As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sekiro] - Forumers Die Alot (Free DLC in October 2020)

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    edit: nm, misread

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is a Snap Seed required to beat Butterfly? I used it the first time, but I've pretty comfortably survived her second form without one since.

no need. The illusions time out after a while and all die in 1 hit anyway.

Big warning for this:
    if you ignore the illusions completely, she can convert them all into projectiles for a huge attack that can pretty easily one-shot you if you don't expect it. If you know it's coming, a pillar should be able to block it.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    I feel like I could ride firecrackers to faster wins but they feel....cheap?

I guess I'll see how frustrated I get with 7 spears.

Tools are meant to be used in this game. Firecrackers are good for a few free hits on minibosses but it's an opportunity for a relatively small amount of vitality/poise damage and you still need to convert that into a deathblow. Firecrackers into an axe or poison sword is pretty neat, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Butterfly barks her wares in the hades. I found out she's really, really vulnerable to just dashing to her left and slashing immediately. I almost felt bad for wasting hours memorizing her pattern.
    Almost.

That said... snakes. Why does it always have to be snakes.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I've loved everything from Demon's to Dark to Bloodborne but I think I'm just getting too old for hard video games or something (even tho I know that isn't a thing because I've played competitive multiplayer games with a lot of you jerks who have like 10 years on me and just kill everyone like it was just practice). I don't really have a temper so I've never broken a controller, it's just a feeling of profound sadness which unfortunately doesn't have a broken controller counterpart.

i'm just gonna rewrite that jam "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" into "While My Controller Gently Weeps" now or something.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Frei wrote: »
    I've loved everything from Demon's to Dark to Bloodborne but I think I'm just getting too old for hard video games or something (even tho I know that isn't a thing because I've played competitive multiplayer games with a lot of you jerks who have like 10 years on me and just kill everyone like it was just practice). I don't really have a temper so I've never broken a controller, it's just a feeling of profound sadness which unfortunately doesn't have a broken controller counterpart.

Yeah, I kind of just go

SzWM89h.gif

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Question about the castle and persons
    I’ve seen mention of Isshin [sp?] like he’s important for the story. And there was a note in the nightjar tower about talking to Emma to find him. Only I’m pretty sure I killed him already in the castle dojo. I feel confident that swordsman was named Isshin. Now I’m wondering if I fucked something up because Emma has no lines about him. I haven’t fought the Genishiro [sp?] yet - I saw he was at the top of the castle though.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Coooool!! I’ll worry less and roll with it.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    How big is the world compared to, say, the Souls games? About the same size?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Most areas have like 6-8 bonfires and there's about ten zones. So that's 70ish bonfires to DSI's 50ish, DSII's 100ish, and DSIII's 80ish. That includes DLC for the older titles though.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It feels pretty massive because the vertical scaling allows you to go multiple routes at pretty much all times. I haven't finished it yet but if you appreciate the souls games dedication to literal world building you will not be disappointed here.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    The individual zones feel generally much bigger than usual to me. You get around faster but at the same time it makes sense to tak your time the first time through and look for secrets. But the zone I’m in now has had three sections and they all feel massive - might have spent 4-5 hours in that zone alone. I would think it’s one of the bigger ones though.
    Temple

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Final boss is uninspired and tedious.

Optional End Boss should have been final boss. That fight was rad.

Which end boss and which optional boss? There are more than one of each.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Lame Boss: Sword Saint Isshin

Neato Boss: Demon of Hatred

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Is there a guide for what each prosthetic does? I feel like I'm not getting what a lot of them are supposed to do.

• Options

There's another optional boss
    In the Ashina Depths past the poison lake on the way to the Temple. Shows up after you finish Sunken Valley I think. Though I guess if you haven't been to the Temple at all until after doing all of Sunken Valley the boss isn't optional.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Is there a guide for what each prosthetic does? I feel like I'm not getting what a lot of them are supposed to do.

Not yet, but
    Shurikens
    • OP vs. dogs
    • Will hit aitborne enemies out of the sky if you catch them mid-attack animation.
    • Yes, including bosses.
    • The Chasing Slice skill will let you add a two-meter-ish forward stepping wide-sweeping slash, making it effective as a midrange opener before you get better options

Axe
    • Break shields with it.
    • Hits hard, granting a lot of posture damage if enemies block it and a lot of vitality damage if they don't
    • It's excellent for early-game minibosses, or just shattering the poise of tougher grunts

Flame
    • A nice, effective stun Vs. almost anyone once the flame debuff takes effect, but you gotta' be in close range. Once the flame debuff takes effect, wail on them with your sword 'till they recover
    • Douse them with oil first to ensure the debuff is applied with a single use

Firecracker
    • Brutally stuns any beast-type creatures - puts dogs into like a 30-second please-do-a-deathblow-on-me state - and briefly stuns even bosses
    • Slow to execute, hard to gauge perfect range on

Mist Raven
    • Gives you a massive perfect-dodge window, and if struck during that window you reappear nearby
    • That's... really kind of it, it's a super-easy super-powerful dodge.

Spear
    • I'll be honest beyond the range this isn't an improvement over the axe at all, to me.
    • I guess there are certain enemies you'll need it to strip armor off of?

And that's as far as I've gotten myself, so far.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    I've been ignoring the Umbrella, but apparently there are lots of things you can block or negate using the Umbrella.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    goddamn this dirty ape

giant snake had the decency to be easy

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

In the Ashina Depths past the poison lake on the way to the Temple. Shows up after you finish Sunken Valley I think. Though I guess if you haven't been to the Temple at all until after doing all of Sunken Valley the boss isn't optional.

Ha, I've been meaning to return to that room. It's such an obvious boss space.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Other tool notes
    Shurikens also just deal decent Vitality damage. Sometimes they can be useful to just throw a bunch into a boss to chunk them down before you start parrying to get Vit low with safety.

The knife thingy poisons.

Mist Raven is also VERY GOOD with fang and blade. It makes it so after you reappear you can instantly dash in from behind to get a free attack. The one upgrade makes this faster and cost less I believe? The other one sounds like it deals damage on poofing.

https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Prosthetic+Tools

• Options
    edited March 2019

If we're talking the temple with the
    Awesome but clearly evil Buddhist monks,
    I think I got there without evenin finding this sunken valley. I went through a very short underground sequence with a bunch of immortal little gollum bastards, but you could just grab the items and grapple up to the beams in the ceiling and sail right past them.

I think I missed something?

Also where do I get this umbrella? Based on everything I've heard I want this umbrella.

(Googles.) Oh okay. Should be able to score that tonight ^.^

Chance on
  • Options
    Other tool notes
    Shurikens also just deal decent Vitality damage. Sometimes they can be useful to just throw a bunch into a boss to chunk them down before you start parrying to get Vit low with safety.

The knife thingy poisons.

Mist Raven is also VERY GOOD with fang and blade. It makes it so after you reappear you can instantly dash in from behind to get a free attack. The one upgrade makes this faster and cost less I believe? The other one sounds like it deals damage on poofing.

https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Prosthetic+Tools
    I can't stress enough how good Mist Raven is. I don't even have it upgraded but it's a guaranteed dodge combined with a guaranteed charged thrust/double overhand cut/3-4 hit combo most of the time. Even for the well ninja I got enough time to do those.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I love spears, but the spear tool seems borderline useless. It only seem effective against enemies who will die to three sword strikes anyways.

More tool discussion:
    The Sabimaru short sword inflicts poison and later upgrades will do damage through block, which is very useful. It's also a flurry of attacks that can slip fluidly into your regular attacks, so you get a nice loop. I haven't used it extensively but it seems like a general purpose damage output tool that will help you get the opponent's vitality down.

The umbrella makes parrying much easier and blocks everything but sweeps, and the upgrade lets you hold the block while hitting your L1 to deflect, reducing the risk of deflection to zero. I think holding block also makes enemies more eager to sweep, at which point you can punish them with a jump. Basically if you want to close out a fight or a phase, the umbrella lets you spend emblems to stay much safer. Also you feel like Captain America.

As I've mentioned, on top of its other uses, the axe has armour on its attacks - regular attacks won't interrupt your axe animations. Only big beefy attacks will. So you can force your way to some posture damage with it.

• Options
    Speaking of what can and can't interrupt attack animations - often the worst thing you can do when you see that DANGER ATTACK thing flash up is back up and play defensive. It seems that most minibosses have one unblockable attack that can't be interrupted, while their others can - so you just keep on wailing on them with the sword to knock them out of whatever Screw You they're charging up, and if they don't get knocked out of it it's That One Move You Can't Interrupt so get ready to jump over the sweep or stomp on the thrust.

Handee!

• Options
    Ok, so here's a funny question (Sunken Valley, Late? Game Spoilers):
    After you kill the Giant Serpent, you end up on the other side of that valley — is there any other way up there? Because I managed to fall off the edge IMMEDIATELY like the clumsiest dang ninja ever. I have a sneaking suspicion the Malcontent's Ring is up there...

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've spent most of the day at work having Sekiro in the back of my head and thinking about how I'll enjoy getting kicked right in the mean bean machine as soon as I'm back home.

21z9zz7g49nx.png

• Options
    After you kill the Giant Serpent, you end up on the other side of that valley — is there any other way up there? Because I managed to fall off the edge IMMEDIATELY like the clumsiest dang ninja ever. I have a sneaking suspicion the Malcontent's Ring is up there...

No, there's no way back and yes it's very easy to accidentally fall off immediately (I did too). I looked it up though and you aren't missing anything important, it's just a few consumables (though one of them is the rare 'restore a resurrection' item).

In other news I killed the monkey, 6 tries in the end so not actually too bad when you aren't playing on tilt like I was last night.

Pro tip: spear

Or specifically
    shove it down his neckhole and drag when he falls over flat

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »

No, there's no way back and yes it's very easy to accidentally fall off immediately (I did too). I looked it up though and you aren't missing anything important, it's just a few consumables (though one of them is the rare 'restore a resurrection' item).

In other news I killed the monkey, 6 tries in the end so not actually too bad when you aren't playing on tilt like I was last night.

Or specifically
    Sekiro: I'll cut off your head and spear down your neck!

Duke Nukem: (nods approvingly)

• Options

Or specifically

Does this have a special, upsetting animation

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    RE: NPC requests

You can fulfill both requests for help, though I'm not far enough to know of the consequences of each
    I sent the big dumb guy to the merchant and the haunted samurai to the doctor

Also I found the pure white flower after I'd already sent the guy off with an inferior version :(

Pro tip: if you want a free attack upgrade go the Temple route ASAP, the 'boss' there is basically a freebie.

Pure white flower sends big guy somewhere else (it's where I sent him)
    He goes to the hall of illusions to watch over all the dead divine children or whatever

Also, the jerk blue samurai at the top of the castle can drop confetti, all.

This means one of the chains isn’t doable and you have to choose, right?
    Two npcs want you to send dudes, and there are two to send. But the pure white flower means you’re out a dude. Presumably the flute-seeking samurai also has his own line that makes him end up somewhere else.

Unless there are one or two more npc’s looking for somewhere to go the quest lines seem to exclude each other. This hurts me on a core level, even though I know that’s how these games do.

Yes, I can't resolve one of the NPC quest lines I believe, though I'll confirm later since it's not completely locked off yet.

Please @ me if it seems certain later in the game, I’ve held off resolving them for now due to HEAVY STRESS. But also I wouldn’t be surprised if waiting too long is also a bad choice.

@honk so, I've pushed this storyline further and I think that it might lock out another npc, but it's not resolved yet. Spoilers for NPCs and questlines, shouldn't have any story spoilers:
    Note, I don't know if the true end game alters any of this yet.

The merchant, Anayama?, in the castle outskirts wants a big tough dude and right now we've only found Kotaro in the Mountain and the Bewitched Soldier at the castle well.

Kotaro wants a pure white flower, pinwheel you'll find easily, and if you give it to him he'll then want to be spirited away to a story location. Nice resolution, reward of Taro Persimmon (super posture consumable), but locks him up in there and he will never leave to help the merchant.

Bewitched Soldier is listening to the song of O-rin, who you mandatory run into later. You have two options with him, send him to the dungeon or let him be. Ostensibly he'll find his way to O-rin in some way if you leave him be, but I sent him to the dungeon without really thinking about it because I'm a gruff shinobi or something.

The dungeon story is p interesting! But during it the Bewitched Soldier disappears, probably dead, so that locks him out for the merchant. Also, at nearing end game (known because of a big obvious change), the dungeon doctor has disappeared as well. I've not yet tracked him down, but given his condition I super don't think he'll be amenable to profitable labor.

SO: If you 100% want to resolve the merchant storyline you should give Kotaro the red and white pinwheel rather than the white one. Barring that, you should not send the Bewitched Soldier to the dungeon. That said, you will not be able to resolve the dungeon storyline. Rewards all seem to be tool upgrade resources/consumables.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i just got the dragonrot reset thing

should i be using it

i don't plan on not dying in the future

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

should i be using it

It’s not hard to get more

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited March 2019

should i be using it

Dragonrot simply locks out side-mission dialogue from NPCs, near as I can tell. So what you wanna' do is use the tear to cleanse it when you wanna' go after side quests, and get comfy with the idea that the rot will re-assert itself the next time you get stuck on a boss.

The other method to keeping it to a dull roar is to rez yourself and book it back to the nearest checkpoint - play it a little safer - instead of letting enemies actually get a final deathblow on you. If you die and self-rez it doesn't contribute to dragon rot spreading - only the deaths that send you back to the checkpoint.

Edit: so when you fight an Actual Boss and the room seals itself off? Rot's gonna' spread. It's either beat the boss or die, 'cause I haven't met one who seems like they'd give me the time to use the homeward idol.

Chance on
  • Options

should i be using it

Best use is after you've died a lot and gotten some rot victims and then beaten the boss/area in question

• Options
    So, one of my most significant complaints about this game is that, due to the single primary weapon and no armor, 98% of all pickups (no matter how well hidden) are Balloons or Candy.

Too often I get hyped about figure out how to get over there, and the game is like "yo, I heard you were looking for some of dat Yellow Gunpowder."

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I finally beat the monkey last night as well, after clearing everything else because that fight ugh.

Then I zenned it right before bed and had to stop myself from progressing ;;

• Options

Or specifically

Does this have a special, upsetting animation
    you pull the centipede infesting it out of his neck

sig.gif
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The somewhat unfortunate thing about resurrect is that "stand back up instead of corpse running, a limited number of times" sounds like a fun/unique game mechanic, until dragonrot comes in and it can feel more like "corpse run in reverse, then corpse run."

Battletag: Noggin#1936