Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

13536373941

Posts

  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does anyone know how co-signers works?

    My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

    I would think it would be pretty similar to when a spouse cosigns on loan and both are listed on title.

    That sounds simple enough, I'm hoping he's into it since it would be a good investment for both of us and not cost too much more than splitting a 2 bedroom apartment.

    Have you guys talked about what happens if either of you get a long term SO?

    Elvenshae
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does anyone know how co-signers works?

    My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

    I would think it would be pretty similar to when a spouse cosigns on loan and both are listed on title.

    That sounds simple enough, I'm hoping he's into it since it would be a good investment for both of us and not cost too much more than splitting a 2 bedroom apartment.

    Have you guys talked about what happens if either of you get a long term SO?

    Of course not, what do we look like responsible adults?!

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    MugsleyHappylilElfBouwsTJebus314
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does anyone know how co-signers works?

    My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

    I would think it would be pretty similar to when a spouse cosigns on loan and both are listed on title.

    That sounds simple enough, I'm hoping he's into it since it would be a good investment for both of us and not cost too much more than splitting a 2 bedroom apartment.

    Have you guys talked about what happens if either of you get a long term SO?

    Of course not, what do we look like responsible adults?!

    I wonder what it'd be like to form an LLC for real estate and just buy it under that and charge yourselves rent and technically the company owns the property instead of both of you being on the title and the messiness of getting that title rejiggered when/if the time comes.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does anyone know how co-signers works?

    My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

    I would think it would be pretty similar to when a spouse cosigns on loan and both are listed on title.

    That sounds simple enough, I'm hoping he's into it since it would be a good investment for both of us and not cost too much more than splitting a 2 bedroom apartment.

    Have you guys talked about what happens if either of you get a long term SO?

    Of course not, what do we look like responsible adults?!

    I wonder what it'd be like to form an LLC for real estate and just buy it under that and charge yourselves rent and technically the company owns the property instead of both of you being on the title and the messiness of getting that title rejiggered when/if the time comes.

    It would be an additional 800 a year, but otherwise probably not much overhead. I doubt it would really help keep the situation from getting ugly were that to happen. The main reason I'm even thinking about it is because of how our family generally thinks of money.

    Basically my plan was to spell it all out in a notarized agreement beforehand just so we're both covered, but I'm also figuring we'd be able to buy each other out after a couple years either way.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Something I learned many many years ago about having a co-signer on a loan is that your bad credit is weighted a lot higher than the co-signer's good credit. You'd think they'd weigh it 50/50 or something but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'd say that you generally want to have the person with the best credit be the main and the person with the wrose credit be the co.

    camo_sig.png
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does anyone know how co-signers works?

    My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

    Basically, both of you are completely liable for the loan. If something happens to one of you, the other needs to carry the complete payment. The lender doesn't care about the details, those are for you to work out, but they do want a check each month.

    Make sure to write down how you plan to resolve disputes and so on. For an example, say one of you moves out. Will the person staying be paying them rent, and do they have the option of buying the other person out? If both of you move out, and one person wants to rent it out while the other wants to sell, what happens? If one of you wants to pay extra towards the principal, do they get a larger share of ownership? Figure out between yourselves what answers you like, and write them down.

    (You might find out that the answers are more complicated than you might like. This is the reason why most people don't do this.)

    DoodmannElvenshae
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular
    Instead of an LLC, look at a trust. Similar concept, but specifically for families and properties and things, I think.

    chrishallett83
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    *rolls eyes*

    My agents just emailed me saying the house I looked at has an offer.

    It's been on the market for 3 months but it got an offer 2 days after I looked at it...

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Banzai5150thatassemblyguyCarpywebguy20ElvenshaeKruitebowen
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular
    Didn't the listing say it just had a price drop? My guess would be that was what did it.

    ShadowfirethatassemblyguyElvenshae
  • QanamilQanamil irregular Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    *rolls eyes*

    My agents just emailed me saying the house I looked at has an offer.

    It's been on the market for 3 months but it got an offer 2 days after I looked at it...

    Happened twice to me while house hunting. One at like 67 days on the market.

    Steam/PSN ID: FauxRomano | JBYC Podcast, recorded live and messy Mondays at 9EST
    Ketar
  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    *rolls eyes*

    My agents just emailed me saying the house I looked at has an offer.

    It's been on the market for 3 months but it got an offer 2 days after I looked at it...

    Happened twice to me while house hunting. One at like 67 days on the market.

    We had that happen with a house we saw and would have made an offer on. It had been on the market for a couple of months and just had a price reduction like three days before we saw it as part of a busy day where we saw about a dozen homes. We got back and were texting back and forth with our realtor and then found out they'd accepted an offer in the 3-4 hours since we'd seen the house.

  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Well I suggested we call their bluff and offer 40k under and they might accept that.

    So fuck me I guess....I need to somehow find like 10k.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    We saw our house the same day it went on the market and it already had 6 offers on it. We took a shot and we're apparently the only ones who offered what they were asking for.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Stabbity Style
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    A few years ago when I bought my townhome, the owner already had an offer on it but the person was being slow. I swooped in and had the place under contract before the other person could get their shit together. I managed to negotiate down from 167 to 162 in the process. At the time, you had to jump on something you liked. Houses were going under contract sight unseen. My desire to actually look at a place before I made an offer, lost me a few deals.

    camo_sig.png
    AbsoluteZero
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Anyone here have anything good to say about Nest thermostats?

    Ease of installation/use?

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Anyone here have anything good to say about Nest thermostats?

    Ease of installation/use?

    Basically, Nest and Ecobee thermostats are more or less equivalent. There are a few differences (Nest has the learning feature, Ecobee has remote sensors) and your home automation system might make you lean one way or another - but overall, it's basically "pick the one that best fits your needs."

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    RedTideAridhol
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aesthetics are important too. Pick the one you like the look of. I wish I could go back and pick the Ecobee.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Not saying anything bad about Nest (because I've never owned one), but I'm on my 2nd Ecobee and I love it. My first stopped sending signals to my AC unit (but not to my furnace for some reason) and support sent me a new one as it was under warranty. I couldn't have asked for a better experience from their support.

    I have an Ecobee 3 Lite and I bought two of the remote sensors. I'm not 100% sure how well they work as it seems it's still colder upstairs (where the sensors are) vs downstairs (where the thermostat is), but other than the aforementioned issue, I've never had a problem with it. I can control it from anywhere and it auto adjusts my temperature based on time.

    RedTide
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    15 bags down
    bojy3y00ifbf.jpeg

    I dunno, fuck, a thousand left to go?
    dcbtnw7pvi22.jpeg

    thatassemblyguyMichaelLCCarpywebguy20jkylefultonSkeithMarty81matt has a problemSyngyneAbsoluteZeroDoodmanndjmitchellaAegisStabbity StyledavidsdurionsN1tSt4lkerJragghenDaenris
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    BlackDragon480AegisMugsley
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Well they accepted my offer and put a 17 day pause to try and find a new place. Which is good because I am too busy this month to buy a house.

    But it sounds like I might be buying a house.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    CarpythatassemblyguyHappylilElfStabbity StyleSatanic JesusAimMichaelLCMugsleydavidsdurionsAl_watchromdomElvenshaebowenVishNubJragghenOneAngryPossumchrishallett83
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

    That might be going a little overboard.

    Now a flamethrower on the other hand there's no way that could go wrong, right?

  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 3
    2thb0buog87j.jpeg

    Making progress another 20 bags down

    But what? That only got how much of that big pile around the Abe Lincoln tree?

    qun4qd4p0quz.jpeg


    How much bigger can that pile be?

    40jquyb8tqde.jpeg

    Fuck everything.

    Captain Inertia on
    MugsleydavidsdurionsElvenshae
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Dead leaves are flammable, right? Just burn 'em.

    The grass, trees, fence, and other flammable fixtures? Eh, that's future you's problem.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    ShadowfireHappylilElfMugsley
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Dead leaves are flammable, right? Just burn 'em.

    The grass, trees, fence, and other flammable fixtures? Eh, that's future you's problem.

    Throwing future you under the bus works better when it's a tomorrow you probably not a "15 seconds from now" you probably.

    So get a fuse and some thermite. n.n

    thatassemblyguyHappylilElfMugsleyElvenshae
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah this is both gratifying (cause I’m normally an incredibly lazy dude so it feels good to break my body against a futile wall of leaves) and distressing cause there’s still another giant pile in the back, several large piles along the fence, a side yard that needs blown still and has a thick layer covering it, and the the whole front where I have 2 50’ trees that still have only dropped half their leaves

    Columbus is fucking dumb- all the suburbs have leaf pickup and I’d just be able to blow them in a pile along the curb

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    edited November 4
    My wife was finally fed up with the doorway we tore apart to get our fridge in (.....7 months ago).

    So I saunter to HD and pick up a door jamb kit. Only to realize this particular doorway uses 1x6 instead of 1x4. So I had to return what I bought and picked up some melamine-wrapped MDF that I had to cut to fit.

    It actually went up fast, but it still wasn't wide enough to cover the drywall that was run right up to the surface of the frame. So I got creative and put in 1/2x1/2 quarter round.

    Next will be new trim and it's done. This stuff can be a pain but this was a relatively straightforward project.

    Mugsley on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Hit those leaves with your lawnmower to mulch them up and fit more in a bag. Bonus points if you have a bagger attachment on your mower.

    Raking is for chumps. :P

    bowenShadowfirechrishallett83
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Hit those leaves with your lawnmower to mulch them up and fit more in a bag. Bonus points if you have a bagger attachment on your mower.

    Raking is for chumps. :P

    like if you're at the point where you're bagging up 30+ bags of leaves, it's probably cheaper time-money wise to buy a lawnmower that can do mulching.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    EvilOtakuBullheadDoodmannShadowfireElvenshaeStabbity StyleMyiagrosAridholchrishallett83jkylefulton
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    For reasons too stupid to get into, the house finally has hot water and I've arranged it such that you can shut everything off except one of the bathrooms thus ensuring future work doesn't have to compete with "but can I have a shower tomorrow?"

    Mugsley
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Hit those leaves with your lawnmower to mulch them up and fit more in a bag. Bonus points if you have a bagger attachment on your mower.

    Raking is for chumps. :P

    like if you're at the point where you're bagging up 30+ bags of leaves, it's probably cheaper time-money wise to buy a lawnmower that can do mulching.

    At the very least, if you point your mower's chute inward, you'll be both mulching and reducing the area you have to rake, though this is easier to do with a riding mower as the leave piles will start to grow too big to mow over.

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    If you tried to mulch that quantity of leaves, you'd just end up with a leaf-based sludge coating your yard, killing everything.

    nibXTE7.png
    davidsdurionsCaptain InertiaBlackDragon480HappylilElfKetariTunesIsEvilwebguy20jkylefulton
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you tried to mulch that quantity of leaves, you'd just end up with a leaf-based sludge coating your yard, killing everything.

    The assumption being you'd get a mower where it goes into bags.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    So, it seems that some of my drain tile, specifically that which should be carrying water away from my egress window well, is not functioning. I don't even know where to start with this - do I need a plumber, a foundation person, a new house?

    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Did they install any sort of clean-out? You may need to just run a pipe snake down it to break things up.

    It could also just be leaves in the well causing a blockage.

  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That’s a 30” tall (uncompressed) leaf pile

    Mulching via mower has been tried many times and does not work, and was maybe even more physically taxing (walk behind mower) than blowing/shoveling

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    yeah baggers on push lawn mowers are dumb, the riding ones are the best

    there's also leaf blowers that reverse to a vacuum and into a mulching bag

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    yeah baggers on push lawn mowers are dumb, the riding ones are the best

    there's also leaf blowers that reverse to a vacuum and into a mulching bag

    I've got one of those. It works, but you have to hold it pretty damn close to the leaves to suck them up.

  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Get a fishing net and string it above you to catch the leaves as they fall.

    camo_sig.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Get a fishing net and string it above you to catch the leaves as they fall.

    Every October your tanks and artillery will be perfectly concealed from overflight spying, too!

    nibXTE7.png
    That_GuyMugsleyLaOsSteel AngelbowenApogeeStabbity StyleDoodmannHappylilElfElvenshaeShadowfireSkeithBouwsTJebus314chrishallett83SporkAndrewwebguy20thatassemblyguy
Sign In or Register to comment.