As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    By the way some crazy shit is happening in A Link to the Past RE: speedrun strats.

Oh great, so another Zelda game speedrun degenerates into "do a weird dance and launch yourself directly into Ganon's tower".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure ALttP has had a loading room-skip all the way to the Triforce chamber for actual decades now.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah that trick in particular, there's a faster way to clip into Ganon's Tower. So it's not doing anything new (yet).

If I had to guess, the nature of the trick miiiight land it as being okay for glitch categories? Not that I sit on the Council of Speedrun Druids that makes those decisions.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Since I brought up replaying OoS a page back, I gotta add to that and say it is crazy how much of a science that game puts behind guided progression in a virtually open environment. You just zip from one part to the next while trappings of auxiliary content and flavor-detours surround every move. And it's really something else to play a Zelda that's so clearly inspired by Zelda 1, using maze structure and enemy placement more so than standalone puzzles to botteleneck progression. The couple dungeons I've done could improve a score or two from incorporating a little something from the latter description to help fill out the length, but it's a damn fine game.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Beat Cadence, 5 hours 56 minutes. Speedruns, here I come.
    I know I missed a lot. Apparently there's a thing that tells you how to get through Lost Woods? I just trial-and-error'd it.
    And people were talking about an unlockable character? I didn't get that, what have I missed?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    By the way some crazy shit is happening in A Link to the Past RE: speedrun strats.

Oh great, so another Zelda game speedrun degenerates into "do a weird dance and launch yourself directly into Ganon's tower".

Every speed run in history simply devolves into Dance Dance Revolution.

It is known.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IL4Iu1U3ww

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I know I missed a lot. Apparently there's a thing that tells you how to get through Lost Woods? I just trial-and-error'd it.
    And people were talking about an unlockable character? I didn't get that, what have I missed?
    You should be able to find Tingle on the second Lost Woods screen. Solve his puzzle to wake him up to get the item.

How to get the character:
    Then give him 10 Deku seeds for double SP. And another 10 for the unlockable character.

Also
    There's a cave full of scrubs behind a bombable wall in the lost woods that you'll need to do it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    You should be able to find Tingle on the second Lost Woods screen. Solve his puzzle to wake him up to get the item.

How to get the character:
    Then give him 10 Deku seeds for double SP. And another 10 for the unlockable character.

Also
    There's a cave full of scrubs behind a bombable wall in the lost woods that you'll need to do it.
    You can also look at enemy spawn positions to find the path - the enemy that's different spawns by the correct exit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    cqvif2rykop5.jpeg

I just... need you all to remember Spinch today. Thank you.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    This is probably an odd thing to say but.... HOLY COW DOES THIS FEEL LIKE A COMPLETELY NEW GAME ON A TV, UNDOCKED!

Moved the Switch into the living room and eith the pro controller everything feels fresh again!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    cqvif2rykop5.jpeg

I just... need you all to remember Spinch today. Thank you.

That horse is a two star stamina horse at best! Spinch could do better

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is that real? I've never run into Spinch before.

• Options
    Oh yeah, he rides around the general area of the massive lakes in the Faron region.

His obliviousness to the huge electric dragon that goes right past the bridge is unknown. Maybe one Spinch has seen it and the other hasn't.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Gosh, just think, we could find out what Spinch is doing in the sequel!

The more I think about it the more I want all 400+ characters to be used again.

Just drop them all in different spots and let them interact. Maybe have a Tarrey Town style quest to rebuild Castle Town. I’d love to see that kid queen of the Gerudo speak with Zelda, or Paya becoming the next Impa type person as her grandma passes on etc.

But still, I’m betting on a Dark World adventure.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Oh yeah, he rides around the general area of the massive lakes in the Faron region.

His obliviousness to the huge electric dragon that goes right past the bridge is unknown. Maybe one Spinch has seen it and the other hasn't.
    The dragon's name is also "Spinch".

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Finished Cadence of Hyrule today. I liked it, but not quite as much as some other people on the internet, apparently. I love the idea of a Zelda music/rhythm game, but not really this specific style of game. I don't like the whole randomly generated aspect of it - I wish the world, levels and dungeons had actually been crafted by hand. The difficulty curve was practically nonexistant, and there are just way, way too many items in this game. I pretty much never 75% of them because there wasn't really a need to do so.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Neveron wrote: »
    The thing to realize about Metroidvanias is that Symphony of the Night wasn't inspired by Super Metroid - it took its design cues from A Link to the Past, with a dash of Castlevania 2 for good measure.

And LttP is pretty metroidvania in its structure, what with how you can do the light world/dark world dungeons in different orders and just need your item-shaped keys to open those problem-shaped locks (like a double jump in Symphony or Hammer in LttP).

So yeah, I'd agree with the idea that some early Zeldas are metroidvanias. Mostly just LttP, though.

Why just lttp? Even zelda 1 had areas gated by the ladder, raft, power bracelet etc.

And the overworlds of Links awakening/oracle/minish cap were just straight up metroidvania gated.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I think people forget just how much room to graze the old Metroid games give you. Hell, I could beat Zelda 1 without outside help but needed a map for Metroid.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The thing to realize about Metroidvanias is that Symphony of the Night wasn't inspired by Super Metroid - it took its design cues from A Link to the Past, with a dash of Castlevania 2 for good measure.

And LttP is pretty metroidvania in its structure, what with how you can do the light world/dark world dungeons in different orders and just need your item-shaped keys to open those problem-shaped locks (like a double jump in Symphony or Hammer in LttP).

So yeah, I'd agree with the idea that some early Zeldas are metroidvanias. Mostly just LttP, though.

Why just lttp? Even zelda 1 had areas gated by the ladder, raft, power bracelet etc.

And the overworlds of Links awakening/oracle/minish cap were just straight up metroidvania gated.

Zelda 1 relies waaaay less on the whole lock/key aspect later Zeldas codified. It's a good exploration-focused game for sure, but it's very different in how it works.

Link to the Past is mostly just the one I point to because it's so open-ended at times, especially since you can choose between multiple dungeons at times. Personally I've always found the nonlinearity to be crucial for metroidvanias, although I can understand if you don't agree.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Zelda 1 relies waaaay less on the whole lock/key aspect later Zeldas codified. It's a good exploration-focused game for sure, but it's very different in how it works.

Link to the Past is mostly just the one I point to because it's so open-ended at times, especially since you can choose between multiple dungeons at times. Personally I've always found the nonlinearity to be crucial for metroidvanias, although I can understand if you don't agree.

Unless you are intentionally sequence breaking all the metroids and igavanias were fairly linear though. There were some variations on order but for the most part it was “you need this power up to proceed, which happens to be held by this boss”. In some cases you might get a Bioware choice, where its “Do these three things to get past the obstacle in whatever order you want but you need to do all of them to proceed” but those are in the 2d zeldas as well.

The zeldas tended to have a lot of story based signposting as to what you were supposed to be doing at a given time, but thats true for the later metroid and castlevania games too.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Kind of wishing I hadn't bought the dlc. The horse armor that teleports it to you is great, but all the rest is pretty meh.

Especially bad is the trial of the sword, which wants you to fight enemies using the shittiest weapons in the game and if you die you have to start all over. Fuck that.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Kind of wishing I hadn't bought the dlc. The horse armor that teleports it to you is great, but all the rest is pretty meh.

Especially bad is the trial of the sword, which wants you to fight enemies using the shittiest weapons in the game and if you die you have to start all over. Fuck that.
    Did you not read what the DLC was all about before getting it?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

The new divine beast area has a rough start but gets better.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

I read it was a bunch of little things and then more story stuff expanding on the champions.

But the champions stuff is postgame apparently so I haven't gotten to that yet i'm just talking about what i've experienced of it so far.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I read it was a bunch of little things and then more story stuff expanding on the champions.

But the champions stuff is postgame apparently so I haven't gotten to that yet i'm just talking about what i've experienced of it so far.

Ah, I didn't have the dlc until I beat the game so I didn't expect much during the game. Never found most of the ex armor.
    Never did the trial of the sword either, it's not for me.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Champions' Ballad is not post-game. Late game for sure but not post.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The trials have lots of detailed walk throughs. They arent that hard if you know what's coming and where secret chests are

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think the DLC was worth it just for the tracker on the map showing me where I hadn't explored yet when I was chasing down the last dozen shrines.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    So just when I was thinking how much Seasons' focus on perilously patterned and at times claustrophobic monster placements rings true to the developer's pedigree in the RE series, I get to the gate to Tarm Ruins: "Fill these distinct recesses with four key items of the same visual theme to open the way!" All the more true to form, the one I've found so far was just sitting around somewhere, not locked behind a quest or level or anything. Kinda love it.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    one thing they better "fix" is if you have 47 armor sets (made up number) you better let me have room to keep all those armor sets. Also, a dang cookbook.

• Options
    I liked the armor system in BotW, but given how often I needed to swap between armor sets, I really wish they had user-defined item sets like many games of this sort do. I suspect that that's more complexity than they wanted to implement, but it would have decreased my time-spent-in-inventory by like 75% percent.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I liked the armor system in BotW, but given how often I needed to swap between armor sets, I really wish they had user-defined item sets like many games of this sort do. I suspect that that's more complexity than they wanted to implement, but it would have decreased my time-spent-in-inventory by like 75% percent.

I was so lazy that I just left on whatever I had even if it didn't give me any bonuses.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    one thing they better "fix" is if you have 47 armor sets (made up number) you better let me have room to keep all those armor sets. Also, a dang cookbook.
    I'm confused, was there not enough room to hold all armor pieces in the game? I never ran into that problem.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I'm confused, was there not enough room to hold all armor pieces in the game? I never ran into that problem.

I think there might be enough to get everything in the base game, but I remember that people were having issues with amiibo armor way back when and the DLC armor worsens the issue.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I think there might be enough to get everything in the base game, but I remember that people were having issues with amiibo armor way back when and the DLC armor worsens the issue.

Yeah. I remember there was enough room to get all the base stuff but they didn't bother to increase the inventory when they added the DLC armor.

It has been awhile since I last played so maybe they fixed it by now. Either way it was(is?) an issue that 95% of the player base would likely never run in to, but certainly frustrating for that last 5%.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

I was so lazy that I just left on whatever I had even if it didn't give me any bonuses.
    For the most part, that was the case for me as well. When running around I was usually wearing either the stealth armor or the climbing armor, but frequently I'd forget to switch out of [whatever armor] when I was done using it. Which is fine! The game was just lovely without my needing to micro-manage that stuff non-stop! But, it would have been nice if some convenience options were there for those cases when I did need to swap between sets.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I didn't like that you couldn't upgrade any of the DLC armor.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I didn't like that you couldn't upgrade any of the DLC armor.

Well it was a place holder for the main dlc so I suspect it was kind of a rush job

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I could've sworn I was holding onto every piece of armor including DLC. Are you sure it's not Amiibo generated stuff that's the problem?

• Options
    For armor I just make sure I have every set that can be upgraded before getting anything to four stars. Then I upgrade things by set in a certain order (mostly usefullness) and have every set go from helm to armor to pants. Keeps things easy to find and all the DLC stuff and masks tend to get lumped together.

This discussion has been closed.