As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Robot Wars] SRW 30 Out Now! Shout Out Your Attacks! EXPANSION PACK Announced!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ohhh... I'm happy about this. Hard Mode still tends to be a bit too easy but I hated EX Hard because of the no upgrade thing.

• Options
    animenyoanimenyo Registered User new member
    Damn! No custom bgm. I really enjoy that feature in z3. I only own switch. Cannot play v and x, since I don't have Ps4 or vita. Also couple more months for dlc. They're kinda expensive for me.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    For those who care, AGTP just released their 2.0 translation patch for SRW3.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    animenyo wrote: »
    Damn! No custom bgm. I really enjoy that feature in z3. I only own switch. Cannot play v and x, since I don't have Ps4 or vita. Also couple more months for dlc. They're kinda expensive for me.

Well, you can change the music for all your units, but only from an approved list of music, which I still kind of count as custom bgm.

First thing I did was give Guy a theme that didn't have any singing.

• Options

Well, you can change the music for all your units, but only from an approved list of music, which I still kind of count as custom bgm.

Its just my small complain. I used to play srw since alpha gaiden and srw's music right now is getting much better. Btw, everyone says this game is much easier. Is it true? Compared to og, z3??

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Its just my small complain. I used to play srw since alpha gaiden and srw's music right now is getting much better. Btw, everyone says this game is much easier. Is it true? Compared to og, z3??

I've only played OG1 so far of the OG games, and wouldn't call that hard. The new games aren't especially hard though for a few reasons:

There are Sub-Orders to keep non-sortie'd pilots (in V & X) or anyone (T) caught up with either Kills or EXP. You can also send people out for extra Funds (Mech Upgrades) or TacP (currency to buy skills, entire-fleet-passive-upgrades, and power parts/accessories).
    These Sub-Orders are made even more powerful in T, and open from the beginning of the game there.
    There's the previously mentioned passive bonuses you get to buy for your whole fleet. There's 4-6 levels of them depending on the game with 3 choices each per level. In NG+s you keep the old bonuses and can get more.
    You are no longer limited in how many skills a pilot can have.
    You buy pilot skills through a universal currency now and can stack them on singular pilots to create super pilots, or spend them on weaker ones to buff them up easily even if you haven't been sortie'ing them or feeding them kills.
    And perhaps most importantly: You can use Spirit commands on the enemy turn now. Cheap Foresee casters with high spirit pools and regen become godly support units to protect your weaker units.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Heads up. The Expansion came out in English too.

PSN Link (Singapore Store)
    https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/product/HP0700-CUSA14934_00-EST003SRWEXPPACK?smcid=web:psn:primary nav:search:super robot wars t
    SGD29.90

eShop Link (HK eShop)
    https://store.nintendo.com.hk/70050000012963
    $159 HK

There's also been a brand new DLC, not part of the DLC package, for the main game that came out sometime in May that I didn't notice called the Replay Support Pack that comes with power parts and two additional DLC scenarios.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I can confirm that I have successfully bought the expansion (as well as the later in-game DLC) for both. I will give impressions when I play them.

From those that have played them, they noted increased difficulty compared to the main story.

There's a LongRun playthough of it on Youtube if someone wants to see it.
    Edit #2: Your Clear save from the Expansion can be used to play the expansion again or to use it as a clear save to go back into NG+ of the normal game.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I can confirm that I have successfully bought the expansion (as well as the later in-game DLC) for both. I will give impressions when I play them.
    How to buy from hongkong eshop? I couldn't even enter hongkong eshop for switch even after i made new hongkong account. It asked me to enter weird online code.
    wgejzm8clay6.jpg

animenyo on
  • Options
    How to buy from hongkong eshop? I couldn't even enter hongkong eshop for switch even after i made new hongkong account. It asked me to enter weird online code.
    wgejzm8clay6.jpg

You have to buy from the eShop website. Then they email you the code within a minute or two. I linked it a couple posts above. And from that you can also go to the page with the game and all the other DLC as well.

The official HK Nintendo eShop takes international credit and debit cards.

• Options

[/]You have to buy from the eShop website. Then they email you the code within a minute or two. I linked it a couple posts above. And from that you can also go to the page with the game and all the other DLC as well.

The official HK Nintendo eShop takes international credit and debit cards.

Thanks for the answer. Still waiting for my copy, though.

• Options
    Completed my second run through the game.

For the first run my strategy was to have everyone huddle up in a big square and pick the enemy off as they came at me one by one. For my second run, my main strategy was to send the Tyranado Rex and New Arhan into the swarm of enemies and watch all the opponents die during the Enemy Phase. Got a lot more SR Points that way.

But there is something I noticed during my second playthrough. Every character in the game appears to be useable. Sure, not everybody can be Gunbuster, but most of the second-stringers seem to put in decent performances.

Which brings me to Fa. Who just kind of sucks. She does hardly any damage, and her Spirits are rather uninspiring. Perhaps it's not Fa, but the Methuss and Hyaku Shiki (which I switched her to later on) are just really bad machines? Maybe she would've done better in one of the F91s? I guess she's supposed to be a support character? But she's not really any good at that job either. Other characters have better support Spirits and the Gespenst and Noble Gundam have Repair modules and can do decent damage as well.

I feel like I must be missing something with Fa, because she can't be as terrible as she appears, right? She must have some use beyond just fighting Mashymre a few times?

• Options
    Fa has really weak stats. If you wanna use her you gotta buff those. She does have really good Support spirits though.

As for the Methuss, leaving it in ship/rubber ducky mode with an Extra Arms+ makes it decent. But you also might wanna use the Extra Arms+ on another mech (like the Ichinana along with another Power Part to make the ranged attack the later/more powerful attack).

My first playthrough I gave Fa about +30 in all her stats, the Extra Arms/EA+, and a tepair/resupply device and associated skills and used her as a support with some bite. She has the cheapest Wish in the game, as well as having Prospect.

• Options
    I want to make the Eldora Soul my God Mech.

• Options
    Fa has really weak stats. If you wanna use her you gotta buff those. She does have really good Support spirits though.

As for the Methuss, leaving it in ship/rubber ducky mode with an Extra Arms+ makes it decent. But you also might wanna use the Extra Arms+ on another mech (like the Ichinana along with another Power Part to make the ranged attack the later/more powerful attack).

My first playthrough I gave Fa about +30 in all her stats, the Extra Arms/EA+, and a tepair/resupply device and associated skills and used her as a support with some bite. She has the cheapest Wish in the game, as well as having Prospect.

Ah, see, I never really needed to use Prospect.

But yeah, Wish is pretty good. I just... I dunno, by the time people started getting Wish I was already so used to using Repair/Bless/Cheer, that having all three of them in one Spirit command somehow never really registered for me and I've never used it.

• Options

Ah, see, I never really needed to use Prospect.

But yeah, Wish is pretty good. I just... I dunno, by the time people started getting Wish I was already so used to using Repair/Bless/Cheer, that having all three of them in one Spirit command somehow never really registered for me and I've never used it.

When it's only 30SP for the combination of them you should be using it.

• Options

Super Robot Wars V & X coming to Switch and... drum roll.... STEAM!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I wonder how they plan to get away with selling it on Steam given the IP morass this game makes up. I can only think of them selling it as a Japanese-language only release with a wink wink nudge nudge English "fan patch" popping up shortly after. Bandai Namco has been coming up with creative ways to sell it to the west while skirting western copyright for a few entries now.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    As I mentioned in the Steam thread, it'll probably get an English-script release for Southeast Asia. From there the problem is if other regions (like the US) would be able to purchase it.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I wonder how they plan to get away with selling it on Steam given the IP morass this game makes up. I can only think of them selling it as a Japanese-language only release with a wink wink nudge nudge English "fan patch" popping up shortly after. Bandai Namco has been coming up with creative ways to sell it to the west while skirting western copyright for a few entries now.

Heh, I was a fan of Granblue Fantasy's approach of having their game being available in Japan only, but not being region locked and also coincidentally having an English language option.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Heh, I was a fan of Granblue Fantasy's approach of having their game being available in Japan only, but not being region locked and also coincidentally having an English language option.

I mean, that's already the case with the Asian English versions of the last four games already.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The rightsholders for western distribution of many of these mecha properties are infamously litigious, for console asia-english releases there was plausible deniability in "well we can't control whether a customer purchases from overseas retailers", not so much when you yourself leave it open for NA customers to directly buy from you. More likely you're going to need a VPN or similar roundabout for any language purchase, much less asia-english.

• Options
    If only western companies understood the value of the marketing.

I've bought a ton of mecha series blu-rays since being introduced to this franchise. And have gotten more interested in mecha as a whole again.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I mean, that's already the case with the Asian English versions of the last four games already.

To clarify their English language option was done in house by a professional localization team specifically for the Western market.

As opposed to most SEA English translation which are, uh, at least understandable I suppose.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

To clarify their English language option was done in house by a professional localization team specifically for the Western market.

As opposed to most SEA English translation which are, uh, at least understandable I suppose.

Well... after Moon Dwellers. Moon Dweller's translation is.... yeah... it's rough. As you can see on the first page of this thread.

But V, X, and T's translations are all fantastic.

• Options

I've bought a ton of mecha series blu-rays since being introduced to this franchise. And have gotten more interested in mecha as a whole again.

Yeah, after playing T I suddenly found myself interested in picking up some mecha anime.

I didn't because they're not really available where I live, but, y'know, if they had been available around where I live I might've.

• Options

Yeah, after playing T I suddenly found myself interested in picking up some mecha anime.

I didn't because they're not really available where I live, but, y'know, if they had been available around where I live I might've.

I've been happy a lot of classic series have been getting blu-ray rereleased lately.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

That's half the reason they're so happy to license their shows to SRW, it's a hell of a gateway drug to other mecha shows.

It got me to watch Cross Ange.
    (Mistakes were made.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Cross Ange is a fantastic trainwreck example of a series with a great concept and terrible execution.

It still has great music and there's enough good stuff there to salvage in SRW, in the same way that Gundam Seed gets salvaged.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Cross Ange is a fantastic trainwreck example of a series with a great concept and terrible execution.

It still has great music and there's enough good stuff there to salvage in SRW, in the same way that Gundam Seed gets salvaged.

For every five minutes of badass mecha action there's twenty minutes of mindless fanservice.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I was more annoyed with stuff like a character suicide bombing and then being perfectly alive and unhurt in the next episode.

The series did at least have some good character moments, mostly with Hilda.

• Options
    V and X Asian Ports.
    October 3rd. English. Switch.
    Includes the DLC for free.

Steam version date TBA.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Haha...I watched Cross Ange after playing SRW too...yeah umm its a good example of a show that would have been much improved by having less fanservice and actually focusing more on the plot.

• Options
    Meanwhile, here I am having finally beaten SRW W! I'm sure it's been like five years since I left off my save but I managed to push through the latter third-or-so of the game over the last week or two.

Of all the non-OG games, this one is neck-and-neck with Z for what I most want translated.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    SRW DD is out if anyone cares. Mobile game that's apparently a bit like FFRK in that you earn the units from missions and get their attacks from gacha.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    SRW DD is out if anyone cares. Mobile game that's apparently a bit like FFRK in that you earn the units from missions and get their attacks from gacha.

It wasn't supposed to release till the 10th. Someone, somewhere, fucked up. But they updated the official wikis and did an official announcement just earlier and are rolling with it now.

• Options
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1031500/SUPER_ROBOT_WARS_V/

SRW V Steam Page is up for preorder. Unfortunately, the page is region locked to Asian countries. And using a VPN to buy games is against Steam's TOS and can get you banned if they care enough.

• Options
    Unfortunate but expected.

Here's hoping we get G-Generation Cross Rays though!

Right?

...Right?

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    Unfortunate but expected.

Here's hoping we get G-Generation Cross Rays though!

Right?

...Right?

Gonna import that anyways. Not sure if Switch or PS4 though.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    The Steam release of SRW V is out, and having played the first couple of scenarios works reasonably well. The mouse interface is a bit awkward feeling, and inconsistent. Left mouse to confirm, right to cancel, but not always. I sat on an early transition for quite a while because LMB wasn't doing anything, turns out I had to press enter. Battle animations also seem to stutter a little, I'm not sure why as it doesn't appear to be a particularly graphically intensive game.

Overall a functional port, although a bit lazy seeming.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.