As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestle]icious, baby!

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That... was not who I was expecting to see.

Guess Big Dave's a Becky stan?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »
    Lol if you think Becky ain’t driving a beer truck down to interrupt Flair’s birthday party.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe drinking some of the beer inside will cool her head down enough to let her think out some proper strategy as 'hit everyone lols' isn't getting her back into Wrestlemania so far.
    I really love your dogged attachment to kayfabe :) it’s refreshing to see since we’re all mega jaded here

Eh, I just get too invested in plot sometimes and it bugs me when I feel it missteps on a setup for cool things. Nice swerve with tonight's ending though unless something happened earlier with Bautista and I missed it.

• Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »
    Lol if you think Becky ain’t driving a beer truck down to interrupt Flair’s birthday party.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe drinking some of the beer inside will cool her head down enough to let her think out some proper strategy as 'hit everyone lols' isn't getting her back into Wrestlemania so far.
    I really love your dogged attachment to kayfabe :) it’s refreshing to see since we’re all mega jaded here

Eh, I just get too invested in plot sometimes and it bugs me when I feel it missteps on a setup for cool things. Nice swerve with tonight's ending though unless something happened earlier with Bautista and I missed it.

Nah, nothing since Smackdown 1000.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    That... was not who I was expecting to see.

Guess Big Dave's a Becky stan?

Big Dave's not an H fan. Never forget THUMBS DOWN!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear, I don't mind if they turn the championship into a three-way fight between Lynch, Rousey and Flair. I just find the part of the story that started with the bum leg clumsy in execution and for me paints Lynch in an idiotic light for her part in losing her spot in the match. Like I get it, Becky, you're the Man. But maybe you can dial the aggression down just a notch so you don't lose shots at the belt or make Stephanie McMahon and HHH look like reasonable bosses?

I think the only possible way to read it is that she knew her leg was busted so she couldn't let them check it. she has no specific reason not to trust them so my interpretation is she didn't need a reason not to trust them, she just had to avoid being checked. I guess you could just say that they're generally dishonest but that doesn't feel as satisfying to me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    becky lynch not wanting a doctor to stop her from wrestling is a thousand percent in character since this turn

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    especially since last time it stopped her from fighting rousey

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    becky lynch not wanting a doctor to stop her from wrestling is a thousand percent in character since this turn

I think Lynch's character at the moment is a turnoff itself when it comes to what's going on. To bring back the Austin comparison again, I certainly remember him getting arrested like Lynch did tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leG3Aq4orCo

Unlike Lynch at the moment though, he wasn't just one-note throwing himself at everyone arms flailing. He actually showed guile, especially when the odds were against him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI23HsGITnE

If they wanna turn Lynch into someone like Stone Cold, that's fine but she's gotta pull more out of her bag then just punches to the face and crutches to a person's back.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Is there a new service like cameo that lets you buy a tweet from a celebrity out there?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just saw the replay of what happened tonight that got Lynch arrested and it does nothing to change my opinion on her aggressive stupidity in this story. Rousey's on your friggin' side for Pete's sake, why are you attacking her? Hell, there's a celebration of Rick Flair's birthday tonight. You KNOW Charlotte will be there and yet you blow your one (yeah, I know, likely not but still) chance tonight on putting a beatdown on the person who stole your spot for someone who actually WANTS to fight you at Wrestlemania?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

But yeah, I've noticed that maturity and common sense are almost antithetical to wrestling storytelling (at least in WWE, if nowhere else), so I try not to dwell on it too hard.

That said, I don't think Becky is meant to be a 1:1 Austin clone, and thank goodness for that. She's cast in a similar mold, sure, but the last thing I want from her is reenacting Austin's greatest bits.

They should be careful, though, as too much senseless "go in with fists swinging until things are right" grandstanding could eventually backfire as far as her crowd reaction goes.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    They’re trying to mix Austin and Bryan into one character.

The take no shit asskicker rebel who is also the plucky underdog who management holds down.

The mix doesn’t quite work right narratively but it’s over so whatever I guess.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I don’t think there’s anywhere near as much rhyme or reason to it as we’re all trying to create here

I think it’s just another Daniel Bryan situation where they were both opposed to and completely blindsided by a large scale fanbase that directly opposed a plan they had in the works and they’re throwing whatever they can at the wall- with Bryan it was the combo of him being red hot at the same time WWE brought in Batista for an overt nostalgia/marketing tie in and fans just shit on it. With Becky it’s even more of a mess because they’re dealing with multiple issues: they clearly wanted Becky to be a heel and own-goaled the original motivation for it when everyone agreed with it. they clearly wanted Charlotte in the main event, hell or high water. They clearly don’t want Ronda to be a heel, and when Becky started getting cheers for (checks notes) assaulting people and Ronda started getting booed for (checks notes) being Ronda Rousey, they panicked.

It gets even stupider because now they’re going “okay, we’ll have Becky be anti-authority and Charlotte the Corporate Champion” deal, except okay, then what’s Ronda, isn’t SHE anti-authority? Remember like a year ago when she broke Steph’s arm in the ring during a match that apparently implied if Ronda lost she’d become her butler or whatever? And to top it all off, after the blatant shiftiness of the authority last year, Hunter and Steph are now being like the concerned parents who don’t want their kids to go to school on the West Coast or something. And NOW Hunter is going to be the face in a feud with Batista? And now Ronda just quit, maybe? In.... defense of the pure heart of the (checks notes one more time) woman who’s repeatedly assaulting people? There’s no tone or cohesive narrative to any of this.

It’s all a fucking mess, and look, insert usual caveats of “yes, they’ve got six weeks to fix this” and “yes, a triple threat with these three women will be a good match” here, but Jesus, it’s still a fucking mess. And while they figure out all of this, they’ve given fuck zero to Asuka, who’s got fewer and fewer options with the tag division being a thing and is on track to defend her title in a four way on the preshow at this point.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    They should be careful, though, as too much senseless "go in with fists swinging until things are right" grandstanding could eventually backfire as far as her crowd reaction goes.

Okay yeah need to add this too: it’s insane that all they can think of for Becky now is “keep her off TV” when she’s carrying whatever used to be the story with her promos and online persona, and as a result they’re giving “defiant voice of justice” duty to Ronda, who is, generously, not... good... at promos. Why are they doing this? Why are they playing against both of these womens’ strengths? It’s so backwards and I just do not get it.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I don’t think there’s anywhere near as much rhyme or reason to it as we’re all trying to create here

I think it’s just another Daniel Bryan situation where they were both opposed to and completely blindsided by a large scale fanbase that directly opposed a plan they had in the works and they’re throwing whatever they can at the wall- with Bryan it was the combo of him being red hot at the same time WWE brought in Batista for an overt nostalgia/marketing tie in and fans just shit on it. With Becky it’s even more of a mess because they’re dealing with multiple issues: they clearly wanted Becky to be a heel and own-goaled the original motivation for it when everyone agreed with it. they clearly wanted Charlotte in the main event, hell or high water. They clearly don’t want Ronda to be a heel, and when Becky started getting cheers for (checks notes) assaulting people and Ronda started getting booed for (checks notes) being Ronda Rousey, they panicked.

It gets even stupider because now they’re going “okay, we’ll have Becky be anti-authority and Charlotte the Corporate Champion” deal, except okay, then what’s Ronda, isn’t SHE anti-authority? Remember like a year ago when she broke Steph’s arm in the ring during a match that apparently implied if Ronda lost she’d become her butler or whatever? And to top it all off, after the blatant shiftiness of the authority last year, Hunter and Steph are now being like the concerned parents who don’t want their kids to go to school on the West Coast or something. And NOW Hunter is going to be the face in a feud with Batista? And now Ronda just quit, maybe? In.... defense of the pure heart of the (checks notes one more time) woman who’s repeatedly assaulting people? There’s no tone or cohesive narrative to any of this.

It’s all a fucking mess, and look, insert usual caveats of “yes, they’ve got six weeks to fix this” and “yes, a triple threat with these three women will be a good match” here, but Jesus, it’s still a fucking mess. And while they figure out all of this, they’ve given fuck zero to Asuka, who’s got fewer and fewer options with the tag division being a thing and is on track to defend her title in a four way on the preshow at this point.

Still you have to admit, despite being a narrative mess...that Raw was one of the most exciting in a long time. Roman's return was as emotional as anything you will ever see and with good reason. They turned that into a mini shield reunion tease, which would be the best way possible for him to get back in ring shape and for Ambrose to leave. Alexa going tweener for Finn was a super on point character moment that was well acted and presents a fun twist for her character, Allister and Ricochet are still being treated like the real deal and feel fresh since the call up, Becky's story might be confusing but you cant deny it gets mega pop when she does her run ins, and despite being a bad actress this is by far the most Ronda has mattered to her own story since the program started. Nobody saw Big Dave coming and the segment was white hot at the end. It was also fun just to see Ricky and Sting....Seth "selling" Steamboats chop was laugh out loud funny for me. Maybe all the narratives don't hold up...but that is the hottest build up show they have put on for Mania in many years.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

It's absolutely in character.

It's absolutely a big fuckin' mess right now. They've made a feud between Becky and Charlotte red hot, and Ronda Rousey is currently an afterthought. And the whole not wanting to see the doctor because she didn't want to be held in "doctor jail" totally made sense up to and until she was going to be suspended anyways for not doing it. And then they tried this stupid "You're actually faking it" bullshit with Triple H to give her heel turn a try-out (because wouldn't it just be the coolest if she turned out to be faking it just to get out of a match with Rousey? Huh huh?) And then, after all that shit, she sees a doctor anyways, and she's fine (but she's clearly not). So this whole thing was a wet fart, okay, fine.

But then they go back to the hurt leg storyline when she's getting into it with Charlotte, and I'm like, "WTFBBQ??"

They have not convinced me that they know where this is going, or that they have any good ideas. The only thing that I think would really work at this point would be for her to have been acting hurt this whole time, go through 1/2 of the match at Wrestlemania acting like her leg is all fucked up, and then plant it firmly in a really showy way to make clear it's been fine this whole time, and she was just fuckin' with Ronda and Charlotte. But even then, why go through losing your shot over this shit? What a fucking mess.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

It's absolutely a big fuckin' mess right now. They've made a feud between Becky and Charlotte red hot, and Ronda Rousey is currently an afterthought. And the whole not wanting to see the doctor because she didn't want to be held in "doctor jail" totally made sense up to and until she was going to be suspended anyways for not doing it. And then they tried this stupid "You're actually faking it" bullshit with Triple H to give her heel turn a try-out (because wouldn't it just be the coolest if she turned out to be faking it just to get out of a match with Rousey? Huh huh?) And then, after all that shit, she sees a doctor anyways, and she's fine (but she's clearly not). So this whole thing was a wet fart, okay, fine.

But then they go back to the hurt leg storyline when she's getting into it with Charlotte, and I'm like, "WTFBBQ??"

They have not convinced me that they know where this is going, or that they have any good ideas. The only thing that I think would really work at this point would be for her to have been acting hurt this whole time, go through 1/2 of the match at Wrestlemania acting like her leg is all fucked up, and then plant it firmly in a really showy way to make clear it's been fine this whole time, and she was just fuckin' with Ronda and Charlotte. But even then, why go through losing your shot over this shit? What a fucking mess.

I feel like the only meaningful end game at this point is for Becky to sell the leg the whole match and then win the thing on one wheel. Anything else the crowd is going to badly shit on in a way that Ronda's character may never recover from, which while my personal feelings about her makes me think "yay" but that's not good for business.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Thawmus wrote: »

I think I argued this before but they missed an incredible opportunity to frame Ronda/Becky as the new, cocky, take-no-shit badass versus the one who’s been through all this before and knows how it doesn’t end well.

If Ronda could promo a little better, it’s a killer angle: yeah, Becky, I was you. I boasted how no one could beat me, how I’m the best, and then it fell apart. Mighty Casey struck out and you will too; everyone loves your confidence until you get your ass kicked. You’re so desperate to be on the top you can’t even imagine what it’s like to fall from it.

They can’t do the match like Hogan/Warrior as a torch-passing thing because Ronda’s been a wrestler for only a year. They don’t want Ronda to be a heel and they failed at making Becky one because the fans honestly believe in her. So why is it so fucking hard to just make Ronda believable too? You don’t have to agree with her, but just continue naturally with everything she said in her promo videos with Angle last year. The lay down the belt shit yesterday is ridiculous- Ronda shouldn’t give a shit about the belt any more than Lesnar- it’s not about a title, it’s about the very idea of losing enraging them as a concept. Ronda, like Brock, has to keep winning because if they stop, like a shark, they die.

“I can’t lose because I’m Ronda Rousey.” “I can’t win because I’m Becky Lynch.” It’s right there, Vince.

Becky and Ronda work because they’re two women who hate losing for two different but powerful reasons. Becky is sick of being a loser; Ronda is terrified of being one. Becky kept losing and it made her hate everyone, Ronda lost once and it made her hate herself. It’s “fuck it, I’ve got nothing to lose and nowhere to go but up” versus “fuck you, I already lost everything and I’ll never let myself fall down again.”

Or I don’t know, just hit people with crutches for three weeks I guess that works too.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i hope big dave brings back the spotlight

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options

I agree with this, not sure if my post seemed to be saying otherwise but I do think the story makes sense. I recognize you may not have been replying to me but I want to clarify.

• Options
    I will take a narrative mess over knowing every match 6 months before mania, too. but I care way less about story than most folks, I'll admit. I usually skip talking segments.

• Options
    crwth wrote: »
    i hope big dave brings back the spotlight

god i hope

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Worth clicking through to, both to get some insight into leukemia and also to see Leukemia Cares gif game.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i was looking for dave's spotlight entrance and this one was the first result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpDUOZWHlE

there's nothing special about it, but the guest host graphic is 👌👌👌

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

Worth clicking through to, both to get some insight into leukemia and also to see Leukemia Cares gif game.

Learned quite a lot from that thread.

I do have to admit, I did have moments where I thought the whole thing just might have been a work. Sometimes, I am a silly goose.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options

I do have to admit, I did have moments where I thought the whole thing just might have been a work. Sometimes, I am a silly goose.

Wrestling has broken all of our brains. But as long as you can identify those moments, you'll be ok.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Lost my mother to Leukemia back in Feb of 2015. Happy to see Roman doing so well. It's a hell of a thing to go through. That twitter thread is full of great info.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

They've used a lot of pretty personal and awful things as works, you had reason to be suspicious.

I'm glad Batista has got to (potentially) end his career on a much better note by having an unannounced return instead of the horrible Bootista saga.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Big Dave did an interview that I am choosing to believe is partially kayfabe:
    “Do not compare me to The Rock or John Cena. Everyone does it,” and he “hates” it. “Those guys are wrestlers who became movie stars. I’m ... something else. I was a wrestler. Now, I’m an actor.”

“Rock was, in a way, a movie star before he was even a movie star. There is something about him that’s really special. I’d never take that away from him,” Bautista says. "Would I consider him a great actor? F--- no.

[...]

“I want good roles. I don’t care about Fast and Furious or Bumblebee. ... That’s not the kind of stardom I want. ... I want to be in Dune. I want to work with Denis Villeneuve. I want to work with Sam Mendes and Jodie Foster. I want to work with Academy Award winners. I’m proud to be a character actor. I want that respect and credibility and education.”

I 100% want to see Batista: Serious Actor Heel

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I wanted him to come back to feud with D-Bry but this is also good

• Options
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    “Do not compare me to The Rock or John Cena. Everyone does it,” and he “hates” it. “Those guys are wrestlers who became movie stars. I’m ... something else. I was a wrestler. Now, I’m an actor.”

“Rock was, in a way, a movie star before he was even a movie star. There is something about him that’s really special. I’d never take that away from him,” Bautista says. "Would I consider him a great actor? F--- no.

[...]

“I want good roles. I don’t care about Fast and Furious or Bumblebee. ... That’s not the kind of stardom I want. ... I want to be in Dune. I want to work with Denis Villeneuve. I want to work with Sam Mendes and Jodie Foster. I want to work with Academy Award winners. I’m proud to be a character actor. I want that respect and credibility and education.”

Given the fact that Dave's done more character work in the last couple years than Rock did starting out, I fully believe it. Drax is the outlier among his film credits as of late.

Also, he's talked about doing a last match with HHH forever.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

[...]

Given the fact that Dave's done more character work in the last couple years than Rock did starting out, I fully believe it. Drax is the outlier among his film credits as of late.

Also, he's talked about doing a last match with HHH forever.

Guardians might not be high brow but he seems to respect Gunn's work.

• Options
    Congratulations to Whippy

• Options
    Yeah I can see Dave's point. I mean look at Rock's career, its basically "its the rock in *blank*" same with John Cena. Bautista tries to expand his acting beyond just his physical size.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also I see Shawn Micheals went the full gunslinger facial hair. I wonder what's his solution for mustache hairs in food.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    John Cena's first major role was in Trainwreck and recently fuckin killed it in Blockers

He is an extremely good comedic actor and is absolutely more than just a generic action star

Batista is throwing plenty of stones for a dude who is in a Marvel franchise, played a Bond henchman and is in a comedy as a big scary Hitman later this year

(That's why I hope it is kayfabe, I think Batista is a very good actor and appreciate that he is doing shit like Dune but throwing Cena, especially, under the bus is pretty shitty considering the bulk of his filmography)

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.