Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Looting is the best part of battle royale games.

Getting all the best guns with all the best attachments and the largest backpack ohhhhh fuck yeah

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the last time I played anyone online at anything was on the last generation, maybe Halo 4 a couple of years after it launched. I really enjoyed multiplayer but someone snuck into my room one day and surgically removed the bit of me that had any appetite for it.

Though I suppose getting invaded in soulslike games technically counts as a multiplayer experience.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think the last time I played anyone online at anything was on the last generation, maybe Halo 4 a couple of years after it launched. I really enjoyed multiplayer but someone snuck into my room one day and surgically removed the bit of me that had any appetite for it.

Though I suppose getting invaded in soulslike games technically counts as a multiplayer experience.

If you just roll over and die like a dog i dont think it counts

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

works in real life too

• Options

I think the number of times I've been invaded and killed in Souls games is roughly equal to the number of times the invader has fallen off a bridge to their death or couldn't find me because I hid behind a tree until they left in abject disgust.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I find that multiplayer always feels like this big stressful undertaking and then you do it and it's lighter and more fun than you remembered

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Personally I enjoy co-op and multiplayer as a second option for FPS. Destiny 2 was fun for a while

Meanwhile I'm still working on forcing this toothpaste back into its tube

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I think the number of times I've been invaded and killed in Souls games is roughly equal to the number of times the invader has fallen off a bridge to their death or couldn't find me because I hid behind a tree until they left in abject disgust.

I admit with some small amount of shame that I reflexively cast Chameleon when I see that You've Been Invaded message.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I find that multiplayer always feels like this big stressful undertaking and then you do it and it's lighter and more fun than you remembered

There was a period of time where playing with people was new and exciting and everyone was super into it and helpful because it was new.

Now it's in everything and everyone's a dick because who cares, fuck you. I think this is why there's a resurgence of single player games. However a good solution is to just be able to play with personal friends instead of random fuckheads.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

This is probably true. Added to my lack of appetite is the fact that I only play on PS4 and usually a couple of years after the game has come out, which makes most MP games wastelands full of hollow-eyed gankers with empty lives.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    VishNub wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn

VishNub top row third cup will likely disassemble everyone else (though second row most right might put up a fight, given claw size)

I'm also willing to bet the middle ones are cuddly and blind.

(I like the black and white ones at (2,2))

I assume those are all different species? And you can you ID them on sight?

o_O

There are some color morphs within species, and diet and such can change coloration. I suspect that the three on the right top and the one orange one to the left of that are all the same species, as is second to last row and last row first column, and so are the rest on the last row. Middle two look like blind cave species. First two are probably same species, two on the left on second and third row are the same species.

So, no, I can't ID them on sight, but I can tell you stuff about them. I can tell who'd win because size :P

(and because the two I said would win are of a particularly aggressive clade and the only others of similar size, the black white ones, are either of a species with pitiful weak claws or are females, which isn't a huge handicap except that during breeding season the males molt to switch to enormous unwieldy claws for fighting)

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

There was a period of time where playing with people was new and exciting and everyone was super into it and helpful because it was new.

Now it's in everything and everyone's a dick because who cares, fuck you. I think this is why there's a resurgence of single player games. However a good solution is to just be able to play with personal friends instead of random fuckheads.

the older I get the more I appreciate private servers and co-oping with friends

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    I really just want games like Left 4 Dead in terms of co-op.

Challenging, replayable maps of significant length, no loot grind, strong co-op design from the ground up. Ideally add more weapon variety and some neat character abilities

Make it free to play or add micros or whatever, sure, as long as it's cosmetic stuff (which is great! I'll buy some, sure!). Make new maps and characters that I have to buy, sure. But just give me some good, challenging co-op gun play that people can just play with each other.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I would much rather queue with people and have a regular group, but no one wants to play CS:GO with me.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Challenging, replayable maps of significant length, no loot grind, strong co-op design from the ground up. Ideally add more weapon variety and some neat character abilities

Make it free to play or add micros or whatever, sure, as long as it's cosmetic stuff (which is great! I'll buy some, sure!). Make new maps and characters that I have to buy, sure. But just give me some good, challenging co-op gun play that people can just play with each other.

vermintide kinda killed my interest in left 4 dead type gameplay entirely

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    and a lot of why apex legends disinterests me is that it seems to be going for much more of a match based shooter type thing, than PUBG's more extended thing, and I'm still just so utterly bored with match based shooters

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Vermintide was apparently bad. But it doesn't have to be that style of gameplay, just that model.

Basically mini-campaigns with difficulty levels and procedural enemy/gear, so replaying is fun and challenging

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shivahn

VishNub top row third cup will likely disassemble everyone else (though second row most right might put up a fight, given claw size)

o_O

There are some color morphs within species, and diet and such can change coloration. I suspect that the three on the right top and the one orange one to the left of that are all the same species, as is second to last row and last row first column, and so are the rest on the last row. Middle two look like blind cave species. First two are probably same species, two on the left on second and third row are the same species.

So, no, I can't ID them on sight, but I can tell you stuff about them. I can tell who'd win because size :P

(and because the two I said would win are of a particularly aggressive clade and the only others of similar size, the black white ones, are either of a species with pitiful weak claws or are females, which isn't a huge handicap except that during breeding season the males molt to switch to enormous unwieldy claws for fighting)

As is proper.

VishNub on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love breeding season because if you take the males out of water then stand by them they will do the classic claws-up spread, but outside of water their buoyancy is fucked and their claws are some peacock shit and so they will fall over sideways if they get the slightest bit off center.

• Options
    ME3 was maybe my favourite MP game, largely because of the frequent sessions with PA folks.

• Options

I've gotten the itch to attempt an small rpg game but I know I'll get the basics of the system built, get bored with it, then give up. I still have like 6 other projects I started and like 1/10th of the way through.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

*cough* Vermintide 2 is in this month's Humble Bundle. *cough*

• Options
    I'd also enjoy a dedicated horde mode game like ME3 yeah

That was a lot of fun

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I don't think I've played MP with chat folk for like four years

Curse the death of gaming monoculture

Eddy on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah ME3 was probably the last game that I played any significant amount of multiplayer in.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Shivahn

o_O

As is proper.

Except that when pregnant, the females go from winning like a little less than half their fights to basically all of them, for two main reasons:

1) they can't escape from danger easily because they would lose their eggs if they tried to swim
    2) fuck you

• Options
    I thought this reaction would be easy, but it is turning out to be very much not so.

I know what's going wrong (it's doing a transesterification with the primary acetate instead of the ester formation I want), but I don't know how to fix it.

Hmmmm.

• Options
    Making games is hard and having ideas for games is easy

I have design docs for a turn based squad tactics game, with suppression and etc, but will I ever make it or get other people to help? I dunno

Designing AI for that shit is wild

• Options
    Shivahn

o_O

As is proper.

Except that when pregnant, the females go from winning like a little less than half their fights to basically all of them, for two main reasons:

1) they can't escape from danger easily because they would lose their eggs if they tried to swim
    2) fuck you

Are they fighting males (of the same? different?) species?

• Options
    Also I'm glad you have statistics on crayfish fighting ability by season.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else here play the DMC5 demo?

It's been so long since I played one of these that I forgot about the non-toggle lock on button.

Man... I really really don't like that.

Everything else was good but just holding R1 so frequently felt weird and also cramped the shit out of my hand.

It would feel so much better if there was a toggle option imo.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I really enjoyed vermintide

If they did a team deathmatch or multi based off of Necromunda I think it'd do well

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Plan: Begin dieting in earnest today.

Other Plan: Use impending 5 day break from work to do another revision on book, potentially start other story, look for contests to enter.

Third Plan: Probably also play a lot of video games

Current Plan: Finish work day and maybe try to stream magic tonight although who knows if my ISP will cooperate with that since it shit the bed last night. They're sending someone out on wednesday to check into my local connection stuff and then escalate if they can't find a problem. So that sucks since I'm pretty sure there's no local problem, but at least they'll start there and then move it up the chain I hope.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I don't think I've played MP with chat folk for like four years

Curse the death of gaming monoculture

I haven't played a multiplayer game with any friends in a few years and that makes me pretty sad.

• Options
    Did anyone else here play the DMC5 demo?

It's been so long since I played one of these that I forgot about the non-toggle lock on button.

Man... I really really don't like that.

Everything else was good but just holding R1 so frequently felt weird and also cramped the shit out of my hand.

It would feel so much better if there was a toggle option imo.

When Z-Targeting was invented, toggle was considered baby mode and hold was considered pro

I now see the accessibility issues

• Options
    Butts

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

What about the skippy factor though

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Making games is hard and having ideas for games is easy

I have design docs for a turn based squad tactics game, with suppression and etc, but will I ever make it or get other people to help? I dunno

Designing AI for that shit is wild

I always feel like my biggest block is assets and shit. It's hard to visualize concepts when you're using cubes and pyramids for everything, or even really cheap free store assets.

bowen on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Monthly reminder: bring back community servers, game designers.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.