As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I still haven’t done much shield surfing, because I’m always worried I’ll need one and I used it.

Surfing on snow and sand does zero shield durability damage. Surfing in general does low durability damage, unless your trying to surf on solid stone.

Here's a detailed explanation of the mechanic.

https://youtu.be/v94fGbxiE9w

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I still haven’t done much shield surfing, because I’m always worried I’ll need one and I used it.

Surfing on snow and sand does zero shield durability damage. Surfing in general does low durability damage, unless your trying to surf on solid stone.

Here's a detailed explanation of the mechanic.

https://youtu.be/v94fGbxiE9w

I had a bad intro to surfing. I was at 1/2 health (so 1.5 hearts) and the game had been been badgering my to try surfing for awhile. So on a low grassy hill in Hyrule Field I jumped on. The damaged wooden shield instantly broke throwing me down and killing me. It was maybe 80 hours before I bothered to try again.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've surfed exactly once

to get that one korok

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I surf everywhere that's downhill.
    Even on rough ground, I never do enough damage to seriously imperil my supply of shields. Just use the crappiest one, and I generally find a replacement crappy one before it's worn out.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Instead of needing a shield to surf, perhaps they could take a page from Monster Hunter World and introduce sliding. I found sliding in Monster Hunter World quite fun.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    They should expand shield surfing. Sword skiing. Greatswordboarding. Moblin-corpse-luge.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They should remove durability altogether to make shield surfing both more fun and more reliable.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Instead of needing a shield to surf, perhaps they could take a page from Monster Hunter World and introduce sliding. I found sliding in Monster Hunter World quite fun.

The sliding in MHW is so dope.

So is using the clutch claw in the few locations it can actually grapple. I'm glad to see the MH:Rise claw-like-thing can be used anywhere.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Is it like the sliding in the Star Wars Fallen Jedi game? Although that one is only at certain spots.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Is it like the sliding in the Star Wars Fallen Jedi game? Although that one is only at certain spots.

Not sure, haven't played it. In Monster Hunter World, if you run down a piece of land that has a steep enough slope, your character jumps into a slide and starts gaining tremendous speed as long as you continuously hold the run button. Honestly, I think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't turn it into a minigame or something, it's real fun.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Not sure, haven't played it. In Monster Hunter World, if you run down a piece of land that has a steep enough slope, your character jumps into a slide and starts gaining tremendous speed as long as you continuously hold the run button. Honestly, I think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't turn it into a minigame or something, it's real fun.

It also has unique attacks you can make out of it. Some of them are very strong (That glorious hammer spin)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Reminder that early tomorrow we should see the first gameplay footage of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity from TGS

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Reminder that early tomorrow we should see the first gameplay footage of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity from TGS

Someone has 10 minutes of game play up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg7ItajzNkA

30ish minutes till IGN's stream starts.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Not gameplay, but:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkYzYWsRLks
    Pre-order to get a ladle? Sold!

• Options
    edited September 2020

Gameplay looks good.

Edit: Posted basically the same thing. lol

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Finally beat Breath of the Wild last night! I had to look up the locations of memories 12 and 13 (no way was I finding memory 13 after not playing for 3 years), but everything else I figured out myself. Such a great game.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Not gameplay, but:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkYzYWsRLks
    Pre-order to get a ladle? Sold!

Yeah, my wife pre-ordered the digital one to get the ladle. I have the physical copy on pre-order so we don't have to share. HAHAHAHAHA!

Gameplay looks good.

Edit: Posted basically the same thing. lol

Yeah, I can't wait to play this now. Also BABY SIDON!!!!! Impa's powers are awesome, like the monk battle.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Impa looking like Paya is one of those "Well duh-doy" moments for me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Replaying BotW (because I have no common sense), and it's going to be fun to reconcile Zelda's "oh no it's the calamity and I'm useless in battle without my power that hasn't awakened yet" with whatever she does in this new game where she's going to be casually killing bokoblins by the dozen.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Replaying BotW (because I have no common sense), and it's going to be fun to reconcile Zelda's "oh no it's the calamity and I'm useless in battle without my power that hasn't awakened yet" with whatever she does in this new game where she's going to be casually killing bokoblins by the dozen.

I mean, to be fair you could kill 1,000 bokoblins with basic weaponry and still not have the mystic power to contain "the Calamity". It's on a whole other level of power, canonically.

I am ignoring how freaking easy the last boss was when I fought them since I fought them with straight up the best gear I could find and full health and upgraded armor and shitloads of food, etc.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhh myyyyyyy goooooooooood! Just put in my veins! Ninja Impa! Shield surf attack! Just, everything Urbosa! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I mean, to be fair you could kill 1,000 bokoblins with basic weaponry and still not have the mystic power to contain "the Calamity". It's on a whole other level of power, canonically.

Specifically I just got to the memory where she herself states that she may 'not be much use on the battlefield'.
    Like I said, she's going to be racking up multiple thousand kills right after that.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It’s okay because gameplay is only ever vaguely canon in anything.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Specifically I just got to the memory where she herself states that she may 'not be much use on the battlefield'.
    Like I said, she's going to be racking up multiple thousand kills right after that.

Watch as she's the last playable character of the set.

As a rough guess to how things will go:
    1-Link main, calamity starts. Impa added early as playable because Impa.
    2a-2d-Recruit the four heroes and get the divine beasts set up, one at a time. Unlocks the four heroes here.
    2e-Divine beasts activate! Take the fight to Ganon... but...
    3a-Oh no, Ganon hijacks everything. Desperate fighting retreat. Heroes start biting the dust or are otherwise unavailable.
    3b-Last stands on the other routes forces are retreating?
    3c-Link goes down in epic "slay 1000 guardians" fight.
    4-Zelda takes the fight back to Hyrule Castle solo to seal Ganon until Link reawakens. The only part of main story Zelda is playable.

Add some plot twists, etc as needed, but I think that gives plenty of structure for the main mode to have tons of stages. Need an excuse to get up into the snowy mountains maybe for a change of scenery.

And then my ideal is that the side mode brings back a bunch of characters from the first Hyrule Warriors to unlock. Either directly or their movesets at least.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Watch as she's the last playable character of the set.

As a rough guess to how things will go:
    1-Link main, calamity starts. Impa added early as playable because Impa.
    2a-2d-Recruit the four heroes and get the divine beasts set up, one at a time. Unlocks the four heroes here.
    2e-Divine beasts activate! Take the fight to Ganon... but...
    3a-Oh no, Ganon hijacks everything. Desperate fighting retreat. Heroes start biting the dust or are otherwise unavailable.
    3b-Last stands on the other routes forces are retreating?
    3c-Link goes down in epic "slay 1000 guardians" fight.
    4-Zelda takes the fight back to Hyrule Castle solo to seal Ganon until Link reawakens. The only part of main story Zelda is playable.

Add some plot twists, etc as needed, but I think that gives plenty of structure for the main mode to have tons of stages. Need an excuse to get up into the snowy mountains maybe for a change of scenery.

And then my ideal is that the side mode brings back a bunch of characters from the first Hyrule Warriors to unlock. Either directly or their movesets at least.
    Conversely
    put 4 first to unlock Zelda immediately for the side modes and then 1-3 is the story of how it got to that point.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    What if a Guardian...was also R2D2?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    What if a Guardian...was also R2D2?

More proof that the true Sith Lord was Artoo all along.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh. Young Hestu. Wields 900 koroks and 2 maracas.

m9o0vsmm6mk5.png

I have this feeling we’re getting this guy now I’ve realised they can redesign him slightly, if they wish. Plus a forest rep for the heroes just makes sense in a classic Zelda elements sort of way.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Thunder Helm acquired.

Yes I cheesed the Yiga fortress with Ancient Arrows.

No I don’t regret it.

• Options
    Thunder Helm acquired.

No I don’t regret it.

If this game doesn't directly bar you from doing something, it isn't cheese. :+1:

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Thunder Helm acquired.

No I don’t regret it.

At this stage of my old, parent, gamer life, I see nothing wrong with looking up guides/strats online to finish a game or get through a tough section. People that say it's "dishonorable" or "against the game's design" are the same people that think throws in fighting games are "cheap".

If it's not directly cheating in a multiplayer world, then I say use whatever codes, difficulty settings, or walkthroughs you want.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    holy crap this is really interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKq7y_rNEmI

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Re: shield surfing: they should have tutorialized it better, I kept wanting to do it and I could not remember the combination of button presses to do it, ever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Re: shield surfing: they should have tutorialized it better, I kept wanting to do it and I could not remember the combination of button presses to do it, ever

I remember it coming up in a tool tip iirc, then couldn't remember it in game when I wanted to try it. Not sure I ever came across the tutorial for it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    New trailer for Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rga6woeDzUw

ROBBIE! PURAH!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    My guess is that we'll also have secondary 'made up' characters from the other races that may or may not meet an untimely end at the ... uh ... end. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a character for Links senior/master that had a variation of Links moves but more grounded in reality. Too bad we'll barely get to know them before they croak.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    My guess is that we'll also have secondary 'made up' characters from the other races that may or may not meet an untimely end at the ... uh ... end. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a character for Links senior/master that had a variation of Links moves but more grounded in reality. Too bad we'll barely get to know them before they croak.

Hmm, they do mention his Father so maybe he's still alive in this time? I haven't read much about him.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.