As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestle]icious, baby!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    One could say she's dangerous in a fight because she's a flaming idiot.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    It's a work

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I'll even say that as much as I hate Ronda and want her to leave, that it is also amazing how good in the ring she is for as little time as she has been doing this.

One can be skilled and also trash.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't say that. She's dangerous in a fight because she's a highly skilled and trained fighter. It's just that, at everything outside of fighting, she's a flaming idiot. If anything, I'd say that her idiocy gets in the way of her fighting, like when she got exposed for her poor striking ability and then did absolutely nothing to correct for that.

She's a lot like Ben Carson in that way. Carson is actually a highly respected brain surgeon; apparently he's among the best of the best at that job. But as he proved with his presidential campaign, he's completely clueless about anything other than surgery.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Next time I'll remember to use the bee emoji, I swear to god.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I definitely wouldn't say that. She's dangerous in a fight because she's a highly skilled and trained fighter. It's just that, at everything outside of fighting, she's a flaming idiot. If anything, I'd say that her idiocy gets in the way of her fighting, like when she got exposed for her poor striking ability and then did absolutely nothing to correct for that.

She's a lot like Ben Carson in that way. Carson is actually a highly respected brain surgeon; apparently he's among the best of the best at that job. But as he proved with his presidential campaign, he's completely clueless about anything other than surgery.

A highly skilled and trained fighter who is simultaneously a fucking moron is pretty dangerous, though, no?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Schide wrote: »
    It's a work

I believed that up to and until she used Becky's real name, which from my understanding is something you 1000% do not do unless you really want someone's attention.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    It's a work

I believed that up to and until she used Becky's real name, which from my understanding is something you 1000% do not do unless you really want someone's attention.

Naw not anymore. Generally speaking if you're good at this kind of thing it's not something you use lightly, but Ronda's no Lionheart so it's no surprise she's gone to this well so fast.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's a work

Becky had been using her real name on her Twitter page for a while before the switch to "The Man," and shes not the only wrestler in the company to do so

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tye Dillinger had his real name on his Twitter for months before leaving, for example

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://www.cagesideseats.com/cageside-seats-features/2019/2/28/18244766/why-is-davey-richards-unprofessional-and-disrespectful-behavior-ok

A good article read/podcast listen from Ethan Page on why Davey Richards is a prick who's never going to change
    Ethan wrote:
    The amount of people texting me, who are in the industry so I’m not going to add them to my public hate for Davey Richards, everyone I told the story to was like, “Eh, that’s Davey.”

I don’t like that that is ok. Only in our job is that an answer. Eh, it’s Davey? No! When does professionalism ever become the most important part of our job? It won’t because skill will always dictate success and that’s so annoying to me.

I have no problem burying him. I have no respect for that guy. He used to be one of my favorite wrestlers. He’s a joke.

• Options
    AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Oh hai marks.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    It's a work

Please don’t tarnish our brand by associating it with this trash dump. We are more than capable of tarnishing our brand on our own.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    GCW's finally doing the right thing

D0hfvuqW0AU2C2w.jpg

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    https://www.cagesideseats.com/cageside-seats-features/2019/2/28/18244766/why-is-davey-richards-unprofessional-and-disrespectful-behavior-ok

A good article read/podcast listen from Ethan Page on why Davey Richards is a prick who's never going to change
    Ethan wrote:
    The amount of people texting me, who are in the industry so I’m not going to add them to my public hate for Davey Richards, everyone I told the story to was like, “Eh, that’s Davey.”

I don’t like that that is ok. Only in our job is that an answer. Eh, it’s Davey? No! When does professionalism ever become the most important part of our job? It won’t because skill will always dictate success and that’s so annoying to me.

I have no problem burying him. I have no respect for that guy. He used to be one of my favorite wrestlers. He’s a joke.

Man, when Ethan Page is calling you out on your attitude...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Rusev's enjoying this whole debacle at least.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Ethan wrote:

It's a sad day when I have to agree with Ethan Page.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to say hello Ethan Page, and I look forward to seeing you at the DDT show in New York.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to say hello Ethan Page, and I look forward to seeing you at the DDT show in New York.

Was literally going to say how excited I am by Ethan Page’s upcoming Twitter post about our dumb video game forum group.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I bet he even searches Ethan P*ge and all the other variations to find people trying to avoid his vanity searching.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    the level of snark from the rest of the roster makes me think Ronda the Transphobic wonder did indeed lose her shit and go off script. Not that Vince will do anything about it...his special attractions get special treatment.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well I can't imagine Ronda is all that popular with her OG rocky maivia push over more established wrestlers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    The most shocking part of that twitter exchange is that Ronda still thinks she can beat anybody up.

Eh, I actually do fear for most other wrestlers' safety. Not all of them have actual fighting skills, and detecting when Ronda is legitimately trying to fuck you up vs. just being stiff is probably not the easiest when she's stuck to some of her MMA style.

I am still fairly confident that her takedown of Sonya DeVille last year was super fucking stiff to send her a message, which I just add to the pile of reasons I don't fucking like Ronda.

I have never thought that she got 'real' in the ring but as long as you also hate all the stories where many other wrestlers are reported as doing this that's certainly fair. Ronda sucks as a person but this has generally been part of the business, to be clear I don't and have never liked it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    so, this kayfabe breaking on twitter is really annoying but I was already super put off by the now-too-common and endorsed-by-talent-in-the-ring chant of 'you deserve it'

people earn titles and they earn title shots. if they have it, they deserve it, but chanting like that destroys any illusion that they actually won a fight to get there. you can't control a crowd but I wish the talent didn't react to it the way they do. I realize emotions take over of course but I really wish they'd react differently.

anyway, the twitter feuds don't necessarily have to hold kayfabe all the way imo but referencing scripts or the idea that there is a 'real' type of fighting and that that's not what they do in the ring is really off putting.

(clearly not the biggest issue with Ronda's tweets)

(edit - I am thinking this over and I'm not sure if I agree with what I said. I don't like the chant but idk if what I'm saying about where I want to draw the line in breaking kayfabe makes sense. gonna leave the post because I'm honestly not sure right now how I feel, but I figured I'd add that I'm already doubting what I said here)

It's a work

of course it's a work. it still sucks when they break kayfabe in certain ways. some things are fine, some imo are not.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    The most shocking part of that twitter exchange is that Ronda still thinks she can beat anybody up.

Eh, I actually do fear for most other wrestlers' safety. Not all of them have actual fighting skills, and detecting when Ronda is legitimately trying to fuck you up vs. just being stiff is probably not the easiest when she's stuck to some of her MMA style.

I am still fairly confident that her takedown of Sonya DeVille last year was super fucking stiff to send her a message, which I just add to the pile of reasons I don't fucking like Ronda.

I have never thought that she got 'real' in the ring but as long as you also hate all the stories where many other wrestlers are reported as doing this that's certainly fair. Ronda sucks as a person but this has generally been part of the business, to be clear I don't and have never liked it.

I don't have an issue with stiff moves when the other guy/girl isn't selling or there is no way to sell something. Some shit's just gonna hurt and that's the way it is. I'm probably wrong to think so, and could probably be talked down from that ledge, but that's where I am right now.

I totally have an issue with stiff moves otherwise.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Even if it's a work it's a work that plays off the very real and documented hatred one of the workers has for a minority. It would be like AJ Styles calling someone gay because you get it he hates gay people and this is referencing that very real fact!

I don't know, waxing poetic about "the death of kayfabe" doesn't really fucking matter to me. It's been dead for so long that I can't care. Seeing people get madder over that while not getting mad over the actual content (whether Rhonda herself wrote it or a WWE writer did) gets me real bummed out and reminds me why I'll never feel really welcome in wrestling.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Well I can't imagine Ronda is all that popular with her OG rocky maivia push over more established wrestlers.

This Ronda Rousey kid is a real blue chipper King!

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I don't have an issue with stiff moves when the other guy/girl isn't selling or there is no way to sell something. Some shit's just gonna hurt and that's the way it is. I'm probably wrong to think so, and could probably be talked down from that ledge, but that's where I am right now.

What about when the wrestler taking the move desires a fair bit of snugness ie Daniel Bryan and chops?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

What about when the wrestler taking the move desires a fair bit of snugness ie Daniel Bryan and chops?

If they're both fine with it, sure. I'm not sure wrestling could actually exist otherwise, unless I'm not understanding your meaning.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

If they're both fine with it, sure. I'm not sure wrestling could actually exist otherwise, unless I'm not understanding your meaning.

Nah, just seeking clarification on where your line is.

I also find wrestlers going into business for themselves pretty distasteful. A match is supposed to be a collaborative effort based on consent, after all.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Eh, Ronda is a draw, people will want to watch her, so the gate will be bigger and the wrestlers on the card will get more money.

At least that's what I remember wrestlers mentioning about when The Rock came back for WM.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options

I also find wrestlers going into business for themselves pretty distasteful. A match is supposed to be a collaborative effort based on consent, after all.

Yes, but on the other hand the Bret/Shawn ironman match is amazing. Not only is it a good match it's also both of them are trying to stiff and sandbag each other and it's like a Warner Brothers animated short about two people in an orchestra trying to sabotage each other while still playing an entire piece of classical music.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular

To be fair, she's only bad in comparison to other highly trained and highly ranked fighters. And there are still women on the UFC roster that she could trash.

That's to say nothing of what she would do to pretty much all of the women on the WWE roster and even some of the men.

Ronda says extremely stupid and downright line-crossing things, but she's still an Olympic champion.

I have no problem with saying she's very dangerous in a fight while also saying that she is a flaming idiot.

This little sidebar conversation about how actual trained fighters are a different breed than untrained folks reminded me of when Strowman got a little too rough with Lesnar at a recent Rumble and Lesnar stiffed him directly in the head to tell him to chill out.

Strowman is obviously a big guy. And I'm sure he could probably hurt most people he came up against based purely on size.

But Lesnar is a champion martial artist, both as an amateur wrestler and a fighter. He could most likely fuck Strowman's shit up in about 5 seconds if he felt like it.

Strowman violated a very important rule that I've always had: Do not test a person who has cauliflowers ears. They're tougher than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7WHspNzZeA

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

Yes, but on the other hand the Bret/Shawn ironman match is amazing. Not only is it a good match it's also both of them are trying to stiff and sandbag each other and it's like a Warner Brothers animated short about two people in an orchestra trying to sabotage each other while still playing an entire piece of classical music.

did we watch the same match 22 years ago cause I remember 50 minutes of rest holds and headlocks

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I haven't caught up on thread to know what happened but I read go off script so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DV7WBEeJWY

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

I look forward to seeing Alexa Bliss win the WWE Women's Championship with the CHIKARA Special.

This discussion has been closed.