Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ironiawesome?

I guess someone asked Jay Inslee about Trump's dumb executive order protecting monuments and he dropped the bomb "he cares more about dead confederates than live americans."

Fuck it. I want Inslee, and everyone else famous in Washington State to continue
    to draw that Orange fuckheads ire!

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Found out this week my old employer is shutting down effective immediately so that’s at least 150 middle class jobs in the state’s poorest county just gone like that.

My mom (she’s retired from there) got a call that tneyre stopping medical coverage at the end of the month.

@Ringo why on earth would you awesome this

Probably a mobile misclick, that is not awesome

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Today is of course the day the mayor chose to send crew to tear down the CHOP, so we may have a rough weekend ahead.

It is now the next day, did anything come of this?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Today is of course the day the mayor chose to send crew to tear down the CHOP, so we may have a rough weekend ahead.

It is now the next day, did anything come of this?

It seems like resistance is working and supposedly the East Precinct will remain abandoned (but we're dealing with a pair of liars so...): https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2020/06/some-occupiers-make-a-stand-others-prepare-for-exit-from-chop-as-city-moves-in-to-clear-parts-of-capitol-hill-protest-zone/

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm seeing on the tweets Sascha Baron Cohen infiltrated a local hate group today. Hilariously after he got away from these brave patriots he switched disguises and came back to be a part of their "interviews" about what happened.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    It's true and from the article, it sounds f'ing hilarious.
    In one video from the rally, Baron Cohen took the guise of a bluegrass artist and sang, “Obama, what we gonna do? Inject him with the Wuhan flu. Hillary Clinton, what we gonna do? Lock her up like we used to do. Fauci don’t know his head from his ass. He must be smoking grass. I ain’t lying, it ain’t no jokes. Corona is a liberal hoax. Dr. Fauci, what we gonna do? Inject him with the Wuhan flu. WHO, what we gonna do? Chop ’em up like the Saudis do,” with some in the crowd gleefully singing along.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    In one video from the rally, Baron Cohen took the guise of a bluegrass artist and sang, “Obama, what we gonna do? Inject him with the Wuhan flu. Hillary Clinton, what we gonna do? Lock her up like we used to do. Fauci don’t know his head from his ass. He must be smoking grass. I ain’t lying, it ain’t no jokes. Corona is a liberal hoax. Dr. Fauci, what we gonna do? Inject him with the Wuhan flu. WHO, what we gonna do? Chop ’em up like the Saudis do,” with some in the crowd gleefully singing along.

Yeah the racists are trying to say they were plants and that these brave men didn't sing along with disgusting lyrics endorsing their shitty garbage, but we have video assholes we can hear.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

This is just a trump tweet tho

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The problem with satire like that is people have to actually understand that it’s satire otherwise you’re just being an asshole

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Apparently CHOP security opened fire on two people in a car last night. One was killed. Supposedly a similar car had been driving around shooting out the windows or something. As far as I have heard, it remains to be seen if it was the same vehicle or not.

I haven't been able to confirm anything above, though. Does anyone have more info?

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Just got my ballot and-

rij2qy5jtmfp.jpeg

I would like to speak with the manager, please.

Quid on
  • Options
    There are some things that will always remain constant, goodspaceguy being on the governor ballot is one of those things.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Are those all real people

• Options
    Are those all real people

The fun of a jungle primary. Really it'll come down to Inslee and Eyeman.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Just got my ballot and-

rij2qy5jtmfp.jpeg

I would like to speak with the manager, please.

And this is why jungle "primaries" are stupid.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This is not a good look. If those people were actually providing “security” it seems they’re potentially just as unaccountable and trigger happy as cops. If they weren’t, and this is just more random violence...well that’s a problem too. One shooting can be hand-waved as normal baseline violence...shootings aren’t unheard of in the area. Two this close together starts to make the CHOP look like a problem.

Of course, my first thought is we traded two deaths for a barrage of gas and less-lethal ammo nightly, which was eventually going to kill somebody anyway. If it already hadn’t, but I believe in Seattle it hadn’t yet. So on the net, sadly, it’s not clear that SPD is the better alternative. But as always random violence turns the narrative in ways that government sanctioned violence...even completely unjustified government sanctioned violence...doesn’t.

Just...fuck.

• Options
    I want to say this is the 4th? Shooting associated with Chop, but I can't confirm those numbers specifically.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm seeing reports from folks on twitter that the two guys in the white cherokee were shot by CHOP security because they attempted a drive-by

so like, maybe hold off on judging it for now

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I mean no, that's still bad?

Like we don't want police shooting at people suspected of crimes, or at moving vehicles in particular.

Why should we be ok with this?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Like we don't want police shooting at people suspected of crimes, or at moving vehicles in particular.

I'm not happy there was a shooting but Im glad that a community that the police didnt want to protect has taken measures to protect itself. Capitol Hill has become a Thing for the militant right and they knew something like this would happen.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    What're they supposed to use, harsh language?

• Options

I'm not happy there was a shooting but Im glad that a community that the police didnt want to protect has taken measures to protect itself. Capitol Hill has become a Thing for the militant right and they knew something like this would happen.

Ok but do we want police or not?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Ok but do we want police or not?

I dont understand how the question relates to the point

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm seeing reports from folks on twitter that the two guys in the white cherokee were shot by CHOP security because they attempted a drive-by

so like, maybe hold off on judging it for now

Especially after a far right wing Ironworker was caught shooting protestors the day after CHAZ/CHOP was formed.

I know it is frowned upon, but I don't blame CHOP for getting armed security, since it's a know fact that White Supremacists are in the Police ranks and it has been made, since the Orange Fucker became President, that it was now A Okay for them to shoot, "White Race traitors" and anyone not resembling Aryans now.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The police have historically done very little to stop right-wing violence, why should we expect them to now?

edit: to be clear, a human being firing a gun at another human being under basically any circumstance is filed under "Things I Wish Never Happened Anywhere Ever" and i think we can all totally agree with that! but at some point you cannot engage in pacifism against an opponent that is freely allowed to use violence and has no conscientious or ethical qualms about doing so.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    I'm saying a situation where self-appointed "security" is shooting at people is no better than the police doing it.

• Options
    I'm saying a situation where self-appointed "security" is shooting at people is no better than the police doing it.

Its better than being unguarded sheep while the wolves are prowling.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

the police use unrestrained violence against ethnic minorities and the poor as part of a centuries-old structure of systemic racism and oppression, police violence is inherently different from this type of situation in my opinion, especially given the fact that these makeshift security personnel aren't a part of any authoritarian power structure as far as i'm aware. again, how does one protect themselves from armed violence in the absence of reliable state protection? historically, vulnerable communities have armed themselves. see the deacons for defense and justice or the battle of hayes pond wherein armed native american people fought the KKK.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

The police didn't have to leave. They didn't have to get so butt hurt over being asked not to fucking murder people that they packed up and abandoned their jobs.

They chose that, so now CHOP has to figure out what to do with the consequences of those actions. If people are going to continually attempt shootings, they have a right to defend themselves. The suspects in the SUV fired at people, left and then came back before they were fired upon. There is every reason to consider that self defense, and to assume that them returning was in the aims of creating more casualties.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

Not when they're actively being shot at. I'm perfectly fine with armed security firing back when fired upon, assuming they take precautions to prevent collateral damage and innocent lives. So far it looks like that's what's happened: armed security disabled the shooters in their vehicle with sharpshooting and then medics immediately treated them and got them to a hospital. If were police instead of armed security, they would have sprayed the car down with dozens of bullets, potentially harming people nearby, then left them to rot in the car for a while before even attempting any sort of medical aid.

• Options
    It's also important to remember that we are in uncharted waters here. The social contract has broken down, maybe not totally and maybe not in like a crazy-ass Mad Max metal hockey masks and water wars type way, but regardless society has fractured. And when these things happen, when the trust in our institutions and the sense of reliability and stability that those institutions had begins to erode and break down, you inevitably see communities take their safety and well-being into their own hands. To condemn them for doing so in the absence of any other option seems impulsive.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I mean that’s literally a David Grossman training line.

Were the guys that opened fire CHOP security or not? Regardless of the stated answer, how do we know? How do we verify? Was anybody filming them to ensure they were acting appropriately? Is there video of the “attempted drive by?” If no shots were fired from the vehicle when the CHOP security (or not CHOP security) opened fire, how did they know it was an attempted drive by? Was this a proper use of force? Who the hell was even involved, on both sides of it?

These are all questions we would be asking of a police shooting, and we damn well need to ask the same here. Otherwise we’ve potentially replaced the police with something even less accountable. Or more violent. Or both.

I hope I don’t need to bend over backwards to establish myself as an ally here. I’m coming from a place of support. But man, if this doesn’t look like a serious problem then I don’t know what to tell you.

Edit: And I fully understand that the answers to all these questions may come throughout the day. But we better hope that they’re good answers.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    they are a bunch of old, "centrist" (in the modern american sense of the word. ie: ignorant, conservative and afflicted with incurable whataboutism and both-sides-are-the-same-pox) but the seattle times I think is a good indicator of what a very large chunk (at least a plurality if not majority) of people in the greater seattle area think.

and if you look at the trends in what they have been writing about over the last few weeks then Durkan and Best have totally outplayed the protestors. once the police pulled back out of the east precinct the focus in the reporting shifted from the nightly unrestrained police brutality (and even the seattle times was very anti-police in their reporting as long as that was happening) to the rapidly escalating internal bickering and seeming pointlessness of CHOP.

i don't think there will be any further progress on any of the goals of the protests beyond what was won prior to the police withdrawal. I don't think peaceful CHOP had any impact at all on progress towards those goals. IE: 5% reduction in police budget, Durkan still firmly in office, restrictions in use of chemical weapons that are winding their way through courts and the legislature etc...

edit: I think there is a small chance the east precinct itself might end up being converted to another purpose but I think the overwhelming likelihood is it goes back to being a police station

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Were the guys that opened fire CHOP security or not? Regardless of the stated answer, how do we know? How do we verify? Was anybody filming them to ensure they were acting appropriately? Is there video of the “attempted drive by?” If no shots were fired from the vehicle when the CHOP security (or not CHOP security) opened fire, how did they know it was an attempted drive by? Was this a proper use of force? Who the hell was even involved, on both sides of it?

These are all questions we would be asking of a police shooting, and we damn well need to ask the same here. Otherwise we’ve potentially replaced the police with something even less accountable. Or more violent. Or both.

I hope I don’t need to bend over backwards to establish myself as an ally here. I’m coming from a place of support. But man, if this doesn’t look like a serious problem then I don’t know what to tell you.

Edit: And I fully understand that the answers to all these questions may come throughout the day. But we better hope that they’re good answers.

Yes Id like to know those things too but it doesnt change at the end of the day what the options are. The police have abandoned a community firmly in the sights of a national white supremacist movement. Their options are then to either take measures to protect themselves from violent men or to not so so.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Yes Id like to know those things too but it doesnt change at the end of the day what the options are. The police have abandoned a community firmly in the sights of a national white supremacist movement. Their options are then to either take measures to protect themselves from violent men or to not so so.

I think it's an important point that the people in CHOP, especially now, aren't the community that actually lives in the area. That area has been extremely heavily gentrified over the last 20 years and is now a super-high-rent part of town full of tech workers.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I think it's an important point that the people in CHOP, especially now, aren't the community that actually lives in the area. That area has been extremely heavily gentrified over the last 20 years and is now a super-high-rent part of town full of tech workers.

Im kind of confused by this. Yeah the community has changed over 20 years, maybe for the better or worse, but the people who live there now are the community.

Im very familiar with the neighborhood.

Edit: oh I think when I said community you took that to mean like african americans and what not but I meant the community as a literal physical geographic group of people.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    they are a bunch of old, "centrist" (in the modern american sense of the word. ie: ignorant, conservative and afflicted with incurable whataboutism and both-sides-are-the-same-pox) but the seattle times I think is a good indicator of what a very large chunk (at least a plurality if not majority) of people in the greater seattle area think.

and if you look at the trends in what they have been writing about over the last few weeks then Durkan and Best have totally outplayed the protestors. once the police pulled back out of the east precinct the focus in the reporting shifted from the nightly unrestrained police brutality (and even the seattle times was very anti-police in their reporting as long as that was happening) to the rapidly escalating internal bickering and seeming pointlessness of CHOP.

i don't think there will be any further progress on any of the goals of the protests beyond what was won prior to the police withdrawal. I don't think peaceful CHOP had any impact at all on progress towards those goals. IE: 5% reduction in police budget, Durkan still firmly in office, restrictions in use of chemical weapons that are winding their way through courts and the legislature etc...

edit: I think there is a small chance the east precinct itself might end up being converted to another purpose but I think the overwhelming likelihood is it goes back to being a police station

Not saying much about the rest of the post because I don’t know, but it isn’t exactly rocket surgery to know that all the cops had to do to change the narrative was not commit police brutality and yet most PDs are still mashing the “escalate” button

• Options

Not saying much about the rest of the post because I don’t know, but it isn’t exactly rocket surgery to know that all the cops had to do to change the narrative was not commit police brutality and yet most PDs are still mashing the “escalate” button

yeah it is really a damning comment on the PDs in most of the country that they can't de-escalate even though that would cause the news cycle to quickly move on and allow them to start clawing back the reforms behind the scenes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

A lot of what you are saying is the exact reasoning right wingers use in brandishing weapons in their communities as well. And I thought CHOP kicked out the police wasn't that the whole point? They weren't wanted there any longer and its now under community control?

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.