As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh absolutely. I was back very briefly a couple of months back and was like "Oh I'll be going to bars and stuff in a real city again, do I need to pack anything more fancy than the hiking clothes I will have been wearing for a week in colorado?"
    *thinks back to living in Boston*
    "... nah."

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I felt like that returning from anywhere in Scandinavia to Germany. Or from France to Germany. Or from Greece to Germany.

I suspect 90 percent of Europe dresses fancier or about 2 years ahead in fashion at least than Germany. Which isn't hard when the most continuous fashion trend here is functional hiking/camping clothes or more recently overpriced work wear.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about the general fashionability of rural Alberta

It's a good thing I like jean jackets.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Tbf my barometer is shifted because whatever weird shit I wanna wear in nyc makes no one bat an eye and is not even that out there
    But going to other places then I’m weird or noticeable

poo
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I bought a new shirt today

I couldn't not

waqhwsjemzgr.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    My leather coat is wearing out. The cuffs on the sleeves are splitting open, the snaps at the side are tearing free, there's sme spots on the collar from being rubbed by seatbelts or laptop bag straps. It's what you get when you wear a coat for a couple of decades, so it's not too surprising. If it's any indicator of the age, the brand on the tag is "Exit USA", which was not (as far as I was aware) a political statement when I got it.
    Searching for "Exit USA Leather Coats" brings up a couple of eBay listings and PoshMark, but no website or vendors and a surprising amount of information on moving to Canada.

Anyway, it's time to replace my coat. Thing is, I don't know what this style of coat is called and I figure that might help me narrow the search a bit.
    So, I figured the Fashion thread might be able to help me out towards that end, so I can at least have an idea of what to look for.

o5xrnhfc0h83.jpg

In my searching, the closest I've come is this from Wilson's Leather: https://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/big-tall-wilsons-leather-2-button-lamb-blazer.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn&selectedOption=104515
    But I prefer the weight of cow leather to lamb.

So, any suggestions on what to look for?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I got a made to order leather earlier this year by Independence Brothers. They've definitely got that style available, and you get to pick your leather type and so on.

Fit's pretty good and it's held up well so far (although obviously it's nowhere near well used yet), although it'll run you more than Wilson piece I reckon.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    ay76qjogodh8.jpg

Decided to give Stitch Fix a shot and I like the stuff they sent me.

The long sleeve shirt is nothing special but it's functional. The vest and shoes are my favorite for sure.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    My leather coat is wearing out. The cuffs on the sleeves are splitting open, the snaps at the side are tearing free, there's sme spots on the collar from being rubbed by seatbelts or laptop bag straps. It's what you get when you wear a coat for a couple of decades, so it's not too surprising. If it's any indicator of the age, the brand on the tag is "Exit USA", which was not (as far as I was aware) a political statement when I got it.
    Searching for "Exit USA Leather Coats" brings up a couple of eBay listings and PoshMark, but no website or vendors and a surprising amount of information on moving to Canada.

Anyway, it's time to replace my coat. Thing is, I don't know what this style of coat is called and I figure that might help me narrow the search a bit.
    So, I figured the Fashion thread might be able to help me out towards that end, so I can at least have an idea of what to look for.

o5xrnhfc0h83.jpg

In my searching, the closest I've come is this from Wilson's Leather: https://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/big-tall-wilsons-leather-2-button-lamb-blazer.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn&selectedOption=104515
    But I prefer the weight of cow leather to lamb.

So, any suggestions on what to look for?

Schott makes nice leather coats according to multiple friends of mine. (I just have a wool car coat from them, but it's also been good aside from needing new buttons after a few years)

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Finally got my hands on the suit and shirt that I had made. Reason I went with a custom is that it is the only suit that I own and while I rarely need one this year seems to be an exception. Three museum events and two weddings. So if I'm gonna have to have one, might as well make it good.
    8E3e4Rjl.jpg

And the liner is awesome.
    SHvpcdal.png

The liner material is, well, it's the liner but it's also under the collar, and is the liner on the vest as well. There's even a bit of extra fabric in the chest pocket if I want to pull it out as a pocket square.

Not pictured are my beloved dress shoes with red laces (I always swap the laces to match/pop a bit more). Here's a stock photo of 'em.
    7grsu3ksj3pv.png

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Jeff Goldbloom has beaten the game, fully leveled up and is just doing side quests at this point.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I've been out getting fashions

2onjuunygd7l.jpg

awaiting a tie but I fear it won't arrive in time

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    That suit rules

I think I have the same dress shoes as you zip, though a darker color brown

I need to lose my gut so I can fit into my suits again by 2022

poo
  • Options
    LLeeLLee Registered User new member
    So I have an interview next week

It's likely going to be below freezing here again (over exaggeration), so there's no way in hell I'm destroying my feet and shivering all day by wearing heels.

The attire for the interview is "business casual", but it's for a video game company, so I think there's a bit of leeway there.

I have some really conservative, flat knee-high boots in black ...I'm planning on wearing my newly-purchased black blazer, and perhaps a nice color'd button-down underneath it. For pants, do you guys think black skinny pants would be okay? Perhaps even my very dark blue skinny jeans?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am not well versed in what's business casual or not, but those sound like good looks that are reasonably professional looking for all but the stuffiest of business cultures.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Presuming you're dressing femme since you mentioned heels/high boots, I think you should be fine with that outfit

In my experience business casual in tech has often leaned more casual than not and the overly male offices tend to be more confused by womens' fashion than anything, so you have leeway

If you want to play it even safer you could bring the change of shoes and swap when you get there

I'd probably lean black jeans over the blue to make it slightly less casual

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    so I got this ad on facebook:

za2tc02fmo8h.png

and I'm not gonna lie gang... I'm tempted

I've often been bothered by my nice button down shirts bulging out around the gut when I tuck them in, and this could be a neat solution

yes I'm aware this is just the Seinfeld "manssiere" idea for Millenials, but damnit it's pertinent to my day to day

thoughts?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Notice how the guy wearing it is already jacked

I'm sure products like that exist but I'm not sure if you want to buy that exact one.

A cursory look at Amazon suggests UnderArmor makes a compression shirt too, I'd probably go with that

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Compression shirts aren't that unusual in the sportswear section, yeah.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    unforch shipping and taxes of UA stuff here adds arounds 50 dollars flat to any purchase I make so No Dice

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Presuming you're dressing femme since you mentioned heels/high boots, I think you should be fine with that outfit

In my experience business casual in tech has often leaned more casual than not and the overly male offices tend to be more confused by womens' fashion than anything, so you have leeway

If you want to play it even safer you could bring the change of shoes and swap when you get there

I'd probably lean black jeans over the blue to make it slightly less casual

As a man who works in tech, I can confirm this is true.

Not joking either. My understanding of business casual is:

wear some kind of shirt with buttons
    black jeans or chinos
    shoes that are not trainers. Doesn't have to be leather but look "smartish"?

And that's for people wanting to dress more masc (I think that's the correct term, I'm happy to be corrected if there is a better way of describing that).

@LLee , what you described you're planning on wearing sounds great for an interview IMO. @cello is on the money with black jeans over blue.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

They can be useful for certain workouts I hear, but really I'd say that if you want to look jacked in a tight t-shirt, there's one really good way to do that..

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

They can be useful for certain workouts I hear, but really I'd say that if you want to look jacked in a tight t-shirt, there's one really good way to do that..

Please say the way is eating lots of tiramisu

• Options
    No don't be stupid.

It's multiple 20 piece boxes of nugs from maccas

• Options
    I don't know if compression shirts are even the right article of clothing tbqh. as far as I know they are designed for boosting atheltic preformance and, more realistically, showing off you sick gains at the gym in style brah

whereas the shirts I'm looking for are meant to conceal my fats in the most discreet and comfortable way possible

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    There's no shame in trying it and seeing if it has the desired effect

Spanx actually has a whole line aimed at masc-presenting folks, and I can speak to their quality on the feminine side anyway; some dresses just really require you use 'em

https://spanx.com/collections/mens

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Shapewear then. That's a thing, too. Yust try it, I guess?

As long as the fabric isn't too slippy so your overshirt untucks too easily and you feel comfortable with the constant compression, I'd say its fine.

Just, like, be careful with claims that it helps with back pain and posture? That seems to get into the realm of medical shapewear and should be indidually fitted and shuld probably be done at a medical supply store.

edit: should've refreshed. What Cello says.

honovere on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't know if compression shirts are even the right article of clothing tbqh. as far as I know they are designed for boosting atheltic preformance and, more realistically, showing off you sick gains at the gym in style brah

whereas the shirts I'm looking for are meant to conceal my fats in the most discreet and comfortable way possible

compression shirts are mostly marketed toward athletes but they will absolutely conceal your fats in very discreet and comfortable ways

I mean there's only so much they can do, but they'll get the job done about as well as anything else

• Options
    I have bought a new big coat from Uniqlo:

MEN ULTRA WARM HYBRID DOWN COAT

It is so warm.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    But is it the warm that is past warm? Is it... ULTRA WARM!?

sig.gif
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Got about 4 - 4 1/2 inches taken off the beard this morning. I feel much lighter.

Also, I needed a break from random guys stopping me to talk about my beard.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Great, now what are we going to do when the Philistines start some shit?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    But is it the warm that is past warm? Is it... ULTRA WARM!?

Can confirm. Felt ultra warm in it

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    so I got this ad on facebook:

za2tc02fmo8h.png

and I'm not gonna lie gang... I'm tempted

I've often been bothered by my nice button down shirts bulging out around the gut when I tuck them in, and this could be a neat solution

yes I'm aware this is just the Seinfeld "manssiere" idea for Millenials, but damnit it's pertinent to my day to day

thoughts?

men would frequently wear stays/jumps/corsets(unboned) from the renaissance to the late industrial era

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I have bought a new big coat from Uniqlo:

MEN ULTRA WARM HYBRID DOWN COAT

It is so warm.

In blue kinda looks like Scott pilgrim's jacket, just needs an X-Men patch

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't get it

My quest for affordable bit comfortable business casual shoes continues

They need to not be chunky Dad chukkas or chunky hikers and not be sneakers

This cheap pair of Vans knockoffs managed to have even less arch support than the deliberately flat Vans, which is kind of impressive TBH, but is causing pain from toes to my shoulders