As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Well I'm back from Celebration. Here's a pic I took of the Purge Trooper from my seat at the panel:

1SxoyPX.jpg

What an amazing experience, I can't wait for this game!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Great article on JFO as part of Game Informer's cover story:

https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/2019/06/08/the-true-power-of-the-force

This particular quote right here has me giddy:
    When the saber is sheathed, Respawn’s vision for the adventure has classic gaming roots and is inspired heavily by the Metroid series, pushing players to freely explore worlds, and come back to them later with new powers that can be used to reach different areas. Never once do players see a waypoint on the screen telling them where their next objective is. Respawn doesn’t want to hold your hand, and instead hopes you plot your own path through dangerous worlds that are teeming with just as much hostile wildlife as heavily armed Imperial Forces.

Also here is the gameplay footage from EA Play today:

https://youtu.be/8939aURV9Dc

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Respawn doesn’t want to hold your hand, and instead hopes you plot your own path

Lines like this annoy the crap out of me. Does the game have a narrative, a storyline that you can progress towards some ultimate objective ? Then stop screwing around and give me some sign about where that is.

Let me decide if I want to follow that storyline or just go freelancing instead.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not plotting my own plath, i'm plotting the path of a boring-ass white dude.

I mean... that is my path, but like... that's not what I mean. You know what I mean.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Will most likely buy just give money to respawn . This will backfire as after becoming super popular they will never make a titanfall game again...

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It bothers me when people say that he's a "boring ass white dude" or "just a "generic white dude main char". There are practically no red haired heroes in media (there are practically no red haired males period) and it feels good to finally have representation like this. I'd imagine it also makes the bullied 3rd grade ginger kid smile as well.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    From watching that demo it looks like a game from 5-10 years ago. Animations are pretty bad, the droid on your back clips through everything, the combat doesn't look any better than Jedi Academy. Maybe it's a big expansive metroid game but that demo was linear as all hell.

I call him a boring white dude because he seems to be one. He's a jedi in a disney star wars video game set between Sith and ANH, of course he'll be boring. That's what those jedi were.

The only hope is that the gameplay will actually be fun, and since they don't seem interested in showing us that it'll have to wait til reviews tell us.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Aistan wrote: »

I call him a boring white dude because he seems to be one. He's a jedi in a disney star wars video game set between Sith and ANH, of course he'll be boring. That's what those jedi were.

It's amazing that you were able to deduce this from the 15 seconds of story given in the videos released so far. Saying that a jedi character can be nothing but boring because you thought other Jedi's were boring isn't giving the character or the game a chance at all. For all you know he could be the greatest, most interesting Jedi character ever.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    That would be cool. Maybe they should show some of that.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

It bothers me when people say that he's a "boring ass white dude" or "just a "generic white dude main char". There are practically no red haired heroes in media (there are practically no red haired males period) and it feels good to finally have representation like this. I'd imagine it also makes the bullied 3rd grade ginger kid smile as well.

Doesn’t matter what the protagonist was , people would still complain. Don’t let it bother you.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    There are practically no red haired heroes in media (there are practically no red haired males period) and it feels good to finally have representation like this.
    Aloy from that dinomech game, "BOY!" from the most recent God of War, ...wait, doesn't Kratos have red hair?... Sean from RDR2, Triss from the Witcher series, Futaba from Persona 5, Moira from Overwatch, the Siren from Borderlands, default FemShep... wait I don't actually remember if she's default red head, or if that's just what I made her. Recent games, anyway. Older games... Gannondorf, Bowser, Knuckles, Bloodrayne, Heavenly Sword girl, uh. The kid from Bully, I think?

Lots. Not as many as generic white men, true, but lots.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I thought the demo looked ... fine. It didn’t blow me away, and I really hate wiffle bat lightsabers, but I have plenty of faith in Respawn that it’ll be good.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm getting kind of a Jedi Dark Siders vibe, from the trailer and listening to the devs talk about their Metroid Prime, Bloodborne and Dark Souls influences. I don't expect it to be quite as obtuse or punishing as Soulsborne, it's a Disney property...but that sort of methodical saber combat with a Metroidvania upgrade and exploration system could be a ton of fun.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I'm not going to list characters for a long time here (Ron Weasley?) but suffice to say, red haired men are not a historically unrepresented minority that would compare with say, a Latina Jedi or a Korean one. More importantly to me, I would be more interested in choose your character or an alien Jedi, since it's Star Wars. "We got this actor, so this is who you get" is a super boring choice. Are we to believe this Jedi from this extremely fatal time period will become a long lived character in Star Wars EU? Starkiller didn't even manage that, and I have the strong feeling his game will end up much more popular in the long run.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This game looks super boring. The combat looked slow and dull. The main character is literally named Vanilla Bob. The parkour and acrobatics looked really uninspired.

The demo/preview did not leave me enthusiastic about this game. I haven't written it off yet, but my overall first impression was entirely "meh."

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

I'm not going to list characters for a long time here (Ron Weasley?) but suffice to say, red haired men are not a historically unrepresented minority that would compare with say, a Latina Jedi or a Korean one. More importantly to me, I would be more interested in choose your character or an alien Jedi, since it's Star Wars. "We got this actor, so this is who you get" is a super boring choice. Are we to believe this Jedi from this extremely fatal time period will become a long lived character in Star Wars EU? Starkiller didn't even manage that, and I have the strong feeling his game will end up much more popular in the long run.

The EU Disney tossed out for the most part? I mean, they can basically call anything cannon regardless now.

And the EU had forgotten Jedi falling out of the woodwork.

But it seems odd to not include a 'pick your face or M/F' options. Would a 2nd voice actor really cost that much more?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    But it seems odd to not include a 'pick your face or M/F' options. Would a 2nd voice actor really cost that much more?
    You also have to do all new animations, including facial animation for all the dialogue, etc. Super expensive.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I thought the demo video was super bland, but then I listened to the Game Informer podcast, and I’m wondering why they chose show what sounds like the least interesting stretch of game they could.

I’m also not psyched about the story set up. I’m a big proponent of the idea that you can tell literally any kind of story in the Star Wars universe so I’m not thrilled about how similar to Rebels this is at first glance.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Is it so hard to believe they're looking for a softball after the colossal cuss up that was Battlefield 2?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    No, that's entirely believable.

But that doesn't mean anyone has to like how soft it looks.

reVerse on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Ashoka Tano did pretty well for herself.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Ashoka Tano did pretty well for herself.

Ashoka is now the best example of this and new boy is... a bad copy of her exact history? He's also a Jedi trainee who didn't make it to Knight who now is one of the strongest Jedi out there by pure luck. Only he doesn't have a multi year TV show to make people like him...

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    That gameplay looked thoroughly underwhelming.

The wifflebat lightsabers don't bother me that much. It's just a concession for gameplay... but that doesn't mean the gameplay has to be janky and drab. If you're going to go this way, lean more into the Sekiro and Dark Souls vibes.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular

More importantly to me, I would be more interested in choose your character or an alien Jedi, since it's Star Wars. "We got this actor, so this is who you get" is a super boring choice.

This is exactly it for me, and why he's a big BLAH in my opinion. It's not that I dislike the actor (though I actually kinda do because that guy will always just remind me of the proto Joker from Gotham) but because this is Star Wars and my favorite games are always the ones that let me be a Twi'lek or something, you know? We've had games for decades that allowed you to play a male or female version of the main character if you're not allowed to customize. You don't even have to change their name, just make it mildly ambiguous! Because this is already so common in games it's annoying if it's not an option here.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I do like shoulder droid dispensing healing items and doing the hacking so generic Jedi isn't doing everything himself.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I do like shoulder droid dispensing healing items and doing the hacking so generic Jedi isn't doing everything himself.

That's taken directly from GEARS OF WAR.

• Options
    The Empire was shown to be ruthlessly effective at exterminating the Jedi order.

With as much lightsabering and "HEY I'M A JEDI" that this guy is doing, he should be dead. A long time ago.

The Jedi Order was wiped out to only two survivors: Yoda and Kenobi, who were two of the greatest Jedi of all time. And they survived by going so remote and so low-profile that they basically gave up being Jedi completely.

On the other hand, this kid is out there runnin' and jumpin' and swingin' his lightsaber all over the place and basically, yeah... I cannot believe for even one second that this kid is still alive.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The Empire was shown to be ruthlessly effective at exterminating the Jedi order.

With as much lightsabering and "HEY I'M A JEDI" that this guy is doing, he should be dead. A long time ago.

The Jedi Order was wiped out to only two survivors: Yoda and Kenobi, who were two of the greatest Jedi of all time. And they survived by going so remote and so low-profile that they basically gave up being Jedi completely.

On the other hand, this kid is out there runnin' and jumpin' and swingin' his lightsaber all over the place and basically, yeah... I cannot believe for even one second that this kid is still alive.

....he could die at the end.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    The first trailer implied that he had been living completely stealth until he used the force to save a friend/coworker from an industrial accident.
    Presumably that event put him on the imperial radar, and he figured he better go all out once they started actively hunting him.

...but yeah, there’s no way this chump is surviving the end of the game

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

He could!

But my point is that Order 66 was so successful and so effective that he should already be dead right now. Not at the end of his video game. Especially given the footage we've seen of the game and how nonchalantly he's going about the galaxy, screaming of his existence in the face of the Empire.

My point is that I'm having a hard time buying in on this story.

They could have picked any other period to tell their story and it would have been ok. But they decided to base the story during the only period in the galactic history (that we know about) where the Jedi were exterminated down to 2 people. Two of the very best people. And that makes it really hard to believe that Mr. Blando here survived, even for a little bit. But you're right. He still could die. I will be rooting for him to die because that's the only thing that makes sense in this time period.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Jedi weren't exterminated down to two people, though. Many survived.

• Options
    edited June 2019

He could!

But my point is that Order 66 was so successful and so effective that he should already be dead right now. Not at the end of his video game. Especially given the footage we've seen of the game and how nonchalantly he's going about the galaxy, screaming of his existence in the face of the Empire.

They could have picked any other period to tell their story and it would have been ok. But they decided to base the story during the only period in the galactic history (that we know about) where the Jedi were exterminated down to 2 people. Two of the very best people. And that makes it really hard to believe that Mr. Blando here survived, even for a little bit. But you're right. He still could die. I will be rooting for him to die because that's the only thing that makes sense in this time period.

It kind of goes to the point "If the Empire is so incompetent on top of being universally hated, how did they rule a chaotic galaxy with a brutal iron fist for twenty years in the first place? And how stupid were the people they beat to get there?"

Which is, I think, a valid complaint about the franchise adherence to occasionally contradictory ideas (in other words, I agree with you). But never let logic get in the way of a story, I guess.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    It kind of goes to the point "If the Empire is so incompetent on top of being universally hated, how did they rule a chaotic galaxy with a brutal iron fist for twenty years in the first place? And how stupid were the people they beat to get there?"

The two answers would be:

1. They didn't. Every movie and videogame shows us that The Empire did not truly rule the galaxy.

d) George Lucas

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I actually enjoy the notion that the Galactic Civil War is just over-stuffed violent blood feud between two cliques of the Republican aristocracy: the ones with good skin, and the ones with bad skin, and that most people didn't notice it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

He could!

The initial trailer implied that he was trying to keep a low profile, but he let it slip when someone was about to die. Maybe that was the motivation he needed to say "fuck it, guess I gotta kill some imps."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Never trust a Cheddar monk. What do you expect when you take a bunch of five year olds, give them laser swords, and teach them how to turn their enemies into sashimi.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Game looks...I dunno, it's just another stars wars game with a wholly uninspired hero and wait what the fuck is that forrest whitaker? Ah well, I don't think he'll save it.

At least they tied it in with Saw. Wonder if anyone else shows up.

I hope we find out he survived because he was in the can when Anakin went to town on the younglings. "I'm bac....holy nerf herders!"

Nosf on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The game looks fine but I think the people overreacting to it are much more entertaining

Star Wars is truly a cursed property, and yet this will still make $$$