fantastic AI paradigm that should make serious cost:benefit analyses of all its options and select those appropriate to the players' skill level and then watch players describe it as "having sad in a corner shooting a brick wall for 10 minutes."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Challenging, replayable maps of significant length, no loot grind, strong co-op design from the ground up. Ideally add more weapon variety and some neat character abilities

Make it free to play or add micros or whatever, sure, as long as it's cosmetic stuff (which is great! I'll buy some, sure!). Make new maps and characters that I have to buy, sure. But just give me some good, challenging co-op gun play that people can just play with each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guy was supposed to come in for an interview today. Doesn't show, doesn't contact us. Boss texts him to ask where he is and is told that something has come up and can he do the interview tomorrow instead?

No, he cannot.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I tried to play DMC4 and DMC3 recently and found them agonizingly unwieldy. The character is so slow, and your weapons surprisingly short, and the main defense is... jumping? Rolling seems worse than I recalled

Far different than I remembered and a lot less fun than Bayonetta, God of War, Soulslikes, etc.

The rolling is definitely something that was giving me a hard time. Since you can only roll while locked and lock was a hold button the I would accidentally jump so god damn much and it just like made it all feel so cludgey.

Rolling is my jam and an action game where rolling is giving me a hard time is a bit rough.

I'm still gonna pick it up and hopefully find a way to make it feel better. But yea during the demo period the combat never felt as great as I hoped.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    What if you’ve already played the last multiplayer game you’ll ever play with chums

My MP desert was replaced with weekly Netrunner and D&D sessions for a time. Now I get my competitive kicks solely through boardgames. And illegal street racing, of course.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Making games is hard and having ideas for games is easy

I have design docs for a turn based squad tactics game, with suppression and etc, but will I ever make it or get other people to help? I dunno

Designing AI for that shit is wild
    The trick is to design a fantastic AI paradigm that should make serious cost:benefit analyses of all its options and select those appropriate to the players' skill level and then watch players describe it as "having sad in a corner shooting a brick wall for 10 minutes."

Surely we can just train up an AI through machine learning

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I was kinda hoping that I woulda been more into Anthem so I could maybe find some friends to play that with but the demo just kinda chucked that idea out the window.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Here is a picture of a male being held
    AHXHTHMHLRLLBZSL2ZKL6ZGL1ZGL6ZKLAHRL1H4HHRNHFH4LBZ9HZR4LNZ6HFHUH1Z5LHR5LUZRLPZZL4ZQL5ZHLVH.jpg

Clearly overcompensating for something with those claws

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm just saying guys...CS:GO is real fun, lotta strategy and opportunity for tactics at most levels because not everyone is a flick god even if they think they are.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

My MP desert was replaced with weekly Netrunner and D&D sessions for a time. Now I get my competitive kicks solely through boardgames. And illegal street racing, of course.

Bogart drifting at high speed around in on-ramp on the way to the board game shop is canon now imo

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ME3 was maybe my favourite MP game, largely because of the frequent sessions with PA folks.

yeah it was tons of fun

I think my only gripes was that enemy resilience was poorly communicated visually, and some enemy like grabbing you and killing you or something like that being kinda clunky

my memories of the gripes are overshadowed by the memories of my waifu Black Widow going "kaboom kaboom kaboom"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    ME3 was maybe my favourite MP game, largely because of the frequent sessions with PA folks.

I just want to recreate that experience. Co-op, short matches, varied environments and playstyles, cool people to play with. Been 7 years and still nothin'.

• Options
    If you have xbone buy game pass for a month and play crackdown 3 bro op for a week for chuckles

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

those little booooootttsssssss

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Burning limited resources to steal a health pack he doesn't need but you do

Repeatedly opening and closing the safe room door with three people inside and you outside

These sorts of things

sig.gif
  • Options
    I was kinda hoping that I woulda been more into Anthem so I could maybe find some friends to play that with but the demo just kinda chucked that idea out the window.

This was kind of disappointing but otoh I'm not tryna get into another loot shooter with chores to do

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I find that multiplayer always feels like this big stressful undertaking and then you do it and it's lighter and more fun than you remembered

There was a period of time where playing with people was new and exciting and everyone was super into it and helpful because it was new.

Now it's in everything and everyone's a dick because who cares, fuck you. I think this is why there's a resurgence of single player games. However a good solution is to just be able to play with personal friends instead of random fuckheads.
    Monthly reminder: bring back community servers, game designers.

If we do that, how will we bilk out an extra 10% of earnings from an IP?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Planet earth 3 already huh?
    Guess they need to put them out faster now
    Not much time left

poo
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Shaz

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I just want to recreate that experience. Co-op, short matches, varied environments and playstyles, cool people to play with. Been 7 years and still nothin'.

Letting me tweak and customize weapons and stuff and carry that In and out of co op is big for me

I liked blops3’s work stations where you could customize load outs to be ready for your next co op

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Planet earth 3 already huh?
    Guess they need to put them out faster now
    Not much time left

Attenborough is 92 after all.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Repeatedly opening and closing the safe room door with three people inside and you outside

These sorts of things

This is a crucial aspect of every co-op game and they are richer for it

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Sure, as long as you have a couple of dozen to a thousand spare CPUs to run it on.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm just saying guys...CS:GO is real fun, lotta strategy and opportunity for tactics at most levels because not everyone is a flick god even if they think they are.

related, the reason I don't like bullet-spongey multiplayer shooters is because it makes tactics less important

getting the drop on someone means less when it takes a long time to kill them. If there's two of them, it doesn't help me as much that I predicted where they'd go and laid an ambush, if it takes so long and so many shots to kill them that they have ample opportunity to turn around and fuck me up

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

These sorts of things

This is a crucial aspect of every co-op game and they are richer for it

Of course, I did not mean to imply otherwise

Skippy probably doesn't even enjoy it, he's just providing a public service

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sure, as long as you have a couple of dozen to a thousand spare CPUs to run it on.

I have one Surface Pro 6 i5

That's probably fine, right

• Options
    not gonna lie, part of why apex legends is like "this is kinda neat but I feel like there's not much here" is because I got nothing to grind towards

it's never a great motivation in a game, but it is one. And like, none of the customizations in apex legends interest me. They're either ugly or boring.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

related, the reason I don't like bullet-spongey multiplayer shooters is because it makes tactics less important

getting the drop on someone means less when it takes a long time to kill them. If there's two of them, it doesn't help me as much that I predicted where they'd go and laid an ambush, if it takes so long and so many shots to kill them that they have ample opportunity to turn around and fuck me up

just buy an smg and hold mouse 1 and kill them all, ezpz

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I have one Surface Pro 6 i5

That's probably fine, right

They are doing some machine learning stuff on mobile phones and it blows my mind.

I heard a cool story about a program designed to allow African farmers to take pictures of their cassava crops, and it will tell them whether or not it thinks the crop is sick AND show them the features it's identifying as possibly diseased, so they get more experience and also can kill problem crops before the diseases spread.

Granted, they're not TRAINING it, so it's a simple feed-forward pass, but still!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Traktor's new controller has motorized platters, which historically I haven't had interest in, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K53uSP-Ej4Q&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I didn't think the TTK in Apex Legends was that bad.

Just went through a phase of blackout in blops4 where they added armor repair but didn't nerf level 3 armor (something like 50% damage reduction and it is the only armor that offers head protection) and hoo boy was that a bad time.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't mind a grind toward things

what i can't abide is a game that takes away my progress and calls that difficulty

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

The lethality of everything, and close quarters also means you can do stuff like covering fire and baiting and fakes and stuff.

I get why this game is still around and huge, there is a lot of depth to it beyond "buy awp, point and click"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    friendly fire is an underrated thing, in coop games

I have fond memories of all the umpteen hours of halo coop we played, and how our working together to save the galaxy was always a tenuous alliance at best.

we're attacking in perfect sync, like a beautiful duet, but then one of us just happens to have their head in the other's sights and the temptation is too high and then it devolves into clones of master chief killing each other for like ten minutes

EDIT: and each of them spawn with grenades and all of the grenades remain on the ground and then both of us die in a gigantic series of explosions from forty grenades and we reload at the previous checkpoint

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Me3 is probably the most fun coop multi I played, and I chased that experience for a while. The other one would be L4D2.

The main gripe I have with ME3 is that all the challenge was in wave 8-10+Extraction. There was so much slow ramp up in each map.

Also it pretty much is the introduction of lootboxes into AAA games. (I don't know how it compares to FIFA, but it's gotta be close).
    And I remember some people never getting the weapon they want.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.