As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Gotta say, weird to see wall to wall police again. It wasn’t a great month but it was an interesting one without em.

Its going to get bad again

if you mean "bad" as in the bad state of policing in this city for the previous X years than yeah

if you mean "bad" as in what was going on during the protests then I really doubt it. That would require there being people out there protesting for the cops to attack. And the end of CHOP ain't worth it. And the recent death wasn't done by the police and was reported as being by pro-CHOP people (regardless of the truth that's what was reported).

Maybe people will hit the streets again but I think the energy has dissipated for now.

Protests are still going on every day in the cities across the country and I doubt Seattle will be any different. Maybe the cops finally behave themselves, but I have doubts they've learned anything other than that the mayor will back them.
    knitdan wrote: »
    Maybe now that Occupy 2020 is over the activist energy can be refocused back onto ending police violence like it was supposed to be.

CHOP didn't preclude demonstrations, marches, or other activism. I know this because that shithead Durkan is trying to get a councilwoman thrown out for attending one in front of her house.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Gotta say, weird to see wall to wall police again. It wasn’t a great month but it was an interesting one without em.

if you mean "bad" as in the bad state of policing in this city for the previous X years than yeah

if you mean "bad" as in what was going on during the protests then I really doubt it. That would require there being people out there protesting for the cops to attack. And the end of CHOP ain't worth it. And the recent death wasn't done by the police and was reported as being by pro-CHOP people (regardless of the truth that's what was reported).

Maybe people will hit the streets again but I think the energy has dissipated for now.

Protests are still going on every day in the cities across the country and I doubt Seattle will be any different. Maybe the cops finally behave themselves, but I have doubts they've learned anything other than that the mayor will back them.
    Maybe now that Occupy 2020 is over the activist energy can be refocused back onto ending police violence like it was supposed to be.

CHOP didn't preclude demonstrations, marches, or other activism. I know this because that shithead Durkan is trying to get a councilwoman thrown out for attending one in front of her house.

we'll just have to see what happens but I think CHOP was such a not-a-bang-but-a-whimper situation that there aren't going to be protests big enough to cause the kind of disturbance, and therefore get the kind of attention, that they did originally.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

And abusing her access privileges to let a whole lot of random people into City Hall

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

And abusing her access privileges to let a whole lot of random people into City Hall

By random people you mean citizens.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

we'll just have to see what happens but I think CHOP was such a not-a-bang-but-a-whimper situation that there aren't going to be protests big enough to cause the kind of disturbance, and therefore get the kind of attention, that they did originally.

This isn't going to be the last major bout of protests sparked this year, I'd put money on it.

• Options
    Sure they were citizens but that doesn't give them the right to occupy a government building that’s closed after hours.

But i can see this is just something we won’t agree on.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Sure they were citizens but that doesn't give them the right to occupy a government building that’s closed after hours.

But i can see this is just something we won’t agree on.

Are you saying protestors practicing civil disobedience don't have the right to break rules?

Surely, all those civil rights protestors had no right organizing sit-ins in buildings where people were just trying to go about their business.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the city hall thing was fine.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Fuck it, this is going nowhere.

knitdan on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Sure. If the council wants to toss Sawant out cause of that, that's their perogative certainly. (I wouldn't support such action myself cause I also think citizens have the right to protest and assemble and if someone wants to use their power to facilitate that rather than trying to crush them, they're good in my book) But since they don't seem to be rushing to do so, pretty sure that particular part of the protest isn't the issue.

What I take issue with is the mayor using her power of office to try and punish someone for exercising their rights to protest and assemble.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I mean is it even actually a legal problem?

Abusing your key card access isn't a crime. Nobody was trespassing.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sawant is representing her voters well enough, given that she keeps getting re-elected. I don't like her, but I don't live in her district, so that's just tough for me and I'll need to live with it.

Her behavior has been 100% in line with what we've seen from her since she took office, and I'm inclined to let it go, if that's what her constituents want. If they don't like it, they can vote her out.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I hate it when protesters don't respect authority

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    can't believe people would practice civil disobedience in the act of practicing civil disobedience

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    To be fair to knitdan, practicing civil disobedience also (sometimes, not always) means accepting the legal consequences.

Though vowels has a point: was it even illegal? Under non-pandemic conditions, a city council member is free to hold a meeting at city hall. The only reason it was closed was for COVID. And I really don't care for the line of thinking that protesters shouldn't protest because of COVID.

Meanwhile, Durkan's call to expel Sawant was prompted not by the city hall occupation, but by the march on Durkan's home and on Sawant's pressure on Durkan to resign. Durkan's letter strikes me much more as a political (and personal) feud between two politicians, and less like a principled application of the law.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Aioua wrote: »
    I mean is it even actually a legal problem?

Abusing your key card access isn't a crime. Nobody was trespassing.

Abusing access rights is generally a crime. Its not much different than giving out the access codes for your works network to someone who isn't authorized. The fact that they didn't do anything bad when they were in there is immaterial. Edit; Similarly the fact that a building is unlocked does not mean that access is legal.

However. You're unlikely to be prosecuted for something like that, unless it was a big deal. (E.G. See the Cardinals scandal from a few years back where one of their executives logged into another teams network with the authentication that he was given when he worked at the other team... They went right to jail) and its unclear whether or not being a city councilmember gives you the authority to determine access. Just like its illegal for the janitor to let his friends into the microsoft building if Bill Gates* does it then those people are effectively authorized and its not illegal.

My guess is that its not, because Sawant is a council member and so has that authority generally. She could have scheduled an impromptu meeting open to the public as an example. So unless there is like.. Black letter legislation about how council meetings must be scheduled and opened and how breaking those regulations is a felony... she(and the protesters) is probably in the clear.

*Bill may not actually have that authority but lets just assume i am talking about the current executive in charge/owner who does.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    At the moment I have little patience for either Durkan or Sawant.

Durkan has been duplicitous during the entire BLM affair after George Floyd. (And before. My feelings for Durkan are not unlike how Hunter Thompson felt about Hubert Humphrey or how Jello Biafra felt about Jerry Brown. With the caveat that I think Jello Biafra was wrong about Jerry Brown.)

Sawant is piggybacking on the protests to gain exposure for her personal brand. Somebody called her out on it right in front of her at city hall! She is not well-regarded among local BLM activists.

Meanwhile the SPD is fucking cosplaying as the Tulsa police from Watchmen and back to covering their badge numbers and pepper spraying people. Sawant gets the tiniest point for at least wanting to do something about that.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Honest question, what differentiates a personal brand from having a raft of issues you want to push?

YMMV of course but among the activists I've worked with and know in the area she's as well regarded as any government official could be right now.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    She is incredibly good at being condescending.

Absolutely zero respect for the citizens.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    meanwhile, the cops are fucking things up for the businesses in the area around the east precinct

literally the exact claim the lying pigs made about the CHOP

q13fox is a local tv channel

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    meanwhile, the cops are fucking things up for the businesses in the area around the east precinct

They’re also doing ID checks. Had a surprise 7-8 block detour in my walk

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Is that even legal? This is some papers please bullshit.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

They were doing it in the week pre CHAZ too, so...presumably. It’s nice being threatened with arrest for a stroll again.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

They were doing it in the week pre CHAZ too, so...presumably. It’s nice being threatened with arrest for a stroll again.

That doesn't mean it's legal.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Counterpoint: who's going to make them stop?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Counterpoint: who's going to make them stop?

Oh, maybe the courts, when they get around to hearing the case in ten months. Maybe.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I’ve happily voted for Sawant twice. Unfortunately I don’t live in Seattle anymore so I won’t be able to vote a third time.

I’m also sorry I won’t be able to vote against Durkan (again) next year when she is up for re-election

Also
    https://www.seattletimes.com/subscribe/signup-offers/?pw=redirect&subsource=paywall&return=https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-wont-fulfill-mayor-durkans-request-to-investigate-sawant-gonzalez-says/

Neco on
  • Options
    Seattle police seem to have taken over about twice as much street as CHOP ever did.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Seattle police seem to have taken over about twice as much street as CHOP ever did.

I've been swamped with work, is Cal Anderson technically open right now? I'll happily go test the waters this weekend bringing a ball and cone down there to do drills with no license.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I've been swamped with work, is Cal Anderson technically open right now? I'll happily go test the waters this weekend bringing a ball and cone down there to do drills with no license.

Last I heard, Cal Anderson was closed and anyone near the East Precinct has to present their papers to prove they live in Copland.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    She is incredibly good at being condescending.

Absolutely zero respect for the citizens.

She wasn't elected for the benefit of the citizens, but for the benefit of the megacorps who funded her. Her behavior checks out and exactly matches what she's been paid to do.

• Options
    I've been looking up the groups that are suing over CHOP, and it looks like it's all real estate companies, a sticker maker, a liquor store, and a physical therapy shop. At least one of the small number of individuals is double dipping by claiming as an individual and a business.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I've been looking up the groups that are suing over CHOP, and it looks like it's all real estate companies, a sticker maker, a liquor store, and a physical therapy shop. At least one of the small number of individuals is double dipping by claiming as an individual and a business.

Suing who?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Yeah they did to local businesses what everyone said CHOP would

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Last I heard, Cal Anderson was closed and anyone near the East Precinct has to present their papers to prove they live in Copland.

Accurate as of this morning. Pine is closed from 13th-Broadway and 2 blocks off that corridor. Cal Anderson park is also closed

• Options

Suing who?

The city.

https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2020/06/perpetual-block-party-real-estate-companies-and-businesses-sue-city-of-seattle-over-capitol-hill-protest-zone/

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Has the spd said why they are blocking off this area? Like, I know why but what the reason they are giving is? Is it all just from the mayor's executive order or have they said anything more specific?

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Has the spd said why they are blocking off this area? Like, I know why but what the reason they are giving is? Is it all just from the mayor's executive order or have they said anything more specific?

"safety"

https://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2020/07/01/mayor-durkan-issues-emergency-order-regarding-capitol-hill-protest-zone/

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.