As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sekiro] - Forumers Die Alot (Free DLC in October 2020)

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    Ok, so here's a funny question (Sunken Valley, Late? Game Spoilers):
    After you kill the Giant Serpent, you end up on the other side of that valley — is there any other way up there? Because I managed to fall off the edge IMMEDIATELY like the clumsiest dang ninja ever. I have a sneaking suspicion the Malcontent's Ring is up there...

No, there's no way back and yes it's very easy to accidentally fall off immediately (I did too). I looked it up though and you aren't missing anything important, it's just a few consumables (though one of them is the rare 'restore a resurrection' item).

In other news I killed the monkey, 6 tries in the end so not actually too bad when you aren't playing on tilt like I was last night.

Pro tip: spear

Or specifically
    shove it down his neckhole and drag when he falls over flat

Does this have a special, upsetting animation
    you pull the centipede infesting it out of his neck

I wish I had known this. I feel like there wasn't enough context to know that tools did stuff like this!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    RE: NPC requests

You can fulfill both requests for help, though I'm not far enough to know of the consequences of each
    I sent the big dumb guy to the merchant and the haunted samurai to the doctor

Also I found the pure white flower after I'd already sent the guy off with an inferior version :(

Pro tip: if you want a free attack upgrade go the Temple route ASAP, the 'boss' there is basically a freebie.

Pure white flower sends big guy somewhere else (it's where I sent him)
    He goes to the hall of illusions to watch over all the dead divine children or whatever

Also, the jerk blue samurai at the top of the castle can drop confetti, all.

This means one of the chains isn’t doable and you have to choose, right?
    Two npcs want you to send dudes, and there are two to send. But the pure white flower means you’re out a dude. Presumably the flute-seeking samurai also has his own line that makes him end up somewhere else.

Unless there are one or two more npc’s looking for somewhere to go the quest lines seem to exclude each other. This hurts me on a core level, even though I know that’s how these games do.

Yes, I can't resolve one of the NPC quest lines I believe, though I'll confirm later since it's not completely locked off yet.

Please @ me if it seems certain later in the game, I’ve held off resolving them for now due to HEAVY STRESS. But also I wouldn’t be surprised if waiting too long is also a bad choice.

@honk so, I've pushed this storyline further and I think that it might lock out another npc, but it's not resolved yet. Spoilers for NPCs and questlines, shouldn't have any story spoilers:
    Note, I don't know if the true end game alters any of this yet.

The merchant, Anayama?, in the castle outskirts wants a big tough dude and right now we've only found Kotaro in the Mountain and the Bewitched Soldier at the castle well.

Kotaro wants a pure white flower, pinwheel you'll find easily, and if you give it to him he'll then want to be spirited away to a story location. Nice resolution, reward of Taro Persimmon (super posture consumable), but locks him up in there and he will never leave to help the merchant.

Bewitched Soldier is listening to the song of O-rin, who you mandatory run into later. You have two options with him, send him to the dungeon or let him be. Ostensibly he'll find his way to O-rin in some way if you leave him be, but I sent him to the dungeon without really thinking about it because I'm a gruff shinobi or something.

The dungeon story is p interesting! But during it the Bewitched Soldier disappears, probably dead, so that locks him out for the merchant. Also, at nearing end game (known because of a big obvious change), the dungeon doctor has disappeared as well. I've not yet tracked him down, but given his condition I super don't think he'll be amenable to profitable labor.

SO: If you 100% want to resolve the merchant storyline you should give Kotaro the red and white pinwheel rather than the white one. Barring that, you should not send the Bewitched Soldier to the dungeon. That said, you will not be able to resolve the dungeon storyline. Rewards all seem to be tool upgrade resources/consumables.

Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I’ll have to think about which way to go with them.

I’ll probably put it off for a few more hours. :P

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    So, one of my most significant complaints about this game is that, due to the single primary weapon and no armor, 98% of all pickups (no matter how well hidden) are Balloons or Candy.

Too often I get hyped about figure out how to get over there, and the game is like "yo, I heard you were looking for some of dat Yellow Gunpowder."

I'm a little surprised that there is just no change at all to your primary weapon and combat arts are so limited. That's one place where I would have liked a bit more character action game influence.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    So, one of my most significant complaints about this game is that, due to the single primary weapon and no armor, 98% of all pickups (no matter how well hidden) are Balloons or Candy.

Too often I get hyped about figure out how to get over there, and the game is like "yo, I heard you were looking for some of dat Yellow Gunpowder."

I'm a little surprised that there is just no change at all to your primary weapon and combat arts are so limited. That's one place where I would have liked a bit more character action game influence.

Your mind was the primary weapon all along

*taps fo-Y O U D I E D

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think the only combat art I ever used was mortal blade. Everything else seemed more clunky than just hitting people normally.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    The combat arts make grinding gold a little less tedious than hit-hit-kill or deflect->deflect->kill

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Flowing Passage is great and I wish I had acquire it ASAP.

Ichimonji and Nightjar Reversal both have contexts where I really appreciate them.

I kinda feel like Emblems are precious enough that I'd rather not spend them on those Combat Arts that require them.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    I think the only combat art I ever used was mortal blade. Everything else seemed more clunky than just hitting people normally.

I would like to talk about this and combat arts in general. Most of them seem kind of useless!

Mortal blade seems bad. It doesn't do much damage or disrupt enemy animations much of the time, and it costs three emblems per slash. Great range though. Maybe I'm not seeing the damage properly.

The ashina cross also seems bad. What is the use case for this? It doesn't seem to do anywhere near the damage to justify the risk or 2 emblem cost.

The shadowrush has huge range and mobility, which is very useful and actually different. Ichimonji does a decent amount of damage and regains posture, v good. The flippy nightjar attack is really fast and seems great.

I also got the multislash from the carp scale guy and it's... just a bunch of attacks but I'm locked into them. What makes it better than just attacking a few times?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    end game boss spoiler
    Did you know Owl can Mikiri counter you?
    Very unfair, almost as bad as having to kill Genichiro twice

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Noggin wrote: »
    The somewhat unfortunate thing about resurrect is that "stand back up instead of corpse running, a limited number of times" sounds like a fun/unique game mechanic, until dragonrot comes in and it can feel more like "corpse run in reverse, then corpse run."

Ehhh it feels super-forgiving and weirdly generous of From Software, to me.
    • You can never lose more than one-half of one level's worth of XP, as opposed to like multiple levels worth of XP (Souls/BB)
    • When you die you still haven't lost anything - rez and book it.
    • If you die again well, that was kinda' your call, wasn't it?

It's far-and-away the most easy-going they've ever been about the player's death lol. Like omg remember Demon's Souls? The game actively got harder the more you died lol.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    also i missed a cutscene because my cat hit my computer's power button and I think the conversation before the final encounter was missing so i am missing v. important story that i definitely can't piece together from context

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    end game boss spoiler
    Did you know Owl can Mikiri counter you?
    Very unfair, almost as bad as having to kill Genichiro twice

This is where I am now. Very challenging but a great fight, lots of fun interactions.

I really wish I could go back and play these fights again individually like in DMC.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    What convo was it?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    What convo was it?
    Before the Owl (Father) fight. I had a prompt to talk to him but I couldn't get it to trigger, so I just attacked him, which caused the fight to start (and now he just attacks whenever I reenter the room). I assume it reveals he was the one who killed you in Hirata estate and some other stuff

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    What convo was it?
    Before the Owl (Father) fight. I had a prompt to talk to him but I couldn't get it to trigger, so I just attacked him, which caused the fight to start (and now he just attacks whenever I reenter the room). I assume it reveals he was the one who killed you in Hirata estate and some other stuff

Not really:
    He does reveal that the Hirata Estate assault was his plan, as he covets the Dragon's Heritage; he may have also "killed" you, but I don't think so. Otherwise it's mostly about the Shinobi Iron Code and the idea that you owe allegiance to the Owl above all others. You're then given the choice to Obey the Code or Obey Yourself.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah the combat arts feel like the weapon arts in DS3, expensive and largely pointless. It's very disappointing.

Slight spoiler for a post-ingredients event + conjecture
    I am extremely suspicious of basically every NPC at this point. Lord Isshin still chilling in his exposed watchtower while the place is under siege and 'enemy' purple ninjas are just down the stairs from him?

Emma teleporting between there and the sculptor despite the invasion.

Old Lady in the room where you first meet the Tengu after fighting the first boss is now talking about a demon appearing and I'm pretty sure she is the demon, possibly Tomoe in disguise or something (or Shura?).

Isshin at least I'm not buying as friendly anymore.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I feel like you haven't been drinking with your pals.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I have found many uses for Whirlwind, Ichimonji, and Floating Passage. I haven't tried Nightjar slash much and don't have any of the big secret skills. But Whirlwind is amazing for Vitality damage and hitting multiple things. I use it to carve through multiple monks when I'm farming money or sugars. Ichimonji was vital to my Genichiro fight to keep my posture down and great for posture breaking enemies.

Floating Passage is just amazing against those lone shadow bosses and enemies I just wait for an opening and go through the whole combo shaving off health even when they block.

• Options
    Nightjar is a sweet one - it's quick with a huge leaping range and it's an overhead slice so you can whack people out of the air if they start to jump.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Nightjar did work for me against Jerkface Monkey. Really good gap closer.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Are you guys playing in Japanese or English?

Cause ive been playing in Japanese, but the original game reveal trailers had some good VA, and im thinking of switching over.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    2nd tier flame vent is basically Guts' arm cannon and I am OK with this.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options

Lady B too. It shuts her down when she tries to leap up and now you're back in the attack-attack-attack-parry-attack rhythm - makes it way easier to get a poise killing blow on her.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    beat horse man in 1. gg ez no re
    is that snake killable

i stabbed him in the eye and then he fucked off but i'm not sure if he's just a preview or if i should be bactracking

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    The somewhat unfortunate thing about resurrect is that "stand back up instead of corpse running, a limited number of times" sounds like a fun/unique game mechanic, until dragonrot comes in and it can feel more like "corpse run in reverse, then corpse run."

Ehhh it feels super-forgiving and weirdly generous of From Software, to me.
    • You can never lose more than one-half of one level's worth of XP, as opposed to like multiple levels worth of XP (Souls/BB)
    • When you die you still haven't lost anything - rez and book it.
    • If you die again well, that was kinda' your call, wasn't it?

It's far-and-away the most easy-going they've ever been about the player's death lol. Like omg remember Demon's Souls? The game actively got harder the more you died lol.

It is fairly forgiving, especially with unseen aid and being able to purchase sen purses, and usually not too big a deal because you can often hook to safety and idol. And if we're comparing to the other games, the movement here is more fun.

I just think it feels a little cheesy sometimes, at least for now because there's practically 0 risk when retreating.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Yeah the combat arts feel like the weapon arts in DS3, expensive and largely pointless. It's very disappointing.

I am extremely suspicious of basically every NPC at this point. Lord Isshin still chilling in his exposed watchtower while the place is under siege and 'enemy' purple ninjas are just down the stairs from him?

Old Lady in the room where you first meet the Tengu after fighting the first boss is now talking about a demon appearing and I'm pretty sure she is the demon, possibly Tomoe in disguise or something (or Shura?).

There is a ninja passage in Kuro's room that you can use, takes you right to the sculptor. Kinda took the magic out of Emma's appearances.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    beat horse man in 1. gg ez no re
    is that snake killable

i stabbed him in the eye and then he fucked off but i'm not sure if he's just a preview or if i should be bactracking

You don't need to backtrack, it comes up much later on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's really fun to use Puppeteer and find out which enemies are basically gods against their fellow AI.

End Game Enemy Type Spoiler:
    Those Hackey-Sack Fountainhead Warriors? Yeah, one of those guys can solo that whole place just kicking Lightning Balls and one-shot everyone.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Are you guys playing in Japanese or English?

Cause ive been playing in Japanese, but the original game reveal trailers had some good VA, and im thinking of switching over.

English.

Always dubs when it's an option.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Lady B too. It shuts her down when she tries to leap up and now you're back in the attack-attack-attack-parry-attack rhythm - makes it way easier to get a poise killing blow on her.

Actually I watched a video you can apparently forego that rhythm entirely with Nightjar. If you spam it she basically cannot recover and you can cheese her whole life bar.

• Options
    Aumni wrote: »

There is a ninja passage in Kuro's room that you can use, takes you right to the sculptor. Kinda took the magic out of Emma's appearances.

Yeah but
    It's sealed off now because of the invasion, plus there is a new boss fight in Kuro's room so...

Also further speculation
    Isshin just gave me a new skill scroll that Tengu was offering but I couldn't accept because I hadn't learnt a secret skill yet. He even used the exact same dialogue.

Tengu = Isshin ?

He does look the part.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I used Nightjar a ton vs a late game boss who hops away a lot. If you're looking for it, you can catch him, but it's tight timing.

• Options
    Aumni wrote: »

Yeah but
    It's sealed off now because of the invasion, plus there is a new boss fight in Kuro's room so...

Also further speculation
    Isshin just gave me a new skill scroll that Tengu was offering but I couldn't accept because I hadn't learnt a secret skill yet. He even used the exact same dialogue.

Tengu = Isshin ?

He does look the part.

As was hinted at before in reply:
    you, well Wolf realizes it faster than the player maybe in the conversation, learn this if you give Isshin sake. You learn about Emma and the Scupltor the same way

• Options
    The Japanese acting is sooo good so I'm glad I went with that. I'll probs go English when I replay to try and be a badass but get instakilled because I don't have all the abilities.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The cavalry fight was amazing.
    The Japanese acting is sooo good so I'm glad I went with that. I'll probs go English when I replay to try and be a badass but get instakilled because I don't have all the abilities.

I'm wondering how they'll top it. Is the dub solid?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Tip for people looking for more basic upgrade materials.

If you spared the looter you can talk to in the
    hirata estates
    you find he moves to the gate before you get to the ogre under the chicken on the ledge.
    He has a bit of a quest chain that starts by asking for a small donation, do that and come back later and you'll find his stock has expanded and he asks you to gather info about what the ashina castle soldiers want. YOu can find two guys chit-chatting at the Ashina approach to the serpent shrine/sunken valley. They tell you they need salt. Relay that info and go somewhere/rest. His inventory has expanded again and he sells basic iron and black gunpowder at 150 sen a pop

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular

Actually I watched a video you can apparently forego that rhythm entirely with Nightjar. If you spam it she basically cannot recover and you can cheese her whole life bar.

I bougth the skill just to get her. So worth it because fick the camera in that fight. Also she moves too much for my old-man reflexes.

Then I went on to oneshot horsie man and big sword honcho before him, because bosses are weird in this game.

• Options
    Movitz wrote: »

I bougth the skill just to get her. So worth it because fick the camera in that fight. Also she moves too much for my old-man reflexes.

Then I went on to oneshot horsie man and big sword honcho before him, because bosses are weird in this game.

It's always interesting to see.

I only got to try her a few times but she doesn't seem that bad with my playstyle so far. Mostly *because* I'm bad at reaction based stuff I spend a lot of time sprinting around enemies waiting for openings. And very few of her attacks pose any threat while doing that. I just made a few mistakes trying to figure out what to do with stage 2 but now that I see how that's done the same "run in circles and poke her butt" strat should work there too.

• Options
    It costs 3 paper dolls to use but goddamn I love it

https://youtu.be/fivk-w43PQo

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lady B has some fun tells if you watch for them, like her swarm attack in the second phase ending in the dash attack.

wVEsyIc.png