As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kinda reminds me of Gold Skulltulas in HW1.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oh man, more gameplay. IT IS AWESOME!!!! I so can't wait for this game.

https://youtu.be/MlA1YxQAO6M?t=4252

It starts around 1 hour 10 minutes 52 seconds or so.

Edit: Has the full BotW map, weapons don't break, outfits from BotW.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    If the koroks are in the game I fully EXPECT to be able to chuck golden turds at the enemies because ... Someone has got to pay, LOL.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    What if playable Hestu

and that's his weak point smash

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    yahaha!

...oof

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://youtu.be/Qt4V5hayZ-A

Master Kohga and a new, shadowy wizard character? I hope both are playable. It's nice to see a new(?) dark wizard antagonist being added in. Always here for more BoTW lore.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This Master Kohga guy makes me think of Voldo in a late-career slump showing up for an easy check.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    wizard guy gives me the Yuga vibe (Link between worlds).

• Options
    Oh yeah, more Master Koga hilarity. Now we'll see why the Yiga find him so dreamy.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Woo! Demo of Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is live! Demo save moves over to the full game as well!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity-switch/

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Age of Calamity story spoilers from the demo:
    Time travel. Like boom, right from the get-go. Little egg guardian travels back in time from the moment Hyrule falls to Ganon.

So they can basically do whatever they want with the plot and file it under "well time travel". Up to and including possibly jumping to the future after BotW, and maybe even retconning it (all the guardians now live).

Not that I'm really against any of that. It's just a bit shocking how fast they just threw that onto the table. So this ain't no simple prequel tale no more.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Slowly downloading the demo, how's the framerate?

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Time travel. Like boom, right from the get-go. Little egg guardian travels back in time from the moment Hyrule falls to Ganon.

So they can basically do whatever they want with the plot and file it under "well time travel". Up to and including possibly jumping to the future after BotW, and maybe even retconning it (all the guardians now live).

Not that I'm really against any of that. It's just a bit shocking how fast they just threw that onto the table. So this ain't no simple prequel tale no more.
    Had a feeling that cloaked new guy in the Yiga trailer was going to tie into the BotW sequel. This makes just makes it stronger.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah, even if this actually ends up the same way... the opening scene suggested endgame from the BotW history, with the last stands at Akkala and such.

It throws my hypothetical timeline out the window.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

I wouldn't say it's buttery smooth or anything, but I don't have a problem with it. It feels like Hyrule Warriors did on the Wii U. It'd be nice if it were 60fps, but at the same time there's still a month of work to go so things could get better.

I have absolutely no friggin' idea how to play as Impa or Zelda. Their mechanics are completely different to Link's more standard hack-n-slash. I feel like I need a guide to sit me down and walk me through them. But it's great that their playstyle is so diverse.

I'm curious how far the demo goes. 2 stages in, and now I've just unlocked the 4 missions to presumably get the 4 guardians, so I presume you can get them and play around with them before the demo ends.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

I wouldn't say it's buttery smooth or anything, but I don't have a problem with it. It feels like Hyrule Warriors did on the Wii U. It'd be nice if it were 60fps, but at the same time there's still a month of work to go so things could get better.

I have absolutely no friggin' idea how to play as Impa or Zelda. Their mechanics are completely different to Link's more standard hack-n-slash. I feel like I need a guide to sit me down and walk me through them. But it's great that their playstyle is so diverse.

I'm curious how far the demo goes. 2 stages in, and now I've just unlocked the 4 missions to presumably get the 4 guardians, so I presume you can get them and play around with them before the demo ends.

The systems feel kind of awkward and cumbersome compared to the previous Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors games, but in roughly the same way that Breath of the Wild felt awkward and cumbersome.

That actually is the end of the demo, if you try to select those missions it won't let you.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

The systems feel kind of awkward and cumbersome compared to the previous Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors games, but in roughly the same way that Breath of the Wild felt awkward and cumbersome.

That actually is the end of the demo, if you try to select those missions it won't let you.

Cockteases. :P

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, even if this actually ends up the same way... the opening scene suggested endgame from the BotW history, with the last stands at Akkala and such.

There's a weird possibility that the new Zelda game might actually be a sequel to this game's timeline instead.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

There's a weird possibility that the new Zelda game might actually be a sequel to this game's timeline instead.
    Time for the timeline to split a second time. A fair price to pay for keeping Mipha around.

I enjoyed the first couple of missions and now just waiting for the rest of the game to unlock. Seems like there are a lot of crafting etc here. So far Zelda is my favorite of the early three, but still trying to figure out her whole moveset.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Yeah the framerate could be better but it's playable, hoping the release and future patches can improve it.

Impa you use ZR to mark an enemy near you with a symbol. When you attack the marked one with a strong attack combo you get a blue ninja clone that copies you and changes/augments your strong and special attacks. Each additional symbol adds more clones and increases power.

• Options
    i was having a ton of fun with calamity but i had a few issues come up.
    1. the camera on zelda kept getting locked in close and i don't know what i was doing to cause it or fix it.
    2. i'm going to have to stare at the manual because i could not figure out how to get the zelda attacks i wanted (rolling bomb is what i wanted but it seemed to show up randomly, although i am a button masher sometimes)
    3. impa is really fun and the fact she becomes practically invincible in some of her combos was hilarious in fighting some of the mini-bosses

so far i think there are a lot of improvements but the one thing i wish they did was making locking on easier than pushing in the R stick. it just never feels intuitive to me.

• Options
    Zelda is tricky because her combo is shorter. Her strong attacks are just the magnesis wobble and the rolling bomb.

Use her runes liberally - she gets much stronger effects out of them than Impa or Link do.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Zelda is tricky because her combo is shorter. Her strong attacks are just the magnesis wobble and the rolling bomb.

Use her runes liberally - she gets much stronger effects out of them than Impa or Link do.
    Like the other characters, once you hit the map, you can spend resources on an upgrade to expand Zelda's moves. Unlike Link and Impa, who gain a new "C5" (press YYYYX) strong attack for their first upgrade, Zelda's is a follow-up to her "C1" strong attack (press XX).

For those not yet acquainted:
    The "combo" system for Warriors games consists of pressing weak attack (Y) 0 to 5 times, followed by at least 1 strong attack (X). Each of these sequences performs a different strong attack. The way they're referred to by players uses "combo notation" represented by "C" and a number. This number = the amount of weak attacks (Y presses) + the first strong attack (X). Thus:
    - C1 = Press X
    - C2 = Press YX
    - C3 = Press YYX
    - C4 = Press YYYX
    - C5 = Press YYYYX
    - C6 = Press YYYYYX

Some combos let you press weak or strong attack afterward to follow-up with more hits. For example in the first Hyrule Warriors:
    Link's C2: (Y) Weak Slash > (X) Leaping upward strong slash. While midair: (Y up to 5×) Up to 5 additional air-juggling weak slashes or (X) Downstab w/ AoE Shockwave. After landing: (X) trademark spin attack.

Some follow-ups only unlock from upgrading a warrior's moves, like Age of Calamity Zelda's sole upgrade in the demo.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Yikes. I really hope they work on optimizing a bit more because damn that frame rate is awful. It’s not that pretty of a game either, so it’s kind of embarrassing.

The game is still fun but I’m far from impressed by the demo.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They should just do what they did with Fire Emblem Warriors and have a Quality Mode and Performance Mode.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    They should just do what they did with Fire Emblem Warriors and have a Quality Mode and Performance Mode.

I get the feeling the “performance mode” might be “Spend $300 and play it on the upgraded system” mode, like with Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Switch Pro announcement forthcoming.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I'm concerned about the level selection screen just becoming littered with random missions and upgrades with no structure whatsoever. It's already bad enough in the demo, is it just going to keep increasingly filling up?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm concerned about the level selection screen just becoming littered with random missions and upgrades with no structure whatsoever. It's already bad enough in the demo, is it just going to keep increasingly filling up?

Even if it does, you can hit the shoulder buttons to get to lists of missions by category. Needs to be better called out, because it's much better than hunting on the map!

Polaritie on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Impa is more like Imba. She is ridiculously powerful because getting her special powered up is brain dead easy. When you have a billion clones each hitting mobs the special meter builds up in chunks every time they all hit. It's great.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Is there a way to change the button layout to a zelda layout like in the first hyrule warriors?
    B to dodge instead of attack is messing with me chronically.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Is there a way to change the button layout to a zelda layout like in the first hyrule warriors?
    B to dodge instead of attack is messing with me chronically.
    Not in the demo. No idea about the full game.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Heh, I went with Warriors style for the original, but that's because I had previously attempted to play Warriors Orochi 3. (I should maybe try that game again). Anyway, the game really should have the control options the first game had.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Man I loved the demo. It's really neat how runes are different for each character. Take bombs. For no good reason, here is how each rune works for the characters in the demo.

Bombs:
    Link chucks some bombs straight ahead, can be aimed.
    Impa uses a small whirlwind to draw enemies in before blowing them up.
    Zelda summons a big version of the mini guardian that launches bombs out of it's top. Can be controlled.

Cryonis:
    Pillar erupts directly under Link, launching him up before he stands on it. Can use glider when airborne.
    Impa summons a pillar directly in front of here with a small pillow on top. Press strong attack to ride the pillar around. Can use it to wall jump to get airborne.
    Zelda launches ice spikes at the ground that can be blown up with ZR. Can be aimed.

Stasis:

For Link an Zelda, stops enemies in place. Attack to build damage and launch distance.
    Impa is s little different. She stays stationary for the duration with regular attacks replaced with fast strikes to build damage and launch.

Magnesis:
    Link's is short range, grabbing the first metallic object in range, including enemy weps. Holds it in front of him for a bit as he walks around, damage enemies before it's dropped. Fails if no metal is in front of him but incurs no cooldown. Against enemies with a hammer, he has to wait until they throw it at him. Then he can grab it midair and fling it at them.
    Impa grabs all nearby metal, including enemy weps, into a giant club. Guess what she does next.
    Zelda grabs all nearby metal, including enemy weapons, into a clump. Can walk around to aim before launching it forward. If there is no metal around, she pulls random stuff from the ground so it can always be used.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I just started playing the demo myself. I really do like how Zelda's moveset works with the runes. Not only does she have way stronger versions of them, but they all seem to interact with her ZR mechanic, which mostly seems to serve to explode any lingering objects created by the runes. It's a satisfying little way of setting up the battlefield for big damage.

I don't know exactly how her special attack works (she takes the enemy's photo and they die), but it's very amusing.

I'm interested to see how the other champions interact with the runes. I imagine most of them will use Cryonis to launch into the air, if they have aerial moves to use.

So far, Link is the easiest to use, probably because I played a lot of HW1, and he's got a lot of carry-over from that game. Impa is pretty wild, and obviously really strong, but I need practice with her seal mechanic. Seems you can't maintain it indefinitely, like you could Sheik's water barrier in HW1. Zelda seems like the most potentially fun, with lots of big explosions, but her main attack string is awkward. Funnily enough ,it seems like Zelda's intended to use the Runes as her main combat option, with her attack string being used as a secondary choice if she's out of charge.

Enlong on
  • Options
    There's likely a wep affix that reduces the cooldown on runes. Stack that and you'll have the Zeldanator.

• Options
    Found two things I haven't seen mentioned. Found a blupee on the second stage. Missed the initial attack and it disappeared. Also found a lizalfos boomerang. Just strong attack will throw it, otherwise it functions like any other one hander.

I so want this game.

• Options
    Yeah, I loved finding that out. Was not expecting that attention to detail. I wonder if you can get a Deku Leaf.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Got my old WiiU kinda working. It seems to power down if I hook up an HDMI cable, so playing game pad only.
    Started over on BotW. Trying a run where I don't do any story after the plateau until I've got the master sword. I've got so many other games I should play, but BotW has just been on my mind and I've wanted to relive it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Still trying to figure out upgrading weapons in age of calamity, so far it’s reminding me of weapon synthesis in transformers devastation.

• Options
    i'm really impressed by how much story they shoved in calamity. really digging it!

This discussion has been closed.