As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Metz you’re a spokanite? I’ve been preaching to these silly geese about the area for a while as part of my plan to turn the 5th blue but I guess they like overpaying for housing and having lousy traffic.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I am! Lived here a couple times, this one seems to be sticking. Mostly. But yeah my apartment is only like 675 a month it's dope.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I used to work just north of Ferndale, almost moved up there. Happy where I am, but there are days Bham traffic makes me want to move

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I also used to live in an RV park in Bellevue with my husband, our buddy Jeremy and three cats, then I lived in my buddy James' garage in Renton. Punk rock lifestyyyyyyle (it was fuckin awful and I almost killed everyone.)

My history with this state is complex. My grandpa's from Walla Walla Walla actually! Him and his best friend got arrested for stumbling down the literal middle of main street, at 1 pm, on a Monday, blind ass drunk. They were in 3rf grade at the time. This was the same year my grandpa accidentally shot a hole in the floor of the sheriff's office.

• Options
    My dad grew up in the tricities and Spokane and then got a job in the town near where I live north of Spokane and I’ve lived here the whole time except for when I was at WSU.

Couple of my uncles almost burned down Richland apparently back in the 60s.

Grandpa and his brothers used to car-tow each other on waterskis in the irrigation canals down around Yakima apparently.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    My dad grew up in the tricities and Spokane and then got a job in the town near where I live north of Spokane and I’ve lived here the whole time except for when I was at WSU.

Couple of my uncles almost burned down Richland apparently back in the 60s.

Grandpa and his brothers used to car-tow each other on waterskis in the irrigation canals down around Yakima apparently.

I like this area. I love the mountains, I love the rain. My dad used to live up in Nine Mile and that'd be nice until you have to drive to town for groceries or whatever.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I've always lived in the South Puget Sound area, so I've just never strongly considered moving. I have a job, I know all the back roads, I'm close to family. My wife and I joke about moving to Sweden, but I don't know that I could really give up the PNW.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I've always lived in the South Puget Sound area, so I've just never strongly considered moving. I have a job, I know all the back roads, I'm close to family. My wife and I joke about moving to Sweden, but I don't know that I could really give up the PNW.

Just move to Poulsbo. All the Norwegian flavor, without leaving the PNW!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

This, very much this. I'm trying to move back to Washington in the next 6 months and the ideal is no further North than Tacoma. Tumwater would be great but unless I go state there's not a lot of software jobs down there.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I used to fantasize about living somewhere north of Bellingham and getting Canucks season tickets, but if my wife and I ever leave Seattle we'll probably be heading out of state. My wife went to college at Western and didn't love it, so Bellingham is out. Plus she's never lived outside of Washington and that has started to bother her now that she's in the back half of her 30s. Dunno where we'd go, though. There are a lot of places we'd be interested to try, but climate change is going to make most of them damn near uninhabitable in the next 20 years, and the rest have real estate markets that are nearly as brutal as Seattle's.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I lived in Port Angeles when I was wee. We used to swim in the ocean until our lips started turning blue. I heard that little town went through a rough patch in the last 20 years or so tho.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

Sydney is a reporter for KUOW, and jenny durkan is our lousy mayor

Sydney has done excellent reporting for a few outlets here in Seattle, and if she says something or drops a big story, it's extremely worth paying attention to.

yeah she and Heidi Groover were the last two reasons I would check in with the Stranger

now that they have anointed a successor to Dan Savage's shithead throne in the form of Katie Herzog, I don't see much reason to read the paper anymore

I follow Mudede on twitter, that's all I need from them now

Shorty on
  • Options

I grew up in Snohomish county, in a few places along that stretch of highway 9 with a reputation for boredom and crackheads, and when I finally escaped to Seattle I was certain I'd never want to move back

I still don't, not really, but a couple winters ago I was out in Issaquah, housesitting for some people, and seeing those rolling hills, covered in trees and steam fog, made me heartsick for Granite Falls in a way that caught me really off guard

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I grew up in Snohomish county, in a few places along that stretch of highway 9 with a reputation for boredom and crackheads, and when I finally escaped to Seattle I was certain I'd never want to move back

I still don't, not really, but a couple winters ago I was out in Issaquah, housesitting for some people, and seeing those rolling hills, covered in trees and steam fog, made me heartsick for Granite Falls in a way that caught me really off guard

When I visit my Aunt’s place in Sumner I feel the same. We almost definitely won’t live there but living at the top of the valley is tempting sometimes.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    you're at all proactive about being social
    heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif
    It sure would suck to be moving to Seattle in a month and the only comments for it are grim and depressing.
    Hope you're not a fan of metal music cause we keep losing venues :rotate:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    edit: nm!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I live in Lake Tapps and the only advantage, besides having to pay nothing in terms of rent, is that when a cataclysm takes out half of Western Washington it'll still be here.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Metz you’re a spokanite? I’ve been preaching to these silly geese about the area for a while as part of my plan to turn the 5th blue but I guess they like overpaying for housing and having lousy traffic.

Having cool restaurants, not having to worry about getting shived for someones daily meth, being 300 miles from my brother. All useful things to me Knit!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Having cool restaurants, not having to worry about getting shived for someones daily meth, being 300 miles from my brother. All useful things to me Knit!

from what my dad and gram have told me, spokane has come a pretty long way in the past few years! minus the recession of course, but that was everywhere.

• Options

from what my dad and gram have told me, spokane has come a pretty long way in the past few years! minus the recession of course, but that was everywhere.

Really for me its the climate. Spokane gets the extremes way more than we do on the coast.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've found it to be pleasantly temperate after my time in Wyoming, frankly. 100 in the summer, -60 in the winter, no thanks.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I grew up in Edmonds (the shitty highway 99 part, not the nice waterfront area), and after a brief work-abroad program I'm in a North Seattle 1 bedroom apartment with wife and toddler. We want to own property but I don't think it's going to happen at this point since we like urban life too much. We are currently considering leaving the state to a less neo-liberal city, probably Portland.

• Options
    I didnt think anyone actually used that term outside of rose twitter

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't heard neoliberal since everyone realized it just means "liberal" and what they actually want are leftists.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I mean its a real word that means a real thing

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I haven't heard neoliberal since everyone realized it just means "liberal" and what they actually want are leftists.

It doesn't, is the thing.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    OH SHIT SON!

So I have no doubt our governor will be a nothing blip in the democratic primary, but I'm glad someone in that primary is focused on climate change specifically and how we need to direly do something about it. Even if its Inslee.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    How is Lynwood? My wife interviewed for a job that would have her working around there somewhere, but she looked at a crime report and had second thoughts.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    How is Lynwood? My wife interviewed for a job that would have her working around there somewhere, but she looked at a crime report and had second thoughts.

My sister-in-law lives up around there, and I don't believe they've ever had problems. I assume its one of those "just stay out of certain area and you'll be fine" things. I think its basically the farther away from Everett you are, the better.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Artereis wrote: »
    My sister-in-law lives up around there, and I don't believe they've ever had problems. I assume its one of those "just stay out of certain area and you'll be fine" things. I think its basically the farther away from Everett you are, the better.

I live up there (right along the 164th Street arterial), and aside from street racers, drivers who don't know how to use traffic circles, the usual drug paraphernalia that comes from any city of a certain size, and the occasional hate crime, things are pretty okay. I don't feel particularly threatened or in danger any more than I'd feel in any other city or rural environment.

And that's coming from somebody who has a .45 slug embedded in his garage wall (that was a fun way to call it a night when that happened). The way I see it, random acts of violence can happen pretty much anywhere when there are more than a handful of people around.

EDIT - oh, and the homeless are starting to migrate to the area. Just thought I'd toss that out there with as little value assessment attached.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Heh, I've met Steve Hobbs a few times, he's a cool dude.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Lynnwood is a fairly normal suburb, you've got the Alderwood Mall, you've got the red light camera'd lights that will tag you for going through a yellow... They have a costco there. I want to say Weird Al made fun of it in a song once, its coo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lynnwood is a fairly normal suburb, you've got the Alderwood Mall, you've got the red light camera'd lights that will tag you for going through a yellow... They have a costco there. I want to say Weird Al made fun of it in a song once, its coo.

Most of those have been removed. There are a few lingering around...but they're not as present as they were when I first moved here.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Most of those have been removed. There are a few lingering around...but they're not as present as they were when I first moved here.

They aren't? Man they used to be terrifying.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I want to say Weird Al made fun of it in a song once, its coo.

That was for Lynnwood, California. Sadly the Washington Lynnwood is not awesome enough to get Al's notice.

• Options
    Oh man...all this talk of Seattle and the neighborhoods surrounding has got me in the mood for some classic regional humor.

Not sure if it's okay to link it, but Almost Live!'s Bob Nelson (awesome guy...ran into him at Sea-Tac and just had to shake his hand) did a Seattle-themed homage to Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A Changing". I have to admit, it made me sadly nostalgic.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    all of the suburbs of seattle are basically the same, i'd say

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, disagree. I definitely see unique flavors in some places. But there is definitely a lot of homogeny out there and its growing.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Lynnwood has some of the absolute best pizza I've ever eaten, at Sparta's on 99

This discussion has been closed.