As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    If Sawant is saying the incorrect thing, what is the correct thing she should be saying instead, and why is that more correct?

That the people who shot the 16 year old should be investigated for why they did what they did and that black lives matter? Like her comment glossed over the dead 16 year old pretty expertly when this whole protest originally was about the loss of black lives and how that should matter.

Like in the specific, in the now, there is a 16 year old black person who lost his life and his killers have not been identified, and she is allied with the people who are alleged to have killed him.

So... protest private citizens instead of government institutions?

I can do both. I don't have to excuse one group because another group is bad or worse. What happened yesterday morning has still not been successfully explained. And we still don't know who killed the young man or why a 16 year old is dead.

Like there is also an unexplained aspect that the 14 year old who lived was brought there by a private party, but the 16 year old was brought by the fire department later, why the discrepency? Why was one person brought one way and another by the fire department? Did they leave the 16 year old to die after the shooting? We don't know, and I want fucking answers beyond "capitalism."

It would be disastrous for BLM/CHOP/the entire point of the protests for the one established political presence to drop all political pressure to focus on one shooting, no matter how tragic.

Ahh so this particular life doesn't matter then? Ok cool at least you admit that.

dude fuck OFF

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    If Sawant is saying the incorrect thing, what is the correct thing she should be saying instead, and why is that more correct?

That the people who shot the 16 year old should be investigated for why they did what they did and that black lives matter? Like her comment glossed over the dead 16 year old pretty expertly when this whole protest originally was about the loss of black lives and how that should matter.

Like in the specific, in the now, there is a 16 year old black person who lost his life and his killers have not been identified, and she is allied with the people who are alleged to have killed him.

I can do both. I don't have to excuse one group because another group is bad or worse. What happened yesterday morning has still not been successfully explained. And we still don't know who killed the young man or why a 16 year old is dead.

Like there is also an unexplained aspect that the 14 year old who lived was brought there by a private party, but the 16 year old was brought by the fire department later, why the discrepency? Why was one person brought one way and another by the fire department? Did they leave the 16 year old to die after the shooting? We don't know, and I want fucking answers beyond "capitalism."

It would be disastrous for BLM/CHOP/the entire point of the protests for the one established political presence to drop all political pressure to focus on one shooting, no matter how tragic.

Ahh so this particular life doesn't matter then? Ok cool at least you admit that.

What is she supposed to do? Start gathering clues? I can't believe Councilwomen Sawant hasnt dusted the car for fingerprints yet.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

What is she supposed to do? Start gathering clues?

To bring it back, I think folks wanted better than a “stock Sawant answer” to this tragedy...even though there’s definitely a link between her beefs with capitalism and the conditions that lead to the CHOP that lead to this shooting, these folks wanted a better, more “immediate” response from one of their council people

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Like you want answers about the shooting, cool so do I. The people to yell at about that are currently pouting and generally refusing to do their job because they werent allowed to beat citizens senseless every night.

Sawants job is to vote on stuff and push for political change that she wants to see. Not investigate shootings.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    George Floyd was one death an example of years of black people being murdered by authorities. So is this 16 year old.

Why would it be disastrous to treat his life like it had meaning and that his death should not have happened. Why can the people of CHOP not give us answers why this young man was murdered? Why should we as a society accept that their existence is important but his life was not?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think its pretty silly to conflate the political ramifications and necessary course of action between a system of rampant police abuse and what may be a murder committed by a citizen during a period of social collapse.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This really just feels like whataboutism.

Unarmed detectives should be asking questions to identify the culprit. That's their job.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

What is she supposed to do? Start gathering clues? I can't believe Councilwomen Sawant hasnt dusted the car for fingerprints yet.

I dunno talk to her allies and figure out why people at CHOP shot and killed the young man? Why can't the security people who opened fire come forward and tell us why they did it? They still haven't been identified. Has anyone from CHOP come forward to explain what happened that night?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I dunno talk to her allies and figure out why people at CHOP shot and killed the young man? Why can't the security people who opened fire come forward and tell us why they did it? They still haven't been identified. Has anyone from CHOP come forward to explain what happened that night?

She seems to currently be prioritizing her activism against a system of state spnosored abuse and murder. Im fine with that.

Im not sure why its mysterious that people in CHOP arent handing themselves or their compatriots over to the police that were attacking them every night for weeks.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Annnnd we've hit disingenuous. While I do believe it is entirely fair to point out that this shooting has been troublingly de-emphasized, this is just about the least-charitable possible way to frame the situation or anyone here and you should not do this.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Within a day of the CHOP shooting on the 20th, Sawant issued a lengthy statement demanding an investigation.

It honestly doesn't seem unreasonable to expect something similar here.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I think regardless of your feelings on the intersection of race and class, "just after the protestors shot a black kid" is not the time to say "and by the way, capitalism!" You may have a point, you may be correct, with room given for you know, political discussion and such.

Still a dick move, dude. Someone asks about the kid, someone doesn't even ask about the kid, you say something about the kid. And that's it. Because at the moment, people aren't thinking about "the class struggle", they're thinking about "the dead guy", and the proximate cause of "dead guy" is not "capitalism". It is "someone with a rifle".

I mean obviously she can't solve shit. She can, however, be a politician and say nice things to make people feel better about the awful shit that just happened, because there are people who do not give a single fuck about her feelings on capitalism right now.

Edit: Like, we give "now is not the time" a load of deserved shit, but sometimes... Maybe after an initial statement or whatever, a tasteful while later, you say "in the wake of the tragic events of the other day... blah blah ... we must redouble our efforts to gain <list of shit> to help ensure this kind of tragedy is never repeated".

You know? Just read the room, as the saying goes. You gonna tell someone's parent "actually, the problem is capitalism"? (Yes I know this is hyperbolic, the point is timing and sensitivity here.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Within a day of the CHOP shooting on the 20th, Sawant issued a lengthy statement demanding an investigation.

Her statement on twitter called the killing tragic and said it underscores the need to resolve the situation by defunding the police, addressing housing, release protesters, and other demands so that society can get back to something more like regular order.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    dporowski wrote: »
    I think regardless of your feelings on the intersection of race and class, "just after the protestors shot a black kid" is not the time to say "and by the way, capitalism!" You may have a point, you may be correct, with room given for you know, political discussion and such.

Still a dick move, dude. Someone asks about the kid, someone doesn't even ask about the kid, you say something about the kid. And that's it. Because at the moment, people aren't thinking about "the class struggle", they're thinking about "the dead guy", and the proximate cause of "dead guy" is not "capitalism". It is "someone with a rifle".

I mean obviously she can't solve shit. She can, however, be a politician and say nice things to make people feel better about the awful shit that just happened, because there are people who do not give a single fuck about her feelings on capitalism right now.

This is not “and by the way, capitalism”, this is the whole reason CHOP formed:

admanb on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah pretty much is, dude. The link between these items exists only in the heads of her, maybe you, and everyone who already agrees with her.

People like me, however, are left going "... so your solution to the dead guy, shot by some random with a rifle, is a tax on Amazon".

I voted for her before. It's not that I have particular issue with her politics, though do with some of her process and tactics. But saying "this killing was a tragedy; let's do <things that have absolutely nothing directly to do with the situation on face>" doesn't help shit. The police were entirely uninvolved, here; how does a 50% defunding, a tax on Amazon, any of these things directly address the issue at hand unless you already know what the assumptions she's making are?

Edit: Like, right now, you say something platidudinal. Focus on the victim, the family. Express sympathy, support, whatever, I'm bad at the fuzzy stuff. In an unrelated tweet or message, separated in time by a graceful period, you reiterate your demands "given the tragic events of..." clause. You don't go on about drunk driving laws at the funeral.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Yeah pretty much is, dude. The link between these items exists only in the heads of her, maybe you, and everyone who already agrees with her.

People like me, however, are left going "... so your solution to the dead guy, shot by some random with a rifle, is a tax on Amazon".

I voted for her before. It's not that I have particular issue with her politics, though do with some of her process and tactics. But saying "this killing was a tragedy; let's do <things that have absolutely nothing directly to do with the situation on face>" doesn't help shit. The police were entirely uninvolved, here; how does a 50% defunding, a tax on Amazon, any of these things directly address the issue at hand unless you already know what the assumptions she's making are?

We're just back being outraged that the socialist has a socialist's views on social decay and how to address it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

We're just back being outraged that the socialist has a socialist's views on social decay and how to address it.

Actually, I'm annoyed she did the equivalent of asking the deceased's family to vote for stronger drunk driving laws while they're all standing in front of the open casket.

• Options

Actually, I'm annoyed she did the equivalent of asking the deceased's family to vote for stronger drunk driving laws while they're all standing in front of the open casket.

She did in fact not do something like that. She views the shooting as a symptom of a general breakdown. She lists the things she thinks need to happen to resolve the breakdown that led to this. Im not in the least surprised that her actual statement failed to sway anyone outraged.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Her statement on twitter called the killing tragic and said it underscores the need to resolve the situation by defunding the police, addressing housing, release protesters, and other demands so that society can get back to something more like regular order.

Those tweets also state that the dead teen was killed in a "drive-by shooting," something that she must have known was not true.

The issue here is not that she has a "socialist's view on social decay", it's that she's being unresponsive to a particular event. Even if everything she says is absolutely true, they aren't immediately relevant to the incident in question. She's talking two or three levels removed and that's not how she addresses topics that are less uncomfortable to her allies.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

The 16 year old wasn't left in the car. I'm not sure how he ended up in SFD hands, I assume because the private vehicle trying to transport him realized they needed more help, and managed to get Medic One to pick him up, but that's just speculation.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Honestly, if any criticism is going to be reduced to "well you just don't get socialism" I don't think there's much to gain here. "Insensitivity" is not a central tenet of socialism, and I find both her timing and phrasing insensitive as an initial reaction to this incident. You find it appropriate. Neither of these reactions is rooted in ideology, and neither is rooted in the political bent of the reactor.

Also, as a personal note, not everyone disagrees with you or her because they're "not socialist" or "don't like socialism".

• Options

Those tweets also state that the dead teen was killed in a "drive-by shooting," something that she must have known was not true.

The issue here is not that she has a "socialist's view on social decay", it's that she's being unresponsive to a particular event. Even if everything she says is absolutely true, they aren't immediately relevant to the incident in question. She's talking two or three levels removed and that's not how she addresses topics that are less uncomfortable to her allies.

I think the general breakdown of civic government is pretty immediately relevant to a shooting by armed citizen security.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Unless you are referencing an additional tweet, she didn't say anything about a drive-by. Also, considering there had been a couple of drive-by's in the area that night before the shooting, I can see how it would be easy to be confused as to which discharge of firearms killed him.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Styro/Incen you think the chop leadership (such as there even is for a loosely organized anarchist group) bears any amount of responsibly for the shootings?

Like I'm thinking the disconnect here is on that point.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Honestly, if any criticism is going to be reduced to "well you just don't get socialism" I don't think there's much to gain here. "Insensitivity" is not a central tenet of socialism, and I find both her timing and phrasing insensitive as an initial reaction to this incident. You find it appropriate. Neither of these reactions is rooted in ideology, and neither is rooted in the political bent of the reactor.

Also, as a personal note, not everyone disagrees with you or her because they're "not socialist" or "don't like socialism".

You're missing the point. I dont think she's being insensitive. I think she's being a good deal more sensitive than politicians offering up vague prayers and hopes for arrests.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

She thinks that if the reforms that were scheduled to happen with the head tax had happened, that there would be less violence on the streets. It's pretty clear the she thinks it is a direct answer for these sorts of situations.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Styro/Incen you think the chopleadership (such as there even is for a loosely organized anarchist group) bears any amount of responsibly for the shootings?

I don't know. I don't know the leadership or their level of organization or who did the shooting or what their relationship was to the rest of the folks there. There are some actual groups, but it's mostly individual citizens aligning under a general cause.

And since I don't know, I'm not willing to make a bunch of declarations of what they should have done or should do.

I do know that the mayor and her army are waiting for every chance they have to get back to brutalizing the population, though, so that's my focus until I have more information.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

Unless you are referencing an additional tweet, she didn't say anything about a drive-by. Also, considering there had been a couple of drive-by's in the area that night before the shooting, I can see how it would be easy to be confused as to which discharge of firearms killed him.

The quoted tweets were part of a thread. Here's the first one (which is the one that most directly references the shooting):

If the tweets had been sent out in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, I would totally agree with you about the confusion. But she sent these out at 12:30 pm by which time I'm sure she had talked with people about what had happened. If the tweet was sent in error, then she should have corrected it.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Styro/Incen you think the chop leadership (such as there even is for a loosely organized anarchist group) bears any amount of responsibly for the shootings?

Cant tell you based on what we know

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Driving into work just now, saw SPD has the whole CHOP area blocked off as far as Pike & Broadway.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah AP news is reporting they've already deployed police and heavy lifting gear and have started dismantling various setups in CHOP right now.

https://apnews.com/aac9a186e851763d60123ad1a4a20471

• Options
    I checked a couple streams early this morning and CHOP is definitely over.

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Gotta say, weird to see wall to wall police again. It wasn’t a great month but it was an interesting one without em.

• Options
    Gotta say, weird to see wall to wall police again. It wasn’t a great month but it was an interesting one without em.

Its going to get bad again

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Cops are already operating in the area with badge numbers covered.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

rich smith is a reporter for the stranger

the spd are liars and 50% isn't nearly enough defunding

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular

Almost certainly. Wonder how long it’ll take for SPD to start pulling in staties to shoot tear gas for them.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

if you mean "bad" as in the bad state of policing in this city for the previous X years than yeah

if you mean "bad" as in what was going on during the protests then I really doubt it. That would require there being people out there protesting for the cops to attack. And the end of CHOP ain't worth it. And the recent death wasn't done by the police and was reported as being by pro-CHOP people (regardless of the truth that's what was reported).

Maybe people will hit the streets again but I think the energy has dissipated for now.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

if you mean "bad" as in the bad state of policing in this city for the previous X years than yeah

if you mean "bad" as in what was going on during the protests then I really doubt it. That would require there being people out there protesting for the cops to attack. And the end of CHOP ain't worth it. And the recent death wasn't done by the police and was reported as being by pro-CHOP people (regardless of the truth that's what was reported).

Maybe people will hit the streets again but I think the energy has dissipated for now.

Regardless of who killed the teenager, pro-CHOP people claimed it and defended it. This isn't a reporting problem

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Maybe now that Occupy 2020 is over the activist energy can be refocused back onto ending police violence like it was supposed to be.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.