Options

[Avengers: Endgame] It's out! OPEN SPOILERS!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Charlie America
    I agree that the Hulk/Banner thing happening off screen was weird.

The problem is that Hulk and Banner having issues was heavily set up in Infinity War. So what was the fucking point of that conflict if it is resolved off screen?

The gloss over that Banner gives is okay, but I’m dissatisfied by the execution. Show, don’t tell.

It’s like not showing the Vormir scene, but later Clint explains that, oh yeah, she’s totally dead and I have the stone now. It’s an explanation, but I think I’d rather see it happen.

Because they used the 5 year split.

The whole point was for us to feel like Scott is feeling (our audience surrogate during that part).

Again, not every single thing needs to be shot and put on screen. Movies cut a lot of shit, and judging by how most "extended editions" just get slogged down by the extra footage, it's probably for the best that they do.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Carpy wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I don't feel like seeing the Banner/Hulk resolution is something that's super interesting. From what he said it's something that he came to grips with during times of quiet introspection after the snap and then did an experiment to change it. Do we need a montage of Bruce moping around, sighing heavily, and reading self help books? My wish is that they would just go back in time and remove the parts where it actually mattered from IW since the payoff wasn't there at all.

While they're at it they could have Cap UNMAKE OUT WITH SHARON CARTER. God like I hope on his fun time jaunt through time he pulled himself aside to stop that.

"Steve? It's me, Steve from the future. Listen. You know Sharon? She's a really nice girl okay? She's gonna help you out in a jam and put her job/life on the line for you. Because she has feelings for you."
    "That's amazing, I have feelings for her too. Are you coming back because we like miss this obvious sign and I need to act or something?"
    "Oh no we totally kiss her in like a couple hours. But I need you to not do that because I'm on my way to fuckin bone down on her Auntie right now and I don't want to feel weird when I like, see Sharon at her birthday party or whatever when she's five."
    "Dude what the hell. I don't know how long it's been for you but like to me she JUST died. Like last week. That's fucked up."
    "Oh shit I forgot BYEEEEEEEE"

Given that Hulk/Banner conflict was a significant plot point for the past two movies having his resolution be wrapped up off screen sucks.

Plus seeing how the heroes react in the aftermath is really interesting. Tony retires to be a family man, Cap retires to help people grieve and move on ( I wasn't expecting this and like the parallels to Sam in Winter Soldier), Nat throws herself into her work, Thor sinks into a depression, and Clint goes on a rampage . Bruce tells us he found himself while eating a bunch more radiation, it's a crappy resolution.

Exactly. Hulk's entire story arc in Infinity War is that he got wrecked and is now actively refusing to come out. They tease us with him exploding out of the Hulkbuster armor to fight Thanos' hordes, there's the implication that Banner will work it out with Hulk and they'll finally unleash his full power to again, wreck Thanos' hordes.

Instead they take someone whose defining traits are ridiculous, unbound strength with uncontrolled rage and an alter ego of mild-mannered scientific genius and did away with ALL of that off screen. The Hulk we followed in Avengers 1, 2, and especially Ragnarok, was murdered off screen since Banner's personality is completely intact. It's pretty monstrous tbh and it is glossed over largely as a joke. And yeah the fake anger during the Avengers 1 journey was funny, but at the same time, why has Banner taken that body if he can't use devices properly in it and isn't using the strength? The only time you see him employ it largely is when is trying to use it to bully someone else like when he tells whichever character it was to let go of him.

His character was pretty badly assassinated in the film, and if anything it would've been the perfect iflm to let either the Ancient One or the Soul Stone be used in harmozing the pair and creating a merged Hulk instead of just Banner Hulk.

What jumps out at me here is that you're totally ignoring the Professor Hulk isn't Banner. He reminds us more of Banner because Banner is the one who talked more and who we think of a baseline, but Banner was super neurotic and anxious as hell. The Banner we saw would have never done that diner scene with the easy confidence and gregarious personality. I also think that Banner, without Tony or another to push him, wouldn't have so easily started fucking around with time shenanigans because he was deeply afraid of the damage his intelligence has done to the world. He absolutely would have never trusted himself to rewrite all of Reality.

It felt a bit weird to be just given this change. I get that. I also think wrestling with your demons and coming to accept that they're really a part of you is a pretty non-visual event and a bear to make interesting to watch. Really I'm more disappointed that Hulk never got to really throw down in this movie. There are strong narrative reasons why he doesn't face off with Thanos along with Cap/Tony/Thor but nonetheless I missed that potential scene.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Green Lantern
    Carpy wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I don't feel like seeing the Banner/Hulk resolution is something that's super interesting. From what he said it's something that he came to grips with during times of quiet introspection after the snap and then did an experiment to change it. Do we need a montage of Bruce moping around, sighing heavily, and reading self help books? My wish is that they would just go back in time and remove the parts where it actually mattered from IW since the payoff wasn't there at all.

While they're at it they could have Cap UNMAKE OUT WITH SHARON CARTER. God like I hope on his fun time jaunt through time he pulled himself aside to stop that.

"Steve? It's me, Steve from the future. Listen. You know Sharon? She's a really nice girl okay? She's gonna help you out in a jam and put her job/life on the line for you. Because she has feelings for you."
    "That's amazing, I have feelings for her too. Are you coming back because we like miss this obvious sign and I need to act or something?"
    "Oh no we totally kiss her in like a couple hours. But I need you to not do that because I'm on my way to fuckin bone down on her Auntie right now and I don't want to feel weird when I like, see Sharon at her birthday party or whatever when she's five."
    "Dude what the hell. I don't know how long it's been for you but like to me she JUST died. Like last week. That's fucked up."
    "Oh shit I forgot BYEEEEEEEE"

Given that Hulk/Banner conflict was a significant plot point for the past two movies having his resolution be wrapped up off screen sucks.

Plus seeing how the heroes react in the aftermath is really interesting. Tony retires to be a family man, Cap retires to help people grieve and move on ( I wasn't expecting this and like the parallels to Sam in Winter Soldier), Nat throws herself into her work, Thor sinks into a depression, and Clint goes on a rampage . Bruce tells us he found himself while eating a bunch more radiation, it's a crappy resolution.

Exactly. Hulk's entire story arc in Infinity War is that he got wrecked and is now actively refusing to come out. They tease us with him exploding out of the Hulkbuster armor to fight Thanos' hordes, there's the implication that Banner will work it out with Hulk and they'll finally unleash his full power to again, wreck Thanos' hordes.

Instead they take someone whose defining traits are ridiculous, unbound strength with uncontrolled rage and an alter ego of mild-mannered scientific genius and did away with ALL of that off screen. The Hulk we followed in Avengers 1, 2, and especially Ragnarok, was murdered off screen since Banner's personality is completely intact. It's pretty monstrous tbh and it is glossed over largely as a joke. And yeah the fake anger during the Avengers 1 journey was funny, but at the same time, why has Banner taken that body if he can't use devices properly in it and isn't using the strength? The only time you see him employ it largely is when is trying to use it to bully someone else like when he tells whichever character it was to let go of him.

His character was pretty badly assassinated in the film, and if anything it would've been the perfect iflm to let either the Ancient One or the Soul Stone be used in harmozing the pair and creating a merged Hulk instead of just Banner Hulk.

What jumps out at me here is that you're totally ignoring the Professor Hulk isn't Banner. He reminds us more of Banner because Banner is the one who talked more and who we think of a baseline, but Banner was super neurotic and anxious as hell. The Banner we saw would have never done that diner scene with the easy confidence and gregarious personality. I also think that Banner, without Tony or another to push him, wouldn't have so easily started fucking around with time shenanigans because he was deeply afraid of the damage his intelligence has done to the world. He absolutely would have never trusted himself to rewrite all of Reality.

It felt a bit weird to be just given this change. I get that. I also think wrestling with your demons and coming to accept that they're really a part of you is a pretty non-visual event and a bear to make interesting to watch. Really I'm more disappointed that Hulk never got to really throw down in this movie. There are strong narrative reasons why he doesn't face off with Thanos along with Cap/Tony/Thor but nonetheless I missed that potential scene.

Again, when The Ancient One soul-punches him, out comes Banner. There's no Hulk to be seen.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Snore, God of Thunder
    Maybe she can pick and choose which side she wanted to talk to.

Would you rather have a reasonable discussion about the implications of time travel with Bruce? Or the Hulk?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Banner has always been at the core of Hulk, even if they are different.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    In case this helps anyone in this thread, I've compiled a list of the bare minimum films you need to watch to understand/appreciate Avengers: Endgame.

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Thor: The Dark World
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Ant-Man
    Captain America: Civil War
    Doctor Strange
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Black Panther
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Avengers: Endgame
    Spider-Man: Far From Home
    Agents of SHIELD Seasons 1-6
    Agent Carter Season 1-2
    Daredevil Seasons 1-3
    Jessica Jones Seasons 1-2
    Luke Cage Seasons 1-2
    Punisher Seasons 1-2
    Defenders Season 1
    Legion Seasons 1-2
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Seasons 1-8
    Angel Seasons 1-5
    Superman II
    Memento
    The Godfather Part II
    Citizen Kane
    Ronin
    The Last Samurai
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Second Sight
    and Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    You forgot The Big Lebowski.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Green Lantern
    -Loki- wrote: »

And Aliens
    And The Empire Strikes Back

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Hot Tub Time Machine.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    How did all did all of you forget The Star Wars Holiday Special in that list

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Also really only one episode of Angel is really necessary for understanding endgame

Puppet Cancer

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Hawkguy
    Lanz wrote: »
    Also really only one episode of Angel is really necessary for understanding endgame

Puppet Cancer

Third panel is me

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/01/28/further-songs-of-sorcelation-part-six

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Charlie America
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

Puppet Cancer

Third panel is me

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/01/28/further-songs-of-sorcelation-part-six

The actual name of the episode is Smile Time. Puppet Cancer is just raised by the characters as a possible cause (though a mostly joking one).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Snore, God of Thunder
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Banner has always been at the core of Hulk, even if they are different.

Yeah, them being a split personality is entirely a trauma thing. A healthy Banner/Hulk would be a Banner with Hulk's confidence and force of will while the Hulk would have Banner's intelligence and self-control. Aside from the possibility of Banner just using tech to subsume the Hulk persona, Endgame Hulk should basically be the person the two make when put together, with or without the Hulk body. They're not supposed to actually be two guys in the same body; that's a symptom of their shared mental disorder, not some kind of good thing.

And yeah, Banner is the one we see kicked out of the Hulk form, but we also see zero change in his personality. The only difference is now he doesn't have a body to try and take the stone, so he's trying his hardest to convince the Ancient One to give it to him. If they weren't worried about time, that's the approach that Hulk/Banner would've taken anyway, because he clearly is not a fan of just breaking shit to get what he wants.

He does just as well without the Hulk body as with it, and he's definitely sure they need to take the risk. Old Banner would've had loads of self-doubt instead of pushing right back at the Ancient One's concerns.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Smile Time is one of the best episodes of television ever created.

But I'm not sure I understand why it's relevant to Endgame. Is there a line I'm forgetting?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Sulk
    Drez wrote: »
    In case this helps anyone in this thread, I've compiled a list of the bare minimum films you need to watch to understand/appreciate Avengers: Endgame.

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Agent Carter Season 1-2
    Daredevil Seasons 1-3
    Luke Cage Seasons 1-2
    Punisher Seasons 1-2
    Defenders Season 1
    Legion Seasons 1-2
    Angel Seasons 1-5
    Superman II
    Memento
    The Godfather Part II
    Citizen Kane
    Ronin
    The Last Samurai
    Second Sight

I like how you excluded The Inhumans.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Smile Time is relevant to everything.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Charlie America
    Nobeard wrote: »

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Agent Carter Season 1-2
    Daredevil Seasons 1-3
    Luke Cage Seasons 1-2
    Punisher Seasons 1-2
    Defenders Season 1
    Legion Seasons 1-2
    Angel Seasons 1-5
    Superman II
    Memento
    The Godfather Part II
    Citizen Kane
    Ronin
    The Last Samurai
    Second Sight

The what?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Agent Carter Season 1-2
    Daredevil Seasons 1-3
    Luke Cage Seasons 1-2
    Punisher Seasons 1-2
    Defenders Season 1
    Legion Seasons 1-2
    Angel Seasons 1-5
    Superman II
    Memento
    The Godfather Part II
    Citizen Kane
    Ronin
    The Last Samurai
    Second Sight

I like how no one noticed that I excluded Iron Fist.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

And Aliens
    And The Empire Strikes Back

And Footloose, the greatest movie in history.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Ironed Man

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Agent Carter Season 1-2
    Daredevil Seasons 1-3
    Luke Cage Seasons 1-2
    Punisher Seasons 1-2
    Defenders Season 1
    Legion Seasons 1-2
    Angel Seasons 1-5
    Superman II
    Memento
    The Godfather Part II
    Citizen Kane
    Ronin
    The Last Samurai
    Second Sight

Iron what?

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    listen, you can get rid of that entire list and just listen to this, it's the MCU's entire history compressed into one song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXttl74aJgA

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Agent Carter Season 1-2
    Daredevil Seasons 1-3
    Luke Cage Seasons 1-2
    Punisher Seasons 1-2
    Defenders Season 1
    Legion Seasons 1-2
    Angel Seasons 1-5
    Superman II
    Memento
    The Godfather Part II
    Citizen Kane
    Ronin
    The Last Samurai
    Second Sight

I mean the fact that you included the Netflix shows at all is enough of a joke :P

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I have to say, that was the biggest surprise to me. I figured they'd undo it, not keep the repercussions (though I'd imagine the Hulk probably did a lot to mitigate that otherwise there would be instant global famine and etc.)

Saw this last week, and just catching up on the thread.

One thing that occurred to me At the end - if the Earth has had 3.5 billion people on it for 5 years, won't food productions be massively scaled back from where it was ?

And if so, when all the people come back, won't that lead to massive food shortages and starvation ?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I was thinking of any people that might have been in a flight when the first snap happened.

Some died back then (from pilots being dusted), some on second snap (when they appeared in mid air where their plane used to be).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    No. Can't do anything about the planes that crashed or trains that derailed but everyone snapped back to a safe and sound location.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    No. Can't do anything about the planes that crashed or trains that derailed but everyone snapped back to a safe and sound location.

Says who?

Spiderman said they were at the exact same spot where they were fighting Thanos last movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's just not the type of film to go into the details of people suddenly plummeting from the sky to their deaths or reappearing in the middle of the ocean to drown?

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's been said here before, but Marvel ought to bring back their One Shots. They could then have stuff like Banner's journey to Professor Hulk and Steve's return of all the stones. They won't, of course; I think Chris Evans is done playing Captain America. And those upcoming miniseries on Disney's streaming service seems like it'll take the place of those anyway.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Green Lantern
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I have to say, that was the biggest surprise to me. I figured they'd undo it, not keep the repercussions (though I'd imagine the Hulk probably did a lot to mitigate that otherwise there would be instant global famine and etc.)

One thing that occurred to me At the end - if the Earth has had 3.5 billion people on it for 5 years, won't food productions be massively scaled back from where it was ?

And if so, when all the people come back, won't that lead to massive food shortages and starvation ?

The infinity stones can do anything. I would assume the hulk wished for everyone to be back and also green fields of lush crops

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

The infinity stones can do anything. I would assume the hulk wished for everyone to be back and also green fields of lush crops

I'm pretty sure future Mavel movies are going to have characters who lost people who definitely plummeted to their deaths when they came back.

That 5 year period basically sets up the next 10 years of villains and victims.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Say hello to Gary. Gary was on a plane to Pittsburg when he turned to dust. Luckily he appeared on solid ground. In a corn field 50 miles from civilization. And with no cell phone to call for help. Thankfully he was able to find help after hours of walking. He was able to contact his family. Unfortunately his spouse thought he was dead for 5 years and has since moved on and remarried. Gary also no longer has a job or income anymore. He also doesn't have a home anymore since in the 5 years it was abandoned and eventually condemned.

Gary's life was normal and great. Then in the span of 1 second from his perspective, he was instantly thrust into this waking nightmare. Sometimes Gary thinks it would have been a small mercy had he reappeared in the air and plummeted to his death.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I know they'll never actually address it because it's too big to address incidentally in a series of superhero movies, but I would love for people to legitimately be dealing with the incalculable consequences of dying/being reborn thanks to the Stones. It would be impossible to recover anything like a normal relationship with people on either side of that.

Edit: Although this is just a general thing I like about comic universes. They're always basically "whatever's normal in the time that this comic is being published" despite the fact that everyone has experienced the most wrechingly catastrophic events imaginable like 6 times a year minimum. Like if instead of hurricane season we had time-travelling alien dictator season.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Technically, the unsnap would cause all life-based food production to double with all the plants and animals coming back.

The answer to all other questions is probably the super-advanced country with infinite Mcguffin resources and a recent plan to end isolationism.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Imagine you were married, you get snapped, come back and your spouse is now with someone else. That must be awkward for everyone involved!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Imagine you were married, you get snapped, come back and your spouse is now with someone else. That must be awkward for everyone involved!

If one second I'm sitting here minding my own business and then the next second some dude is banging my wife, I'd have a hard time not snapping him.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I'm sorry, it says right here, 'til death do us part'. Death parted them, it's all sorted.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hawkguy
    klemming wrote: »

I'm sorry, it says right here, 'til death do us part'. Death parted them, it's all sorted.

They were only mostly dead! Very different!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Snore, God of Thunder
    I haven't read the past ~10 pages suuuuper carefully since I'm avoiding all Far From Home spoilers as much as possible, but I'm pretty sure nobody has posted or discussed this article, which I think is pretty good apart from its clickbaity title. (No, the movie wasn't "ruined." Come on.) The most compelling part for me was the "Marvel's battle against queer subtext" part which really rings true. I wonder how much of it is due to wanting to make millions of dollars in China and knowing that any queer stuff will at best have to be cut from the movie and at worst will rule the movie out of being released in the country at all.

This discussion has been closed.