As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The NEMESIS stuff puzzles me, I've had the game since January, 2019, and was able to order a second copy of the game for a friend by adding it to my earlier order. There is a bunch of add-on items, like expansion aliens and expansion crew classes which look like they will arrive in November/December 2019. Are there still people who ordered the base game as part of the original KS and still have not received it ?

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    jergarmar wrote: »
    `
    Speaking of Kickstarter, there's a campaign for a game called Virtue Signalling which is exactly as frustrating as it sounds, and I was really disappointed with Kickstarter for not doing something about it after a bunch of reports had been sent (I know this having sent one myself, and seeing a bunch of comments on the page about groups organizing reports). So unfortunately a bunch of "moderate-center" types will get their product, but on the plus side, BGG is refusing any edits to the game's page so it's stuck with just a cover photo and description, and they're actively moderating the game's forums too.
    It's actually making me want to cancel my Calico pledge more than anything else, because I'm just so frustrated they won't take action on something that's a product of hate (something that's literally in their terms of service). :|

Well, I get why BGG would have the forum on lockdown, and I'm no fan of the tone, but what makes it a violation of the Kickstarter TOS? At first glance I thought it would just fall into that category of offensive party games like CAH.

They're making frequent rape and consent jokes; absolutely against the TOS.

Ah. They made a big deal about their humor "punching up", sounds like they might not be totally consistent there.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The NEMESIS stuff puzzles me, I've had the game since January, 2019, and was able to order a second copy of the game for a friend by adding it to my earlier order. There is a bunch of add-on items, like expansion aliens and expansion crew classes which look like they will arrive in November/December 2019. Are there still people who ordered the base game as part of the original KS and still have not received it ?

Yes, if you selected 1 shipment to save money you haven't gotten anything yet. That's all supposed to be shipped by the end of the month.

• Options
    `
    Speaking of Kickstarter, there's a campaign for a game called Virtue Signalling which is exactly as frustrating as it sounds, and I was really disappointed with Kickstarter for not doing something about it after a bunch of reports had been sent (I know this having sent one myself, and seeing a bunch of comments on the page about groups organizing reports). So unfortunately a bunch of "moderate-center" types will get their product, but on the plus side, BGG is refusing any edits to the game's page so it's stuck with just a cover photo and description, and they're actively moderating the game's forums too.
    It's actually making me want to cancel my Calico pledge more than anything else, because I'm just so frustrated they won't take action on something that's a product of hate (something that's literally in their terms of service). :|

Well, I get why BGG would have the forum on lockdown, and I'm no fan of the tone, but what makes it a violation of the Kickstarter TOS? At first glance I thought it would just fall into that category of offensive party games like CAH.

They're making frequent rape and consent jokes; absolutely against the TOS.

Ah. They made a big deal about their humor "punching up", sounds like they might not be totally consistent there.

Their humor NEVER could have been punching up; they're mocking marginalized minorities.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Yes, if you selected 1 shipment to save money you haven't gotten anything yet. That's all supposed to be shipped by the end of the month.

The base game, after two plays, could use some variety anyhow. You're not missing out on too much if you got stuck waiting.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

The base game, after two plays, could use some variety anyhow. You're not missing out on too much if you got stuck waiting.

I'm good with it. I almost always pick 1 shipment for their stuff. I didn't for Tainted Grail because most of the extras are meant to be played after the main game I think.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I'm good with it. I almost always pick 1 shipment for their stuff. I didn't for Tainted Grail because most of the extras are meant to be played after the main game I think.

That reminds me! I should see if one of my local cardboard home residents ended up backing Tainted Grail.

I meanwhile am patiently / frugally waiting on more Spirit Island to be done.

• Options

That reminds me! I should see if one of my local cardboard home residents ended up backing Tainted Grail.

rrrrg want Spirit Island that thing is taking sooooooooooooo loooooooooooong

but i mean really if we're making a list of KS games that are taking too long we gonna be here all week bitches

• Options

rrrrg want Spirit Island that thing is taking sooooooooooooo loooooooooooong

but i mean really if we're making a list of KS games that are taking too long we gonna be here all week bitches

I've been tiding myself over by finally delving into Tooth & Claw and the Nemesis cards, but we're on the same page. I do appreciate the effort Reuss puts into tuning, though, so I don't mind the wait that much.

Would be good if it didn't beat the digital version to release at least.

• Options
    I REALLY want Planet Apocalypse to show up. We were supposed to have it in August but then the Director fucked up the proofs and a bunch of stuff got printed on paper instead of 3mm cardboard so that had to be delayed while they reprinted all that stuff and now they strangely won't answer questions as to where the games actually are now.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Spirit island is a game I really want to get a component upgrade. Its not like "terraforming Mars player boards are a piece of paper" bad but I just really wish it's game board wasn't so thin and like the explorers have proven very fragile. Its just the price point doesn't match to my mental blocks because of the quality

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I am waiting for my catacombs third edition and champions of the wild to show up.

Now I am debating backing zombicide 2nd edition.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spirit island is a game I really want to get a component upgrade. Its not like "terraforming Mars player boards are a piece of paper" bad but I just really wish it's game board wasn't so thin and like the explorers have proven very fragile. Its just the price point doesn't match to my mental blocks because of the quality

oh hell yes that map is ugly as balls

• Options

If you have Zombicide you don't need more Zombicide.

That's written on a stone tablet somewhere

• Options

Hmm I don't own any CMON game at the moment. My shelf's demand a plastic tribute.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Hmm I don't own any CMON game at the moment. My shelf's demand a plastic tribute.

then go for it. Zombicide is tons of fun. Also, consider Village Attacks which is also on KS now and that my group likes even more.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

You could just buy a cheap used copy of one of the million older zombicides though instead of paying way more and waiting unknown aeons for pretty much the same thing...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

You could just buy a cheap used copy of one of the million older zombicides though instead of paying way more and waiting unknown aeons for pretty much the same thing...

Certainly true!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for 3-8 player games that can be played in under an hour and are on the lighter side for players who aren't typical gamers? I'm thinking things like Barenpark.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for 3-8 player games that can be played in under an hour and are on the lighter side for players who aren't typical gamers? I'm thinking things like Barenpark.

Codenames.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Codenames.

Secret Hitler
    Mysterium
    Great Dalmuti
    Captain sonar

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Codenames.

Secret Hitler
    Mysterium
    Great Dalmuti
    Captain sonar

Citadels is probably the relative-heavy end of this set, but good.
    Guillotine would work, though it might not go all the way to 8.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Off the top of my head, games I often pull out for 8 players:

Mascarade
    Bang: The Dice Game
    Incan Gold / Diamant
    Sushi Go Party
    NMBR9 (requires 2 sets to go to 8 players, but no rule changes)
    Codenames
    Snorta
    Railroad Ink (requires 2 sets to go to 8 players, but no rule changes)
    Camel Up (Supercup expansion not required but highly recommended if you have more than 6 players)
    Mental Blocks
    Concept
    Decrypto (Medium complexity)

If the requirement goes down to 6 players, then the possibilities explode.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    man, Railroad Ink is really great

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I maintain that Bohnanza is still fun at the full 7 players, as long as you use those rules for cheaper fields and extra cards to draw.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

Codenames.

Secret Hitler
    Mysterium
    Great Dalmuti
    Captain sonar

Guillotine does not go anywhere near 8 players. IIRC the box says it goes to 5, I think 4 is pushing it. 2 or 3 is the sweet spot.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

Codenames.

Secret Hitler
    Mysterium
    Great Dalmuti
    Captain sonar

Guillotine does not go anywhere near 8 players. IIRC the box says it goes to 5, I think 4 is pushing it. 2 or 3 is the sweet spot.

Could swear I remembered it sitting more; maybe I'm confused!

Mascarade is a good choice, though, just to add to that suggestion.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Crush them

Nah, every time I play Brass Birmingham I never really know why I won or lost.

I'm just always happy and satisfied.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    this is where I would recommend The Thing except for the most absurd scenario where apparently the people who made the thing didn't have the rights to the thing so now you can't buy the thing.

but besides that I think Camel Up is my favorite in that space, the new edition adds betting partnerships which helps at higher player counts but i don't know if it's compatible with supercup or not I didn't think so but i never confirmed

• Options
    I don’t think the new edition is compatible, but it includes some elements that were part of the expansion before. Partnerships are one of those. I haven’t gotten to try the new one yet but it might be fine at high counts as-is.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. The games don't have to go all the way up to 8 players. I usually have anywhere between 3 and 6 people normally (workplace lunch gaming). I just wanted to give a range.

• Options
    6 opens tons of options. Don't have time to write em up atm but some off the top of my head.

Medici
    Insider
    Just One
    Divinity Derby
    Winners Circle
    Paris Connection
    Lama
    Parade

• Options
    "Workplace lunch gaming" is the key phrase here. I organize this at my workplace, and can never predict the number of players which has ranged from 3 to 12, so I bring several options. The games must be teachable to experienced or new players in 5 minutes or less, and should play in 40 minutes or so, in order to give players time to get their food too. There's also a limit to how much of a table hog they can be.

Here's a list of games we've played at lunch so far this year.

Nefarious
    Fairy Tile
    Such a Thing?
    Mint Delivery
    Deckscape: Heist in Venice
    Ricochet Poker
    Can't Stop
    Mystery Rummy: Al Capone
    Concept
    Bob Ross: Art of Chill
    TransAmerica
    In a Grove
    Just One
    Railroad Ink
    Twins
    Incan Gold
    Wits & Wagers
    Chrononauts
    NMBR 9
    Mental Blocks
    Camel Up
    Letter Jam
    Dixit
    Mysterium
    Bang: The Dice Game
    Mascarade
    Snorta

• Options
    i'm suddenly getting 6 kickstarters delivered this weekend

up yours, the mail

• Options
    My FLGS is having an anniversary sale, which combined with my member discount amounts to ~40% off all games.

Problem: I am actively trying to rein in the size of my collection.

Solution: My Christmas shopping is done.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Welcome To: - player count goes as high as you want and dosent change the game too much.

7 wonders + expansion goes to 8.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If welcome to is back in stock you should definitely pick up a copy, that game is great and easy to play.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I have some research to do. TO THE FLGS!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If welcome to is back in stock you should definitely pick up a copy, that game is great and easy to play.
    Ive seen it at a couple different stores. Also they have theme packs with alternate art suburbs.

• Options
    They carry Welcome To at Barnes and Noble now, should be easy to get a copy of.